Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manaslu avalanche, death of Hilaree Nelson

Poster: A snowHead
Born in Seattle, Hilaree Nelson discovered skiing at an early age in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State. After university, she took a one-way ticket to Chamonix, where she discovered the mountains and stayed for five years. Now at almost 50 years old, Hilaree was considered one of the best mountain skiers of her generation.

To her credit, more than 40 mountaineering or steep skiing expeditions around the world, including the Everest and Lhotse chain in 2012.

Victim of an accident while trying to descend from the "real" summit of Manaslu on Monday, September 26, Hilaree had the experience of steep slope skiing at very high altitude, after descending Cho Oyu (8,201 m) in 2005 and Makalu (8,463 m) in 2015. On September 30 2018, she and her companion Jim Morrison made the first full descent on skis of Lhotse, the fourth peak in the world with its 8,516 m. The duo took a direct corridor called Dream Line (700 m, 45-50°) before spending the night at camp 2 (6,400 m) after 17 hours of effort, and reaching base camp the next day.

http://youtube.com/v/wPXSFVruIHI&feature=emb_imp_woyt
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So sad, the movie you have posted is quite superb. One of my favourites.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What an amazing film.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RIP
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tragic news, especially for her 2 sons.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So sad. I know there are many on here (like me) who follow Cody Townsend’s attempts to do The Fifty. This is the one he did with Hilaree:

http://youtube.com/v/Bl-UU92jzrg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a video of the serac fall that killed a number of climbers on Monday, the same day at Hilaree Nelson's accident

http://youtube.com/v/gmJRDlBAUPA
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adithorp wrote:
Indeed. I calculate they're about 14 and 16. So very hard for them. I always have mixed feelings about parents (of children who are not yet adult) who court danger.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Here is a video of the serac fall that killed a number of climbers on Monday, the same day at Hilaree Nelson's accident

http://youtube.com/v/gmJRDlBAUPA

OMG Shocked

It’s a miracle anyone survived that
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, loved the film about Lhotse, thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hilaree Nelson: Body of famed US climber found on Mt Manaslu in Himalayas
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, +1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m embarrass to admit I haven’t heard of her nor her films until now. I wish I had watched those films before her death rather than after…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually, the children aside, you have to wonder how on earth her partner is going to cope, having already lost his first wife and two children in a plane crash. I wonder if he'll keep on finding solace in the high peaks, having just fished his dead partner out of a crevasse. It's hard to get one's head round such agony.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don’t pretend to understand mountaineers. They take on the danger all the time. But I admire them for what they can achieve.
snow conditions
@davidof, That is one huge serac fall. There is always trepidation travelling beneath seracs, sometimes you simply cant avoid doing so (or if you want to then stay off the mountain). There is a level of risk being in the mountains, sometimes negligible sometimes not but it is one of the things that takes us back time and again. The list of those who have died, especially in the high mountains or greater ranges, is long but there is no shortage of those who still want to go. You always think it will happen to someone else.
snow conditions
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjDSPCWIvnB/

There are no words to describe the love for this woman, my life partner, my lover, my best friend, and my mountain partner.
She has been the beacon of light in my life day in and day out.
On September 26th at 10:42 am we reached the true summit of Manaslu in tough conditions. We quickly transitioned from climbing to skiing in cold and wind with a plan to ski around the corner and regroup with our Sherpa team. I skied first and after a few turns Hilaree followed and started a small avalanche. She was swept off her feet and carried down a narrow snow slope down the south side (opposite from climbing route) of the mountain over 5000’. I did everything I could to locate her but was unable to go down the face as I hoped to find her alive and live my life with her.
I spent the last two days searching from the air in a helicopter.
Today with the help of @capt_surendra an incredibly skilled pilot we were able to land at 22,000 feet and search for her. @nimsdai was instrumental in helping organize the best team and resources possible and I found her body with the aid of @mt.sherpa today at 10:30 am. I’m in Kathmandu with her and her spirit.
My loss is indescribable and I am focused on her children and their steps forward. @hilareenelson is the most inspiring person in life and now her energy will guide our collective souls.
Eh oh! Peace be with us all. Pray for her family and community which is broadly stretched across our planet.
I’m devastated by the loss of her.
latest report
@kitenski, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
... The list of those who have died, especially in the high mountains or greater ranges, is long but there is no shortage of those who still want to go. You always think it will happen to someone else.
My own view on that is a little different. I was involved in three sports where the objective risk of death was high, and we absolutely knew it. We never assumed those statistics didn't apply to us; in fact I think that's why most people eventually give up. One of Joe Simpson's books describes in the introduction the moment when he decided to change his own attitude to those risks.
snow report
phil_w wrote:
One of Joe Simpson's books describes in the introduction the moment when he decided to change his own attitude to those risks.

…and for many of us, that occurred when we decided to have kids.
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
phil_w wrote:
One of Joe Simpson's books describes in the introduction the moment when he decided to change his own attitude to those risks.

That makes sense to me, but I have been shouted down by snowHeads before on this topic and, of course, Hilaree Nelson would have disagreed.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
phil_w wrote:

That makes sense to me, but I have been shouted down by snowHeads before on this topic and, of course, Hilaree Nelson would have disagreed.

Yep shades of the Alison Hargreaves and Shane McConkey stories for me (not that those 2 were the only ones to perish with kids but more stories I am very familiar with). I suspect that most of society has a "nurture" trait which kicks in and starts to put an imperative on survival and providing for kids, those with extreme versions of the achievement/adrenalin trait don't have such a moderating effect from teh survival element - maybe because its a higher peak to adjust from. Mind you it is clearly not limited to action sports, plenty of career high flyers burn out mentally and end up neglecting relationships or otherwise end up not "surviving" for the kids as do others through addiction etc. It's the addiction analogy that is most problematic. Chasing astonishing human achievements is just viewed as more noble than 2 bottles of Hennessy a day.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

It's the addiction analogy that is most problematic. Chasing astonishing human achievements is just viewed as more noble than 2 bottles of Hennessy a day.

Interesting point. I hadn't really looked on this kind of thing as a genuine addiction before. Makes sense.
snow conditions
We've all put the welfare of our families at risk at times, in big ways (spending too much time at the office, sending little kids away to boarding school) or small (nagging about tidiness and leaving toilet seats up, spending too much time on social media, spending too much money on getting roots touched up). If I was to lose a loved parent, or partner, I'd prefer they'd died doing something amazing in a mountain rather than having a heart attack as a result of lolling fatly on a sofa or driving a motorbike too fast round a bend - both activities which create far more orphans and bereaved partners than extreme mountaineering.
ski holidays
@phil_w, perhaps with experience you begin to understand that the "someone else" could well be you next time. I suspect it is an age thing too, at 20 we think we are indestructible, by the time 40 comes along we are not so sure and by 60 we know for certain and want to try to ensure we are still around for 80!
ski holidays
@Hurtle, I'd add that there is a probably a bit of societal everyday sexism in the way we consider e.g. Hargreaves or Nelson vs men who die in a noble but tragic pursuit.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think McConkey was the person I got flamed about before, though not sure without searching. In my mind there is no difference, it's traumatic for a child whichever parent they lose.
ski holidays
@pam w, wow, that's a very long list of whatabouts! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not true that people who "do risky sports" don't understand their risk or think it applies to us - that's an assertion but it's wrong.

I have many dead friends from various sports. They all knew the risks and that they apply to all of us. We take precautions and carry strong drugs precisely because of those risks. Most people will end up knowing the names of people they know who died. It's just insulting to suggest we aren't able to deal with that. It's nonsense. I'll be riding helicopters and snowboards all season, and there's a finite possibility that will be fatal irrespective of what I do.

By all means cower at home marvelling at crazy people who "don't think risk applies to them": most people who ride in or drive cars; tobacco users; people who eat junk food.

I don't buy the "addiction" analogy either. Most addicts I've known were desperately trying to kick the habit, but that's not how it works with so-called "extreme sports". Quitting the most dangerous stuff is quick and easy - read Simpson for an eloquent description. And unlike drugs, alcohol or tobacco, most people (including Simpson) just adjust their risk level. They don't quit completely, and there's no "relapse" concept. The analogy is inappropriate.

pamw wrote:
... If I was to lose a loved parent, or partner, I'd prefer they'd died doing something amazing ...
This. I'd add detail: "doing something risky and amazing in full knowledge of both things".
snow report
BobinCH wrote:

OMG Shocked

It’s a miracle anyone survived that

Just to say that I thought quite a bit before posting that as it seems a bit voyeuristic given that people below died or were injured, and I guess it is. However the scale of the thing is just unbelievable.

I think Hilaree Nelson had a fall higher up the mountain.

I don't know about the risks and kids. Women... mothers seem to be treated unfairly. (as DoM said above)
snow conditions
@phil_w, I think addiction works on multiple levels - not everyone is trying to kick the habit actively and functioning addicts don't necessarily even recognise it. Chasing heli highs probably has at least some of the characteristics no matter how risk aware and accepting you are. When your gig is climbing and skiing the biggest mountains in the world it's hard to dial that back to lesser objectives that don't have the same wow/sponsor pleasing factor. And I don't think people are taking risks just for the paycheck - it is for a passion. After watching Free Solo I fully expected Alex Honnold to be one of the names of the dear departed at some time in the next decade, who knows if having a daughter will change the paradigm there.
latest report
These extreme adventurers are a different breed. Didn’t they do some evaluation of Alex Honnold and conclude his brain was wired differently?

The Canadian guy (who sadly died) from The Alpinist was also quite a character.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
The Canadian guy (who sadly died) from The Alpinist was also quite a character.

As a retired trad climber with some mixed condition alpine experience - the stuff Marc-Andre Leclerc was doing in the Alpinist blew my mind. It actually made me anxious watching it. It was much much more intense and high stakes than Honnold in Free Solo. Alpinist is a powerful film about the inevitability of what comes with high stakes alpinism.
snow report
Got to love those sherpas at the end reeling off all their climbs so that some can do it once.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
adithorp wrote:
Indeed. I calculate they're about 14 and 16. So very hard for them. I always have mixed feelings about parents (of children who are not yet adult) who court danger.

Hypothetically speaking, given Hilaree couldn’t or wouldn’t give up her mountaineering career, should she not have her 2 sons?
snow report
abc wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Hypothetically speaking, given Hilaree couldn’t or wouldn’t give up her mountaineering career, should she not have her 2 sons?

But what an inspiring parent!!! Playing the devils advocate - what about soldiers, absent business(wo)men, even divorcee’s etc. They all put themselves before their children. At 14 and 16 they’ll be pretty well formed. Wonder if the kids of these extreme adventurers typically do well in life or are scarred by the experience?
latest report
I think whataboutery is well justified here - making judgements about other people's family values and choices is a precarious business. I haven't inflicted extreme mountaineering exploits, or a divorce, on my kids (though I they did wave me off with what turned out to be an incompetent skipper to sail from Barbados to what turned out to be the wrong Windard Island) but two of them did go to boarding school when we were working in Fiji and I regret it. We should have taken them with us and put them in whatever school was available locally - they were bright kids, they'd have coped without UK GCSEs. I don't think boarding school is good for kids unless it's an alternative to a horrendous home life. But there is also massive evidence that divorce hits kids of all age quite hard, and we don't generally go round suggesting that divorcees shouldn't have had kids.

As the poet said - they fuck you up, your Mum and Dad.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Hurtle, I'd add that there is a probably a bit of societal everyday sexism in the way we consider e.g. Hargreaves or Nelson vs men who die in a noble but tragic pursuit.

abc wrote:

Good article below on that topic...
Tragic as it is... I wouldn't critisce anyone who live their life to the full / as they thought best.
No one knew the risks more than Hilaree Nelson herself.

In Defense of Adventurous Mothers
The death of Hilaree Nelson highlights a double standard that still exists with mothers in the adventure world
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/in-defense-of-adventurous-mothers/?utm_campaign&utm_content&utm_medium=organic-social&utm_source=Outside%20Magazine-facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ViULBJzm6MBzyFzXSH4Zi3LwM8yg2z2kD7eFH2jDgGDET7PPnBs3XM9g
snow conditions
@pam w,
Quote:

making judgements about other people's family values and choices is a precarious business
I wasn't making a judgment, I deliberately said I had mixed feelings.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
abc wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
adithorp wrote:

But what an inspiring parent!!! Playing the devils advocate - what about soldiers, absent business(wo)men, even divorcee’s etc. They all put themselves before their children. At 14 and 16 they’ll be pretty well formed. Wonder if the kids of these extreme adventurers typically do well in life or are scarred by the experience?

Well there's a good film about Tom Hargreaves. Perished similarly to his mum.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy