Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
@dorhar, Other options:

1. New Gen
2. Oxygen
3. BASS
4. Progression
5. Supreme
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another great day today, with some nice stretches of powder among a few crusty/tricky bits Very Happy

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gixxerniknik wrote:
@dorhar, Shame about TDC, I've had probably the best ever private lesson with Sarah (now not teaching I think) in Tignes. I would recommend Ultimate ski as a second choice. I have to say that I only book private lessons (with a couple of mates) though.

Sarah and Duncan are the team these days behind the Queue du Cochon restaurant in Lac. She doesnt teach anymore no. Unfortunately.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gixxerniknik wrote:
@dorhar, Shame about TDC, I've had probably the best ever private lesson with Sarah (now not teaching I think) in Tignes. I would recommend Ultimate ski as a second choice. I have to say that I only book private lessons (with a couple of mates) though.

Sarah and Duncan are the team these days behind the Queue du Cochon restaurant in Lac. She doesnt teach anymore no. Unfortunately.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dorhar, give tdc ring and see if they can fit you in?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus, I used to make a point of having a meal in their restaurant every time I went to Tignes (even the first one on the lake...can't remember the name) because the food is just so good, Duncan is a great chef. So glad it's working for them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gixxerniknik wrote:
@Steve Angus, I used to make a point of having a meal in their restaurant every time I went to Tignes (even the first one on the lake...can't remember the name) because the food is just so good, Duncan is a great chef. So glad it's working for them.

Nice - they still run that place (Terrachu) in the Summer and Queue in the Winter. We go for at least one Summer lunch there a year and they do a great BBQ on the waterfront for lunch!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last day on skis are Tignes today. We’ll check out the sector from Aiguille Percee down to 1800/Les Brevieres.
My wife will be with me. Is it likely that Sache will be groomed?
Also any recommendation for coffee down in 1800 or 1550?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
Last day on skis are Tignes today. We’ll check out the sector from Aiguille Percee down to 1800/Les Brevieres.
My wife will be with me. Is it likely that Sache will be groomed?
Also any recommendation for coffee down in 1800 or 1550?

Stay on the red piste that maybe groomed. Sache definitely not!

In brevieres walk over the bridge at the end of the ski run and try bar on left. La Boudia?

Hope you have enjoyed your time in Tignes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stewart woodward,
Thanks. We’ve had a fantastic time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes brain trust. A restaurant recommendation please. Somewhere that we will be greeted and our order taken in French that is not too high end as I am paying for 6.
Le Lac preferred but we’ll jump on the bus if needed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker, L’Armoise in ValClaret. Good value fare, well cooked, but you’ll need to book!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chocksaway, Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
Tignes brain trust. A restaurant recommendation please. Somewhere that we will be greeted and our order taken in French that is not too high end as I am paying for 6.
Le Lac preferred but we’ll jump on the bus if needed.

We have always made a point of eating at L'eterlou in Le Lac when we are on the PSB.
Always very pleased with the food and wines, and not hideously expensive.

..Nick
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@big_ben, thanks
snow conditions
A day of three halves, and congrats to the Swiss weather service for getting it right and disagreeing with the majority! There was a leaden sky at first light but it soon started snowing lightly, so as Mate No 1 is here for only 3 days, La Daille it was. Interestingly the lady in the lift pass office suggested that he didnt buy a 3 day pass because of the weather, and 3 x 1 day passes = 1 3 day pass. We did a couple of laps and planned to do one trip up the funi and down for coffee. But we got to the top and a milky sun came out so Grand Pre and Marmottes before coffee. The pistes must have been soft yesterday afternoon and then froze before the snow as it was quite hard beneath the 5cm or so of fresh snow, which quickly brushed to the sides, but not before some hero piste skiing in a quiet resort. After a whizz round Borsat and a couple more runs lunch was taken at Marmottes where I bumped into a lot of the usual 'bad pennies' including Bobski! After luunch we returned via the Palet circuit and then up to try the new Aiguille Rouge Chair, very impressive and should remove one of the bottlenecks. By now it was 3 and it clouded over and started snowing about 3.30 so back home for a rest and Happy Hour at QDC.

Tomorrow should start with a milky sun which should last through the morning, there may be some sunny breaks and there will be a gusty wind at height. The cloud will then thicken before precipitation starts late evening, the snowline should be below the Dam, maybe not Brev. Sunday will be snowy, the models are still disagreeing on the amounts, the Swiss are going for broke with 30cm. Strong winds at height and the snow should stop in the evening. The rest of the week is going to be very unsettled so the timings are far from fixed from Monday onwards, but the forecast snowmaggedon seems to be off the cards, but still plenty. But the temperature will drop some 7 or 8 degrees over Sunday night with teh freezing level somewhere down at Lyon, winters back Currently, Monday morning looks grey and then the snow will start around lunchtime, moderate in intensity and continue into Tuesday where confidence in the forecast stops! But it will be windy, may be snowy and there may be some sunny spells.

As for the travellers, not many cars around this weekend so the roads won't be too busy but you will need chains or winters for the last part of the ascent if this snow continues. For the snakes on a plane, it will be showery (sometimes heavy) all across the UK, in the showers the cross winds should be just within limits unless you are very unlucky, maybe a short wait. Over here, all looks good apart from Chambery where patch mist will be wandering around and they are forecasting a 40% chance of fog till 9 o clock. SO the early flights may well wait to see if this forms and if it does you'll probably sit on the ground for a bit

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-01-23 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@chocksaway, Bobski had a day off driving and went skiing instead?!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Happy Hour at QDC.

C u there
snow report
@Chocksaway … do you know who the daily group of British bods are who always sit on the same table in Marmottes (first left as you enter the dining room after the self service counter) ? whenever Mr E and I are in there we always notice this group, especially when we sat there one time and someone looked mighty put out that we had done so Very Happy then proceeded to tell the rest of the group that someone was on ‘their’ table Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, Leaving in 10.

@Extremophile, No.......but I'll watch out - about what time?
snow report
Can't believe how good the conditions are right now. Especially after hearing all the doom and gloom! If anyone was skiing here the last couple of days, especially today, and they didn't have a good time, they should take up a new sport!
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@stewart woodward, Leaving in 10.

@Extremophile, No.......but I'll watch out - about what time?

We drop in anytime between 1030 and 1130 (leaving time varies according to the days conditions) and they’re either already there or arrive shortly thereafter. I often like to sit nearer the fire and at first I didn’t really pay it much thought but one day I wasn’t feeling too well so we spent quite a bit of time in there til I felt a bit better and both of us noticed this group, now we can’t stop noticing said group.
ski holidays
Just got back from Le Rendezvous in Le Lac. The best dinner experience we’ve had in France ever. (A huge sample of about 15 dinners out). The waiter was hugely animated and the proprietor was very grumpy. Very entertaining and very French.
snow conditions
Quote:
If anyone was skiing here the last couple of days, especially today, and they didn't have a good time, they should take up a new sport!
Indeed. It was absolutely awful today Confused Must go - off to take up bog snorkeling...

latest report
Kalinda Girl wrote:
@chocksaway, Bobski had a day off driving and went skiing instead?!

I managed both. An awesome week with the legendary Ru G to top up my tech homework; video nasties review to end the day then a drive down to Bourg for the weekly shop and to pop round the door of my lovely landlady.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
Just got back from Le Rendezvous in Le Lac. The best dinner experience we’ve had in France ever. (A huge sample of about 15 dinners out). The waiter was hugely animated and the proprietor was very grumpy. Very entertaining and very French.

That's our go to place for a first night Pizza. Yeah, the woman (owner?) who is usually behind the bar is a bit of a character, - I think some of Jo-Jo's personality has worn off on her. This year we were served by a waiter who, when we attempted to speak only in French, got into the swing of it and started teaching us some new words Happy

I can see why some people don't enjoy it in there, but we do.
snow report
@Judwin,

Where is Le Rendezvous and do they offer a reasonably priced menu for lunch?
latest report
@Judwin, Chez Mao, mad as a box of frogs but lovely. Sadly old Alain has moved on as a chef so no more escargots on your Margherita pizza!

Right today was fab. A this veil of cloud or sunshine till 3.30 when the cloud thickedned. We were out at 9 and did a tour Of La daille, the Solaise and Le Fornet with stops at the top of the Solaise for coffee and Casacdes for lunch. The pistes are 95 % in good nick, some high traffic areas were a bit polished early on. Even Arcelles was better than normal. The red down to Boisses is a bit skaity (sp?). Luckily the fog banks that did form at Chambery blew away just before first landing.

However, a few jams up at Tignes at the moment, as one of the snow clearance tipper trucks had dumped his load over the edge of the river bank and had set off uphill without lowering the hopper back down. So it has collided with the paravalanche, doh.

Right the weather should be OK for travel for tomorrow but bumpy and showery. The cloud will thicken tonight and it will start snowing in the small hours and continue for most of tomorrow, it will vary in intensity, guess the tree lined areas will be busy. It will be breezy at altitude and probably a white out and probably shut. Up to 15 cm of snow by Monday morning. There might just be a suckers gap around breakfast time. It is also likely that we may just see a sunset as the sky clears and the temperature drops by 6 or 7 degrees compared with previous days or nights, more layers Monday. Monday may start dry and cloudy but teh snow will quickly arrive and continue at moderate intensity through the day. Lots of wind about so pretty baltic. There may be the odd respite in the afternoon. Its all a bit complex after that but Tuesaday looks snowy and cold and sunny spells and showers on Wed. But I wouldn't put any money on the Forecast beyond Monday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No info on menus, restaurants or shopping wink - just confirmation that anyone arriving in Tignes/Val D anytime soon is in for a whale of a time. Conditions are brilliant and there's still powder to be had just off the pistes Very Happy

Another amazing day today - and quiet too, it being a Saturday. Sadly, our last day in Tignes until March.

snow report
@chocksaway, hello there. We finally made it after a catalogue of trials. I will give you a ring. We’re supposed to be meeting a friend in Val tomorrow- do you think that’s a safe thing to plan or will Tommeuse be shut with the wind? I’d like to get back over this side not long after lunch.
snow conditions
@lynnecha,

The wind is not forecast to be too strong Sunday. Tommusses should be OK, if not you can always return via Borsat and Val claret
ski holidays
We are back in Tignes. Mixed journey with a rock n' roll North Sea crossing on Thursday night. (btw, diesel/gazole Euro 1.61 at the services in Luxembourg. 1.86 at le Clerc in Aime). Stayed in Chalon sur Soane on the way down.

Met "the locals in the QDC in Lavachet last night. Not seen so many familiar faces since pre-covid.

Breezy in Lavachet this morning with a few flocons blowing around.

It's good to be back. Cool
snow report
Quote:
will Tommeuse be shut with the wind?
It's operated for the last seven days in pretty strong winds at times - face masks needed for the top section. A pretty miserable and challenging ascent at times...
snow report
@stewart woodward, thanks Stewart. It was the thought of the pereshing journey up Borsat in the wind that was putting me off! Very Happy

Anyway- we made it there and made it back- not the best day for seeing but I bet it will be fab when they turn the lights back on… Confused
ski holidays
Funny thing, memory!
We paused yesterday pm just above bec rouge before skiing down to the track in front the building and a bloke skied between us on his down same route
We exchanged a look if you know what I mean as if we sort of half recognised each other!
I recall doing an ILG day some years ago and this chap could have been in that group
I abandoned that day early on as the standard was far too good for me in white out heavy snowing conditions
Strange thing memory I usually have trouble recalling what happens yesterday never mind years ago!!
snow report
Did a couple of laps down to Brev' this morning. Pretty good snow almost all the way down. It's snowing quite heavily now. Top of Palafour was a bit brutal for our final run. Sacked it off now for a late lunch.
ski holidays
First lets have some uplifting news - the Chardonnet Drag and the Almes chair are now open! As it was mates last day of 3 we went out at nine and it wasn't too bad, the village was noticably busier this morning and there seemed to be lots more beginners round the magic carpets that usual too. I wonder if thats folks trading up to Tignes because of the conditions down low. Having traversed Palet we went up Lanches where thes sunow was very good, so we did it again. The loud was starting to thicken and the wind was picking up so the funi was chosen to keep warm. As there was no queue for the cable car we got on and then disappeared into cloud, 10 minutes too late. But again conditions were good and the odd flake was falling. It was clear the weather was worsening so with a view to quiet skiing amongst the trees whilst everyone ate lunch we had a 1130 Aspen! After that we lapped the La Daille Gondy a few times until the wind picked up and the snow became heavy, we then gave up. I think it has jsut stopped snowing (about 5pm) but lots of fallen snow blowing around still and the temperature dropped 4 degs during the siesta.

For this week the synoptic chart is a mess so nailing down forecasts beyond a day or two is going to be difficult. But its going to be cold and snowy, but it might not be too windy from Tuesday as we are at the centre of the depression on current predictions.
Right: More Layers Monday, eventually theskies will clear tonight and the mercury will drop before clouding over and becoming snowy, probably just as the lifts open. It will be windy tomorrow, so expect pretty much a whiteout. There may be the odd sunny spell just before lift closing. Tuesday will again be snowy and breezy at altitude, proper winter. Wednesday should see a drop in the winds and probably light snow all day. For what its worth Thursday looks cloudy with the odd glimpse of the sun.

Dig out the thermals!
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
Funny thing, memory!
We paused yesterday pm just above bec rouge before skiing down to the track in front the building and a bloke skied between us on his down same route
We exchanged a look if you know what I mean as if we sort of half recognised each other!
I recall doing an ILG day some years ago and this chap could have been in that group
I abandoned that day early on as the standard was far too good for me in white out heavy snowing conditions
Strange thing memory I usually have trouble recalling what happens yesterday never mind years ago!!
l skied that route into Bec Rouge yesterday at 13.30, in time to watch the football. I have done some ILG sessions pre covid.
ski holidays
Tigski wrote:
snowornever wrote:
Funny thing, memory!
l skied that route into Bec Rouge yesterday at 13.30, in time to watch the football. I have done some ILG sessions pre covid.

That’s earlier than us,by about 1hour can’t recall guides name but he was ex marine
I do believe chocks might have been in the group!
latest report
@snowornever, Could well have been, sounds like you are talking about Kev as the guide. Cant thin who the mystery guy is if its not Tigski.

After a night at the QDC (Escargots and Cuisse de curried bunny - fab) and seeing the mate of this morning I had an Admin day. There was some lovely pink tinges to the mountain tops at 8, but by 9 it had started snowing lightly and snow has continued all day from light snow to heavy. However, there was a massive squall late morning which brought a lot of lifts to a sudden halt, some jolly chilled folks around by all reports. You will not be surprised if I say I had an admin day, I did take a break for coffee with @lynnecha, lots of catching up done!

So guess what? Avalanche risk 4 tomorrow, and you wont be able to see much, so do take care.

There may be the odd break in the clouds tonight, but by first light it will be snowy and breezy again, but as we are in the centre of the depression so hopefully better than today. But it will be a slow and progressive start, expect an early alarm call from the pisteurs and only a few lifts will be open to start with long queues. Their tricky job will be compounded by the bad conditions. Stay patient, they have a lot of snow to move into an eye pleasing and safe condition. Wednesday is still a bit of a conundrum depending on who you ask. Mainly grey with light snow, maybe some sunny spells in the morning. Thursday should be nice by daytime, sunny spells but very cold, good job its not too windy (hopefully). Friday may be similar.

Stay safe there will be fresh tracks all week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy