Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt Ruapehu New Zealand skifield operator placed in voluntary administration

Poster: A snowHead
Wow, I didnt have an inkling this was in the offing, I wonder where its going to go.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300710275/ruapehu-skifield-operator-placed-in-voluntary-administration

Also from email from them

Whakapapa will continue to operate as planned, weather permitting, through to season close, estimated at 24 October. The three T bars – Valley, Knoll, and Far West – will be running, along with the Sky Waka gondola for access and sightseeing.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/zc9e1qnj1tno/3s0tNEGyUfJ2ciw15bv6k8/029e210db906a99d7f29ef645ad71b5b/Media_Release_for_RAL_11_Oct.pdf
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wouldn’t be surprised if vail buy it.

Been rumoured for a while and a no snow year after 2 of covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Must suck for all the life pass holders.

There’s been loads of JAFAS down south this winter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Real shame
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hang11 wrote:

Been rumoured for a while and a no snow year after 2 of covid was the final nail in the coffin.

There’s been loads of JAFAS down south this winter.

I do love the fact that even for a country as small and friendly as NZ the denizens of the capital city can still attract appropriate contempt presumably for their flashy international airs and graces.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are even more derogatory about Ozzie’s
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hang11 wrote:

When I was there a few years ago I seem to remember talking to some locals and they were saying that the new lift they had not long built on the Turoa side had been financed by selling lifetime season passes and they thought this might become a problem in later years.
On the other hand I might have completely understood. rolling eyes

Hope they get it sorted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ownership model is a bit like a community trust I think so it’s really difficult for them to access more traditional types of funding, or to bring in external investors.

Potentially a risky buy given that it’s on an active volcano. The La Niña impact this year is really unusual.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, my JAFA friends call each other JAFAs and it is always said and meant in a friendly fashion. It isn’t that derogatory, more tongue in cheek - love their self-deprecating humour.
Ozzies on the other hand… love ‘em too
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sad about Ruapehu
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, very. I spent a day there, years ago, pre-volcano, when driving from Auckland to Wellington, in theory for work. With a colleague who had never skied, and we had no suitable clothes. We went up in a bus, friendly people shared some sun cream, we rented warm clothes and walking boots and had a coffee, then I persuaded my colleague that we should rent some skis and try them out on the very nice beginner area with rope tow. The next day, at an official meeting in Wellington, I enjoyed feeling the very stiff muscle in my left arm, from so many trips up the rope tow. I was very impressed with the place.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Auckland isn’t the capital city either.

That’s Wellington. Populated by politicians whose existence is largely ignored on the mainland
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Auckland isn’t the capital city. …

But it should be. Toofy Grin

Will be a real shame if Ruapehu doesn’t continue in some form. Our kids, bar one aberration to Mt Hutt, learned to ski there.

Plus all those businesses in Turoa and National Park Village that rely on the ski fields and their customers will really suffer.

I was surprised when they recently invested in the gondola at Whakapapa. Cant have been cheap, and I guess bad timing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, A fair bit of government money went into that gondola.

I’m sure it will still operate just under different ownership, with a reset on debt levels and some out of pocket creditors.

It would be a disaster for the local economy if it wasn’t operating. There’s not a whole lot else around there.

And if Auckland became capital city the next step would be independence for the mainland Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Auckland isn’t the capital city either.

That’s Wellington. Populated by politicians whose existence is largely ignored on the mainland

Fair point - my attention letting me down in my dotage. I was mainly just thrilled at remembering what JAFA stood for.

Sounds like poo-poo news but presumably will get resurrected in some form albeit perhaps not as skier friendly. With the return of international tourism there must be some business in summer lift rides erc?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
With the return of international tourism there must be some business in summer lift rides erc?

I never thought Ruapehu fields were much of a summer destination. There is the Tongariro crossing nearby but didn’t think much went on on the fields in summer, but may have changed a bit with the new gondola.

Nor did many international tourist head there for skiing, most would head for the better known SI resorts. There would be the tourist buses that would stop on their way to/from Auckland/Wellington and the punters would get out for a walk on snow and a few sledge rides, but nothing big.

So mostly the domestic market and that would be from Auckland in school holidays and we would head down for the odd weekend when the weather forecast looked good.
snow report
@ster, It's a long time since I visited but I remember staying in Taupo but saving any attempted skiing til Christchurch and Queenstown. Taupo felt a lot like an outdoors orientated tourist town (and I know it is not Ruapehu) and like you say both are in driving distance of Auckland so it feels like a non-existant snow season is the root issue. Those photos look a lot like one of my recurring nightmares about a ski trip.
snow report
Looks like a lot of public money will be lost

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300710452/ruapehu-alpine-lifts-precarious-financial-position-flagged-in-april
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300710453/troubled-ruapehu-skifields-put-into-administration-owing-millions-to-government
ski holidays
There was great snow when I went. We'd been driving Auckland - Wellington and heard the snow reports on FM radio. We could just see Ruapehu in the distance, rising above the rolling, sheep-filled hills, and I persuaded my colleage that we simply had to take a detour.
snow conditions
So it seems that Turoa and Whakapapa ski fields are now separately owned and run ski areas, so the season passes are separate and don’t allow cross over except for a couple of gratis day passes. I guess the old RAL life time pass holders are going to get screwed for more money.
latest report
Any form of boat ownership:

A hole in the water into which you pour money.

Anything to do with owning part of the ski infrastructure:

Money which melts in front of your eyes
snow conditions
The bigger cost is leaving ruapehu closed. All the infrastructure would have to be removed from the mountain and everything made good. The government would be carrying that very expensive can. Obviously a significant economic impact on the surrounding communities as well.

The whole life pass model is one of the reasons it fell over, and the life pass holders as a majority group of creditors have got in the way of a number of proposed solutions, so maybe not too much sympathy should be directed their way.

Good to see it re opening anyway. Hopefully the new management are successful.
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
The whole life pass model is one of the reasons it fell over, and the life pass holders as a majority group of creditors have got in the way of a number of proposed solutions, so maybe not too much sympathy should be directed their way.

Good to see it re opening anyway. Hopefully the new management are successful.

Thats as may be but it took two to tango, RAL were happy to take their money for the life passes at the time for short term cash no matter how stupid their model was.

But as you say a lot of people rely on the slopes for a living so hopefully it will do well as keep big scale skiing in the North Island.

Is it community ownership do you know, and did the govt throw in any sweeteners?
snow report
Not community ownership. Govt have thrown a few sweeteners to keep it going but from what I understand there’s a fairly short lease in place which will need to be looked at. I think it’s probably a bit of a band aid situation at the moment to keep things moving as they work through a more long term solution.

Recent change of government will definitely be a good thing for them though. The economic impact on local communities would be a massive political fail, and the cost of make good will be a huge issue that everyone will be keen to avoid.
snow report
Not sure the life pass holders have much blame, though I’ve been following this from
Afar.

They did after all pay for a lot of the infrastructure, and if it’s a terrible season they don’t get to ski much, vs with debt funded infrastructure (like the Sky Waka), throw in a run of poor seasons and boom, couldn’t service the debt, game over!

Obviously there’s substantial differences, but the similarities to the poo-poo show on CairnGorm strike a chord. MBIE seems to behave an awful lot like HIE!

In both cases a non profit distributing company owned/run by a charitable/members trust had run the ski area since inception with non debt financing of infrastructure over decades. Along comes government enterprise agency decreeing a big massive grand sight seeing scheme is required that’s way beyond the financial capacity of the operating company.

Pray the Sky Waka was build better than the dysfunctional allergic to snow broken funicular on CairnGorm.

As an aside if I was a RAL life pass holder, I’d be raging at the receivers / MBIE - quite clearly the receivers overruling the liquidators and RAL to dishonour life passes on Whakapapa this coming season while using the RAL concession to trade was a nod and a wink sweetener to Pure Turoa. Receivers don’t have to honour pre-existing contracts, but this seems to loading the dice in favour of PT in a potentially anti-competitive stitch up.
ski holidays
Receivers have a clear legal obligation to deliver the best ultimate return to creditors.

That would be what is behind any decisions on life passes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy