Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w,
My pet hate is the incorrect use of they’re, their or there. But the misuse of than and then sends me over the edge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am fairly tolerant of grammar errors and very relaxed about spellin (I cannot do it myself) but what really irritates me are errors in even simple maths. Especially when some important person says with an air of pride that they cannot do mathematics then chiding those of us who cannot spell. The shame they should feel.

I was particularly annoyed by a newspaper recently giving the odds of various politicians becoming prime minister as 5/10, 5/10, 3/10 etc. Or the one that said that the temperature had risen 100% overnight when it had risen from 10 to 20 degreees. (Please excuse not being the exact figures I cannot recall them).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Or the one that said that the temperature had risen 100% overnight when it had risen from 10 to 20 degreees

eh?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, how are your snowboarders doing?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
I was particularly annoyed by a newspaper recently giving the odds of various politicians becoming prime minister as 5/10, 5/10, 3/10 etc.

As someone who used to bet a lot...

They looked like fractional odds (as opposed to decimal) but 5/10 would be quoted as 1/2. The numbers aside I don't get why quoting them like that would be wrong. In the UK fractional odds are the most common.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, because they add up to more than 1.0. The 3 numbers I gave add up to 1.3. The sum total of all the probabilities must be 1.0. They should be presented as 5/13, 5/13 3/13.

@pam w, Degrees centigrade are relative numbers not absolute so you cannot give a percentage increase. Think about it; what would you give as a percentage increase if the temperature had gone from 0 to 10? The true figure is 10/(273+10).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
@sbooker, how are your snowboarders doing?

Great. My two picked up where they left off and the other two can move proficiently down the slope and turn and stop when they want to. They’ll be moving around relatively quickly by Thursday or Friday I expect.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, The big issues. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
@Layne, because they add up to more than 1.0. The 3 numbers I gave add up to 1.3. The sum total of all the probabilities must be 1.0. They should be presented as 5/13, 5/13 3/13.

Nope. The bookies have what they call an overround i.e. their profit margin. So the quoted odds for all outcomes will rarely be close to 100% or 1 (if it is, it's a good market to bet on). For something like next PM it's quite a novelty bet and very open to inside information so the bookies will have a big margin, probably 20-30%.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
@sbooker, those slips were both typos, not grammar. Would always ignore those until it really, really, gets too glaring - as in a thread title!! Just don't get apostrophe's wrong. wink

Very subtle humour - misusing the apostrophe at the end of your sentence! Very Happy wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should be a massive dump this evening @sbooker, I would anticipate it opening up slower than normal in the morning but you should have knee deep powder easily accessible. Fill your boots. Pics would be appreciated wink wink Smile Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne,
I don’t know how to do pics. I think I’ve got to subscribe to a membership or something?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, no need to contribute more than your wisdom, insight and keenly awaited TRs (unless you want to then you get some fancy button to load pix apparently and a new title)

You can load your pix to some site like imgur for free (I use that), then paste in the links it generates to here (I can never remember which type of link is the best one to use but have a play)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use imgur too.

I use different links according to the size I want.

Any questions @sbooker, just ask.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sbooker wrote:
@Layne,
I don’t know how to do pics. I think I’ve got to subscribe to a membership or something?

As others have said the easiest way for you to post photos here (if you're not a super or mega snowHead who pay an annual subscription to support sHs and in return get things like the ability to post photos directly and discounts on bashes) is to use imgur.com. Once you've signed up with a username and password you can upload photos, you then select the photo in imgur you want to include in a sHs post and select the size of the photo e.g large thumbnail then click on the copy button for BBCode which automatically generates the code which you then paste into your post. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
It was a classic bluebird powder day in Tignes today. Had the pleasure of skiing sunbathed soft powder. My legs are really trashed now.

The snowboarders are doing great. My lad did quite a few black runs some of which were not groomed. My daughter is going quickly down the groomed reds. Lily and Jye are not going quite as quick and are having the odd crash but are confident on the blues and slow on the reds.

Stopped into the Folie Douce late this afternoon so the kids could check it out. Plenty of the usual sights happening. Maybe if I wasn’t 50 I might want to partake……
latest report
sbooker,

Sounds like all is going well.

Are the kids (and possibly you..) in awe of the Alps? Puzzled I know you have been before but we are Alps veterans and are still in awe Very Happy .

We are in Val Thorens and had the most incredible powder today. Off piste was off the scale! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Maybe I should take a few days off from Snowheads Toofy Grin wink Razz
latest report
@Bergmeister,
I don’t think the novelty could ever wear off. It’s infinitely jaw dropping.

Just had a couple of drinks at the Loop bar before dinner. Queens Of The Snow Stage were playing. Great fun.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
My daughter is going quickly down the groomed reds. Lily and Jye are not going quite as quick and are having the odd crash but are confident on the blues...

Is Jye Australian for Jay? Puzzled Toofy Grin

(Then again, it could be Cockney...) wink
ski holidays
@Bergmeister,
Jye is one of those new names. I have seen it spelt as Jai. It is pronounced ‘Ji’ with a hard I. (As in not Jee. But rhyming with pie). If that makes sense.
snow report
I’ve watched a lot of NRL and big bash and TBH any combination of letters will make an Australian first name. Whatever happened to Bruce?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
I’ve watched a lot of NRL and big bash and TBH any combination of letters will make an Australian first name. Whatever happened to Bruce?

Jai Field being a notable one.
snow conditions
I thought it was just mericans that messed about with first name spellings.
snow conditions
@Layne,
As a country we are sadly becoming more aligned to American ways.
@johnE,
I have Tom and Emily as we are into tradition names. I did go out on a limb with my lad’s second name as a bet of sorts with my best mate. Tom was borne in 2007. His middle name is Warne. Laughing
My mates call him Warnie.
latest report
We have a lot of boys called Kai ...but it is Essex
ski holidays
@sbooker, thankfully I don't recall too many reports of mass shootings.

Messing about with names is innocent enough.
snow conditions
Sorry all, ignore my last post here if you saw it (now deleted). Not the place for such sorrowful tangent and not the thread to derail.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne,
Our conservative government did a gun ‘buy back’ in 1996 after a terrible incident in Tasmania. Essentially we don’t have semi automatic weapons any longer. A rare instance of good government.
There’s an Aussie comedian called Jim Jeffries who does a great stand up on gun control in America. If you get 10 minutes I’ll guarantee it will raise a smile.

http://youtube.com/v/0rR9IaXH1M0
ski holidays
It was a nice day here in Tignes. We went to the glacier this morning when the skies were blue. Cloud cover came in at midday and it’s been snowing this afternoon. I took the crew down to La Daille through the trees after lunch. Much better visibility there.
My daughter borrowed her mum’s boots and skis this afternoon to see if she can still ski. (Last time on skis for her was pre-Covid December 2019 in Japan). She can ski just as good as she could back then. After she finishes her snowboarding lessons this week with her friend Lily she will switch back to skiing.
Barring an injury I’m confident they are all now well and truly mobile enough to move around on the pistes at most mountains.
Going to the Loop bar soon for pre dinner drinks. They’ve got a live band on and that will hit the spot with the teen girls who are both musicians. (Lily guitar and Emily bass guitar. Incidentally they were both in their school French band).
snow conditions
What’s a school French Band ? must admit can’t think of many wonders of music the French have exported especially all the way to Oz , I am however very uneducated and am willing to be . Only thing that springs to mind is accordions and Plastic Bernard .
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

He's in charge of the sheep dip.
ski holidays
@Rob Mackley, isn't he Belgian?
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
What’s a school French Band ? must admit can’t think of many wonders of music the French have exported especially all the way to Oz , I am however very uneducated and am willing to be . Only thing that springs to mind is accordions and Plastic Bernard .

Plastic Bertrand, and he was Belgian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Bertrand
Did Vanessa Paradis become known in Oz?
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:

The language they learnt at school was French. The school has always had a French band. They do French songs and obviously do the lyrics in French. They played at the end of year school concert. They were quite good. Admittedly I may have an untrained ear and may be biased.
ski holidays
Cool now I understand, enjoy your trip to the Haute Tarentaise and I enjoy reading about your story. If you do manage to get to Sainte Foy there is a must . Book lunch at Brevettes at the top of the first lift , must be booked it is a highlight in Sainte Foy and is inexpensive , cash only . Google it . If you have any questions to ask about Sainte Foy don’t hesitate to ask .
latest report
sbooker wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:

The language they learnt at school was French. The school has always had a French band. They do French songs and obviously do the lyrics in French. They played at the end of year school concert. They were quite good. Admittedly I may have an untrained ear and may be biased.

[Thread drift on] Talking of French songs it puzzled me that the 'e' letter at the end of many French words is not pronounced when spoken, but is pronounced when sung. Puzzled [Thread drift off]
snow report
@sbooker, it's like riding a bike
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
@Layne,
Our conservative government did a gun ‘buy back’ in 1996 after a terrible incident in Tasmania. Essentially we don’t have semi automatic weapons any longer. A rare instance of good government.
There’s an Aussie comedian called Jim Jeffries who does a great stand up on gun control in America. If you get 10 minutes I’ll guarantee it will raise a smile.

http://youtube.com/v/0rR9IaXH1M0

Brilliant video. Thanks for posting! Toofy Grin
snow report
@Rob Mackley,
Will check it out if we get to Saint Foy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy