Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies going ON A French adventure.

Poster: A snowHead
@sugarmoma666, @PeakyB, @GeorgeVII,
We used Altibus when it was just my wife and myself in March just gone. It was a good service. But it goes the long way round to Val D’Isere first so it’ll take a fair bit longer than a taxi. I’m figuring the sooner we check in and get sorted that first night the better. If we’re early enough the kids can go get their boards and gear while we do some groceries.
I’ll check out Snowdrone.
Speaking of good service this forum really is a wealth of knowledge. Very helpful. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We’ve had a reply and have booked and paid for a taxi from BSM to Tignes. 100 Euro. I’m cool with that.
The same taxi has agreed to do an early morning run the following week from Arc 1800 down to the station so the girls can get their early train to Lyon. I’ll likely go with them and jump off the train at Moutiers. I’m sure I’ll be able to get breakfast there before getting a bus to one of the villages of the Three Valleys.
Will be a big day by the time I get back to Arc 1800 in the evening but checking out Courcheval/Val Thorens etc will be worth it.
Nice to see some white in the webcams. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski A La Carte cards and prepaid mobile data sim cards came in the mail yesterday. Well under a month to go now. Getting exciting.
Can’t wait to escape this heat. A couple of 36/37 degree days here this week - with the added bonus of high humidity.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, It's going to drop into minus double figures C. in Tignes over the next few days. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbooker wrote:
We’ve had a reply and have booked and paid for a taxi from BSM to Tignes. 100 Euro. I’m cool with that.
The same taxi has agreed to do an early morning run the following week from Arc 1800 down to the station so the girls can get their early train to Lyon. I’ll likely go with them and jump off the train at Moutiers. I’m sure I’ll be able to get breakfast there before getting a bus to one of the villages of the Three Valleys.
Will be a big day by the time I get back to Arc 1800 in the evening but checking out Courcheval/Val Thorens etc will be worth it.
Nice to see some white in the webcams. Madeye-Smiley

It will be great to experience a day in the 3Vs Very Happy. Brides Les Bains would be a good connection point for you - as it's only a short bus ride from Moutiers to the Gondola that connects Brides to Meribel.

p.s It's CourchevEl....(without the A) wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GeorgeVII, I once left Banff (Lake Louise) at minus 28 to fly into Brisbane at 39c just 20 hours later. Quite the contrast.

@Bergmeister, Will now be burned in my memory.
I might make a shout out on the Three Valleys thread to find a ski partner or group for the day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My work (real estate) is dead quiet right now. I'm seriously considering changing my flight to Europe for a week earlier and then going to meet the family when they get into Paris on the 5th of January. I can get a flight into Geneva on the 28th of December. I know it is the busiest time of the year so getting accommodation may be hard but I've seen some reasonably priced rooms in Chamonix (hostel style), Les Gets, Saas Fee and Megeve (shared bathroom facilities). Any comments on a good location for a few days on skis. I will have to get the train to Paris so somewhere near a train line would be needed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, Sorry this is not going to be much help but they all sound like good choices for a few days on skis and all have access via busses to railway stations. I think if it was me then I'd go for Saas Fee purely because I've never been there, but that advice is useless to you.

I have to admire your courage and would love to watch when you say to your family and their friends that you have oganised this fantastic trip, but since you have a few free days you'll head off early and have some extra fun before they come and join you. See you in Paris. Oh, and have a happy new year
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, I've sent you a PM.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, in order of preference:

Megeve - nice (posh) town and has direct access to multiple ski areas (which are covered by a shared lift pass). I think it's an underrated area although low altitude means snow can be a bit dodgy early in the season (depending on what happens between now and the end of the month - conditions are about average at the moment I think).
Les Gets - similar skiing to Megeve. Theoretically has access to a bigger ski area (Portes du Soleil) but Les Gets is not well placed to access the whole area unless you have a car.
Saas Fee - reliable for snow, but apparently dark and cold in midwinter. Possibly better as a spring destination?
Chamonix - perhaps a bit too early in the season for off piste, which would otherwise be a big draw? I imagine queues could be pretty bad in New Year week but that is not based on any local knowledge - just a hunch.

The French areas will all be very busy, not sure about Saas Fee.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE,
My wife is cool with it. I conveniently reminded her of a few small holidays that she has had with her girlfriends before I floated the idea.
@Alastair Pink,
Thanks.
@denfinella,
The Megeve is actually Combloux upon further inspection.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Combloux is very French and not as up itself as Megeve. Stunning views across to Mont Blanc. That side of the valley doesn't hold it's snow so well, because of aspect, but in cold times would be fine, skiing over to La Giettaz. In the town, which is attractive, along the main Arly Valley Rd, you will get a coffee and croissant for the same price as in most French towns. Watch out for details of lift access and don't trust blithe assurances on the little drag up from the residential area to the start of the skiing. You would do better with your own transport there, I suspect - which would facilitate a day in Praz sur Arly. Resort hopping!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's my thought too. Combloux is a smallish resort, and relatively low. Pleasant skiing through the trees in bad weather, but not so good in mild spells. The highlight is the long run over to La Giettaz.

To access the bigger Megeve-St Gervais ski area (all part of the same Evasion Mont Blanc pass) you would need to ski over to Le Jaillet (downloading on the gondola if the run isn't open to the bottom) and take the free navette across Megeve to either the Rochebrune or Mont d'Arbois access points.

Depending on timings you might alternatively be able to access the other areas by the Y83 or Y82 service bus. Either will take you to Megeve centre and on to Praz sur Arly; what I don't know is whether there is a bus stop sensible walking distance from the Princesse gondola. Its base station is near the roundabout just up the road from Combloux and gives excellent access to the St Gervais-Megeve ridge - but doesn't seem to be served by any of the navettes as far as I can see.

As @pam w says, having your own car there would be easiest. It would be simple to get to that Princesse access point, and allow you to spend days in Praz sur Arly (Espace Diamant), Les Contamines (also on Evasion Mont Blanc pass) or Les Houches (easiest to access via the Tramway from St Gervais, though you could drive round to the Chamonix valley).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
@denfinella, The Megeve is actually Combloux upon further inspection.

Ah, in that case I would rank it below Les Gets as it's not so well placed for the wider Megeve ski areas (unless you hire a car).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My plans to arrive early are no longer unfortunately. The travel agent was delayed due to a day off and now only business class fares are available. Nearly $7000 aud over and above what I’ve already paid. I can’t justify that.
Life sucks. Smile
latest report
That’s a shame in some ways but, on the other had, new year week is usually the biggest scrum outside of main February half term weeks. Short days too and costs high.

Kicking off your skiing in January avoids most of those disadvantages and increases your probability of enjoying good snow conditions.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
My plans to arrive early are no longer unfortunately. The travel agent was delayed due to a day off and now only business class fares are available. Nearly $7000 aud over and above what I’ve already paid. I can’t justify that.
Life sucks. Smile

Bad news, that. But I'd be the same as you - and wouldn't have paid any more than $6k rolling eyes
snow conditions
@PeakyB, new year week is looking quiet this year. Probably because the schools go back on the 3rd
snow conditions
@johnE, useful to know for some and good point. The OP, had his cunning plan been realised, would've been skiing 29th Dec onwards. I'd expect the first 5 days starting then to be busy.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker wrote:
Life sucks. Smile

Bad news, that. But I'd be the same as you - and wouldn't have paid any more than $6k rolling eyes

Crikey. I wouldn’t pay anywhere near that. Our return tickets are less than $2000 return each. Cattle class though. (I’ve never been on business or first and never intend to).
snow report
sbooker wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker wrote:
Life sucks. Smile

Crikey. I wouldn’t pay anywhere near that. Our return tickets are less than $2000 return each. Cattle class though. (I’ve never been on business or first and never intend to).

My statement was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek, SB rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow report
@Bergmeister, Ah. Got it. Sorry, after inhabiting US ski forums I’m not used to online humour. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Well there’s some off the scale excitement here tonight. Tomorrow we board a plane for a 23 hour (including 3 hour stopover in Singapore) flight to Europe.
We are due in at Tignes late Saturday. We’ll have some boney conditions Sunday to get our ski legs back but I’m daring to dream about the predicted snowfall Sunday/Monday. The ring in kids might just not only see snow on the ground for the first time but get snowed on too!

My ‘off piste’ course with Oxygene is on hold due to lack of participants (understandably I guess) so I’ll try to find something else.

Sleep will be broken tonight I would think. Buzzing.
ski holidays
@sbooker, Bon Voyage et beaucoup de neige, j’espere.
latest report
@sbooker, have a wonderful time! Even without the forecast snow, Tignes has probably got some of the best conditions anywhere in France right now, so you made a great choice Very Happy
snow conditions
Have a great time @sbooker. The scale of Tignes and Val D'Isere could blow your mind Laughing

Mrs MA are there from 7-15th Jan. See you there! Very Happy

Don't believe the hype and hysteria about 'bony snow conditions' by the way - Tignes will be great at altitude on Sunday. Tip: If visibility is good that day, get yourselves straight up the Grande Motte Glacier (7 or 8 mins on the funicular from Tignes Val Claret). Fantastic views of Mont Blanc, brilliant snow conditions and about 5km/1200m vertical to ski back down Very Happy

That is especially recommended on Sunday if the fresh snow does indeed materialise from Monday. Word is it could snow all next week...

Where are you staying in Tignes?
latest report
Yes - take any chance you can to get up high (or across to Val d'Isere), because if it's stormy and snowy you may be confined to the lower areas around Tignes / Les Brevieres / Les Boisses.
ski holidays
@sbooker, travel well!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If visibility is good that day, get yourselves straight up the Grande Motte Glacier (7 or 8 mins on the funicular from Tignes Val Claret)

Seconded. Might be your only chance. Runs/lifts up on the Grande Motte are not infrequently closed by bad weather, especially high winds. But when you get out at the top of the funicular, have a coffee and something at the restaurant at the top before dashing out - acclimatise to the altitude for at least a few minutes. Bon voyage. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for the kind words all.
@mountainaddict, we’re in Le Lac. Just near the Marmot Arms. Speaking of I haven’t had a beer for three weeks in anticipation of a nightly tipple or three for the next month. Looking forward to a brew almost as much as I am to clicking in.
snow conditions
Quote:
Speaking of I haven’t had a beer for three weeks in anticipation of a nightly tipple or three for the next month. Looking forward to a brew almost as much as I am to clicking in.
Brace yourself for the prices
@sbooker Laughing Will be cheap if you can find 0.5l for €6 or less but you can go up to €8 or €9 (or more!) if you really want to wink On the plus side, a big box of supermarket beer can be had from about €0.40 for 25cl bottles. There's a decent Carrefour mini supermarket very near to the Marmot Arms and a good Spar Supermarket just round the corner.

You're in a great spot - about 50m from the piste/Palafour chairlift and about 100m to the Toviere gondola that connects straight to Val D'Isere. Fastest way to the Tignes Glacier is to go along (on snow) immediately to the right of the main tourist office (Maison de Tignes), which is next to Palafour Chair. Skis on shortly after and turn left down to Paquis Chair. From the top, you turn right and ski straight down to the Grande Motte funicular. After the glacier (ie from the bottom at Val Claret) you can do a lovely circuit back to Le Lac, starting with the Tichot Chair. For a full trip out, from the top of Aiguille Percée chair, you can ski all the way down to Les Brevieres if you wish. It's a lovely old mountain village - a complete contrast to Tignes. There are one or two nice, rustic restaurants down little alleys off the main street, which can be reached by heading towards the church from the end of the piste.
latest report
@sbooker, seems your timing is impeccable.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-01-23 0:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@mountainaddict,
Great tips thanks. On the beer thing I am used to high prices here in Oz. To make matters worse I have a thing for the Pale Ales and IPA’s which can be even more pricey.
@Layne, Hopefully the forecast is correct. Regardless I’m sure we’ll have fun.
snow report
Phew. On the RER heading to our Paris hotel. The first leg of our flight to Singapore was challenging. We must have scored the nursery section. 5 babies under two years old sitting within 5 metres. Blood curdling screeching from on of them.
The second leg to Paris was great. I got 8 hours sleep. As did the family.
ski holidays
Quote:
The first leg of our flight to Singapore was challenging. We must have scored the nursery section. 5 babies under two years old sitting within 5 metres. Blood curdling screeching from one of them.
Sounds like it went a bit beyond challenging @sbooker Shocked What a nightmare Confused

Anyway, welcome to Europe! Very Happy Glad you've made it, despite the trauma. Can't remember your plans... Are you sightseeing in Paris?
snow conditions
@sbooker, following your adventures with interest - you leave Les Arcs before we get back I think ( our early season trip was good - I hope you get the same) , so looking forward to your updates.
snow report
@mountainaddict, Bloody jet lag. It’s 2am. Hopefully will get back to sleep soon. Yeah we cruised around Paris today. Had a stereotypical croissant for morning tea and a crepe lunch. Went to the Louvre and Eiffel Tower and a boat ride on the river. The Metro system is a breeze to use. My phone tells me I did about 28000 steps too. Good thing I did some exercise after the rich food. And I enjoyed a couple of beers at the end of day at a nice little dive bar. Got to chatting (95 percent English/5 per cent bad Aussie French) to some locals. Those Belgian beers aren’t for the faint hearted - particularly when one is tired.
Today the others are going to do more touristy things in Paris. I’m going to catch the train north to Villers-Brettoneaux to see the Australian WW1 Western Front memorial.
latest report
@Arctic Roll,
Looks like Les Arcs will get a refresh over the next week before we get there. I hope for some snow to low altitude as I want to take the kids on the run from the top of the glacier to Villaroger one day.
snow report
I’ll put this question in the Tignes thread too. My plans were to do an ‘off piste’ course this coming week but it’s on hold due to lack of participants. There seems to be significant snow coming. That will put off piste skiing on the back burner for the time being due to avalanche risk I guess? I’m thinking I’ll just shell out for a guide for a couple of mornings when the time is appropriate.
snow report
Enjoy Paris and no doubt a very informative and poignant trip to the WWI memorial.

You’re probably right about what could happen if there’s a significant dump of snow. Watch and wait I suggest, not usually a need to pre-book everything in January.

Worth keeping in touch with threads updated regularly (daily usually) for valuable information, tips about where the best snow might be found, places to eat, etc

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612#5062639

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy