Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
just debating what skis to bring out, only out for 3 1/2 days from next Wednesday. I'm not going to bring any touring gear so I'm assuming any Off Piste that is lift accessible/side of piste is all skied out? Leaning towards bringing my piste skis for a hoon around!

You are right to leave touring kit behind unless you would like to speed up cat tracks in the mornings for fitness / solitude etc. I would probably bring all-mountain skis around 85mm underfoot if you also want to play on side-pistes etc which are cut up and turned to bumps, which I enjoy. You will get tons of mileage hooning on pistes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowfraise, Where are you starting from? If Morzine it is quite a mission to get across to Linga and then across to Cret Beni (which means taking the Navette between bottom of Panthiaz gondola and the Cret Beni area)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 26-01-23 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, 76mm cheater GS skis will do fine then for hooning and cut up side piste and bumps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes @DJL, we've only ever got as far as the cafe at the bottom of Torgon in that direction before fear of being stuck in the wrong valley has made us turn around. We try to drive to Ardent as early as we can and get to the Blattins for coffee as they're opening. We could skip the coffee stop!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
@Ozboy, 76mm cheater GS skis will do fine then for hooning and cut up side piste and bumps

Yup perfect - my go to "PDS" skis are 86mm which are my narrowest. I was using 96mm past weekend but we had fresher, albeit cut-up. powder.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for your help yesterday. We've plumped for Les Gets as the accommodation suited us better, so will ow be watching this thread like a hawk!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@247snowman wrote:
Back in the UK after another Fab Week.

Top tip for any visitors who's accom might have poor Wifi or who dont want to data roam when out skiing/boarding.

Rent a Wifi Box from the tourist office in either Morzine or also avaiable from Avoriaz tourist office. Works out at 7 euro per day or 39 euro for the week and can connect up to 10 x devises.

Me and the Mrs have used these devices many times and they offer fast WiFi (fast enough to stream Netflix in the evening no prob or make 'TEAMS' calls. The Apartment we normally stay in has WiFi but its slow and the Mrs often has to do some remote working.

Also as its a mobile devive, can take it skiing and avoid data roaming charges.

See inks here.....
https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/good-deal/rent-your-wifi-device.html

Is this an unlimited wifi connection? My wife needs a good wifi connection, because of work. Thanks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dutchie wrote:
@247snowman wrote:
Back in the UK after another Fab Week.

Top tip for any visitors who's accom might have poor Wifi or who dont want to data roam when out skiing/boarding.

Rent a Wifi Box from the tourist office in either Morzine or also avaiable from Avoriaz tourist office. Works out at 7 euro per day or 39 euro for the week and can connect up to 10 x devises.

Me and the Mrs have used these devices many times and they offer fast WiFi (fast enough to stream Netflix in the evening no prob or make 'TEAMS' calls. The Apartment we normally stay in has WiFi but its slow and the Mrs often has to do some remote working.

Also as its a mobile devive, can take it skiing and avoid data roaming charges.

See inks here.....
https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/good-deal/rent-your-wifi-device.html

Is this an unlimited wifi connection? My wife needs a good wifi connection, because of work. Thanks!

We have these in Cnatel and issue we have fond is they can be very slow during school holiday periods as it the cellular data network infrastructure they rely on quickly become overloaded with peak usage from visitors, especially in the early evening when every kid in the village is streaming form Netflix or playing Roblox.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dutchie,

@Ozboy,

Both me, the Mrs and some friends have previously rented the mobile WiFi from both Morzine tourist Office and Avoriaz Tourist office.

Admittedly it’s not been during half term but has been over Christmas and New Year and the WiFi speed was great.

The boxes work off 4G. My understanding is the data is unlimited (we have steamed loads from Netflix and the Mrs has done loads of TEAMS calls when using the box). Never been an issue about data usage.l when handing back the box.

My understanding is that you cannot reserve a box. It’s first come, first serve.

So if you wanted one during a ‘Peak’ week I’d get to the tourist office early as possible on the Saturday.
I’m not sure how many boxes each tourist office has but we have never had an issue getting one.

It’s 4G so will be dependent on Mobile phone coverage/reception.

Our last accom was in Prodains surrounded by cliffs and the WiFi Box worked well. (Admittedly we kept the box close to the window in the Apartment).

Up to 10 x devices can be connected.

They come with everything you need in the packet/pouch from the tourist office inc charger wire.

You can take them skiing with you and keep the box in a pocket or back pack.

The batteries don’t seem to last that long when skiing…. Probably 3 x hr but that’s in the cold.

No reception in the Swiss side of PdS but great coverage when we were skiing on the French side.

As

@Ozboy,

Suggests.

Reception/data speed may be an issue at ‘Tea time’ during the Feb school hols but my ‘perception’ is that the mobile network in Morzine is getting better. (It might just be I’ve got a better phone these days).

https://hippocketwifi.com/en/

Is actually who the tourist office has got these boxes from.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@@247snowman, Morize is probably better than Chatel as we are squeezed against the Swiss border and I assume the devices do not work on the nearby Swisss masts. We used to use the 4G box to avoid committing to land based internet but we finally gave up on it and have now switched to traditional broadband.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We used one at half term in Avoriaz last year and it was fine for us (including 3 kids and the demand they put on one of these devices).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy,

Got Ya. Yeah that makes sence re: Mobile phone coverage as Chatel is 'shoe horned' in at the top of the Abondance Valley.

I once asked a (really nice) guest in Morzine at the end of their holiday if there was anything we could have done to make his stay better.

His responce was better mobile phone reception.

I sarcastically kidded on that we (the chalet company i was working for) were thinking of errecting our own mobile telehone mast and he replied 'great idea'. I really think the fella thought we would and could do that.

Mind you the bloke in question actually owns a Castle. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DJL wrote:
What’s the issue with Chermeu? I know it has been a bit hit and miss for a while but they usually got it going eventually. Bit of a pain when it’s out as @Ozboy says.

There was a board up on Sunday which explained it as "lack of snow". Since last week's dump, the snow coverage seems to be fine, usual corbeau issues excepted. However I don't think the snow depth is as much as usual.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snoozeboy, yep that sign was still there yesterday. I was a bit suspicious that it's really to save money on running costs, as the uptrack is pisted and looks like plenty of snow (certainly more than Ecotis or Culet!).

On another subject, what's the deal with the Chamossière freeride area in Morzine? It was open today and great fun, but I wasn't 100% clear whether it was patrolled and avalanche controlled. There weren't even any marker poles except a couple at the very start, so we were relying to an extent on following tracks, which isn't generally a great idea. Especially as the very bottom was in the fog so we had to make an educated guess on where to bear left to rejoin the bottom of the Creux black. Anyway, we popped out in the right place in the end.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, I don’t think they ever have markers in the freeride area, do they? I certainly can’t remember ever seeing anything after the sign at the top before you pop over the little ridge.
latest report
@andy from embsay, that's what I was asking! Very Happy I'm not familiar with the area. Basically I couldn't work out if I should treat it (in terms of precautions) like an ungroomed piste (e.g. Creux, or even like Crozats in Avoriaz which still has markers) or like off-piste (i.e. should probably take avi gear and have knowledge of that sort of thing).

Its appearance on the piste map and the "ouvert" sign imply the former, but lack of markers imply the latter.

Either way it's all good, we've done it now Laughing
snow report
It’s the former - avi controlled and patrolled - but as you say a clear day is helpful to spot the exit.
ski holidays
@MrsM
Quote:

Thanks everyone for your help yesterday. We've plumped for Les Gets as the accommodation suited us better, so will ow be watching this thread like a hawk

Would definitely choose PDS over 3v anyday, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.
snow report
@andy from embsay, thanks.
latest report
Another way round the mobile wi-fi issue is to create your own 'box'. We went to Japan some years ago (not skiing), bought a local data sim card, put it in a spare phone, and all hot spotted onto that phone.
ski holidays
polo wrote:
Vast majority of output is too far east as expected, 7 models below for the 30-31, with only ECM and JMA showing 5-10cm (charts 6 and 7)

Is still the case in your view? The precipitation spike on GFS seems to be reducing every time I look at it!
snow report
@kitenski, yes, still a mixed picture, with GFS being in the shy camp, nudging the flow too far east. Pretty much nailed on for 30-31 to be a miss.

However the second low arriving 1-2nd feb is more promising, there has been more wiggle room on the mean charts for a while here.

Latest ICON 6z shows the precip band across much of france on the 1st

Even better for the NW on ECM 2-3rd

Having said that, there are still several models that keep the secondary low also to the east, eg the important UKMO and GEM. So until more back track west I'd be cautious, it's 50/50.

7 models here for Haute Savoie out to next friday.....some decent, some zero
https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/swiss-mrf/haute-savoie/accumulated-precipitation/20230203-1800z.html

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 27-01-23 13:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@polo, cheers, I'll keep an eye on the situation, possibly it affects what skis are bring next Wednesday!!
latest report
Not strictly Portes du Soleil, but Praz de Lys (just around the corner from Les Gets) was magical this morning above the clouds. We usually had entire pistes to ourselves and didn't even ski last another person (apart from resort staff) until 10am, having been there since opening time.

23€ lift pass (various deals online, use your PdS keycard) is great value too. Well worth a day trip.
snow report
Leaving today after two weeks. What a wonderful area. Loved every minute. Thank you to all on here with the information and guidance. So much help.

Did anybody find out why there was such a queue with super Morzine the last couple of days. It seemed to keep stopping over and over. We were an hour at the top on Thursday at end of day.
Yesterday morning at the base, the queue almost reached the roundabout on main street. And that was at 10am!
Strange, because in two weeks we never saw anything like that.

I shall do the snow dance when I get home.
Hopefully you will all get some more and have a wonderful rest of season.

Thanks again to all. We had a fantastic time and I'd recommend the PdS to anybody who will listen. What an incredible area.
snow report
@elefantfresh, glad you had a great time! (We did too!)
snow conditions
Arrived last night about 2300. Chilly this morning - about -5º in our garden. High clouds but blue skies visible up the Lindarets valley as I came back from the bakery this morning.
snow conditions
GFS seems to show it warming up to seasonal average then dropping down well below by mid week! Precipitation seems up in the air still!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in LG at about 5.30pm today. I was amazed how low the frost line was when I landed. It was a very pretty drive all the way up with lots of snow laden trees. The pavements in resort are still covered in snow and I cannot wait to get up the mountain tomorrow snowHead
ski holidays
@elefantfresh, @denfinella, So pleased you both had a fantastic time!
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Arrived in LG at about 5.30pm today. I was amazed how low the frost line was when I landed. It was a very pretty drive all the way up with lots of snow laden trees. The pavements in resort are still covered in snow and I cannot wait to get up the mountain tomorrow snowHead

Keep it coming, hoping there will be plenty we we arrive on 25th Feb!
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, there's still a bit of snow by the road along Lake Geneva.
ski holidays
€5.25M for 388m2 new build Chalet in Morzine. Seems expensive?

https://www.athenaadvisers.com/properties/chalet-draco/
snow report
Yes, it does, but I guess you get what you pay for.

We considered more extensive remodelling of ours to make more space, fewer bedrooms with en-suites etc. although clearly on an old (1907) extended property you'd never get to the levels of finish as a new one, but in the end decided to leave it as six separate apartments. Total habitable space is slightly more than that one, value probably less than half, even if it were remodelled.
snow report
Temps look to be creeping above freezing for 3-4 days later this next week e.g. highs of 2-4'C in Morzine Thurs-Mon.
Guessing this wouldn't cause too much melt of any note though?
snow report
Just finished our first day back in Les Gets since covid. Couldn’t have asked for better really. Bluebird sky, squeaky snow under ski, trees laden with snow and we even had that glittery snow stuff you sometimes get.

Every now and then there were icy patches, and on some runs (like Orchis) it was hitting the mud underneath so it probably could do with a top up soon, but as long as it stays cold this week, it should be a good week for me. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day, and I am LOVING being back here.
snow report
We had a good ski around Morzine Les Gets yesterday and much the same as you @Timmycb5, we’re really lucky to have such a gorgeous first day back!

It’s not overly busy - there are big groups of friends (mostly men) but no ski school snakes.

Every tree has snow on it still. There are huge piles in the middle of some slopes for later in the season and it’s really cold, so hopefully it’ll last till we’re back out in April.

The Arbis was terrific, and even the long ski back to Morzine on the Retour des Nantes is in good nick (we’ve seen horses grazing on the start of this before!).
ski holidays
Anyone watching the TV series Piste Noire? It was made around Morzine.
snow report
@rjs, thanks for the heads up. On which streaming service is it currently available in the U.K.?
ski holidays
@rjs, @Ozboy, First two episodes shown last monday on main french tv channel TF2. Third of six is on tonight at 21.10 local time. Interesting to see locations if you know the area well but acting / story are not floating my boat. Not sure it will be streaming yet but TF2 do have a website and you can watch live or on catch up. From memory you would need a VPN to access from the UK.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy