Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
SOS Pizza in Val Claret saves the day (or night!) @Erewegoagain! According to the link on Google Maps, current opening hours are as follows. You've even got time to be delayed wink

We used them a couple of weeks ago - lovely pizzas at 10 or 11 euros a pop.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Erewegoagain, If yo need stuff at GVA and have 20 minutes spare walk through the railway station (its all the same building) there is A Migros supermarket that does sandwiches, fruit, drinks etc at a fraction of the price of the cafes in the arrivals hall.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the major news this morning was the amount of snow that managed to get over the frontier thanks to the retour d'est. I think it surprised most people especially Meteo France. But when I heard the snow plough straining to push snow out of the way at 0530 I knew it was going to be a good day. The sky was obscured early doors but soon cleared so after a rapid prep of off piste kit it was off for a day of powder skiing in some places wind blown in others. There was no blasting in Tignes this morning but there were echoes from next door, presumably Le Fornet. We started near Merles and then did Col du Palet and then Col de Ves which was great, but there was a huge queue for Grattalu which meant some folks were opting for Col de Ves without reading the warnings - cue muppetry. A quick adapated airport run was followed by a Envers Genepy and then the Aspen for a hehydrate and an omelette! After lunch it was back up to Rabotch and then 3 laps of the Grand Huit Pimples, still doing powder eights at 3pm.

In other big news a bus attacked a train at a level crossing at Cevins, just this side of Albertville, it looks like the tracks will be ready by Friday, but if you are on Eurostar this weekend, it might be worth keeping an eye on.

The weather for the next 4 days is going to be pretty similar thanks to us sitting in a slack area of synoptic nothingness. Mostly sunny with a few clouds, cold by night and morning, not too bad by day. There will be clouds on the peaks by morning, but there should be plenty of light around, the wind should ease. Thursday - blue skies and sunshine. Friday a few clouds come back. Saturday looks glorious for a transfer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If anyone lost a GoPro on the slopes of Tignes today, PM me with where you lost it and I can arrange its return.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking for an early transfer from geneva to Tignes Le Lac on Thursday 16th Feb. Family out for the week and can't get away till the Thursday. Had a recommendation for alpine sherpa transfers based in tignes but website down and not sure if still trading. Arrive geneva 8.20 , earliest shared transfers are 11.30. Hoping to get half days skiing. Any local knowledge? Anyone else travelling that day? Should I create a different thread elsewhere or okay to post on this tignes thread? Have return sorted so don't want to hire car.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mountainaddict, @chocksaway, Brilliant, thanks gents, a plan with a backup plan Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chicksaway
Michel turned out to be a great character reminiscing about his time on the French National Ski team (SL)
Spent 2.75 hrs on fitting scans etc and trying different shells/makes
Have yet to actually ski the new boots but seem a great fit as they should do!
I had told him how long I had been putting off changing boots but he didn’t believe me really until he pulled the old boots apart queue hilarity as he showed them to the other fitters!!!
Pleased with his expertise
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowornever, I called in with my Daughter, to say hello to Michel this afternoon- maybe around 3ish. He was fitting boots for someone…was it you by any chance? He is quite a character - we discussed Kitzbühel and he gave my Daughter an impromptu 1 min ski lesson.

Let us know how the boots work out. Miss F’s get more comfortable as they settle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, double post.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
If you need stuff at GVA and have 20 minutes spare walk through the railway station (its all the same building) there is A Migros supermarket that does sandwiches, fruit, drinks etc at a fraction of the price of the cafes in the arrivals hall
You definitely need 20 mins for the there and back Migros run from the airport terminal - it's quite a walk. Mrs MA was recently waiting in the terminal with the luggage and thought I'd gone missing Laughing . Worth the walk though - sandwiches from CHF3 or 4 and takeaway coffee (which you pay for at the normal checkouts or self service checkouts) at CHF 2.5. This compares to CHF6.5 for coffee and CHF10 for a sandwich Shocked in the cafes of the airport and railway station. Migros also do hot savouries like pizza slices and foccacia bread with toppings.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 25-01-23 11:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag
Yes it dawned on me as I read your post!
Was in negotiation mode seeing if a deal could be done and failing!
Still sure the whole boot fitting was worth it and to have any tweaks done in resort that need sorting
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway,

In meteorological terms what is the "retour d'est" why does it produce snow? Is it a very local situation or is it like the reverse of a Foehn wind?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@welshflyer, Either Steve A or I have to do this every year so here goes:

The retour d'est is a peculiar local weather phenomenon (and nothing to do with a Foehn) but it starts generally with a low pressure system over the Gulf of Genoa (which can be formed by a strong Mistral down the Rhone valley). That sets up an anticlockwise air flow which picks up moisture over the Med which then travels north and then west and cools as it climbs giving precipitation (and snow high enough up). However, unlike Atlantic fronts its not got a lot of umph (Yorkshire meteorological term) behind it and it struggles to get over the mountains from Italy and does not penetrate much into the Tarentaise. So you can have days when you can have a metre of snow in Le Fornet, 80cm in Val Centre, 60cm in Tignes, a few flocons in Les Arcs and nowt in La Plagne. This was evident yesterday as Tignes was just about in sun and Val was in a kind of partial gloom.

Here endeth today's lesson! (Steve may wish to add a bit if he likes).

Well today was an early start, but one of changing plans. As it was still gloomy we set of for Les Brevieres, down Sache. I would say its not for the faint hearted, very narrow in places, big moguls in others, a bit scraped in places, but an adventure. As it started to clear we decide to set off for the other corner of the Piste map. So up Tov and then the bus to Laisinant. As there was a gentle breeze Vallon was shut and only 1 of the Col Pomas was running. However, this turned out to be in our favour as we arrived at Cascades and were in the first 50 up the lift. So we had did 4 laps of knee deep fresh, not surprisingly a little more windblown than yesterdays but massive fun none the less. After that the news had got out the queue started to build so we had lunch. After that we tried Arcelles, which was generally nice, then Rhone Alps which was not! By the time I got to the top of Tov I had jelly legs so downloaded!

Slack high pressure predominates so another 4 days of cold nights, cool days and a mountain breeze. Hopefully there will be les cloud tomorrow, it should be blue skies and sunshine with a few fluffy clouds in the afternoon. Same on Friday really. Saturday and Sunday should be unbroken sunshine, still cold overnight and at altitude iwth a nippy breeze!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgive me if I'm asking something that was already answered, but I've been searching through this topic and the rest of the forum and couldn't really find an answer to the following question:

What restaurants are recommended for a decent but not crazy expensive (doesn't have to be dirt cheap either) lunch on or close to the slopes on the Tignes side?

I've managed to filter out the ones below on the Val side, but since we will be exploring the Tignes side too we're looking for decent lunch options on that side as well
L'Edelweiss
Le Signal
Cascade
Peau de Vache
Le Trifollet

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 25-01-23 19:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Le Trifollet was very good when i was there at Xmas
snow conditions
@Skiwi222,
In the villages or up the mountain?
latest report
Q:
Quote:

A:
Quote:
lunch on or close to the slopes on the Tignes side
latest report
@Skiwi222, Lo Soli, above Le Lac and atop the Chaudannes chair is very nice.

..Nick
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Q:
Quote:

A:
Quote:
lunch on or close to the slopes on the Tignes side

But plenty of village eating places are on or close to slopes.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@welshflyer, Either Steve A or I have to do this every year so here goes:

The retour d'est is a peculiar local weather phenomenon (and nothing to do with a Foehn) but it starts generally with a low pressure system over the Gulf of Genoa (which can be formed by a strong Mistral down the Rhone valley). That sets up an anticlockwise air flow which picks up moisture over the Med which then travels north and then west and cools as it climbs giving precipitation (and snow high enough up). However, unlike Atlantic fronts its not got a lot of umph (Yorkshire meteorological term) behind it and it struggles to get over the mountains from Italy and does not penetrate much into the Tarentaise. So you can have days when you can have a metre of snow in Le Fornet, 80cm in Val Centre, 60cm in Tignes, a few flocons in Les Arcs and nowt in La Plagne. This was evident yesterday as Tignes was just about in sun and Val was in a kind of partial gloom.

Here endeth today's lesson! (Steve may wish to add a bit if he likes).

Well today was an early start, but one of changing plans. As it was still gloomy we set of for Les Brevieres, down Sache. I would say its not for the faint hearted, very narrow in places, big moguls in others, a bit scraped in places, but an adventure. As it started to clear we decide to set off for the other corner of the Piste map. So up Tov and then the bus to Laisinant. As there was a gentle breeze Vallon was shut and only 1 of the Col Pomas was running. However, this turned out to be in our favour as we arrived at Cascades and were in the first 50 up the lift. So we had did 4 laps of knee deep fresh, not surprisingly a little more windblown than yesterdays but massive fun none the less. After that the news had got out the queue started to build so we had lunch. After that we tried Arcelles, which was generally nice, then Rhone Alps which was not! By the time I got to the top of Tov I had jelly legs so downloaded!

Slack high pressure predominates so another 4 days of cold nights, cool days and a mountain breeze. Hopefully there will be les cloud tomorrow, it should be blue skies and sunshine with a few fluffy clouds in the afternoon. Same on Friday really. Saturday and Sunday should be unbroken sunshine, still cold overnight and at altitude iwth a nippy breeze!

Were in sync today.....

yes so to add to the met stuff... as the air mass travels up from the south and east it has no where to go and rises through orographic uplift (i.e. the mountains push the air mass up) and basically the moisture condenses into cloud / snow etc. What I would also say is that the wind / breeze is often quite warm relatively too hence why you might confuse it with the Foehn or Lombards of this world!

As far as the skiing is concerned I too had considered that option to head to the Val glacier but was about an hour ahead of you so the weather was not looking favourable that way.... however im tempted to drop over the Col Pers tomorrow and come down via the Grand Torsai but there was some movement in places today such as in Vallonet so going to be cautious me thinks
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
If you need stuff at GVA and have 20 minutes spare walk through the railway station (its all the same building) there is A Migros supermarket that does sandwiches, fruit, drinks etc at a fraction of the price of the cafes in the arrivals hall
You definitely need 20 mins for the there and back Migros run from the airport terminal - it's quite a walk. Mrs MA was recently waiting in the terminal with the luggage and thought I'd gone missing Laughing . Worth the walk though - sandwiches from CHF3 or 4 and takeaway coffee (which you pay for at the normal checkouts or self service checkouts) at CHF 2.5. This compares to CHF6.5 for coffee and CHF10 for a sandwich Shocked in the cafes of the airport and railway station. Migros also do hot savouries like pizza slices and foccacia bread with toppings.

If I remember correctly then, is the Migros just before the lift up to the parking area?
ski holidays
Quote:
If I remember correctly then, is the Migros just before the lift up to the parking area?
There is a lift near the Migros supermarket - but not sure where it goes!

This second pic shows how far the supermarket is from the airport. It's on the arrivals level of the terminal. A fair walk (all indoors, through the terminal and train station) as you can see!

snow report
@mountainaddict, I think thats the one. If flights are on time have got a couple of hours to burn so will take a wander. Thanks.
snow report
Blue, skies and sunshine, but chilly.
It was a Fornet Piste Frenzy today, the 2 mates that didn't go yesterday wanted to go today, so the brief was leave early as poss and lunch at 1145. It was busy when we got there, so did a couple of laps and then piled into Cascades where there was already a queue for hot meals. Nothing like when we came out though and as for the poor Ladies, crikey. After another lap we returned home. The pistes are generally in a good condition but the steeper high traffic areas are getting worn back. Look before you leap. There is still avalanche activity around off piste, I hear that there was a couple in the Grand Vallon yesterday with one burial, thankfully recovered unhurt.

Oh and we got to ride on a Val Electric bus - very nice. They just need to persuade the rich peoples hotels to provide electric minibuses (or the rich punters can join us plebs on the bus).

The slack high pressure continues so until Monday afternoon it will be sunny with cold nights and starts gradually warming through the day. There will be a few bits of cloud about here and there but nothing to spoil the day. There may be cloud down in the valley though, I did see a bit creep towards St Foy today. Monday afternoon may see the arrival of a bit of weather with gusty winds and a dusting of snow overnight.
ski holidays
@chocksaway,

Would you be interested in joining Steve A and me on the 27th of February skiing off piste from Le Fornet to Bonneval sur Arc. Returning back to Val d'isere by helicopter.

I am looking for 3 other skiers to join me. The cost for Steve A for the day and the heli flight for each of 4 skiers will be €325.
latest report
welshflyer wrote:
@chocksaway,

Would you be interested in joining Steve A and me on the 27th of February skiing off piste from Le Fornet to Bonneval sur Arc. Returning back to Val d'isere by helicopter.

I am looking for 3 other skiers to join me. The cost for Steve A for the day and the heli flight for each of 4 skiers will be €325.

Have already spoken but it was a no... I think wasnt it Chocks!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
It was a Fornet Piste Frenzy today, the 2 mates that didn't go yesterday wanted to go today, so the brief was leave early as poss and lunch at 1145. It was busy when we got there, so did a couple of laps and then piled into Cascades where there was already a queue for hot meals. Nothing like when we came out though and as for the poor Ladies, crikey. After another lap we returned home. The pistes are generally in a good condition but the steeper high traffic areas are getting worn back. Look before you leap. There is still avalanche activity around off piste, I hear that there was a couple in the Grand Vallon yesterday with one burial, thankfully recovered unhurt.

Oh and we got to ride on a Val Electric bus - very nice. They just need to persuade the rich peoples hotels to provide electric minibuses (or the rich punters can join us plebs on the bus).

The slack high pressure continues so until Monday afternoon it will be sunny with cold nights and starts gradually warming through the day. There will be a few bits of cloud about here and there but nothing to spoil the day. There may be cloud down in the valley though, I did see a bit creep towards St Foy today. Monday afternoon may see the arrival of a bit of weather with gusty winds and a dusting of snow overnight.

there was a few slides around yesterday yes... this was a smaller one we came across today in the GV

latest report
chocksaway wrote:

there was a few slides around yesterday yes... this was a smaller one we came across today in the GV

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@chocksaway,

Have already spoken but it was a no... I think wasnt it Chocks!
snow report
@Steve Angus, Yeah, a no. Quite a trip for the helo to and from Gods Own County!

Another glorious and cold day, half a day for me with admin etc. So a morning of fast charging (in a controlled manner), out of the door at 0850. Round Grand Pre and down Santons, which is narrow at the top but fine (if you like artificial snow) at the bottom. I suspect it will be like a skittles alley in the next few weeks, without a lot of snow. Coffee at Rosies then up and around Col de Ves as all of Tignes seems to be in the queue for Grattalu.

Essentially,, we are in for 3 more days of today weather wise. So cold mornings, mostly sunny, a few clouds, maybe more on Monday afternoon, just watch out for a sharp wind later on Monday, as the front approaches but probably wont reach us (so that 2cm of snow may not arrive). Tuesday, well don't know, much variability in the various tea leaf throwers.

The travel tomorrow, as far as I can tell the railway is back open, although no official fanfare yet, so hopefully all will be well. As for the Funi at Les Arcs they are still saying not before tomorrow. Ironically, last night one of the buses on the replacement service burst into flames in the middle of Bourg! With 32k vehicles coming up and and 26k going down there will be delays mid morning for those heading home and from about 1400 for those coming up. Thats 5k more cars coming to the Tarentaise than last week, they will be virtually all holiday makers so its going to be busier.

On the planes, it will be damp and drizzly up north, but no real problems. However, from Brum and the 4 London airports there is a reasonable chance of freezing fog, as to which ones have delays is down to the capricious weather elves. maybe none, maybe all. Over here it will be fine for aviation, northerly winds on arrival at Chambery so a potential fopr the interesting arrival procedure again (see last weeks explanation!)
ski holidays
@chocksaway, we had a fine day up the Grande Motte but all of Tignes couldn't have been at Garattalu as at least half of them were queing at the top for the cable car.... Very Happy

We've never seen it so busy in January - and as it has been said before I felt like I was taking my life in my hands at some points with the erratic skiers left and right - we usually know where to go to get away from everyone but not this time!
snow report
Well that was a cold day! And the stiff breeze up the Motte did not help! Bright blue skies and generally pistes in good condition. Both resorts are making lots of snow overnight, so apart from the slippy white hippos all is generally in good order, although the runs down to Brev were slick. The snow on the GM pistes is about as good as I remember, apart from when its actually snowed.

Breaking news is there has been an accident near Aime which has blocked the road, cars are being diverted onto the back road to Bourg. As there is an 8k queue at the lights at Aigueblanche, its going to be a long last 30k for some.

Tomorrow will be 2 or 3 days warmer thankfully, blue skies all day, hopefully a little less wind. The mercury should rise another 2 or 3 degrees on Monday, there may be a few fluffy clouds about, but watch out for a stiffening breeze in the afternoon. Tuesday looks similar. The confidence in the forecast for Wednesday is so low its not worth talking about, wildly swing apps will be the order of the day.
ski holidays
And to add insult to injury Chambery Airport has just been evacuated thanks to a suspicious package at security!
snow report
@chocksaway,

Looking forward to it being [2 or 3 days warmer]
ski holidays
Another cold bright sunny groundhog day! Last days for the buddies so it was off to Le Fornet, which is generally quieter on a Sunday before folks spread their wings and get used to the resort extremities. Snow was fab as usual. Areas are becoming more polished but there are lots of mounds of artificial snow around, just don't let them catch you out as you pass from shade to light, they are generally slippier.

3 days more like this, again there may be bits and bats of cloud about, but I really cant stretch it further than that. Good job I'm not paid by the word. The wind might pick up a bit on Wednesday as a front approaches but whether it gets here is subject to debate. Thursday may be cloudy and windy or sunny depending on that front.
latest report
A little bit less cold today but I was having a day off doing a pretty good impression of Widow Twanky as the gang deaparted for Ringway. Little else to report really.

And for the weather: tomorrow will be a carbon copy of today. Wednesday likewise but there may be a bit more wind at altitude. Thursday will be mostly sunny with a few clouds blowing quite quickly across the sky - a tad chilly above 2800m. The cloud will thicken as the lifts close to leave Friday mostly cloudy, there may be the odd break in the afternoon.

Its another greve tomorrow, the local buses will again be limited. The last Boisses rotation is at 2200 tonight and the 2100night service stops at Midnight. Tomorrow the 2100 circuit will be 0730-2030 and to Boisses 09-1200 and 1330-1745. No other restrictions notified, except there will be no avalanche bulletin!
snow report
@Chocksaway
Re timetable the tignes app seems to say no bus on 2100 after 17.45?
Or is my interpretation as wobbly as my skiing?
snow report
My Tignes App says wot @chocksaway, says.
ski holidays
Apologies if this has already been posted in the thread already.

I am considering a long weekend in Tignes - have found decent accommodation lower down the valley in Sainte-Foy for 3 nights but what I cannot figure out is the parking situation in Tignes and where to park if I am driving up for the day. I called the hotel that I have some friends staying at (they cannot offer me parking in the hotel - unless there is space on the day) and they advised parking in the Golf Parking at 22€ a day is this the only option for day trippers? Any advice would be appreciated.
snow report
@extremerob, There is a ton of info on parking in post 2 on the first page
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy