Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
Grabbed a decent coffee from Roger’s bakery in Val Claret. Got to talking the the Brit chap who owns the place.
“Only Americans butcher the French language more than Australians”. This was after I innocently ordered two coffees and two croissants. Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sbooker wrote:
Grabbed a decent coffee from Roger’s bakery in Val Claret. Got to talking the the Brit chap who owns the place.
“Only Americans butcher the French language more than Australians”. This was after I innocently ordered two coffees and two croissants. Laughing

I can remember calling into a place that did Vegan food (Vallendry area of Les Arcs), due to a contact my Daughter made, whose Father owned it. Her Father turned out to be a pleasant but forthright chap from the North of England. I ordered an Americano with milk - and then was told, in no uncertain terms, that if it had milk, it wasn't an Americano. I got the feeling that this was one of his bugbears. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, I suppose you can be grateful you met someone in France who knew what an Americano was. A lot of stress was spared when a native speaker advised us to request a "cafe allonge" (both the Es have acute accents).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
American coffee, surely a contradiction in terms give the stuff they usually drink.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
j b wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I suppose you can be grateful you met someone in France who knew what an Americano was. A lot of stress was spared when a native speaker advised us to request a "cafe allonge" (both the Es have acute accents).

I'm not sure how "Allongé" mine was....but Miss Farbagette actually got something to eat, which was a rarity on that holiday. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 11-01-23 21:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can just order an "allongé".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair enough, the allonge-ness does vary.

(I haven't worked out how to do accents on the Snowheads text interface, other than creating them in Word and copying over).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@j b, easiest on a phone, but AltGr-e on Windows will do an acute one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hadn't heard of an Americano until this Christmas. It has replaced negroni as my favourite cocktail.basically it is q part campari, one part red vermouth one part white vermouth.

I highly recommend them. They are expensive though 8 euros each in the abrevoir in arc 1600.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, let me try ... é .... wow!

(I hadn't even noticed the alt-gr key till you mentioned it).

Now to find out about grave and other accents.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker,
Got the group to the top of the Grand Motte cable car, yet?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kenzie,
A partial group. Two weren’t quite ready. On a clear morning on Wednesday I think. Beaut views of course.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Three of the kids were in lessons today. They have all progressed wonderfully. My lad has ditched his lessons. Spent the morning skiing the overnight fresh snow off the side of the pistes on the Val side. Tom zoomed down The Face with aplomb.

The three others joined us this afternoon as the cloud started to close in. Got the novelty photos with the big Val D’Isere sign and the ‘heart’ frame at the viewpoint. To my disappointment Santons was closed for some reason???? I enjoyed the ‘half pipe’ style when just me and Kylie were here last March.

The kids were very impressed with the fancy gondolas. Also we had a great coffee at Maison Chevallot in Val village. Only 3 Euro for a cafe crème and very reasonably priced pastries too. No croissants??

Eating in tonight. The crew are spent. I’m cooking. I’m going to have to wake two of them for dinner in about 15 minutes. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Santons was closed for some reason???

I have to confess I've never known it open.

It's great when everyone is exhausted from skiing, but not so great that they are not helping with the evening meal preparation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE,
The boys have had a night of dinner catering. The girls have had two. They will have at least one each next week. The tiredness was very obviously genuine.
I’m not far behind them.
Are you in Les Arcs next week?
snow report
Some nice FR white will help with tiredness;)
snow report
Quote:

The tiredness was very obviously genuine

I bet it was - and they've been pulling their weight with the catering, by the sound of it. Snowboarding is knackering.
ski holidays
@sbooker, sorry off to Japan on monday
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@sbooker, sorry off to Japan on monday

Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
@johnE,
Lifestyles of the rich and famous….
The owner of a chalet in the French Alps escapes the monotony by holidaying in Japan. Smile
Where are you off too?
ski holidays
@sbooker, great to catch up on your trip news and see how well it’s going for all of you.
Your timing for the fresh snow looks impeccable.

Any bits of Espace Killy you’ve not got to yet on this trip?
Have your crew voted on a favourite piste run yet?
When do you move to Les Arcs ( I think that’s your next move??)
snowHead
ski holidays
@johnE, you’re kidding about Santons never being open?

Catching Santons on a good day at a good time is one of the core experiences of the area.
As is coming down Epaule de Charvet and getting a birds eye view of it.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@johnE, you’re kidding about Santons never being open?

Top of Olympic bubble back to val via santons without stopping is a nice warmup run rolling eyes
snow report
@stewart woodward, Laughing
better usually about 10.30-11.30. If/when snow has softened a little and it’s not got too many people strewn on the ground.
I suppose 11am is a warm up run for night owls.
snow conditions
@PeakyB,
Yet to be decided which is the favourite run or area. They all have their own appeal. Lightly snowing here now so we’ll head down toward Les Brevieres to check out that sector.
I personally like the areas between and off the sides of the pistes best - especially after snowfall of course. The added bonus is the lack of other skiers.
ski holidays
@PeakyB,
Oh. We move to Les Arcs tomorrow. Looks like visibility could be a bit challenging for the next week to the abundance of tree lined runs will help.
latest report
@sbooker, you really couldn't have timed this trip any better! Very Happy

One of the highest ski areas (Tignes) for the first week when snow was scarce and some new snowfall fell as rain in lower areas.

Then somewhere with lots of trees (Les Arcs) for the super snowy second week.

Then previously rain-hit Chamonix in the third week once all this forecast new snow has hopefully opened up their area more fully.

You are very lucky. But it's also well deserved given all your careful planning.
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, no genuinely, I’ve never done santons. It has always been closed. However, I’ve done épaule du charvet many times instead. Apart from the poling at the end it is a very enjoyable run. I imagine snow boarders hate it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella, They call it dumb luck.
We’re in Les Arcs for a week and a half. Hopefully enough time for Chamonix to get some snow. The Vallee Blanche is a bucket list thing and I’m hoping by the end of January it is skiable.
snow conditions
@sbooker,
Quote:

Lightly snowing here now so we’ll head down toward Les Brevieres to check out that sector.

Good plan, which lots will do.
Quote:

Looks like visibility could be a bit challenging for the next week to the abundance of tree lined runs will help.

Yes and a trip to St Foy becomes very attractive. You may also get down to Villaroger from Aiguille Rouge, if snow is good lower down...an epic run.
Two or 3 good tree lined reds between Arcs 1800 and Plan Peisey, Aigle being one of them.
snow report
@denfinella,
Quote:

You are very lucky. But it's also well deserved given all your careful planning.

+1
snow conditions
Quote:

The owner of a chalet in the French Alps escapes the monotony by holidaying in Japan. Smile
Where are you off too?

Not a chalet, but a basic apartment in a 1970's block.

We have a few days in Tokyo, a few in Kyoto and then 6 days in Niseko.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Where are you off too?

Not a chalet, but a basic apartment in a 1970's block.

We have a few days in Tokyo, a few in Kyoto and then 6 days in Niseko.

Just joking if course. Good on you. If you get a chance head around to Moiwa on a snow day. It’s a small nearby hill that generally has less competition for powder.
snow conditions
There was overnight snow and it continued until about 11am. Then sunny/partly sunny weather before it started snowing again about 2pm. The hill is in fantastic shape now.

We headed down to Les Brevieres to take advantage of tree cover in the morning. I know you’re all hard core skiers so it’s probably not cool to enjoy 4 inches of snow on groomers but to holiday skiers it’s pretty special. My wife was in her version of powder heaven. In between the runs was superb as the snow from previous days is still in good condition.

Visibility wasn’t great on the way down to the trees area but it didn’t matter on the groomers. They were perfectly creamy.

The kids got all the novelty photos with the big lettering, the igloos and the giant snowman. They’ve all had an absolute ball. The ring in kids have impressed me with the way they have picked up snowboarding and the dedication to time on the hill even in low vis conditions.
(My lad and Jye spent the afternoon today building little jumps on the side of the runs into the soft area off the piste. I’m pretty sure Jye is hooked).
Off to Les Arcs tomorrow to set up for our stay there. Kylie and the girls are catching an early morning train to Lyon for a mid holiday city break. I will take the train with the girls and try the challenge of having a ski day in the Three Valleys on Sunday.
snow report
Great report so far. I, for one, very much enjoy the few inches of pow on the groomers.

Very glad the kids have all loved it, it seems too have been well worth the planning!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 15-01-23 0:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Loving your report! I’m still stick in Australia and endured a 39 degree day yesterday so I’m very jealous. My trip starts tomorrow and to say I’m excited is a huge understatement.

I’m going to be in Les Arcs from 24 Jan so I think I just miss the time you’re there.

As much as luck helps I’m sure you studied ski areas intensely before booking if you’re anything like me. Nothing worse than traveling half way around the world to find terrible conditions (ask me how I know …)
ski holidays
@Raven, Yeah. We head to Chamonix on the 24th. I’ll report back later today as to the conditions on the hill. Should snow a bit over the next few days. You will be greeted by cool weather I suspect.
Where are you flying into?
snow conditions
A bit of a side topic……
Since we’ve been in France we’ve used no central heating whatsoever. We get to the digs and turn it straight off. We are dressed in a shirt and sometimes shorts while inside. No need for a jumper most times aside from early morning or late evening. And that’s at 2000 metres elevation.

I’m really not understanding all the fuss about energy shortages over winter due to the need for central heating?
snow conditions
@sbooker, it’s a strange thing but yes, accommodation in the Alps in winter often feels overheated to me. I’m usually in T shirt and often in shorts hanging around in chalets and hotel rooms.

I dread to think what the fuel bill is. Often, whoever is operating accommodation aren’t the people paying it. We’ve been fortunate (cost wise) in having a mild winter so far.

With fuel costs in the UK riding so much, the fuss is justified. I’ve convinced myself I’ll save money overall by going to the Alps and putting our heating on minimum setting back home.

Keep sweating snowHead

P

ski holidays
@PeakyB,
I’ve no doubt energy costs have risen dramatically and I can imagine the impact on household budgets. My point is why not use less energy by shutting off the heating?
The same point can be made for hot climates. Often air conditioning is switched on by habit when for all but about 10 nights a year ceiling fans are perfectly adequate.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy