Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
@sbooker, hopefully you're already aware, but that train is a Ouigo:

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/ouigo.htm

I've not travelled on the Ouigo, but for that length of journey I'd prefer to have a buffet carriage etc.

The "normal" (Inoui) TGV tickets haven't been released for your dates yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yikes. Looks like they’re not cheap now we’ll have to book another one. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dumb Australian mistake number 1.
I will sure to chastise my wife who is in charge of logistics and bookings. Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could take a picnic from the station restaurant to eat on the train.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs,
Yes. We can buy a baguette and ham and cheese from the Bastille market.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, Click on the link in my previous post, it is a little bit more upmarket than a baguette.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh. Thanks. The blue font didn’t catch my eye. Getting old.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
You could take a picnic from the station restaurant to eat on the train.

Wow! Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
Yikes. Looks like they’re not cheap now we’ll have to book another one. Laughing

This website looks to set out the differences between the Ouigo and Inoui services pretty well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@sbooker, hopefully you're already aware, but that train is a Ouigo:

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/ouigo.htm

I've not travelled on the Ouigo, but for that length of journey I'd prefer to have a buffet carriage etc.

The "normal" (Inoui) TGV tickets haven't been released for your dates yet.

I’ve never heard of this train before. No frills doesn’t bother me so I’ll keep this in mind if I go with the Paris to Bourg St Maurice option.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rejoice. My wife hadn’t pulled the trigger. She had the page open on her phone ready to go but didn’t have her credit card on her. Do we live to fight another day.
I must say that particular ride seems quite suitable anyway.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another Aussie family here, we are staying in the same apartment block for pretty much the same time; it's my family's first time to France but I've been there plenty, so hoping the flights aren't too painful so it'll be a regular thing in future - Japan got to be Too Hard Basket this season so took a punt on Europe. Might see you around - husband will be searching for VB everywhere...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Eera,
There you go. How old are your kids?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Eera, VB? I think he’ll be thirsty! but other beers exist Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 14-10-22 6:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Eera, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
@Eera,
VB? Tell him to look out for Sapaudia Brewery beers - brewed in the valley.
snow report
Brings back memories from Oz
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:

For the kids board lessons I guess ESF will be fine. I’d like a French instructor for the girls so they can converse a bit.

Sounds like a great trip. Based on personal experience, I'd go for Evolution 2 over ESF for snowboard lessons every time.
snow conditions
@HandyHand,
Thanks for the tip.
snow report
Eera wrote:
Japan got to be Too Hard Basket this season so took a punt on Europe.

Any chance you can translate that to English, please? Hard basket? Puzzled
latest report
@Bergmeister,
If something is put in the “too hard basket” it just means that it’s too much of a hassle.
Crikey can’t you understand plain English cobber?
snow report
@sbooker, fair dinkum! Laughing
snow conditions
Why the search for oz beer in France? Puzzled
snow conditions
@abc,
Absolutely. And with respect to Eera’s better half if Australian beer is coveted VB is an interesting choice. Smile

The beer thing came up because earlier in the thread there was talk of hunting down craft beer when I’m in the Tarantaise.
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
@Bergmeister,
If something is put in the “too hard basket” it just means that it’s too much of a hassle.
Crikey can’t you understand plain English cobber?

I see. As there was no mention of anything being put in the said basket I read it as too hard-basket, as opposed to your meaning of too-hard basket wink .
snow conditions
We’re looking at booking a return train ticket for each of the females in the group. Bourg Saint Maurice to Lyon and back for an overnight stay.
Price is 93 Euro. Sounds expensive. Am I missing something?
ski holidays
@sbooker, does sound a wee bit expensive ...
snow conditions
@under a new name,
My mistake. $93aud. So about 60 Euro. Still not cheap.

In other news we’re now splitting the time in the Tarentaise between Les Arcs and Tignes. A bit of a risk given skiing in heavy snow might be tough without the tree cover in Tignes but the change in scenery will be appreciated by the teens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ll get into Bourg train station about 3pm on Saturday 7th of January. I assume the most efficient way from the station to Tignes Le Lac for six people and their gear is a taxi van? Would we have to pre-book that?
Also I’ll be doing an off piste ‘course’ of some type in the mornings while at Tignes. Any recommendations? There’s Snoworks or TDC. Any others I should check out?
latest report
sbooker wrote:
There’s Snoworks or TDC. Any others I should check out?

There's also New Gen, BASS and Oxygen.......and Evo 2 is fine - but if budget isn't an issue, TDC/Snoworks/New Gen/BASS
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag,
Thanks. I’ll check them out.
ski holidays
I'd highly recommend this taxi firm:

https://www.nktaxi.fr/en

Nicolas came down and picked up me and another Snowhead up from Bourg in the terrible storm at the start of the PSB last December. He spoke brilliant English and the journey was very comfortable. It cost ~90euros.
latest report
@sugarmoma666,
Thanks.
ski holidays
@sbooker,
Quote:

In other news we’re now splitting the time in the Tarentaise between Les Arcs and Tignes.

Excellent decision! How many days do you plan in each of those 2 areas? Where are you staying in Tignes?
latest report
@PeakyB,
Only 7 days in Tignes. We’re staying in Le Lac - just near the tourist centre.
The decision to go to Tignes for the first week was a difficult one. I’m still concerned what we’ll do in Tignes in the invent of significant snow days given we have two absolute beginners in our group. Visibility will be a worry. On the other hand it is still early season and if anywhere will have plenty of open terrain it will be Tignes/Val. The chance to show the teens another mega ski hill is a factor too. The site of the dam itself on the drive in is very impressive. And of course there is the Val Folie Douce that I hope they can experience late in the week once they’re mobile. And there seems to be more off piste lesson/course options in Tignes.
snow report
7 days a good start! Ideally I'd have gone Les Arcs first. On the plus side you've picked the best base location in Tignes I think. The beginners should be fine with qualified instruction.

You can get severe weather anywhere. Tignes certainly can be harsh in snowy/closed in conditions. I've probably skied about 200 days there and less than 10% have been a write off. 5 days of those were in one particularly horrendous week, over 20 years ago.

As you know, not too difficult to head over to La Daille and the ski tranquille zones there. Folie Douce treat if they ski well? wink
ski holidays
@sbooker, you will love Tignes! And do try this for dinner
La Ferme des 3 Capucines
+33 4 79 06 35 10
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JxB6c3WGqsj8HVNK6?g_st=ic
latest report
@PeakyB,
The time limit to seven days was due to my wife's (and the teen girls) train trip to Lyon early on Sunday 15th. It just makes sense to change locations to nearer BSM train station on the Saturday. It will give us an opportunity to set up camp there. We'll be in Les Arcs for the next 11 days. Hopefully the crew are mobile and we'll be able to have a day out to La Thuile for some Italian novelty.

I think I will take a diversion to St Foy for the day (on Saturday) while the others do the change over.
latest report
@mooney058,
Will check it out. Thanks.
Myself and my wife - sans kids - had a week in Tignes in March just gone. Terrific joint I agree. I'm sure the teens will love it.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
@PeakyB,
The time limit to seven days was due to my wife's (and the teen girls) train trip to Lyon early on Sunday 15th. It just makes sense to change locations to nearer BSM train station on the Saturday. It will give us an opportunity to set up camp there. We'll be in Les Arcs for the next 11 days. Hopefully the crew are mobile and we'll be able to have a day out to La Thuile for some Italian novelty.

I think I will take a diversion to St Foy for the day (on Saturday) while the others do the change over.

Hmmm, dangerous that StFoy - you may not want to return to Les Arcs or Tignes Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy