Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
What's the best time to buy ski passes? I have been monitoring the price right after they announced it and was hoping they would do black Friday discounts! Guess there's no real incentive to buy ski passes early?

p.s. also didn't know they got rid of the Espace Killy branding!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@euanovsky, The price of lift passes has never been changed in season. It is what it is, one less thing to worry about. If you use a tour op and passes are included they may well play around with prices.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right then, I've completed my Tour de Parkings in Tignes. Here's how things have shaped up, working "bottom up". I will interweave feedback from a chat with the parking office and will update the info on page 1 either late tonight or more likely tomorrow.

Les Brevieres: North and South car parks are now fenced and gated with a tariff board on the entrance to each so both are definitely chargeable now. The small one behind Chardons / Interski is still there, still signposted with a P (and "Tetras Lodge" beneath the P) and has no barrier. Indinogo have no idea it exists and insist it's not under their control. So, take your chances... There is still space to park on the road just before North car park and along the access road to South car park. However, it is not allowed to park here unless these two car parks are full, in which case rocking up to the barrier at either of them will elicit a parking permit to display in the window once you have pressed buttons and inserted your credit card.

Tignes 1800 - Blondin: slightly patheic looking signs on entry saying that parking there must be authorised and to apply to the Municipal Police. No actual barriers though. About half the vehicles were displaying an A5-sized permit with Tignes logos and their car reg. Most of the rest had been ticketed with the threat to get towed.

Les Boisses: new barrier installed; no tarifff board and a scanner of some sort. Indinogo say it's now payable and for residents only.

Lac2, Lac3, Lavachet, Rosset: no change on first glance.

Lac 1: looks like it's no longer seasonnire-only and has a tariff board outside. Indinogo were unsure if it's now public and said to come back another day after they had clarified with the management.

Grande Motte: now open to the public and to seasonnaires. Don't yet know if you can pre-book (you never used to be able to).

Golf, Boucle Sud: no change as far as I can tell, save for ANPR on the seasonnaire entrance & exit to Golf.

Overall, I think the penny has dropped on what they are trying to do. I think they are trying to clear the car parks in locations that are preferred by holidaymakers of any seasonnaires to ease pressure on the punter front, and push all the longer-term parking for workers to Blondin. Oh, and make a bit more money in the process,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have just heard, belatedly, that Moira Ross, has passed away on 15th Nov.

She and Ali have been part of the fabric of Tignes for many years, she will be sadly missed. Understandably, Ali will not be conducting courses for a while.

https://www.alirossskiingclinics.com/blank-template-page-with-pics-copy-ZBARElgCF72
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/1uzi5Et6eBA
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure if this is the place to ask this
looking at this thread and the tignes website ,Parking Du Golf is the only place to park in Val Claret??
Near where we'll be staying for a few days there seems to lots of little places to park or they for unloading only or special parking permits ???

thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fmpe57B6cg1wArzv5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8QPGYxksv4pYJP4T8

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 28-11-22 17:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Blondin: slightly patheic looking signs on entry saying that parking there must be authorised and to apply to the Municipal Police. No actual barriers though. About half the vehicles were displaying an A5-sized permit with Tignes logos and their car reg. Most of the rest had been ticketed with the threat to get towed.
Thanks for the update bobski62. I hope you enjoyed your tour wink

When we visited (yesterday and the day before), the Blondin signs were either not there, or were so invisible that we missed them. I wonder if they've been put up since yesterday - and all the non-compliant cars ticketed since then as well?

I still think the parking charges are far too expensive - particularly on top of the current sky high car hire costs and in the current financial climate. A case of screwing a captive market. I'm sure it will put some visitors off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good try @wasley, and I have to confess I wondered about that particular space too last autumn. Then as the season unfolded discovered why it does not work. Basically that parking area is where all the snow ploughs dump their snow temporarily when clearing the roads. It then gets trucked down the valley and dumped in the river a bit beyond the town boundary.

Realistically, there is no free parking this year in Tignes for holidaymakers. Only working seasonnaires get free parking and that's down in Tignes 1800.

Thanks @mountainaddict, I did actually have a nice drive. It's really rather beautiful still as we catch the last few autumn days down lower. I have to admit, I probably only saw the signs because I was looking for them and had to park and get out to see what exactly they were all about. The tickets looked fairly fresh and not beat up / soggy. I do agree, parking is one of the ball-aches of skiing in Tignes. No different in Val d'Isere and even Bourg has made the big car park at the bottom of the funi payable now ( been a few years in fact). So yes, another "profit centre".

A quick edit - I've now updated the main info on Page 1. If you see anything wrong, holler!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 28-11-22 22:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobski62 wrote:
Good try @wasley, and I have to confess I wondered about that particular space too last autumn. Then as the season unfolded discovered why it does not work. Basically that parking area is where all the snow ploughs dump their snow temporarily when clearing the roads. It then gets trucked down the valley and dumped in the river a bit beyond the town boundary.

Realistically, there is no free parking this year in Tignes for holidaymakers. Only working seasonnaires get free parking and that's down in Tignes 1800.

It was a long shot Smile .... We are going beginning of March so i guess its best to pre book than turn up on the day
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woke this morning to light snow and about 5cm of fresh (so far) in Val Claret.

It should hopefully refresh the traficked/slick bits Very Happy

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is Tignes going to be a car free resort as per Wengen and Zermatt (although without the rail links)? Discuss.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how can that possibly be workable ? its at the end of a dead end valley in winter
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stefoy4me wrote:
how can that possibly be workable ? its at the end of a dead end valley in winter

Agrees, but by building on a main carpark, then passing the booking system onto a French website that is causing chaos ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bobski62, Thank you so much for your detailed parking investigation and sharing of all relevant information!
My car was inside the Golf car park since before last saturday, I am staying in Tignes untill this thursday.
The applicable Golf cost would be E 99 for saturday to thursday, if I didn't take my car out for a short outing.
However, I had an appointment in the valley today. I will also have one tomorrow afternoon afer skiing. Apparently, as I was informed by the parking staff today, it is no longer possible to go in and out of the parking with a paid ticket, as it was last year.
You have to pay upon exit for the period the car was parked. I could not pay 99E and then freely enter and leave untill thursday. I had to pay for the period of saturday to this morning (E 61). And when I re entered this afternoon, my time started running again from zero. There is a higher cost for shorter stays so I will end up paying more than the 99E if my car would have stayed the entire time in the car park.
This is very unrelated to skiing, sorry for the complaining Smile but I cannot imagine every Tignes parking customer never taking out their car during their stay, so some people this winter will also unfortunately encounter this. Hopefully this part of their practices changes. I have tried to call the indigo Tignes office to really check that this is not a mistake, but as mentioned by someone before, they could not be reached.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reading about the parking issues and on other social media . Likely to drive out to Tignes later in the season Easter but my daughter is a wheelchair user and wandered whether there are are disabled parking spaces in de lac assuming we don’t have a space with wherever we book additional complication our vehicle is a caravelle with roof bars so higher. Thanks if anyone can offer wisdom
snow conditions
@dan100, Hopefully someone more familiar with the disability parking situation will be able to shed more light on it. However, your van will almost certainly fit in Lac 3 car park (below the Maison). And there are lifts down to parking levels. And an exit directly out onto the bus station.

When you have your accommodation secured, maybe an email to the Maison explaining your situation. Perhaps they could issue you with a street parking permit.
snow conditions
Quote:
This is very unrelated to skiing, sorry for the complaining
Oh but it's very related to skiing at Tignes JulieAimeLeSki! A holiday supplement (compared to the previous years 30-odd years that I have visited Tignes and never paid for long-term parking) of over €250 on a fortnight's trip.

I'm surprised that everyone is seemingly very happy to just shrug and suck it up, without so much as a squeak of discontentment rolling eyes

Is there only me that's been a regular user of the free parking over the years and is totally peed off about this? And in the first season that Mrs MA and I have bought season tickets too....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 29-11-22 22:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Latest parking rant over wink

Nice skiing today. It snowed lightly all day but cleared enough at altitude in the afternoon for some nice turns in the fresh snow Very Happy

Much improved conditions - with the glacier pistes being pick of the bunch.

snow report
@mountainaddict, I guess that for many of the regular posters on this thread, (including myself) paid parking of some form or another is the norm. Either through seasonnaire, or property owner contract parking.

In 20 or so years visiting Tignes I have never used free parking. In more recent years, and certainly since I retired, our stays have become longer and longer, including a full 5 months Season. Horses for courses, but I prefer my vehicle secured under cover and accessible 24/7. I've rented lock-ups from mates, as well as local French owners. I have flown home in February to avoid the half-term mayhem, and left my van in Tignes. 2x cheap GVA/MAN flights and about 150 euros on Snowdrone transfers. I've also witnessed a line of parked cars near Val'd centre, the sides of which had been opened up like sardine cans during snow clearing. Street parking comes with risks, and not just from the elements. You may yet find a workaround for it, but I feel this is the new norm. It went from bad to worse when the new ClubMed development wasn't able to go as deep as planned with their groundworks, and consequently provide fewer underground parking spaces.

On the plus side, It looks like you were able to enjoy some nice snow conditions out there.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 30-11-22 10:31; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@dan100, Hopefully someone more familiar with the disability parking situation will be able to shed more light on it. However, your van will almost certainly fit in Lac 3 car park (below the Maison). And there are lifts down to parking levels. And an exit directly out onto the bus station.

When you have your accommodation secured, maybe an email to the Maison explaining your situation. Perhaps they could issue you with a street parking permit.
possibly I can check out when go out early Jan to visit my son.
snow conditions
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
@bobski62, Thank you so much for your detailed parking investigation and sharing of all relevant information!
My car was inside the Golf car park since before last saturday, I am staying in Tignes untill this thursday.
The applicable Golf cost would be E 99 for saturday to thursday, if I didn't take my car out for a short outing.
However, I had an appointment in the valley today. I will also have one tomorrow afternoon afer skiing. Apparently, as I was informed by the parking staff today, it is no longer possible to go in and out of the parking with a paid ticket, as it was last year.
You have to pay upon exit for the period the car was parked. I could not pay 99E and then freely enter and leave untill thursday. I had to pay for the period of saturday to this morning (E 61). And when I re entered this afternoon, my time started running again from zero. There is a higher cost for shorter stays so I will end up paying more than the 99E if my car would have stayed the entire time in the car park.
This is very unrelated to skiing, sorry for the complaining Smile but I cannot imagine every Tignes parking customer never taking out their car during their stay, so some people this winter will also unfortunately encounter this. Hopefully this part of their practices changes. I have tried to call the indigo Tignes office to really check that this is not a mistake, but as mentioned by someone before, they could not be reached.

I'm sure I read when I pre booked for Christmas that you can go in and out as much as you want with a pre booking?
latest report
@mountainaddict, It's definitely not only you Smile It feels almost parking maffia like Smile People are looking for ways to get around it, but we haven't found any. We tend to mostly spend time in Tignes in summer / autumn, where parking is free. So we'll be sticking more closely to that or even go elsewhere, as was needed this autumn as the glacier couldn't open anyways.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict,
I want what you had yesterday. Looks fantastic. Can't wait.

Any clues on how to upload photos to the forum. Do I need some special membership? I can't see any 'attached file' anywhere.
latest report
@swskier, I agree that my experience is way too weird, your idea is a lot more logical. I don't know how it works though. I just downloaded the app to check out the options..

I tried to call them for information before re-entering, as I do not think this is normal parking behaviour. Or as you say, there has to be a way around with the right approach.

I was assured this was normal under Indigo and the only way to go to my appointment today by the Indigo staff member on duty (a scottish woman).

End of my parking feelings of the day Smile apologies! Ready for tomorrow's 8 hours of Eh oh! ️ on the snow
snow report
Quote:
Street parking comes with risks, and not just from the elements.
Agreed. Which is why we've never used it - only the proper freebie car parks at Les Boisses and Les Brevieres.
Quote:
I guess that for many of the regular posters on this thread, (including myself) paid parking of some form or another is the norm. Either through seasonnaire, or property owner contract parking.
I accept the principle of paying for parking (especially covered) but why does it have to be a case of take people's eyes out and come back for the sockets? The Tignes prices are extortionate. So is it €19 a day - on top of the lift ticket price - for day visitors? Shocked That used to be free at the Grande Motte car park. We have owned a Tignes apartment for 15 years, but have never heard of property owner contract parking Puzzled (No doubt because we've been parking for free.) Please tell me more @GeorgeVII.
Quote:

It feels almost parking maffia like. People are looking for ways to get around it, but we haven't found any
The mafia bit madea me laugha @JulieAimeLeSki Laughing We're looking to cancel car hire for our January and March trips and book our (first ever Very Happy ) bus/train transfers instead wink

Quote:
Any clues on how to upload photos to the forum. Do I need some special membership?
It used to be free via the Snowmediazone section of Snowheads @sbooker - but, like the Tignes parking, is now chargeable wink I pay £25 a year to be a Super snowHead That allows me to post photos Very Happy
ski holidays
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

have never heard of property owner contract parking

I'm a renter, not an owner. @Chocksaway is probably the man to enlighten you as to how it works in practice.

edit, Though I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits/returns on the owner's scheme are diminishing. rolling eyes
snow report
I concur. @chocksaway, is the man to speak to about parking for property owners. I do a season let so in Indigo-speak I believe I am viewed as a "resident". I am not however a formal resident in France and not subject to French tax, etc.

To get my parking in Golf I had to create an account on the Indigo website then select the parking I wanted and the length of time. Finally I uploaded a scan of my car registration doc - my V5, as it's a UK car (Carte Grise is the French equivalent) and a scan of my formal French season let contract* (Bail Saison). After lots of waiting and chasing I could finally collect my entry card and sticker from the Lac 3 parking office (the sticker must be affixed inside the windscreen).

Not yet had to use the entry card as it looks like Golf pass-holders entrance and exit has had ANPR installed, which is nice for a driver of a RHD car.

* Edit: alternatively you can use a scan of your Taxe d'habitation. A chap I know did this instead of going through the proprietors scheme.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 30-11-22 15:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Does Lac3 still have 2 hours free parking? It's a handy indoor place to put snow chains on if the road up to Tignes is clear but the final few hundred yards to your accommodation isn't.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sadly, some more bad news has just arrived. Joe Harkness of TDC fame passed away last Thursday. Joe worked mostly in Val but lived in Tignes. As well as ski instruction he also appeared as a chef, last season he worked in the Box. RIP Joe and sincere condolences to his family.
ski holidays
Quote:
Though I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits/returns on the owner's scheme are diminishing
Speaking of benefits, I see the mainly-US Epic Pass (which is cheaper than an Espace Killy season pass) gets you 20% off accommodation and food and drink in mountain restaurants and a 3 Vallees pass gets you x6 free ski days in some Colorado resorts. Am I right in thinking that there are no benefits whatsoever associated with our first ever Tignes season pass? Not so much as a free cafe au lait or tacky buff? Laughing
snow report
@bobski62, And as a "temporary resident" you get a Season's parking at a reduced rate?
snow conditions
Hi @GeorgeVII, yes, as a season-long resident I got a reduced rate.

But I bumped into a chap I know today who is an owner and used the exact same process as me, with the minor exception that instead of uploading a scan of his season-let contract he uploaded a scan of his Taxe d'habitation which is in the list of acceptable proofs on the Indigo website. I'll do an edit to my post this morning.

@Judwin - yes. I took advantage of this at the end of my Tour de Parkings and put the car into Lac 3 while I chatted to the very friendly and helpful parking staff. And, I should say, what a great tip for putting on your chains! It's very often the case that up to the Lac roundabout the road is black but beyond the tunnel it's white. Warm, cosy and light in Lac 3 car park compared to the blizzard, traffic and dark outside... I should add your advice to Page 1.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, got to laugh! STGM do have a scheme where season pass holders get free drinks. It works like this: as you are here for the whole winter, you'll be riding the lifts lots and lots. Inevitably one of them will break down for an extended period at which point STGM will hand out free drinks vouchers. If you find you are particularly thirsty then Brev bubble should be your lift of choice...
ski holidays
Will it be possible to ski down to 2100 from the Val side? From the webcams, it looks like there isn't much snow on Johan Clarey but it does look like it has been bashed.
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

have never heard of property owner contract parking

I'm a renter, not an owner. @Chocksaway is probably the man to enlighten you as to how it works in practice.

edit, Though I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits/returns on the owner's scheme are diminishing. rolling eyes

The owners scheme does allow us to buy discount season parking - this year it’s €385 if you give up 1 high season week, costs well over €400 if you don’t. A few years ago, before grande motte parking mostly disappeared under the new build club med, we parked in golf the whole season for €300 with no requests to give up a peak week.

If people are unhappy about how much parking is costing alongside the difficulty of getting a space, please feel free to blame whoever decided to sell off half the parking at motte to club med - club med are also directly increasing the amount of people in the resort therefore feeding the beast that is the demand for parking hence one of the reasons why free spaces has disappeared - literally couldn’t make it up!
snow report
@Extremophile, wondering - under the owner/proprietaire scheme, if you rent out your flat to a holidaymaker, can you let them park in the space you have bought for the season?

Reason I ask is that the rate you quote is a little more than what I paid as a "resident" BUT my space is personal to me and specific to my car only.
ski holidays
bobski62 wrote:
@Extremophile, wondering - under the owner/proprietaire scheme, if you rent out your flat to a holidaymaker, can you let them park in the space you have bought for the season?

Reason I ask is that the rate you quote is a little more than what I paid as a "resident" BUT my space is personal to me and specific to my car only.

If, at the point of booking my space, I fill in the section that allows up to 3 cars (I think 3 cars) to use the space either for spouse, parents or children etc when My car isn’t there then yes, but I don’t think I can let a random holiday maker use it even if I have their car reg and deets… but as I say… I don’t think.

We’ve never bothered about sharing the space with family as it’s just me and Mr E, no kids, my brother flies out, and parents hate the cold so have zero interest.
ski holidays
Quote:
STGM do have a scheme where season pass holders get free drinks. It works like this: as you are here for the whole winter, you'll be riding the lifts lots and lots. Inevitably one of them will break down for an extended period at which point STGM will hand out free drinks vouchers. If you find you are particularly thirsty then Brev bubble should be your lift of choice...
Great stuff @bobski62 - that's brightened my day on the long drive back to the Amsterdam ferry Laughing
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Though I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits/returns on the owner's scheme are diminishing
Speaking of benefits, I see the mainly-US Epic Pass (which is cheaper than an Espace Killy season pass) gets you 20% off accommodation and food and drink in mountain restaurants and a 3 Vallees pass gets you x6 free ski days in some Colorado resorts. Am I right in thinking that there are no benefits whatsoever associated with our first ever Tignes season pass? Not so much as a free cafe au lait or tacky buff? Laughing

As 3 Valleys season pass holders, in addition to 6 days free skiing in Vail resorts, we also get free skiing in Japan, Chile and Australia.

Mind those "freebies" cost us nearly €500 more than you are paying for your Tignes season passes. We paid €1464 each for our season passes yesterday in Val Thorens rolling eyes .
snow report
@Noob921,
2100? Where exactly do you mean rugby n Tignes by that?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy