Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
Raven wrote:
Yesterday while waiting in the line in Arc 1600 for the bus to Bourg I met a friendly Dutch couple. The first thing the husband asked me was ‘what do you think about the Aborigine situation’ Shocked I was lost for words. I am not used to such bluntness and I suspect most Dutch people would also consider it a ride thing to ask. I mumbled something about it being close to Australia Day and something I’d rather not talk about.

That is rather in your face. And I would suggest not bus stop discussion. I would have been as taken back as you were.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Raven, Dutch could be very direct. That is how they operate.

Hope your travel issues will be solved soon. Also second a suggestion of a day trip to St Foy (taking a bus please go to St Foy Station, not St Foy Village)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mooney058 wrote:

Well, then they can fuck off in return Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As an Aussie, I would have just laughed and asked about the Dutch Slave situation
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lilledonmarco, but according to the SH resident cloggie, @stanton, this did not exist Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
@Raven, rolling eyes you’re having terrible luck on the travel front ! Good thing you intrepid Aussies are resilient.

It’s a helluva long and winding road from Bourg to Arcs 1600, with the funicular broken down.

Don’t know if you’ve invested in a lift pass for Paradiski already? If not tied to there then St Foye is a good day trip.

Alternatively the bus to Tignes is another option.

BTW, what do you think of the
Sir Les Patterson situation? Retire or plough on? wink

Hope your fortunes improve and that you enjoy the Tarentaise.

Can you get a free day in Ste Foy with a Paradiski lift pass? Or with a receipt from one of the BSM supermarkets? (ask chocksaway on the Tignes snow report thread about the latter).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used to be able to years ago. There was a mutual agreement between La Ros/Espace Killy/Les Arcs/St Foy

I think it got scrapped when St Foy village and ski area expanded significantly and Les Arcs git the lift link with La Plagne.
Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kenzie, @PeakyB, If you have a six day pass for Les Arcs , La Plagne , Val or Tignes you get a day pass in Ste Foy for €25 , if you have. Season pass in any of the above you get two free days .

You can buy a cheap ticket in Ste Foy on Sat and Wed with a Super U receipt I don’t know the charge around about 25 ish I think . It is quiet and the piste are in superb condition in Ste Foy however there were too many ski touring from elsewhere for my liking today .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mooney058 wrote:

Hope your travel issues will be solved soon. Also second a suggestion of a day trip to St Foy (taking a bus please go to St Foy Station, not St Foy Village)

I’ve only got three full days here in Bourg so there’s more than enough skiing for me. Plus I’m getting a bus and train overload on this trip so would rather stay close to my base.

Next travel is on Saturday with a bus from Bourg to Geneva Airport, then a train to Zermatt. Hopefully the Swisss trains won’t let me down Very Happy

My eventual destination is Arabba in the Dolomites for the Birthday Bash. I like to think I’m taking a skiing pilgrimage of sorts on my way snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raven wrote:
Next travel is on Saturday with a bus from Bourg to Geneva Airport, then a train to Zermatt. Hopefully the Swisss trains won’t let me down Very Happy

If they do then really... it is just YOU Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wheres sbooker gone? I thought this was his adventure?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
Wheres sbooker gone? I thought this was his adventure?

Sorry, didn’t mean to take over and scare him away.

I’m keen more Aussie adventures from him as well
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, fyi he posted two days ago, he’ll be back
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Raven,
That’s bad luck with the funicular. I’m sure you’ll have a great time anyway.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went with a guided group to Courmayeur yesterday. I didn’t know where we would be going until just before the van left the Companie Des Guides office in town at about 8.45am.
I informed the office when booked that I was an intermediate skier. The guides (Flo and Lambert) asked the group of 5 if we were open to be challenged a bit. All said they were.

The group was a couple from Denver who have parents that live in Steamboat. They were good skiers. Another Australian fellow from Melbourne who has skied extensively in the northern hemisphere and been an almost lifetime member of a ski club in Thredbo (he used to live in Sydney). He was a good skier too. Thankfully there was an English chap who was about my level but a bit older.

We arrived in Courmayeur with dazzling sunny skies. The guides found us pockets of fresh snow. I was doing my best to keep up so I didn’t take many photos to look back on unfortunately. We then skied some steeper chutes.

The guides took us to a quaint restaurant with outside tables in the sun. The food was pretty magnificent. I had a pasta with wild boar ragu. Only 13 euro.

After lunch was where it got difficult. I now know I can’t ski in steep terrain with tight trees and obstacles in and under the snow. I really struggled as did the others in the group. (The guides attached a rope to the English fellow when he was really having a challenging time. I don’t know the full details on that as it was happening above/behind me). I fell a number of times. The guides showed a lot of patience though.

I was so exhausted at the end of the day and was relieved to be back in the van in one piece. I completely forgot to talk with the guides about the Vallee Blanche as I intended. I will follow this up more today but I had dinner with the guided group last night and someone commented the rope on the arete is not up yet.

As for the girls they went on the luge and did some shopping yesterday. Just a relaxing day.
After yesterday I need a recovery day so we’re all heading off to check out the town of Annecy today.
snow report
sbooker wrote:

After lunch was where it got difficult. I now know I can’t ski in steep terrain with tight trees and obstacles in and under the snow. I really struggled as did the others in the group. (The guides attached a rope to the English fellow when he was really having a challenging time. I don’t know the full details on that as it was happening above/behind me). I fell a number of times. The guides showed a lot of patience though.

I was so exhausted at the end of the day and was relieved to be back in the van in one piece. I completely forgot to talk with the guides about the Vallee Blanche as I intended. I will follow this up more today but I had dinner with the guided group last night and someone commented the rope on the arete is not up yet.

Doesn’t sound like the best plan to put you in the more demanding terrain at the end of the day when your legs are going to be getting tired anyway. They’d seen you ski by then so should have known you’d struggle.

The rope was up last week. You can see it if you zoom into these photos

snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Kenzie, @PeakyB, If you have a six day pass for Les Arcs , La Plagne , Val or Tignes you get a day pass in Ste Foy for €25 , if you have. Season pass in any of the above you get two free days

I never knew that the season pass entitles you to a couple of days, do you have to request anything else at the different resorts, or will the passes simply work for a couple of days? (Myself and the family have Paradiski season passes)
snow report
You don't get free days any more in the other resorts with the Paradiski season passes. Confirmed to me and my husband separately by ADS
snow report
Kind of with @BobinCH they should be taking it down a notch in the afternoon if anything.

Tight trees on steepish ground is certainly a challenge as suddenly where you turn and how tight you turn is dictated to you. And of course getting it wrong has painful consequences. Not that I've done loads. A lot of places I've tree skied has been more mellow. I've usually found it fun but for sure have had incidents lol.

Can't see why the roping up would be required to be honest. Thought they'd only do that where there are crevasses as we did once when doing a VB variant.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 27-01-23 17:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Raven,
You weren't on the replacement bus last night were you? See chocksaway's post today in the Tignes snow report thread. Shocked
snow conditions
Gilly76 wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Kenzie, @PeakyB, If you have a six day pass for Les Arcs , La Plagne , Val or Tignes you get a day pass in Ste Foy for €25 , if you have. Season pass in any of the above you get two free days

I never knew that the season pass entitles you to a couple of days, do you have to request anything else at the different resorts, or will the passes simply work for a couple of days? (Myself and the family have Paradiski season passes)

Used to be that you showed you lift pass and its receipt at the Foy lift office, they clipped your receipt & gave you your day pass.
snow report
@Gilly76, as above I believe
ski holidays
@Kenzie, no, I arrived Tuesday evening. Will check that post out.
snow conditions
@Kenzie,
Quote:

@Raven,
You weren't on the replacement bus last night were you? See chocksaway's post today in the Tignes snow report thread.

You mean this?...
'Ironically, last night one of the buses on the replacement service burst into flames in the middle of Bourg!' Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
I never knew that the season pass entitles you to a couple of days, do you have to request anything else at the different resorts, or will the passes simply work for a couple of days?
Bought our first ever Tignes/Val D season passes this winter. Shocking that they don't issue anything to tell you what (if any) perks you get rolling eyes
latest report
@sbooker, how has your last week been?
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I never knew that the season pass entitles you to a couple of days, do you have to request anything else at the different resorts, or will the passes simply work for a couple of days?
Bought our first ever Tignes/Val D season passes this winter. Shocking that they don't issue anything to tell you what (if any) perks you get rolling eyes

Probably because you don't get much/any nowadays. It used to be 2 free days in each of 3Vs, Paradiski and Ste Foy.
snow report
Quote:
Probably because you don't get much/any nowadays. It used to be 2 free days in each of 3Vs, Paradiski and Ste Foy
But if you get anything at all, they really should let you know... Confused

So do Espace Killy season pass holders get free days at Ste Foye or not Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, Yes you do and we , Sainte Foy season pass holders , get a free day in Val/Tignes
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

No surprise. We have 3 Valleys season passes and had to look online to check what additional benefits we receive (ie free skiing in USA, Japan, Chile ans Australia).

I spoke to various people about it in Val Thorens 2 weeks ago and even the locals were stunned when I told them about the benefits of a 3Vs season pass (including sports shop staff and ski instructors!) rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy