Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2022/3. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
And just spotted this one too - bookable as single days:

https://www.snocool.com/en/tignes-en/off-piste-guiding/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back to weather, when is it ok to start thinking "oh cŕap, there isn't enough snow!". Madeye-Smiley

I'm booked 12th dec. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.tignes.net/meteo-tignes

It will be interesting to see if this forecast is remotely accurate. +2c in the village this morning. Last week it was in double figures. Scroll through to the 4th Nov.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, did you look into Alpine Experience? Pretty sure they go out with small groups
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski,
They leave from Val at 8.45am. I’m based in Tignes so might be difficult.
Snoworks and Oxygene look good.
Snocool looks to be private only. I think I’d prefer a group.
Also have to book lessons for the four teens on snowboards.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker,
Quote:

Also have to book lessons for the four teens on snowboards

I'd have a look at Evolution 2 or ESF for that. Especially if they're at beginner level. There are other options if you have deep pockets wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, you're correct re. Alpine Experience. They leave on the dot, and get shirty if you're even slightly late (understandably so). They are, however, very good so depending on how keen you are you could drove round there early doors. They finish back at Val around 1ish, fyi.

Failing that, go TDC every time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thecramps wrote:
Back to weather, when is it ok to start thinking "oh cŕap, there isn't enough snow!". Madeye-Smiley

I'm booked 12th dec. Madeye-Smiley

12th December then. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:

Corinne Mayhew has a good rep (caveat I don't snowboard). corinne.mayhew@gmail.com
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have done all of these off-piste groups in Tignes except TDC (never have space). Snoworks sometimes have a few groups depending on numbers which is a bonus. Can be a tad annoying joining a slow group as I did with them in Meribel last season.

I changed from Tignes to Meribel end March as I could not find an off-piste group requiring a singleton in Tignes.

Some people join SKi Club GB specifically to enjoy cheaper guided off piste in Tignes (with New Generation). When I have tried to base my off-piste with them there have not been enough takers to run them, or just a day and I wanted a whole week. Then they get fully booked overnight. It seems they have still not confirmed the service. Glad I did not renew membership.

ESF tend to be cheaper. In retrospect the ££ premium for a Brit instructor is not worth the difference. The french are certainly prettier skiers. They actually carry avalanche kit nowadays too. My opinion.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenzie wrote:
sbooker wrote:

Corinne Mayhew has a good rep (caveat I don't snowboard). corinne.mayhew@gmail.com

Yep Corinne is awesome! I do snowboard…
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GeorgeVII,
Evo 2 will be fine.
@Dr John, TDC don’t have anything that week according to an email I just received.
@Kenzie, Thanks. Will check it out.
@hawkesbaynz, Have you skied with Oxygene?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Conditions allowing, at what point would they need to start making snow to get the resort ready for opening week?
How much time do they need?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They need cold to make snow - that has been the problem up until this point. Lack of precipitation hasn't been a major issue so far this season.

There is a big dump of snow due tonight but snow-forecast indicates that it is due to get warm again week after next. That is the biggest issue.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes I get that the temperatures have to be right. But I was just wondering, assuming conditions are right, and they’ve had a small amount of snowfall, how much time do they need to blow snow for to be ready for the 26th Nov?
ski holidays
Coco wrote:
Yes I get that the temperatures have to be right. But I was just wondering, assuming conditions are right, and they’ve had a small amount of snowfall, how much time do they need to blow snow for to be ready for the 26th Nov?

So you are asking how long it would take to make enough artificial snow to open the entire Espace Killy? Or just Tignes? Or the links between Tignes & Val d'Isere? Or the Grande Motte glacier? Puzzled
ski holidays
@Coco, they will open what they can, when they can, they'll start blowing snow as soon as it is cold enough (-3) with low humidity and low wind. Worst case they'll just have some runs on the glacier open on the 26th IMHO.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
Coco wrote:

So you are asking how long it would take to make enough artificial snow to open the entire Espace Killy? Or just Tignes? Or the links between Tignes & Val d'Isere? Or the Grande Motte glacier? Puzzled

Maybe just enough runs above Val and Lac to have an “acceptable” amount of skiing, linked would be nice but not necessarily down to Val, LaDaille, Brevs etc
snow report
A few years ago (2015 maybe) it was only the Pisaillas and Grande Motte that had enough snow for the opening week and even then the wind was so bad on the Saturday all the lifts were closed.
snow report

This was taken when we arrived on 25 November last year

Then 36hrs later on the Saturday

ski holidays
@Coco, It's pouring with rain in Le Lac tonight and the temperature is about 4c. I reckon that might put the freezing level about half way up the Vanoise lift. Check the webcams tomorrow. Ya never know rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:
Check the webcams tomorrow. Ya never know
Hopefully, Snow-forecast.com does know wink (Freezing level dropping to 1650m through the night tonight.)

Looking forward to seeing the webcams in the morning.

ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@Coco, It's pouring with rain in Le Lac tonight and the temperature is about 4c. I reckon that might put the freezing level about half way up the Vanoise lift. Check the webcams tomorrow. Ya never know rolling eyes rolling eyes

Never in doubt, officially excited!!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
Sadly the snow at VC and Le Lac will have melted by next week as the temps are going to rise again. Grand Motte is getting a good covering though which will last above the freezing level.
latest report
Temperatures are finally starting to fall.

Autumn has arrived late but may be it will be a very short one and we will get winter on time.

At least there is now some snow at 1850m asl. It will probably melt at that level but the prospect of snow is looking better.
snow report
Just had a quick look at the webcams. There's been enough snow at the Panoramic/top of Vanoise lift to allow them a bit of piste basher practice.

Can't be 100% sure as I'm looking at a small screen, but it looks like someone may have bagged first tracks of the winter on Double M. (11am 'ish uk time)

And, on winding the Val Claret webcam clock back to about 10-30am you can see snow cannons running further up Double M. Probably just a test run but it's usually one the first piste's that they try to get a base down.
ski holidays
Snow cannons running on Double M/Val Claret today.
snow conditions
Yes somone has had a go on Double M. You can see them at the bottom now. Hope they used knackered old skis!

I think you will be able to detect if its a test of the cannons if they stop before it warms up. If they run them all night then it will be an attempt to form a base. If latter is case I think it will probably fail in short term.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learned to snowboard in Tignes / Val, used Evo2 for some initial lessons who taught me to S-turn then did a week long course with Oxygen and have used them since for all my lessons as they are fantastic, I would recommend them over Evo2 for a week but Evo are good for 1on1 (I still use Oxygen for 1on1).
ski holidays
Still nice and white at (least for now) in Val Claret Smile

snow conditions
I think it will probably disappear as temps at resort level hovering around 2-4C for the next week. But snowforecast predicts another drop in temp and big dump of snow forecast for the weekend of 12th-14th Nov. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
Snowforecast predicts another drop in temp and big dump of snow forecast for the weekend of 12th-14th Nov
While we can't rely on long range forecasts, Accuweather suggests a cool down in the next seven days, then some snow around the scheduled opening date of 26 November. Hopefully snow making can get underway ahead of that date.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 7-11-22 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just had an email from the Tignes authorities saying the Owners full T/VDI season pass will be €800 plus €145 to be a property owners member. So around £775 each at current rates, which I think is pretty similar to last year.
ski holidays
@Ski lots, Just got the same e mail, odd cos quite a lot of my buddies got it on Friday. A pass last year was 858 and the scheme cost 200 to join. There's also over 200 off the parking if you give up a peak week.
latest report
@chocksaway, thanks. Yes, we have an application in for the car parking (in the Golf), but it is sat in the pending tray until the owners’ scheme opens next Monday. Just hope it is not like getting tickets for Glastonbury - whatever that is.
snow report
What's the parking height like in Lac 2 or Lavachet? I parked in Lavachet in April and remember seeing vans in there, but didn't pay attention too much as I was in a hire car.

We're driving over in our Transit Custom at Christmas, so will need to park up and wanted to check we'll fit in ok.
snow report
Quote:

What's the parking height like in Lac 2 or Lavachet?

@swskier, see page 1 of this thread where I've listed all the car park height restrictions.
ski holidays
Le lavachet has very few places for high vehicles on entrance and exit ramps
Pot luck as they fill quick
snow report
@bobski62, thanks, i've read that before, but forgot about it!

@snowornever, looking at @bobski62, post on page 1, Le Lavachet is my best bet height wise, but as you say, limited spaces, Lac 2 & 3 plus Golf also options, so I should be fine any one of those.
ski holidays
@swskier, Loads of clearance in Lac 3. (below the Maison). Plenty of ambulances park up in there. But I've had my Merc Vito in both Lac3 and Lavachet no problem, but Lavachet can be hellish tight approaching some of the ramps. Plenty of paint-scrape witness marks to prove it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy