Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
shep wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
@shep, thanks we did go via Mossettes and down into Crosets from there in the end. By cautious I mean I don’t throw myself down anything but definitely not used to turning back from a red. Good to know it wasn’t a waste of time having given it a miss.
Discretion is the better part of valour, esp. with a less-experienced skier in tow Cool .

Accessing the Swiss-side from Avoriaz, by ascending degree of difficulty/fun:

- download The Swiss Wall (Swiss Chavanette) chair (from Choucas chair or Chavanette drag)
- Grande Conche Bleue blue (from Cases chair)
- Col de Portes du Soleil red (from French Mossettes chair)
- Tovassière-Morgins blue (from French Mossettes chair)
- Les Mossettes red (from French Mossettes chair)
- The "ski-school couloir" (from Cuboré chair)
- The Swiss Wall black (now tragically renamed Chavanette Freeride) (from Choucas chair or Chavanette drag)
- "Death couloir" (from Cuboré chair)
- "Couloir poubelle" (from Cuboré chair)
- Col du Fornet couloir (guide only Skullie ) (from Fornet chair)

I skied one of the Couloirs du Cuboré, which was the second one you come to when you go down the ridge on the RHS from the lift is that Ski.school, Death or Poubelle ?

What about the gulleys to the left of the road running from Mossettes to Grande Conche, near the cross on the left? Where would they sit in the list?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@willhanson, holding up fine as I left on Saturday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
willhanson wrote:
Hello,

A group of us are heading to Morzine for the first time at the end of February. I have looked a various forecasts and can see that there seems to be no snow in the next week or two.
Is this likely to be a problem for us at the end of the month or is the snow holding up well at present?

it will be fine - there is currently a good cover the higher you go and temps continue to stay cold to aid snow making lower down. No need to worry and enjoy your trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
back to reality, huge thanks to all the helpful info posted on here.....

Looking very pro snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@willhanson, it’s absolutely fine on piste, other than on some busy/sunny bits over in Switzerland. We skied Chatel, Avoriaz, Les Gets (down to Perrieres and Chavannes) and the circuit last week. Other than some unpleasant brown bits on the circuit the pistes are great, including skiing back to morzine by Piste B or Retout Nantes. It’s going to be v cold this week so any gaps can be fillled by cannon - other than the aforementioned brown bits that really do need a top up.

Off piste v chopped up though - which is to be expected.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snoozeboy wrote:

The good news is that Gabelou is back open from tomorrow.

Just an FYI in that - someone (a bloke down the pub) told me on Friday that it would be running at only 13 chairs per hour, which I considered so ridiculous I thought he had to be wrong. And he was. Just drove past it and counted, just under 4 chairs per minute, so total capacity of ~900 pax/hour, around a half of it's nominal rate.

So given the normal relatively low usage, I don't think we're going to be seeing bit lift queues building up. which is nice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:
@willhanson, it’s absolutely fine on piste, other than on some busy/sunny bits over in Switzerland. We skied Chatel, Avoriaz, Les Gets (down to Perrieres and Chavannes) and the circuit last week. Other than some unpleasant brown bits on the circuit the pistes are great, including skiing back to morzine by Piste B or Retout Nantes. It’s going to be v cold this week so any gaps can be fillled by cannon - other than the aforementioned brown bits that really do need a top up.

Off piste v chopped up though - which is to be expected.

To add to Andy - the brown areas are generally always problem areas due to lack of snow making on these pistes that often southerly facing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
snoozeboy wrote:

The good news is that Gabelou is back open from tomorrow.

Just an FYI in that - someone (a bloke down the pub) told me on Friday that it would be running at only 13 chairs per hour, which I considered so ridiculous I thought he had to be wrong. And he was. Just drove past it and counted, just under 4 chairs per minute, so total capacity of ~900 pax/hour, around a half of it's nominal rate.

So given the normal relatively low usage, I don't think we're going to be seeing bit lift queues building up. which is nice.

We used Gabelou on the first day (Saturday) and it was fine - no queues and other than bigger gaps between the chairs all seemed to be normal. Emergency power cable in view!

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy from embsay, Chapeau mate.
Given what happened, I was gonna give it a few days before chancing my arm / life.
Thanks for taking one for the team.
This photo could have been taken just moments before something very bad happened.
Please post a picture of today's Dauphine to show you're still alive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@OuatteDePhoque, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
someone (a bloke down the pub) told me on Friday that [Gabelou] would be running at only 13 chairs per hour, which I considered so ridiculous I thought he had to be wrong. And he was.

I think I know where he got confused. There was an announcement that said that only a quarter of the usual number of chairs would be left on the line, bringing the total number down from 52 to 13.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, Makes sense, I hadn't seen that announcement; but I don't think it was correct anyway (or the estimate was later changed) as my own observations suggest that they've only reduced the number of chairs by half. No, I didn't count them all, but as well as the chair-per-minute rate the gaps between them were about double that on the PdS chair going the other way, not four times as spaced out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OuatteDePhoque wrote:

I skied one of the Couloirs du Cuboré, which was the second one you come to when you go down the ridge on the RHS from the lift is that Ski.school, Death or Poubelle ?
The first is Poubelle, which is hard to spot from the top (it cuts back diagonally towards the Wall); then Death (with the big rock in the middle halfway down); then two as far as I know unnamed, from which there's often a drop onto the run-out at the bottom, they're rarely skied; then the ski-school (sometimes called ESF) couloir, the wide shallow(er) one at the lowest point of the saddle. Great username btw Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 6-02-23 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL wrote:

What about the gulleys to the left of the road running from Mossettes to Grande Conche, near the cross on the left? Where would they sit in the list?
I wanted to include these, but to be honest I don't know them very well, and when I've occasionally been tempted to try, they've been unpleasantly sharky for the top section. I guess maybe between the Wall and Death on my list, if there's anyone who knows them and can rank (or name?) them, please jump in snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@shep, It was the one with the rock in the middle - so Death (nice).
Funnily enough the guide sent me in first as I was young and disposable back in the day.
I obviously made it look harder than it was, as he decided it was too hard for the others and then took them into Les Crosets via the t-bar from the bottom of Cubore. Had I known it was cheerily named "Death" I sure as hell wouldn't have been volunteering to go first Smile
snow report
While we're on off piste type stuff, what are folks thoughts on where to find some off piste fun under current conditions? Arriving Champery on Saturday and looking at stuff like Happy Valley, faces off Croix de l'Hiver, Cubore couloirs and Sattellite/other side of Tete de Lindarets.
Also for doing the tour on boards (can ride drags but kinda rather not) which way round would you go given Gabelou is back and Corbeau run appers to be closed?
Am happy boarding most stuff and well used to less than ideal condition in Scotland!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-02-23 16:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@OuatteDePhoque, Laughing Laughing Laughing . But you're the one who gets to relish that memory Cool .
latest report
@scottishandy, Well you'll not be surprised to know you won't find any powder, other than maybe first pitch of Vallée de la Manche (I heard there's still pockets up around Refuge de Boston, but that's a hike). Elsewhere there's lots of nice chalky off-piste in the places you mention. The traverse into Happy Valley is rock city, def a bootpack if boarding.

I think the clockwise circuit is slightly more boarder friendly, and misses the one T-bar that's unavoidable going the other way. Don't dismiss doing the bus link Linga->Chatel, on a cold morning it can be more pleasant than three long chairs back-to-back...
latest report
@shep, Cheers, sounds more positive than the icy moguls I was imagining!
latest report
scottishandy wrote:

Also for doing the tour on boards (can ride drags but kinda rather not) which way round would you go given Gabelou is back and Corbeau run appers to be closed?

Worth remembering that the Corbeau chair is always open for downlift, although of course you'll have needed to use the long Chalet Neuf button and the shorter Ecottis T-bar draglifts to get there. Doing it the other way you still need to use the Culet T-bar, which is one where I've seen more people having problems, with quite a jerky take-off sometimes lifting unprepared folks right off their skis,
ski holidays
@shep, a chap in one of the shops Friday was saying with skins you could still access fresh tracks (but that was before it warmed up over the weekend!)

@scottishandy, there was some very nice side of piste stuff around Combe Du Machon on Saturday, wind blown snow deposited from Jean Vuarnet above!
snow report
I suspect the warming on Friday and Sat did for any last north facing spots of fresh. I was out touring last Weds and the snow was pretty poor on all aspects, including northerly. Some OK chalky stuff here and there but inconsistent. Might be the odd high up couloir holding onto a few turns worth but I'd be quite surprised at PDS altitudes (and considering how long it's been down and how many folk were out touring in the small area we were in!).
snow report
How was yesterday’s snowfall?

latest report
Can you get from Chatel to Avoriaz at the moment without having to go by bus to Pre-La-Joux, i’d heard one lift was taken out by a landslide at Christmas
snow conditions
@OuatteDePhoque,

That was Ski School,

Death is the first one and Poubelle goes off Death via a short and high traverse to the right.

I skied death a couple of times last week. Really nice grippy snow and no bumps to be seen. The rock half way down was surprisingly small.
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
How was yesterday’s snowfall?

As uninspiring as expected. It snowed heavy for about 20 mins, put down 5+ cm and then stopped.

Ah well, pistes are nice, it's still cold and sunny weather. Glass half full.
snow conditions
Thunderer21 wrote:
Can you get from Chatel to Avoriaz at the moment without having to go by bus to Pre-La-Joux, i’d heard one lift was taken out by a landslide at Christmas

Yes
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, my mate (a very decent skier) got completely wiped out on Chalet Neuf button on Saturday. Very odd - he’s a pretty big lad (100kg I guess) and it heaved him right off his feet at the take-off and landed heavily on his back. I’ve never found that one too bad - unlike the écotis drag that jerks me about 3’ in the air!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, my mate (a very decent skier) got completely wiped out on Chalet Neuf button on Saturday. Very odd - he’s a pretty big lad (100kg I guess) and it heaved him right off his feet at the take-off and landed heavily on his back. I’ve never found that one too bad - unlike the écotis drag that jerks me about 3’ in the air!

Happens to me every time especially the one on the left. Cannot wait until they are finally replaced.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, this was the left one!!
ski holidays
Thunderer21 wrote:

It's faster to PLJ by bus especially during peak times due to the bottleneck at Linga gondola. Its a shame they seem to have permanently the Forrestiere run that was designed to take skiers form Super Chatel directly to Lac Vonnes to meet Gabelou which would have broken the monotony of having to download PDS chair. The run was only open for one season and has been fully equipped with snow making. The official reason for closure is due to instability and land slides - but locals seem to think the lift company did not obtain the correct land approvals and is now subject to legal action.
latest report
One man's monotony is another man's quiet reflection, appreciation of some very nice views, quick dram of whatever's in my hip flask...
snow report
Hmmm weather not looking good next week… rolling eyes
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
Thunderer21 wrote:

It's faster to PLJ by bus especially during peak times due to the bottleneck at Linga gondola. Its a shame they seem to have permanently the Forrestiere run that was designed to take skiers form Super Chatel directly to Lac Vonnes to meet Gabelou which would have broken the monotony of having to download PDS chair. The run was only open for one season and has been fully equipped with snow making. The official reason for closure is due to instability and land slides - but locals seem to think the lift company did not obtain the correct land approvals and is now subject to legal action.

A few years back after some heavy rain a number of the footpaths over that side were closed due to landslide risk so it might be true.
snow report
cu8406 - Fairly cold and sunny, what's not to like? Perfect half-term weather.
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
cu8406 - Fairly cold and sunny, what's not to like? Perfect half-term weather.

Next week (from monday ish) currently looking very mild... And potentially staying that way until halfterm week, but obviously that's off in FI...
snow conditions
Next week is UK half-term in most places and I think the average holiday maker next week with their kids will like the dry sunny weather. Hopefully it will also be cold enough to make some snow overnight. But as stated outside of the next 5 days we're kind of guessing what's going to happen.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
Next week is UK half-term in most places and I think the average holiday maker next week with their kids will like the dry sunny weather. Hopefully it will also be cold enough to make some snow overnight. But as stated outside of the next 5 days we're kind of guessing what's going to happen.

Apologies - not half term around here until the week after so I'd assumed that was the case for most places Embarassed However, whether it's half term or not, next week (from 12/13th ish) is looking very warm on the current model runs. No chance of snow making I wouldn't have thought. It does look dry and sunny though which will suit a lot of people but certainly the lower pistes are desperate for a top up and won't stand much of a thaw.
ski holidays
@Dashed, Not sure where you're looking, but on the forecasts I look at I'm seeing daytime highs hardly above zero at village level, freezing overnight, so although not exceptionally cold, and I grant you the forecast sunshine, it's hardly a heat wave and they'll certainly be able to run snow-making in those temperatures.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Dashed, Not sure where you're looking, but on the forecasts I look at I'm seeing daytime highs hardly above zero at village level, freezing overnight, so although not exceptionally cold, and I grant you the forecast sunshine, it's hardly a heat wave and they'll certainly be able to run snow-making in those temperatures.

Bergfex currently showing 16 degrees at 1000m in Morzine on Monday and the 3 ensemble models I looked at on the 6z and 12z runs are all showing daytime highs of 5-6 degrees (or higher) at 1500m ish.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy