Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway
Yes Kev it was!
On another day with him we had a great ski down thru the fingers in good snow still a bit outside m comfort zone but a sense of achievement non the less!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowornever, He's still here, but independent as https://www.facebook.com/TignesOffPisteOfficial/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway
Thanks
Feels like things are almost back to normal
Le Paiette full this evening very happy hour!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, thank you for the coffees and the very enjoyable afternoon catching up!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If January conditions are anything to judge April conditions by, what's the verdict at the moment? We had Tignes 2020 cancelled for obvious reasons, and this has been the first time we're able to get back, so I really hope that the conditions help us out!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowornever, I didn't make it, I am trying to shake off a cold, nearly there hopefully.

Well the pisteurs were out early today, we had about 25cm of snow yesterday so things opened up relatively quickly in the whiteout. It was a bit windier than expected and then there was an hour over lunchtime when the sun came out and it looked like some nice tracks pff piste, although depths are still not at normal levels, I did see one or two intrepid adventurers come to an abrupt halt on hidden sharks. But then it closed in again and gusty squalls caught everybody out with a few temporary lift closures, luckily it abated by mid afternoon.

As the light fades it has just about stopped snowing but it will start again later this evening. the picture is still confused tomorrow, so I wouldn't be surprised if the forecasts don't work out. But there should be sunny spells in the morning, but then it will cloud over and light snow should fall through the afternoon, but the Meteo France weather site is disagreeing with the Meteo France avalanche forecasters so it might be lightsnow all day. Whatever, a stiff breeze will make it seem cold. Thursday should be mainly sunny with a few fluffy clouds but it will be much, much colder. In any breeze it will bone chilling. Friday will be pretty much a repeat of Thursday. Saturday should be sunny and cold, good day for transfers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
Saturday should be sunny and cold, good day for transfers.

Hopefully!

At the moment, forecasts are conflicted over whether next week will be mostly sunny - or quite snowy. The outlook from some have been changing from the former to the latter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We cleared all the snow off the terrace yesterday evening but after last nights snow we’re going to do it all again, but not complaining.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,

Off to Le Lac for half term... self catering in Le Taos but looking for 3 places to eat out in the evening while we're there. Does anyone have recommendations, we have 2 boys, 6 and 8 who are fine eating out but maybe not fine dinning, would be good to find good quality places still. Have read la queue de cochon in Val C is good but looks a little fancy on website for kids..?

I'm sure this ha been asked multiple time before but my google fu is currently weak and past years places might not be open anymore!? Noted on lunch times options already mentioned ala rogers & La croisse cafe.

Thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
If January conditions are anything to judge April conditions by, what's the verdict at the moment?
Tignes delivers every year in April and into May - full stop. There's absolutely nothing to get worried about and it's not a case of 'conditions holding out' like if you'd booked Morzine for April.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
If January conditions are anything to judge April conditions by, what's the verdict at the moment?
Tignes delivers every year in April and into May - full stop. There's absolutely nothing to get worried about and it's not a case of 'conditions holding out' like if you'd booked Morzine for April.

Totally that. You’ll have nothing to worry about val and Tignes wise into April etc. plenty to choose runs wise.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can anyone tell me if there's a proper moguls course built in Tignes yet? I can't see on in Val Claret on the webcam yet...
Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Canuck wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there's a proper moguls course built in Tignes yet? I can't see on in Val Claret on the webcam yet...
Thanks

There's a 'proper' moguls run where the club de sport train and currently someone from the French moguls team is smashing his knees in there. Not sure if you have to pay yo use like a SL/GS training lane Puzzled

Is this what you mean or just mogul runs of which there are plenty rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
Canuck wrote:
Thanks

There's a 'proper' moguls run where the club de sport train and currently someone from the French moguls team is smashing his knees in there. Not sure if you have to pay yo use like a SL/GS training lane Puzzled

Is this what you mean or just mogul runs of which there are plenty rolling eyes

Yes, that's the sort of thing I'm after, not the natural ones. Where abouts on the hill is it? I'll have a look into how to access it. Thank you!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No sign of the man made moguls run when we were in Tignes last week.

It's usually on the right as you enter Val Claret - ie immediately behind what's left of the outdoor car park.
snow report
Ah...slightly further down the valley. Thanks for the info Smile
snow report
@Canuck, there was one set up a week ago, opposite Coco-tignes parallel to where they cut the half pipe
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@Canuck, there was one set up a week ago, opposite Coco-tignes parallel to where they cut the half pipe

That's where I remember it from last year, but I can't see it in the webcam.
snow conditions
true, looks like they've dismantled/flattened it
snow conditions
@noodlehat, La Queue de Cochon is in Lavachet, yes it is very fine dining but they do have kids options, chicken and chips that sort of thing. Kodo is Asian, so may be a bit exotic/spicy for the kids. The Brasero is good grub. In Lac Bagus Cafe is standard fare, well done. The Arbina is a bit noisy and the tables are too close for me for dinner, Escale Blache is good but they seem to be charging a bit over the odds for me. The Eterlou up Rue de la Poste is very reliable, Fondues, Brasserades etc and lots of different pizzas. If you want to venture to Val Claret L'Armoise is very good (book early, probably applies to all at half term to be fair!). La Ferme at teh entrance to the resort is also very good and the kids can watch the animals through the (smell proof) glass window, but you would probably have to book before you even set off.

Funny old day, bits of blue, bits of whiteout, cloudy and damp in places and quite a bit of new snow, even on the pistes whh was making it hard work for some of the intermediates out tehre today. I set off to Brev to have a look, plenty of soft snow off the sides and it was sunny down there, so I stopped down there! Hopefully, they now have enough snow to open Sache, it did look wel covered on the lower steep pitch where the other runs from Boisses join. This afternoon seems to have been light snow and cloud.

Okey dokey its time for a change in the weather. A weak ridge of high pressure is starting to develop from tomorrow, so the varying forecasts are really only arguing about how much residual cloud is going to remain. But they agree its going to be mostly sunny for the next 4 days, but barkingly cold overnight and in the early morning. If you were warm today like I was, you won't be tomorrow! The snow will continue well into the evening and then the skies will start to clear and the little red line in the thermometer will retreat back into the bulb. There may be a few fluffy clouds in the morning, but mostly sunny and cold, the stiff breeze on high will certainly give you rosy cheeks, if not frost nip, beware. Friday looks the same, perhaps with a few more clouds in the afternoon, but maybe less breeze. Saturday may see a bit more cloud in the morning as there may be a light shower or two to the North, but still cold and bright up here by the time the transfers arrive. Might be a shock for those who insist on travelling in t shirts. Sunday will see sun and a few fluffy clouds, a little bit less cold in the villages. This trend will continue next week, should be a little more clement on the temperatures and there'll be lots of sun.

Avalanche Risk 3 tomorrow, but lots of areas that will open up because of the improved visibility so there may be a dose of powder fever, stay safe.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 18-01-23 16:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@noodlehat,
Couloir in Val Claret may be worth a look for evening. Also Niurou Steakhouse or Langley Hotel Tignes 2100 in Le Lac.

Lunch stops - Jam Bar and Tignes Cuisine in Le Lac.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-01-23 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Wonderful powder today, felt bottomless in places. Nothing too steep given the “4” risk, but didn’t need it as the powder was so light. Lapped the Grand Huit off piste 5 times before moving on. Only 2 other folk in evidence and our paths did not cross.
ski holidays
PS France is on strike tomorrow so there will be fewer buses: 2100 circuit from 7.30 to 2000hrs. 1800 Circuit 0800 to 1830. They also stop at midnight tonight in 2100 and last bus to Boisses is 2200.
latest report
@Kenzie, @chocksaway,
great, many thanks, will look into them.
latest report
@noodlehat,

For cheap lunch - The Corner in Val Claret offers a variety of real meat pies with gravy, proper bacon, English tea and other English Cafe delights.
latest report
Hiya.
Does anyone have an opinion on Tignes Les Brévières?
I've heard mixed reviews of it, some saying it's lovely and some saying it's a bit too inaccessible and takes forever to get to/from.

Thanks.
snow report
We were on the first lift with a fellow Snowhead this morning and headed straight down to Brev'. We passed the top station of the 1800 gondola just as the first skiers started to arrive, so we had first dibs at a lot of snow. The lightest powder I've ever experienced. Like a magic carpet ride. This afternoon I had a mooch over to Val. Great snow everywhere, but did find some slick patches on OK/Orange. Coffee down at Rosie's then home via Trolles/Clarey, which is much improved.

Tired legs tonight wink

ps, snowing again, probably another couple of inches since it started late afternoon.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 18-01-23 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@lcoutts, It's a nice place to ski to and get a coffee or a hot chocolate. We usually walk straight ahead over the bridge to the place with the cauldron outside.
People like to book lunch down in Brev, but, from my limited experience, it's pricey. I've never stayed there btw.

My bugbear with it is the lack of back-up to the Gondola. They removed the lift when the new Gondola went in. In 2019 (I think), when the new Gondola was first put to use, I ended up walking to the 1800 station when it conked out Shocked .

Only my personal opinion as we're used to be being up in 'Lac, but I do feel that you're a bit out of the loop down there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lcoutts wrote:
Hiya.
Does anyone have an opinion on Tignes Les Brévières?
I've heard mixed reviews of it, some saying it's lovely and some saying it's a bit too inaccessible and takes forever to get to/from.

Thanks.

I think both points are correct, so depends on the holiday you want. I have set out my experience below with context to help you decide.

First (and only time) went to Tignes stayed in Le Brev at one of the Chalet Chardon Chalets (Hattiers), we went with another couple so had a bit of a group and also lucked out with the other guests who were incredibly friendly our group had a similar vibe so we got on really well, we had two other groups join for half weeks and I think if they had been the only other guests we would have struggled as we just didn't click. The bars are fun but there are only two so if they aren't your vibe then you might struggle a bit. We also had one of the apartments at the top of Hattier so had a balcony which had amazing views, nothing could beat cake, tea, and a beer at the end of the day looking up at the mountain. It is also a chocolate box alpine town so is a nice place to be, and the ski down into Brev is magical at the end of the day. I enjoyed the gondola up, it meant I had a moment to sort myself out look at the piste map and make a plan for the morning/day.

The restaurant opposite the bridge with the wine cellar (Can't remember the name) is really good, and enjoyed the food a lot there but it was pricey so glad we had chalet catering most nights.

If we did finish our day in Le Lac I didn't find the bus down annoying, just bring a head torch so you can ski down from Le Boisses to Brev on the cat track. Also I notice they have now marked it as a red, but they used to say the first part of the ski run down from the gondola was a blue, and you need to be confident skier to do that part as it ices up, and is quite narrow with drops on the side, this actually threw my wife off for the rest of the week and really knocked her confidence.

I am in Le Lac next week so will be able to provide a comparison after that.
ski holidays
IMV the 'problem' with Brev is that there is really only one way out (now that Marais is gone) and one way back in again. You'll basically end up at Lo Soli on the way up and probably again on the way back down again (which isn't necceserily a bad thing Happy ), and to go further you have to ski down into Le Lac and get either Paqui, Toviere or Palafour up. If any of the two gondolas (Brev to Bosses or Boisses to Aguille Rouge) or Aguille Rouge itself are busted then there is no way out on skis. You can get the bus from Boisses to Le Lac as a last resort though.

The final runs back aren't to everyones liking either (Rhodedendron & Melezes). It's a narrow goat track/road which is in the shade most of the day and can get quite cut up and icy. If the snow isn't good, then it can also get a bit stoney and muddy too. Weaker skiiers might prefer to get the gondolas back down again towards the end of the week, or the Bus from LeLac to Boisses, and then just do the green between Boisses and Brev.

Having said all that, the area above Brev is the only part of Tignes/Val Diz that has trees, so in bad weather it is a good place to be. Also some good black runs (Sache, Silene) and off piste variations if that's your thing. And on a sunny late season trip sitting out on the deck chairs in the sun quaffing a beer or three at the bottom beats being in the office.
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Totally that. You’ll have nothing to worry about val and Tignes wise into April etc. plenty to choose runs wise.

Agreed. We love Tignes in April. Suns usually, is warm and the snow cover is still great. It gets a little cruddy in the afternoon, but you can always find good snow.
ski holidays
If Carlsberg did ski days.....
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
If Carlsberg did ski days.....

The chances are they wouldn't be in France due to the predominance of Kronenburg ... Toofy Grin
snow report
@Kenzie,

It was far too cold to be a Carlsberg ski day.
snow conditions
Hi all - great info in this thread as always, appreciate it!

Just wanted to pick up on this:
Judwin wrote:
IMV the 'problem' with Brev is that there is really only one way out (now that Marais is gone)

I had seen the Marais lift on Fatmap and thought it looked super useful, but looking at the piste map it appears to have vanished which of course jives with what Judwin says above. However a couple of sites were suggesting it had been renovated a couple of seasons ago (e.g. here: https://www.skicollection.co.uk/blog/archive/whats-new-in-ski-resorts-this-season/):
Quote:
Upgrades have been made to the Marais chairlift, making it an express lift, with an estimated journey time of 8 minutes and 20 seconds. The lift links the Aiguille Rouge (which is above Tignes 1800) to the Aiguille Percée.

Is that not the case? I'm staying in Lavachet in Feb so was notionally eyeing starting the day on Chaudannes then skiing to get Marais to the top of L'Aiguille Percee - would be a shame if that's not an option this year!

Thanks!
latest report
GeorgeVII wrote:
We usually walk straight ahead over the bridge to the place with the cauldron outside.

Its L'Armailly and I think the food is excellent and good prices to be honest!
latest report
Quote:
Is that not the case? I'm staying in Lavachet in Feb so was notionally eyeing starting the day on Chaudannes then skiing to get Marais to the top of L'Aiguille Percee - would be a shame if that's not an option this year!
It's definitely gone @forwardrupert - that is unless it's been replaced since we left Tignes on 14th January wink Apparently it was all but condemned and is scheduled to be replaced at some (yet to be determined) point.

You'll need to reach Aiguille Percée from the other side - ie up Palafour Chair from Le Lac and then ski down to Aig. Perc. Chair. Not great but hopefully the new Marais Chair won't be too long in the offing.
snow report
forwardrupert wrote:
Hi all - great info in this thread as always, appreciate it!

Just wanted to pick up on this:
Judwin wrote:
IMV the 'problem' with Brev is that there is really only one way out (now that Marais is gone)

I had seen the Marais lift on Fatmap and thought it looked super useful, but looking at the piste map it appears to have vanished which of course jives with what Judwin says above. However a couple of sites were suggesting it had been renovated a couple of seasons ago (e.g. here: https://www.skicollection.co.uk/blog/archive/whats-new-in-ski-resorts-this-season/):
Quote:
Upgrades have been made to the Marais chairlift, making it an express lift, with an estimated journey time of 8 minutes and 20 seconds. The lift links the Aiguille Rouge (which is above Tignes 1800) to the Aiguille Percée.

Thanks!

Just the Aiguille Rouge chair for this year - next year will be different again!
snow report
@forwardrupert, It's gone. Not been there for the past two seasons. Completely gone - all the lift pylons, the take off area and equipment, and the landing area - all gone. There are rumours that it's going to be replaced (eventually) but as things stand, the only way to get to Sache, Silene and Mysosis are to go up to the Aguille Percee, and ski off the back.

They've also upgraded and moved the landing zone for Aguille Rouge. It's now much lower down just above the Lo Soli. That means you can't cut under it to get to the Mysosis red run, or the (often bottomless) off piste either side of it.

In short, I haven't liked any of the 'improvements' made in that sector over the past 5 years. And Sache hasn't been open so far this season either. I hope it's down to lack of snow, and not because the next step is removing it completely.
snow report
Thanks all for the rapid and comprehensive replies!

Real shame to have what looks like a really useful link dismantled, hope it will be back one day.

Haven’t been to Tignes in probably 6 years - very excited to get back! I’ve taken note of all the apres recommendations in the thread but good to hear Loop is still going strong Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy