Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl or Obertauern in early December?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We’re a family of 4 - kids 12 and 13 years old.
Beginner skiers (have learnt skiing for a few days a couple years ago).

Organising a trip for the second week of December. Based on snow sureness and family vibe, we’ve narrowed our options down to Obergurgl and Obertauern. We’ll be driving from Munich and both are about 3 hours away.

Keen to get recommendations on choosing one versus the other. Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @bvv snowHead

don't fret and wait for snow conditions. There are lots of options
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bvv, as above dont book until the last minute there will be plenty of availability. Second week of December is very early season, even if the resorts are open not all the accommodation will be. Obergurgl might be the better choice though there is little to do in the evenings outside of the hotels. Dont limit your choice to those two areas, it might be you are better off in other places such as Ischgl or one of the glaciers eg Hintertux or Stubai.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bvv, I've been to both and Obergurgl is nicer. We've stayed at 3 different hotels and all were lovely and family friendly. Yes, there's not much to do outside the hotels but with kids I don't expect you'll miss that. It's our go to place in mid December and every time we've been there's been plenty of snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been to Obertuern 2 or 3 times usually just before New year and always found good conditions ..It is a very compact place and there seems plenty to do ..one advantage is it is only ablout 1hour from Salzburg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to both areas in first week of December a couple of times. Both are a safe bet for snow so no real worry. For me Obertauern is a more interesting ski area, slopes are more varied and seem a little more adventurous than Obergurgl. As a ski town I don't thing that either has very much going on in the evening outside of the hotels. As per norm there are a number of other hotels, resturants, bars, although I guess Innsbruck or Salzberg are not far away if you want a day off. Or try one of the smaller local ski areas. The hotels are always friendly, in either resort, but Obertauern is still our favorite of the two.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of the two I prefer Obertauern
I would wait and see how snow conditions are though
Some mentioned Ischgl which has lots of good skiing but I'm not sure it would be the place for beginners. Gultur up the road would be a better bet perhaps?
You need to check how many lifts are open as some will not be started to Christmas week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bob wrote:
For me Obertauern is a more interesting ski area, slopes are more varied and seem a little more adventurous than Obergurgl.

Wouldn't necessarily disagree but they are beginners so I think this wouldn't be a plus for them!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your responses!
Sounds like both are great options.

Great advice to wait before making bookings - how late would you suggest I wait to see snow conditions and make the bookings? A week before the trip? 2 weeks?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a few days before would be ample
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think Obertauern is in any way beyond beginner/early skiers, there are ample easier type slopes. As always Austrian ski schools are really good anyway, we used CSA for our kids, worked really well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also difficult to get lost in Obertauern. Everything circles the resort. Run length a little short, but very good accommodation, nearly all of it pretty much ski in, ski out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for this thread, I am too confused where to head to for Christmas week, my options were Obertauern, Obergurgl, Hintertux and still researching zillertal (both on tyrol and salzburg ) I have two teens 12 (more of a beginner) and 16, we have been to tyrol side (like elmau, alpbach) and salzburg (grossarl, wagrain and salbach) side over the last few years. I noticed that further east there is snow in the village during christmas than it is on tyrol side.

Looking at the current weather and the forecast i am not sure if it will get colder, and the prices in Obertauern has sky rocketed with hardly any apartments, i guess i have left it too late. I know I am looking at the most expensive time of they year but it wasn't this bad in the past, blame it on the gas prices.

Any other suggestions where i can expect snow in the village/valley towards the end of the year between Christmas and new year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pressi, as ever there is a large element of chance here. I am not sure you can say that the more easterly parts of Austria are more snow sure at village level than the westerly ones it varies year to year. Personally I think if you are fixed with Christmas then look at one of the larger places with better snowmaking (Christmas is not that popular with more local skiers, more New Year and February, prices are going up due to energy costs). The issue with the higher places in December is, yes they are more snow sure but they can also be very bleak and unwelcoming. Personally I would look at the Zillertal (though not Hintertux itself given it is pretty remote from the main part of the skiing, perhaps Lanersbach or Finkenberg if you dont fancy Mayrhofen) or Saalbach, both will have skiing at Christmas. I suspect Ischgl & Arlberg might be too expensive but they are good options.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bvv, No there are many better options, especially for beginners. Wait till the snow comes (looks like it is coming next week), watch temperatures and pick a nice resort, preferably a bit lower than Obergurgl/tauern
snow conditions
Thanks, I have never tried high resort in Dec, on what context you mean the high resorts can be unwelcoming, u mean as hard /steep routes for beginners or too much crowd.

Lanersbach or Finkenberg, sounds nice but from past experience at Grossarl we stick to Grossarl side since my younger one was just off her lessons and doing on here own the first time the slopes, guess it must been a little busy by around 10 am there were lumps of snow make it miserable for my little one, that's what worries me with small resorts if there is crowd it quickly get lumpy.

I have been Saalbach last year, it was really busy just around of the end of year and into new year despite covid restrictions. I could go there as one of the last option, wanted to try another resort for a change.

Mayrhofen was one on the back of my mind, since it was part of the Hintertux I didn't mention above. How is Mayrhofen ?
snow conditions
@pressi, December can often be stormy and cold (even if there is not much snow). There are few more unpleasant places to be on skis than on a glacier or bare mountain top during a storm! The state of the pistes is related to various things, temperature, how much snow has fallen, is the slope south facing, how busy it is etc I would doubt the size of the ski area is much of a factor. Christmas is not generally as busy as New Year (which is just about the busiest time of the season). Mayrhofen is a fair sized place and perfectly nice though do bear in mind that there are, in practice, no pistes back to the village you have to get a cable car to & from the place to start.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@pressi, December can often be stormy and cold (even if there is not much snow). There are few more unpleasant places to be on skis than on a glacier or bare mountain top during a storm!

Skied both Obertauern and Obergurgl and prefer Obertaueren as said previously.
Both are great places on good days but not much fun when the wind is up and the visibility poor.
Even places with trees are really not great in a storm.
Will still give it a go if the lifts are running but usually end up wondering why I tried Puzzled
If I was going in December I would still aim for a high resort.
ski holidays
I am looking at ideas for next year on the pre Christmas week 16th Dec - 23rd Dec. Obertauern looks like a good place. Any recommendations on somewhere reasonable value to stay?

What wouls be uttterly ideal would be a 3 bedroom apartment with 1 double and 2 nice small singles.... finding nothing like that even looking at place for 6 only had 2 bedrooms with 4 beds in one of them. Mainly due to oldest daughter sensory processing issues with noise, so sharing a room with her sister causes lots of arguments.
snow report
@NickyJ, I don't think it meets your criteria - but I have been to Obertauern just the once over 20 years ago. I got a good deal to Hotel Marietta, which was very pleasant. https://en.marietta.at/

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/marietta.en-gb.html
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, thankyou, well they have family rooms, with a double and single in a seperate room within the room and they have singles which could work very well. Thanks will look further at them Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 29-12-22 19:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@Old Fartbag, thankyou, well they have family rooms, with a double and single in a seperate room within the room and they have singles which could worm very well. Thanks will look further at them Smile

If you do decide to go there, let me know how you found it. It would be nice to know that it hasn't dropped its standards in the last 2 decades.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy