Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Ts Écho Alpin has been closed for a few days, since Friday I think, for mechanical reasons.

Does anyone know anything further and when it'll be fixed?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like precipitation at start of next week is disappearing off latest model runs… bug, was hoping for some fresh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dashed wrote:
Looks like precipitation at start of next week is disappearing off latest model runs… bug, was hoping for some fresh.

Yes not looking as eye-watering as it did a few days ago. The main bands are just to our E/NE. But we may still catch a bit of it. ECMWF makes sure of this, GFS really wants to put it too far away and it barely hits us.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vast majority of output is too far east as expected, 7 models below for the 30-31, with only ECM and JMA showing 5-10cm (charts 6 and 7)

Into the turn of the month there are a few more options, depending on whether a short wave phases with main low or seperates. Only one really outstanding chart from the 7 Op runs and it's the JMA (below). When it's 1 vs 6 it's highly likely to be wrong, but it does provide a glimmer of hope (re. 2nd Feb)

There was some excitement building at a minor SSW, leading to displaced strat PV, but these are notoriously tricky to forecast any impact on the trop. In this case it doesn't look like downwelling much, so instead we are likely to have a strong westerly period in early Feb, as the vortex sets up over Greenland / north Atlantic. Too far to say how it will impact the alps, but no sign of continuing deep cold. Best hope is for the flow to occaisonally tilt N of W. Likely to get wet and stormy over UK.

Quick look at total precip next 9 days for Haute Savoie showing a 50/50 split of 10-15cm or nothing at all.

https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/swiss-mrf/haute-savoie/accumulated-precipitation/20230202-1800z.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snoozeboy wrote:
Ts Écho Alpin has been closed for a few days, since Friday I think, for mechanical reasons.

Does anyone know anything further and when it'll be fixed?

I have read in the local press there is a crazy guy from Abondance currently preparing for a MTB speed record that will be run on the top of Linga - perhaps it is closed for this purpose.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo, (and any other locals!) what's the touring like in the area at the minute? Is there a decent enough base for the obvious stuff or does it need a top up?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dashed, my mate is touring around trois vallees this week and having an absolute ball, fresh light powder down low (he keeps sending me pics and videos)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
@Dashed, my mate is touring around trois vallees this week and having an absolute ball, fresh light powder down low (he keeps sending me pics and videos)

Nice. Bit more height to play with there I guess so probably a decent base before the last dump (certainly up top).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dashed wrote:
@polo, (and any other locals!) what's the touring like in the area at the minute? Is there a decent enough base for the obvious stuff or does it need a top up?

Yes lots of base and there were many people out touring on Sunday, particularly in the Swiss side.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ozboy wrote:
Dashed wrote:

Yes lots of base and there were many people out touring on Sunday, particularly in the Swiss side.

Lovely cheers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dashed wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Nice. Bit more height to play with there I guess so probably a decent base before the last dump (certainly up top).

Height not the only consideration as Avoriaz has the geographic advantage to being positioned next to Lake Geneva which adds to precipitation (rain and snow), and often tops the annual league table for snow accumulation. The lower areas are also pasture based and does now take a lot need as much snow as the more barren rocky areas at high altitude. The following table shows current depts as reported by local authorities (from same database as Météo Ski). To be taken on face value only.

https://uk.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/snow_reports.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dashed, he’s been skiing down to 1200m with no issues, kept low to avoid the cold and ski places he’s not done before
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers and yep, I appreciate PDS gets lots of snow (we're usually out several times a year) but they've only had one significant dump since we were out at a couple of weeks ago and stuff like Vorlaz etc was no where near skiable then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
Too far to say how it will impact the alps, but no sign of continuing deep cold. Best hope is for the flow to occaisonally tilt N of W. Likely to get wet and stormy over UK.

If deep cold doesn't continue how warmer do we expect it to get and at what timeframe?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dashed wrote:
Cheers and yep, I appreciate PDS gets lots of snow (we're usually out several times a year) but they've only had one significant dump since we were out at a couple of weeks ago and stuff like Vorlaz etc was no where near skiable then.

Hopefully you will be as surprised as we were after having been away for two weeks. The current deep cold is helping preserve snow and as is the continuation of snow making on the busy pistes.
latest report
@Dashed, haven't toured for a few weeks and probably won't until feb half term......have another group of piste buddies arriving next week, but as above the side piste is still skiable, and there is snow cover down to 600m in places, so anything above 1200-1400m has sufficient base for many weeks to come

@StretfordEnd1996, referring to 10-14 day range it looks like average temps, no strong anomalies either way, obviously day to day detail will change, with deep lows to our NW likely, there are many options
ski holidays
polo wrote:
@Dashed, haven't toured for a few weeks and probably won't until feb half term......have another group of piste buddies arriving next week, but as above the side piste is still skiable, and there is snow cover down to 600m in places, so anything above 1200-1400m has sufficient base for many weeks to come

@StretfordEnd1996, referring to 10-14 day range it looks like average temps, no strong anomalies either way, obviously day to day detail will change, with deep lows to our NW likely, there are many options

You make a good point about the lower elevation of recent snowfalls. We observed snow on the ground all the way to Bourg-en-Bresse at 240m on Monday while on the TGV to Paris.
ski holidays
I see that the British press is getting a froth on about ski lift workers striking during half-term. Have there been any official announcements of how the action will work? They are suggesting rolling closures, so not all lifts at once. Where is a good place to look for an announcement to come out in the next few days?
ski holidays
@The_Gate, There is already a thread on this:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163144#5077472
snow conditions
Thanks folks - a bit tied with kids ski school but hopefully manage a couple of short tours next week...
latest report
@Dashed,

I’ve been touring for the last three days. Away from the pistes there is just about enough snow above 1400m but it’s a long way short of a normal year. The problem is finding good snow. The south faces were cooked this afternoon and pretty unpleasant tbh. Too early and cold for transformation into spring snow. The sheltered north faces are still good and we skied some nice snow, BUT, a lot of the north faces have been blown by the strong bise blowing earlier in the week. You really need to know where you’re going. North facing couloirs are your safest bet. Skied a nice one today from Pointe de Chalune but there were so many tracks in it that it was almost moguled in the narrowest section.

If it’s just short tours that you’re after then you’ll have enough cover but the snow isnt tip top. If you want any advice about routes then feel free to ask and I’ll try and help. Or pm me. There’s not many tourers on this thread so I don’t want to bore everyone.
ski holidays
Hi all, we are currently trying to decide between 3V (Les Bruyeres which is in Menuires valley) and Les Gets for our annual family - with kids- trip. I've been to 3V loads of times but have never been to the PdS at all and what's stopping me booking is concerns about the disastrous weather they were having until last week. We're going end of Feb so not late season. Can anyone reassure me, or should we stick to what we know?
latest report
@MrsM, If there isn't decent snow cover at the end of Feb in Les Gets, I think it will be the first time ever that's happened. That said, given the start of the season it's had, I wouldn't rule it out!
ski holidays
@MrsM, How old are the kids? Ours are 20 and 17 and we have been going to the PdS for 15 years at various times of the season and have always managed a great amount of skiing. I think the latest we have been there is the 14th April - but like everywhere at that time of year, we tailor our day to first lift, and finish when the snow is getting too springlike for us.
We stay in Morzine and get the whole area pass and ski everywhere. There are so many hill and town restaurants to choose from that we always find something to suit. My kids have skied with friends and on school trips to Austria, Verbier, VT, Tignes etc but always prefer the family holiday because of the expanse. Occasionally I crave a long weekend to old haunts, but get drawn back every time!!
ski holidays
Dashed wrote:

Seems Vorlaz has been skiable in the last week or so - this lad had a lucky escape up there.

https://everwildoutdoors.com/i-cheated-death-in-an-avalanche-heres-how/?fbclid=IwAR26EV_KaF-VhorsMOypBD5MrMQDYDZJu0I4z3fQkbla7u55j6oC4xH4sKI
snow conditions
They're 10 and 7 so I've no doubt about the suitability of PdS. It's just its altitude and recent conditions!
latest report
@MrsM, pretty sure Trois Vallees weren't great 3 weeks ago!
snow report
Morzine is easier than Les Gets for getting up to Avoriaz and the higher areas if you're concerned.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Superb skiing in the Linga / Pre-la-Joux sector of Chatel today. Super Chatel / Chalet Neuf also good, but venture towards Morgins / Corbeau at your peril - the pistes under the Corbeau chair and Culet drag are covered with bare patches and stones. May well be closed within a few days which would break the circuit in the clockwise direction.

(Should clarify that snow coverage in the PdS is generally excellent. This is just a localised bad spot, and it's quite normal for this area to be bad - it's low, south facing and with no snowmaking.)

Can also confirm that Echo Alpin chair is closed due to a mechanical issue. Linga slopes are extremely quiet as a result! Echo Alpin and Gabelou (shut due to landslide) are both fairly easily circumvented via the free ski bus.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
Superb skiing in the Linga / Pre-la-Joux sector of Chatel today. Super Chatel / Chalet Neuf also good, but venture towards Morgins / Corbeau at your peril - the pistes under the Corbeau chair and Culet drag are covered with bare patches and stones. May well be closed within a few days which would break the circuit in the clockwise direction.

(Should clarify that snow coverage in the PdS is generally excellent. This is just a localised bad spot, and it's quite normal for this area to be bad - it's low, south facing and with no snowmaking.)

Can also confirm that Echo Alpin chair is closed due to a mechanical issue. Linga slopes are extremely quiet as a result! Echo Alpin and Gabelou (shut due to landslide) are both fairly easily circumvented via the free ski bus.

Glad you had a great day. Did you descent Linga once or did you manage a few laps of the gondola? It may be the longest red run in PDS at 3.8kms (excluding Paradis and others that rely on joining cat tracks).

You are right about Corbeau sector and it’s a shame Morgins have neglected this sector. There are changes afoot now the Swiss resorts have merged into one company and secured Valais tourism funding to the tune of CHF100m over 10 or 20 years(?) to develop the Swiss side from Champery to Torgon. The proposed hi-light is a peak-to-peak cable car from the top of Chalet Neuf to La Foilleuse to fix this part of the circuit and they will mothball the Corbeau sector. Work to replace Foilleuse to a modern unmanned gondola this summer to reduce the bouchon in Morgins.
snow conditions
One of the drivers for developing Chalet Neuf and on to the Swiss side is to reduce the considerable car usage that gets loads of people to Linga and PLJ every day.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, we did indeed linger at Linga! Did a few laps though a reasonable number of runs were closed including the bottom part of the red, and the black.

If a peak to peak cable car over Morgins does ever come to fruition (à la Whistler) it would totally transform that area.
latest report
@denfinella, you’d think they’d push some snow down to cover those areas up whist it’s still cold?
ski holidays
Matt1959 wrote:
One of the drivers for developing Chalet Neuf and on to the Swiss side is to reduce the considerable car usage that gets loads of people to Linga and PLJ every day.

You may already know they plan to replace all the drags in that area (5?) with two chair lifts from the bottom of the valley. One going to Chalet Neuf and the other in the opposite direction to Tour de Don. They will rely on Conche , Morclan and Corbeau to feed the valley. I see they will double the Tour de Don drag using one of the decommissioned drags. Hopefully they sort out Barbossine to support the amount of new apartments going up in that area. It’s currently a PITA with TK Chermeu not operating meaning a long detour up Chalet Neuf to get back to SC if one wants to lap Morclan to the bottom.
latest report
What’s the issue with Chermeu? I know it has been a bit hit and miss for a while but they usually got it going eventually. Bit of a pain when it’s out as @Ozboy says.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
What’s the issue with Chermeu? I know it has been a bit hit and miss for a while but they usually got it going eventually. Bit of a pain when it’s out as @Ozboy says.

Don’t know but was out of action all last weekend. Perhaps they only fire it up for holidays?
snow conditions
Heading out tomorrow snowHead

With the Gabelou out of action, and our love of getting as far as possible, I wonder if this is the year to get to Cret Beni/La Combe by bus from the bottom of the Linga. After all, we'll be on a bus to Super Chatel anyway. Does the bus go that far?

Worth doing?
snow report
just debating what skis to bring out, only out for 3 1/2 days from next Wednesday. I'm not going to bring any touring gear so I'm assuming any Off Piste that is lift accessible/side of piste is all skied out? Leaning towards bringing my piste skis for a hoon around!
ski holidays
@snowfraise, there is a valley bus to La Chapelle from Linga but not so regular at c. 40 min intervals (TT below). Unless you time it right, I’d get the Gabalou reacement bus to TS PDS (less uphill walking than Châtel village to SC bubble) and from there head to SC for new Conche chair and take Morclan and head over to Britaz sector of La Chapelle via Torgon. You could get valley bus back to Linga if you decide to download Panthiaz. I have been told Echo Alpin is now working again.

https://www.chatel.com/medias/images/prestataires/392781-horaires_ligne_colombus.pdf
ski holidays
Thanks so much @Ozboy, , that's really helpful.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy