Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
welshflyer wrote:
Tomorrow is the 2nd of April Very Happy

What a ripper of an am in the end eh!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite the day, we've not had a thunderstorm yet (they may well arrive as they are being reported at the airports - or the atmosphere may run out of umph as the heat of the day drops off). After a bit of DIY and coffee there was a sunny break which lasted half an hour, so I decide to don kit and go out. Pretty much a white out with all sorts of conditions if you could see them. I tried down to Boisses but the snow down there was quite heavy and the slopes I was prepared to go on weren't steep enough. Having almost given up I decided on one last palafour before lunch and then the sun came out. By chance I met another couple of off pisters I know, so as I group of 3 we did a couple of runs through the palafour avalanche barriers, deep snow, steep enough and relatively light new snow, an unexpected treat. By the end of the second lap you could barely see across the road for the thick snow. So lunch it was. There have been a few more breaks, just a case of waiting for them if you were still out there.

The outlook for the next few days is colder, so the pistes are still going to be great, even if you have been stuck in queues at Dover. Rhe weather still looks variable and unpredictable, so we'll give it ago. More light snow on and off through tonight. Tomorrow morning should be sunny periods and then light snow showers in the afternoon. However, it may be cloudy all day. Monday looks better. After a cold night for April it should be sunny spells all day with clouds moving about. The models are treating that low I spoke about differently, so the end of the day may be cloudy or it may stop sunny. Tuesday looks like being another day of sunny periods followed by dull ones. Wednesday - mmm.

For those travelling tomorrow, the traffic will be light, you may need chains around the villages and for the first mile depending on how much snow we have tonight. Air travel no snags!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big sun, big snow, big skis, big smiles!

A sunny start to the day and it was quite chilly at 9 as I set off. A couple of laps of the Palafour pimple before the rest got out of bed and life got a bit more adventurous! It soon became clear that tracks from yesterday had softened yesterday afternoon and frozen overnight, so we were looking for untouched snow preferably out of the sun. Luckily, there was lots as we concentrated on the stuff above Val Claret and Palet. Even through the afternoon after a Corner Cafe Sausage Roll we were still finding them! The sky started to cloud over about 3 by which time it was warm. I suspect there may be a few more freshies tomorrow, but only very high and untracked.

The Inaugural British Authors Book Festival will be held tomorrow in the Maison in Lac, sounds grand but from little acorns etc! 3 local authors will be selling their books from tales of Marmottes for the kids, through Tess' inspirational books to off piste guides by Simon P and others. Do pop and along and support them if you are able.

The cloud may thicken enough tonight to give a few light showers, then again it might not! After a cold (for April) night tomorrow will be nice, mainly sun and a few fluffy clouds. Later in the evening there may be snow showers as an odd little trough of low pressure develops, it might get this far north and west. Tuesday looks essentially nice, the models are arguing about how much cloud, but not enough to spoil the day. Again Wednesday looks fine, with maybe a few showers into the evening. Thursday is currently a day where it will get daylight, as to what weather awaits we will have to wait!.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies for jumping on this thread to ask a non weather question but my question doesn't feel big enough for an entire thread.

We are in Tignes right now but I really want to go on the up and down Lessieres lift. I'm hoping it's doable to go there and back in a day? My question is how to get down from Bellevard into Val. Santons was closed today and I'm not sure my husband will appreciate me taking him down la Face. Am I right in thinking the top of the Face is pretty straight forward and we can jump onto Joseray and avoid the bottom of it that I believe is the steepest?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You have many options @SatsumasRock. Definitely doable within the day; I took sis on it last year coming from Tignes and she only skis blues and greens and always in a snowplough.

Joseray does indeed miss a few of the steeper parts of La Face, but in the main you still end up having to do most of an equivalent pitch.

Santons may open for you; it depends to a great degree whether the snow on the steep sides above falls off into the valley. Once that's happened the pisteurs can open it.

You can simply download on the Olympic bubble from the top of Bellevarde. Please don't regard this as some kind of opting out - there is sound logic behind this lift being able to take folk both up and down.

You could ski down various beautiful runs to La Daille then hop on the free bus by the Rosee Blanche and jump off after it goes through the tunnel (that was the sis option). You could stay on the bus to Fornet or Laissinant and aim for the Up-and-Over from the opposite direction - which I think is the spicier way for a thrill.

If you do go for the sis option, we finished by taking the blues to Signal cafe and then downloaded on the Fornet cable-car, bus to La Daille and home two lifts later.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-04-23 21:02; edited 9 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SatsumasRock, you could always get the Olympique lift down from Bellevarde. Easily doable in a day too!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SatsumasRock wrote:
Apologies for jumping on this thread to ask a non weather question but my question doesn't feel big enough for an entire thread.

We are in Tignes right now but I really want to go on the up and down Lessieres lift. I'm hoping it's doable to go there and back in a day? My question is how to get down from Bellevard into Val. Santons was closed today and I'm not sure my husband will appreciate me taking him down la Face. Am I right in thinking the top of the Face is pretty straight forward and we can jump onto Joseray and avoid the bottom of it that I believe is the steepest?

I'm not convinced that Santons is actually much easier than la Face. I did the top of the Face and then onto Joseray a couple of times in mid March. Joseray is the equivalent pitch to the Face but might have fewer moguls. Personally, I'd probably opt for taking the Olympic down if you think he might not appreciate the Face. Also, I'm not sure how well you know the area, but Piste M down from Solaise can also be fairly hellish from mid afternoon, so I'd also consider taking the Solaise back down.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Easy to get there and back in a day. Could get there and back a few times in a day if you wanted. It's 4 chairs to get from Tignes to Leissiers. 3 chairs to get back. Skip the downloads and buses. You're there to ski!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for that! Going to give it a go on Wednesday - usually we are time restricted to how far we can go from our base because the kids are in ski school. This year though they point blank refused to do ski school so we threw money at the problem (because, selfishly, I want them to keep loving skiing) and they're having a couple of private lessons instead. Seeing them ski this year though I think it's me that could do with lessons! - at 10 and 12 they are pretty much better than me already. Which I'm obviously super proud of but also a tiny bit sad I've been overtaken!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like being one of the best weeks of the season, cold overnight temperatures, sunshine during the day and quiet pistes Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SatsumasRock wrote:
Thank you all for that! Going to give it a go on Wednesday - usually we are time restricted to how far we can go from our base because the kids are in ski school. This year though they point blank refused to do ski school so we threw money at the problem (because, selfishly, I want them to keep loving skiing) and they're having a couple of private lessons instead. Seeing them ski this year though I think it's me that could do with lessons! - at 10 and 12 they are pretty much better than me already. Which I'm obviously super proud of but also a tiny bit sad I've been overtaken!!

Just a heads up re slopes being quiet etc... They'll be reasonably yes BUT there is likely to be a pinch point mid am's especially for the Marmottes lift. Depending on your route towards Val you might actually find it quicker and easier (and more scenic) going the Borsat then Fontaine Froid lift route before downloading on the Olympic lift and onwards.

I think the 'just ski it anyway' approach puts you and others in line to not only knackered yourself out for the trip there and back but either way increasing chances of hurting yourself or others. It's no surprise (as an example) that many injuries happen in the last hours of the day etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SatsumasRock, No need to apologise, ask any questions you like, we do restaurants, bootfitters, bars, parking, lift passes - the lot on here. Doing the up and over is a must - both ways in fact. IMHO the most impressive way is back from Fornet to the Solaise. Face can be fine, but at this time of year, it can be very hard, or very soft or perfect. Same on the return down the Solaise. I often take the gondolas, depending on who I am with and what time of week it is. The "Friday Face" crowd can be a menace - ignore the willy waving!

Really quite cold this morning and despite the strong sun there was a chill in the air till after lunch Early doors the going was good to firm, softening as the sun went round. Through the morning a thin layer of cloud drifted up the valley and the sky is now overcast. We had a day on piste round the Solaise. As expected, there were very few people off piste, yesterdays warmth and the overnight freeze led to a massive change in conditions. Some whopping avalanches either side of the Cugnai Chair (I think the pisteurs had been heli-bombing). The main risk now is heat triggered avalanches below rocks warming up in the sun, any off piste should be a morning activity really. As its school hols there are lots of snakes of school kids, the nursery and intermediate slopes are really quite busy. Away from those, theres hardly anybody about.

Tomorrow looks like being a repeat of today, although the trough to the south keeps moving about, so nothing is deinite. Sunny early and then clouds building up, and I can't rule out the odd light shower. Wednesday will be similar, but with cloud from the off. Thursday should see a sunny start with more clouds in the afternoon. All change on Friday, probably, with light snow showers down to The Dam and the odd sunny spell. Confidence in the forecast from Friday is not high!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saw my first marmottes of the season today on palfour. Must be getting warmer
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a matter of interest have they ever open the Leisse chair on the Grand Motte this year? I know there's been discussion in past years on the run out at the bottom to the chair being too much of a challenge with the receding glacier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stevew, No, there are rumours flashing round about its removal. Though with all the recent snow (there's 20 years record depths up there) maybe they will have a rethink. Too late for this season I think.
ski holidays
Is the path across the lake still open at the moment? And likely to be through next week?
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@stevew, No, there are rumours flashing round about its removal. Though with all the recent snow (there's 20 years record depths up there) maybe they will have a rethink. Too late for this season I think.

Shame if it does go it used to be a good run from the top of the GM to the bottom of the chair and then loop, better than the run around you have to do now. Having said that the last few times I've been to Tignes is for PSB's when it hasn't been open. Last time I would have done that lift would have been 2014 Shocked
snow conditions
larkim wrote:
Is the path across the lake still open at the moment? And likely to be through next week?

Still open at the moment. Overnight temperatures are low this week so will probably still be open next week but it's decided daily
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
We had a day on piste round the Solaise. As expected, there were very few people off piste, yesterdays warmth and the overnight freeze led to a massive change in conditions. Some whopping avalanches either side of the Cugnai Chair (I think the pisteurs had been heli-bombing). The main risk now is heat triggered avalanches below rocks warming up in the sun, any off piste should be a morning activity really. As its school hols there are lots of snakes of school kids, the nursery and intermediate slopes are really quite busy. Away from those, theres hardly anybody about.

Must have been in the same area today! Yes they heli bombed lookers left of Cugnai this am early! Other side was hand charge yesterday.
ski holidays
The 3000 drag opened today.... talking of lifts coming out of retirement!!!! Unpisted powder paradise (it'll be mogul central by tomorrow - haha!)
latest report
Quote:

As a matter of interest have they ever open the Leisse chair on the Grand Motte this year?

I chatted to "Pink Hat Lady" a couple of weeks ago. She was the liftie usually running Leisse last year but I bumped into her on Vanoise. I asked if Leisse would open this season and she said no. When I enquired if it was through lack of snow she replied no, not at, it was lack of staff.
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Shame if it does go it used to be a good run from the top of the GM to the bottom of the chair and then loop, better than the run around you have to do now. Having said that the last few times I've been to Tignes is for PSB's when it hasn't been open. Last time I would have done that lift would have been 2014 Shocked

That was another issue at the start of the season, not enough snow to fill the crevasses on that route. As one old sage told me, never ski from the top of the Cable Car to Leisse until the New Year, especially across the crown as that is where the crevasses are the widest.
snow report
@Steve Angus it was open when I was out there couple of weeks ago . There was even a track prepared on the other side of the up and over for those brave enough to try the tunnel
latest report
Just remembered the the top of 3000 is on the Lessieres webcam, it doesn't look busy. I think I've only ever done it once or twice and it was a bit like @welshflyer's experience on the other thread.

https://valdisere.roundshot.com/crete-des-lessieres/#/
ski holidays
Another bright and cold sunny morning. The pistes were very firm this morning, lots of kids sliding in all directions on the pistes close to the villages. The cloud built up slower than yesterday but the weather associated with that trough has ctually reached us and there is currently a few flocons going past the window. I teamed up with another snowHead today for a run round the pistes, we opted to stay as high as possible and the snow aloft was in very good condition. There was't even much of a queue for the Cable car snowHead . We also had a dive up the Col de Ves where there was some chalky but tracked snow which was a pleasant surprise, just the north west aspects.

I then returned to clean a fridge - the joys of the end of the season!

The skies should clear in a couple of hours, we may even see some brief sunny spells. After a very cold night, we should have a sunny morning with firm pistes, a few clouds will build in the afternoon again. After an even colder night, Thursday will be a day of sunny spells, with perhaps a little more cloud. Friday morning looks nice but it will soon cloud over and we should get about 6 hours of light snow showers, if there's more than 5cm of snow it would be a surprise. Saturday looks really noce for a transfer day.

The illiwap app has just pinged, seemingly after a rock fall onto the road between the Dam and The Dechetterie the other day thet are doing some work to secure the slope so there will be short periods of road closures until Friday. It asks that you allow an extra 15 mins to get to Bourg.
snow report
vipul wrote:
@Steve Angus it was open when I was out there couple of weeks ago . There was even a track prepared on the other side of the up and over for those brave enough to try the tunnel

From Radio Val today:

"Le téléski des 3000, la dernière remontée mécanique du domaine de Val d'Isère encore fermée a pu ouvrir ce lundi 3 avril, pour la première fois de l'hiver. "

I think they TRIED to open it a couple of weeks ago but couldnt. If you saw anyone on it then it would have been the lifties going up to prepare it.

The track on the other side is always being put in and is put in so they can get pisteurs more easily up to the pylons if they needed to do a static line evac at any time.... on the solaise side they could get a skidoo up if necessary but with more vertical on the other side etc they need that track to access the upper parts.... that path used to partly be the route down from the tunnel!
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
I teamed up with another snowHead today for a run round the pistes, we opted to stay as high as possible and the snow aloft was in very good condition. There was't even much of a queue for the Cable car snowHead . We also had a dive up the Col de Ves where there was some chalky but tracked snow which was a pleasant surprise, just the north west aspects.

Good fun Very Happy
ski holidays
Just been told by EV2 that our booking for lessons starting in VC have to be started down in Le Lac instead. How much time should we budget for the shuttle to get down from the bus stop "Les plattieres" near the roundabout at VC down to the Toviere stop down in Le Lac on a morning?

First morning we'll definitely need to do it that way around, if we get cocky later in the week we might risk Tufs to Toviere top and then ski down Crocus / Johan Clarey as a more fun alternative; if we're on the first chairs up we should make that, and ability isn't an issue for getting down there.

Bit annoying especially Easter week when I presumed all classes would be pretty much full up as it means some of our party will start lessons up in VC and some down in Le Lac, but the shuttle is pretty good I seem to recall.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@larkim,
What time do your lessons start? The buses are frequent, but can be busy 1st thing as people get to their jump off points. Consider going a little earlier than would be indicated by the bus timetable & get a couple of runs in out of le Lac.
snow conditions
9:30 start, so it's not a desparate rush. We're the sort of family that try to get there for lifts opening if possible anyway so 8:30 at the busstop wouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing transfers down from VC to Le Lac would be generally quieter than coming back up at lunch or the end of the day anyway, though I suppose if other groups / families are in the same boat as us then perhaps they will be busy.

I'm not one for trying to cut things fine though!
snow report
@larkim, Get the Zenbus App for the free buses. I would think it should only take 6 or 7 minutes on the bus. A couple of suggestions. You could get off the bus at Tignespace and walk to the snow front from there. This could route you past the Sherpa and Croissanterie if you wished to pick up a sandwich/pastry/coffee.

If the buses are arriving at Plattieres full, cross the road and catch the bus towards Grand Motte and just stay on at the terminus.

Your lesson issues could be a result of Club Med in VC requiring so many ESF Instructors to teach their clients.
latest report
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/boweuTbFiT9fpTBy5[/img]

I can't be the only person to whom Google Translate has automatically translated the French weather pages and in particular the half-pipe snow situation quite so badly?

Or is this a new resort feature that I was previously unaware of?
ski holidays
[url=https://photos.app.goo.gl/boweuTbFiT9fpTBy5][/url]

Maybe the google photos link doesn't work?
latest report
@larkim, You have to have that advantage added to you lift pass wink
latest report
Aha, that's where I've been going wrong on previous visits! Laughing
snow conditions
Today was a repeat of yesterday weatherwise. If anything it was colder, but sunny to start, clouds building and a few flocons now. If you were out of the strong sun, it was more like early Feb temperature wise. Tomorrow will be a litttle cooler. A team of us set off for Le Fornet, playing dodge the racing courses in Val. Luckily there was no breeze on Pissailas as it was chuffing cold. The snow however was in fab condition on the pistes, the vast majority of the off piste is lumpy and hard - no signs really of a transition to spring snow which is a shame.

Although the avalanche risk is 2 at the moment above 2300m we saw a classic spring avalanche about 1445 on Grappillon des Merles, we were watching a group of tourers on the ridge as we went up Grand Huit, by the time we had skied down to Aggy P, there was a substantial avalanche that had obliterated their skinning track. Shocked

Tonight will be colder than last night when these clouds lift and vanish. There will be some sun in the morning, but a veil of cloud will soon develop and thicken for the afternoon, without the direct sunlight and the stiff breeze it is going to feel like winter! Friday won't be as cold but will start overcast with light snow showers, there may be the odd sunny spell in the afternoon. There wont be a great deal of snow to be sure. Saturday looks like being sunny and quite warm but still not April temps. Sunday will be similar with a bit more bubbly cloud on the peaks. The outlook beyond that is really uncertain, for instance the American based model is giving heavy precipitation on Tuesday, the European one a bluebird day.

Strike tomorrow, so maybe a few lifts will be shut, the bus services will be less frequent and will finish at 10pm in the village and 8pm down to Boisses.
snow report
Its been a magic week. Pistes are great and unlike most April's better in the afternoon than first thing. Blessed by the snow and sun gods.
snow report
A few lifts shut, Grand Huit and Paquis is a bit of a nuisance, Combe Folle and Chardonnet drags not so much. Col de Ves is shut for some of the staff to do rescue exams.

But Leisses has appeared on the board, with an opening soon banner - a pleasant surprise.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
A few lifts shut, Grand Huit and Paquis is a bit of a nuisance, Combe Folle and Chardonnet drags not so much. Col de Ves is shut for some of the staff to do rescue exams.

But Leisses has appeared on the board, with an opening soon banner - a pleasant surprise.

Leisses Very Happy Chardonnet Sad
snow conditions
Another bloomin cold start, but with a breeze today, so out came the winter mittens. A rapid run round the pistes today, Palet sector, Grande Motte, La Daille, Solaise, Le Fornet and return. All the pistes are in remarkably good condition if a little firm in places to start with. There was even 3 or 4 cm of fresh snow on the Motte, so some lines were drawn! Even the Laisinant Travesty was ok for poling along after lunch. It clouded over again this afternoon, but no flakes.

The sun may poke its ahead above the Chardonnet before setting and the early part of the night should be clear and cold. It will then cloud over and light snow should start just before the lifts open, there may even be a hint of sunshine around 6am. It will only be. light snow, a couple of inches maybe and there ould well be some sunny spells in the afternoon between other light showers. A nothing kind of day! Saturday will see another cold start but sunny all day with a few clouds building late afternoon. Sunday should be sunny and a little less cold. Monday morning will feel more like spring, as the previous night will be a good few degrees warmer and it will be a warm day under the sun. The computers are still disagreeing on Tuesday's forecast.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy