Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
…and…

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5062241&highlight=#5062241
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paris sounds good @sbooker. The WWI memorial will be poignant, as has been mentioned above. We've visited a few WWI sites and museums in the Somme area. The scale of it all is incomprehensible and so moving. We all owe them (and a lot more after them) so much... Crying or Very sad

I hope all goes well with your onward travel to Tignes. We're en route now to an overnight near Manchester Airport. Flight is mid morning tomorrow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve woken at 2am again. Hopefully this is the last night of jet lag.
My train to Amiens was late by over an hour and I would have missed the connecting train to Villers. I was also nervous about my early evening train back to Paris being delayed too (there’s a problem with the line apparently) so I had to bail on the trip to the Western Front memorial (after wasting an hour and a half at Gare de Nord). I was very disappointed.
But I met up with the crew and went to the church on the hill at Montmarte. A fantastic view of Paris and a spectacular building. Also did the obligatory Arc de Triomphe thing and took my wife to the original Chanel store for a memorable perfume purchase. Missing the trip to Amiens gives us an excuse to come back I suppose.
Train to Bourg tomorrow (today). We’ll go to the markets at the Bastille first I’m told.
Catering for 6 people in tourist traps can be costly. Money seems to just disappear somehow. Apparently ‘go fund me’ pages are a thing now so I’m contemplating it. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm awake too, and can't blame jet-lag. Old age, more like. Very sorry to hear that you missed the Western Front memorial, after such a big effort to get there. Hope the trip down to the mountains goes better. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w,
Thanks. To be honest I’m a little concerned as the first week in Tignes will possibly be snowy and or gloomy the whole time. I really hope the weather doesn’t negatively affect the newbies idea of ski holidays. In hindsight Les Arcs would have been better with its more prolific tree lined runs.
I’m sure they’ll get some jaw dropping views at some point.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I really hope the weather doesn’t negatively affect the newbies

It will be fine. Truly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name,
Every prior ski holiday I’m hoping for endless snowfall. Now I’m stressing because of too much snow. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, I’m sure it’ll be fine snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worry is understandable at this point @sbooker. You've invested a huge amount of everything into this trip and have an evangelical zeal to get your two young proselytes hooked. New snow will mean Tignes is "ready to go" - it'll take a few days before some of the other resorts are skiable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, I assume you all have decent low light goggles?

I bought my first pair of decent low light goggles during a particularly snowy week in Tignes - dumping heavily and/or flat light for 6 days straight - and the goggles did help most of the time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jagerbull, Got the goggles covered. Thanks.

We’re now in resort. I’m taking one for team by waiting for take away pizza (while having a beer in the Marmot Arms). So nice to see snow again. Kids are pumped!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sbooker wrote:
@under a new name,
Every prior ski holiday I’m hoping for endless snowfall. Now I’m stressing because of too much snow. Laughing

I can confirm that dichotomy is perfectly normal Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I’m taking one for team by waiting for take away pizza (while having a beer in the Marmot Arms).

You're a hero
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
denfinella wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@under a new name,

I can confirm that dichotomy is perfectly normal Very Happy

+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sbooker, could you do us just a teeny favour, and edit your thread title. We're going to be reading it a lot in the coming weeks...... Go back to your original post, and it's easy to change it.
snow report
@pam w, ha ha...just spotted that!
ski holidays
I'd not noticed either but now @pam w has mentioned it, it will bug me if it's not changed Laughing Laughing
snow report
I noticed it immediately and it's been playing havoc with my OCD tendencies.
ski holidays
I wondered who would break and ask for it to be changed Very Happy
latest report
ster wrote:
I wondered who would break and ask for it to be changed Very Happy

If I'd had to guess, I'd have guessed correctly. Toofy Grin
latest report
Laughing I thought we should at least wait till he'd reached the Alps. Out of basic decency.....
snow report
@pam w,
Oh. I have never noticed that. Sorry.
I am one that judges people that can’t spell and generally use correct grammar very harshly. Laughing I would have myself pegged as an idiot for that.

There’s times when basic decency has to be overlooked. You could have told me a few months ago. Very embarrassed now. Very Happy
ski holidays
@sbooker, yes, if you click the scissors edit icon on your original first post it also shows the thread title which can also be edited. Smile

Edit: I see the thread title has now been amended. Laughing
ski holidays
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
It’s snowing and my turns are a bit rusty. Kids are in their lesson. Going for a coffee and croissant. I have 24 days to get my turns up to scratch.
latest report
Bombs going off now. Still snowing.
Kids are up and away with their boarding.
I’m with a guided group today.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
. I have 24 days to get my turns up to scratch.

Are you here for 24 days?

Enjoy today
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
Phew. On the RER heading to our Paris hotel. The first leg of our flight to Singapore was challenging. We must have scored the nursery section. 5 babies under two years old sitting within 5 metres. Blood curdling screeching from on of them.
The second leg to Paris was great. I got 8 hours sleep. As did the family.

8 hours sleep on a long haul flight? Was that in economy? I’m seriously jealous. I’ve purposely booked all daytime flights to London from Adelaide (leave next Monday) because even with sleeping tablets I just can’t sleep on planes.

Will be following this thread in anticipation of my trip. Can’t wait to escape the summer heat.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raven wrote:
Will be following this thread in anticipation of my trip. Can’t wait to escape the summer heat.

That's something you very rarely hear people say in the UK!

Must admit I find it very strange to think of going to the Southern hemisphere to ski in our Summer - but I totally get why someone might.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 9-01-23 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Layne, I've only done it once - to Chile. Lots of us try to get to the mountains in the summer to escape the heat. The Uk was unpleasantly hot last summer. I think most summers I have stood on natural snow at least once - in the Vanoise or the Dolomites
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
@pam w,
I am one that judges people that can’t spell and generally use correct grammar very harshly. Laughing I would have myself pegged as an idiot for that.

There’s times when basic decency has to be overlooked. You could have told me a few months ago. Very embarrassed now. Very Happy

I couldn't help but notice it - a lot over the past 3 months! Toofy Grin Very Happy

I can see it's no amended - with CAPITALS for effect! Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoy your trip! Very Happy
snow report
@stewart woodward, Not in Tignes for that long. Just the week. Then we go to Les Arcs and then Chamonix.
Just came back from my morning with the guide/instructor. It was awesome. There were some areas that the snow was too deep for my relatively skinny skis. My legs are trashed. I’m going to have to stick to pistes or side piste this afternoon. I’ve got another off piste morning tomorrow.
latest report
@Raven,
I’m compact. One of the few advantages of being short. I have a technique that works most times. I can usually get at least six hours. There are ear plugs and a sleeping tablet involved.
snow conditions
@sbooker, what skis are you on? May need something fatter with there being fresh snow and you skiing off piste.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@pam w,

I couldn't help but notice it - a lot over the past 3 months! Toofy Grin Very Happy

Ummmm. I think you mean ‘now amended’. I will from now on be a co grammar Nazi with Pam W. Very Happy
snow report
Layne wrote:
@sbooker, what skis are you on? May need something fatter with there being fresh snow and you skiing off piste.

Blizzard Rustler 9. They’re 92mm under foot and as I’m a light weight they are fine in fresh snow up to about 20cm. Some places today were much deeper than that.

I should mention I’m no great skier.
ski holidays
Ah, 92 should be OK and that ski sounds like a good fit and should be good enough.

Have a good evenings rest and enjoy the pow in the morning - practice makes perfect!!

PM if you need off piste or even piste ideas or have questions on Les Arcs/La Plagne - the area I know best of where you are going. Conscious you asked me something in one of my TR's that I didn't answer!
ski holidays
@Layne,

Thanks. I agree that practice is important.

I’ll try to survive this week before I think about Les Arcs.

Now to ski some pistes that have been topped up with the current snow. I’ll head down the hill to the tree lined area.
latest report
@sbooker, those slips were both typos, not grammar. Would always ignore those until it really, really, gets too glaring - as in a thread title!! Just don't get apostrophe's wrong. wink
snow report
sbooker wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@pam w,

Ummmm. I think you mean ‘now amended’. I will from now on be a co grammar Nazi with Pam W. Very Happy

Now indeed! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy