Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
@sbooker, I’m heading to London first. The maximum is going to be 3 or 4 degrees when I arrive but not raining so I’m happy with that.

I always end up turning the heating down in Europe. Once I asked the owner of a family run hotel in Austria how to adjust the heating because the room was too warm. He looked at me very seriously and said ‘but it is not possible to be too warm’ ! I honestly think he took it as an insult to his hospitality Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In a hotel.in Germany on 2nd Jan it was 26 in my room at 11pm. It never dropped below 20...and I had the window open.l and the radiator off.The receptionist was very surprised when I complained
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Raven, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, I think you said the others in your party had a trip to Lyon on Saturday, how did that go?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbooker wrote:

We headed down to Les Brevieres to take advantage of tree cover in the morning. I know you’re all hard core skiers so it’s probably not cool to enjoy 4 inches of snow on groomers but to holiday skiers it’s pretty special.

We might sneak into your "hardcore" category Toofy Grin - but would most certainly consider 4" of untracked powder on piste as a special experience! Eh oh! . Skiing here, you never know when your next powder day will be..

We set our PB last season and had 54 consecutive powderless days (spread between December and April) in the 3 Valleys. rolling eyes Sad.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@sbooker, I think you said the others in your party had a trip to Lyon on Saturday, how did that go?

Today actually. They left early today on the train. Will be back for dinner tomorrow. Kylie messaged to say the train is very nice. They had to change a Chambéry so got a coffee and croissant for breakfast.
OMG we’re so French! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bergmeister, if you’re on the hill now I think there’s a good chance you’ll be skiing fresh snow over the next couple of days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, update on the London forecast. It’s currently predicted to snow Tuesday afternoon, when I’m flying in. If it happens, I’m sure Heathrow will run like clockwork, won’t it? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Raven, doubt your travel will be affected by snow in London...and you've picked one of the few days when there are no major strikes planned. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sbooker wrote:
@Bergmeister, if you’re on the hill now I think there’s a good chance you’ll be skiing fresh snow over the next couple of days.

Over here in La Rosiere it is so fresh that it bites my cheeks… it is snowing horizontally
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My feeling is that these apartment buildings are almost self heating when full of people, especially when you are in the middle. We've had one's on the outer at quiet times and it's much less warm.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raven wrote:
@sbooker, update on the London forecast. It’s currently predicted to snow Tuesday afternoon, when I’m flying in. If it happens, I’m sure Heathrow will run like clockwork, won’t it? Toofy Grin

Weve had our snow for the year in London, didn't quite last to Christmas though Very Happy

Currently open blue skies, fairly cool but sunny today, i'd be surprised if there's much change by Tuesday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Temperature inside holiday accommodation in the Alps and in the UK isn't comparable.

We're in an Edwardian terrace, so insulation isn't great. The week before Christmas the outside pipe of our bathroom sink froze. It was so cold that the water inside the pipe had frozen solid. I didn't discover this until I ran the tap and the water didn't drain from the sink. I poured boiling water over the pipe which melted it just enough for a perfect cylinder of ice to drop out of the bottom. Up in our loft conversion, damp patches started to appear in certain spots on the walls. We could also see our breath in certain parts of the house. It was impossible not to have the heating on as it was so cold, it affected the house itself.
A week later we went to Austria where we had the windows open all night because it was so warm. Similar outside temperatures. Vast difference in build quality (my walls are basically 110 year old sand and horsehair). And as Layne says, we were in the middle with people above, below and on both sides.

Enjoying reading about your trip, keep us updated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, Good point. You’re probably right.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update.

We checked in late yesterday after having lunch at a one (wo)man band restaurant in the old town of Bourg Saint Maurice. We all had a ‘formule’ for only 10 Euro. A (non alcoholic) drink, a main (sandwich, lasagne, pizza type stuff) and a desert (galette, crème brûlée, panacotta). Superb food and entertaining service.

We’re in Arc 1800. The accommodation is typical French appartments built in the 70s/80s I would think. We’ve got two. One for myself and Kylie. The other for the teens. They’re small but pretty well designed. Ours has been renovated recently. The kids has not. Eh oh!

My wife and the two girls got an early start to catch the train to Lyon for an overnight excursion. I am going to hang with the boys.

It was overcast early and started to graupel at about 11am (at 1600 metres). It quickly turned to snow and by noon it was snowing quite heavily. We checked out the higher elevations but visibility was not great.

We spent the afternoon in the tree lined runs between 1800 and Vallandry. The visibility was much better.

The snow conditions were contrasting. Above about 1900 metres it was quite nice and really good in places. There are some closed runs that we skied. They had really good patches of untracked snow. We weren’t the only ones skiing them but they certainly weren’t being hammered by most of the people on the hill. Perhaps someone who knows this stuff (someone with patrolling experience in Europe perhaps) can clarify but my interpretation of a closed piste is it is the same as skiing off piste. Or do I have that wrong? Should I not be skiing those areas?
Anyway below about 1900 it was either hard and icy, scraped out (despite recent snow) or obviously man made. Tom asked why it was like “a slushy” even though the temps were low.

Chilling in the unit with a biere and some cornachons at the moment. We’ll head out soon for dinner. Snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. I was going to get a guide but I’m going to ski (they board) with the lads and I intend to get at as much of the new snow in between the pistes (and on the closed pistes) that I can.
snow report
@sbooker, you should not ski a closed piste. You don't know why it's closed ...it could e.g. be dangerous, have no snow below a certain point, being prepped for something.

For UK skiers our insurance would be invalid on a closed piste
ski holidays
@sbooker, ahhhh... valley prices! Very Happy

I don't have patrolling experience, but yes, skiing a closed run is broadly like skiing off piste. So it is not patrolled, risk of avalanche etc. Insurance would probably not cover you. Generally speaking I don't think it is against the rules, but it helps to know why the piste is shut - if it's due to avalanche danger then you should stay clear (obviously), and also beware of piste preparation (e.g. piste groomers might be working on it). But it might just be that the snow is a bit thin or icy. So... it depends.

Personally I would err on the side of caution especially in these conditions i.e. lots of new snow / changing snowpack / piste openings changing rapidly, unless you have reasonable knowledge of avalanche hazards. Depends on the piste / terrain though...
latest report
@sbooker, I don’t know if you saw this on the Les Arcs thread a week ago If you didn’t here it is a again , fascinating.

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/07/12/les-arcs-architecture-charlotte-perriand-50-years/
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx,
Thanks. I did not see any reason why those pistes would be closed. (Aside from too much unskied snow). Laughing
But the insurance thing is a good point…..
Thanks again.
snow report
@denfinella,
I know not much about avalanche risk to be perfectly honest but these areas were all low angle. I highly doubt they could ever slide. But yes. I think they could have been shut due to previously thin cover. One had a non filled small ‘creek’ running through it. (Small enough to jump over).
ski holidays
@sbooker, that could well be it
latest report
@Rob Mackley,
Nice piece.
We’re in Les Lauzieres. You’re up the hill in more modern digs from memory?
snow conditions
@sbooker, Nah that Rob Rar , I’m in Sainte Foy when in them mountains but used to ski Les Arcs in my teens and have stayed in many places in 1800
ski holidays
@Rob Mackley, Too many Robs.
snow report
@Rob Mackley, Oh. Sainte Foy. Sadly there is a free bus to La Rosiere but none to Sainte Foy. The two taxi companies I checked with want 110 Euro each way (for six people). I’m happy to pay for an experience but…….
latest report
My understanding is that skiing a closed piste will definitely NOT be covered by any normal policy because it is, by definition, "skiing against local advice". It's not the same as off piste - some policies cover off piste, some cover it only with a guide. I have sometimes skied closed pistes with ski instructors - but they've made the point that it's only OK because they have said so.
snow conditions
@sbooker, 9

Find a sunny day and take the bus to la Rossiere and ski over to Italy for the day.

Hot chocolate and pizza/pasta not to be missed.
latest report
@pam w, Got it. I will try to resist temptation. Now 50 the thought of getting at that safe untracked snow is similar to other thoughts 20 years ago. Laughing
How things change.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stewart woodward,
On my radar for Saturday. Changeover day being quietest on the pistes?

I’ve got to get the two newbies ready for those drag lifts by then. Very Happy
snow conditions
@sbooker, a piste can be closed for a number of reasons. The snow cover could be inadequate in places, the piste could be at risk of being avalanched onto by the surrounding mountain terrain, there could be piste groomers working on it (sometimes using winch cables in places, there have been nasty injuries and fatalitities with skiers skiing at speed into winch cables they didn't see, you can imagine what sort of injuries can result from that Skullie ), it could be closed because it's being prepared for an event. What is definite as others have said is that unlike off piste skiing you will not be covered by most (any?) insurance policies if you have an accident while skiing a closed piste.

My advice would be don't do it. snowHead
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
@sbooker, 9

Find a sunny day and take the bus to la Rossiere and ski over to Italy for the day.

Hot chocolate and pizza/pasta not to be missed.

A friend I ski with this week went over to IT side )my bro and I stayed on the FR side). Tough conditions, my friend got disoriented in zero viz and the lift back to FR was not running. Pisteurs put a couple of brave (ergh … stupid?) on a snowmobile and gave them a lift back uphill towards FR.

Drag lift is long but not too bad
snow report
Can you get somewhere sensible if you fall off?
ski holidays
I stayed in La Ros several times. Never made it to Italy. One time the weather was too nasty, another time my lightweight niece kept getting lifted off her feet by the drag lift. She was a good skier, and good gymnast, and managed to land with her skis parallel a few times, but the last time she just dropped off in a heap so we all had to get off with her - but we'd not got far and getting down again wasn't a problem. But it's so long ago, I can't remember the details.
latest report
@sbooker, the pistes you are talking about were closed at Christmas because of thin snow cover. We skied them a couple of times - insurance would have been invalid but risk was very low. Couldn't be bothered skiing down the track as much as anything. But yeah, you shouldn't really.
latest report
@sbooker, the public bus from Bourg St M up to Espace Killy passes close to St Foy on the main road. A taxi from there to the ski station shouldn’t cost much. Do the times of that bus not work for you to have most of a day in St Foy?
latest report
@pam w, I guess in the event of an incident one could drag themselves to the nearest open zone which would be dependant on the injury. On the La Ros drag lift thing I’ll be sure to have the kids practice on one here before we go.
@Alastair Pink, Good advice. Thanks.
@Layne, I’m glad someone else succumbed to temptation.

@PeakyB, I’ll check out the public bus but from memory the times were not ideal. If it were just me or only two of us I’d hitch but the chances of that being successful with 6 are limited. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Layne, Might head over to Les Coches which is your neck of the woods I believe. Any mid morning coffee and croissant recommendations?
snow conditions
We skied in Austria at Christmas and part of one of our favourite runs was closed because there was a section of about 10 feet that was completely devoid of snow.
At the end of the week I was stood on a higher run looking out over the closed run and saw a man and two children skiing it, even though the rope was still across. I watched as they then got to the empty bit, stopped, took their skis off, and walked that section.

To be fair, given the only other way of joining back up with the rest of that blue (that was open) was a steep red that was pure ice, it was the safest way for him to get down with his children. He was probably caught out as the run was marked as open on the boards and the map. We were caught out too, but opted for the icy red with varying levels of success.
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
@Layne, Might head over to Les Coches which is your neck of the woods I believe. Any mid morning coffee and croissant recommendations?

Unfortunately you are asking the wrong man as we never do that.

I did stop for a Vin Chaud once in about 1997!

Basically once we are out (which as you know can be a bit tardy!), we are out. In inclement weather we will try to get to a picnic hut for lunch but that is as far as it goes.
snow report
That La Rosiere drag lift isn't really that scary, but is one of the longer ones.

We took our daughter to La Ros when she was 7. She had all day lessons (from an ESF instructor, with Esprit) and progressed well - helped by having a childhood crush on the instructor (who must have been about 20) so she hung on his every word with obvious puppy eyes. Anyway she did so well we promised her the adventure of a ski trip to Italy on our last (free) day, and while we were a little nervous about the drag lift she managed it fine as a small child. We didn't actually venture very much further, did a few runs on the pass then had an Italian lunch in one of the cafes by the (closed) road.

I assume they keep that crucial connection as a drag lift because of the winds that can really whip up through the Petit St Bernard pass.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy