Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2022/23 Thread + Courchevel Méribel 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@extremerob, thanks for the update. It's not looking good forecast wise, maybe some snowfall over the coming weekend.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seen this in American SkiMag-

"Next winter, North American ski racing fans will get a chance to experience a taste of the European ski racing scene without crossing an ocean. If all goes according to plan, Mont Tremblant in Quebec will join the 2023 alpine World Cup circuit as a new event host for two women's giant slalom races on Dec. 2-3, 2023--the weekend after the popular Killington World Cup in central Vermont."
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes. Lake lousie is no more; a real shame. This is the last year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gryphea, shame, LL always feels like the real season opener, as it's roughly the start of weekly races, where as Solden is a good month before any other races.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryphea wrote:

I wonder why FIS decided to drop Lake Louise, it was pretty snow sure, was the reason financial?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
gryphea wrote:

I wonder why FIS decided to drop Lake Louise, it was pretty snow sure, was the reason financial?

Quote:
In an interview with The Canadian Press, ACA CEO Therese Brisson backed up that there are high expenses to run the six world cup races (three men, three women) in a national park.

“In order to make Lake Louise work, we need the scale of six races, or we have in the past. It has probably the highest costs for snow-making in the world,” Brisson said to The Canadian Press’ Donna Spencer in the Oct. 18 article.

ACA took over operations of the world cups in Banff National Park earlier this year after it had been previously run by Winterstart Events Ltd.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LL was run back to back in tandem with Beaver Creek (Col). So, cost sharing with the races on the West coast over two weeks. Probably less a cost issue, more a 'sop' to the environment lobby.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Update on the PGS in Lech - FIS agreed given the conditions to postpone the final decision on snow-control to tomorrow - it was originally Friday AM. There is hope that overnight snow Friday and today will be enough - though the freezing level generally in the alps remains high, with temperatures set to return to above normal from tomorrow. Let's wait and see - though interesting to see some of the Austrian women travelled Friday night to Levi - read into that what you will.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Parallel events in Lech now cancelled.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boo hiss. That's a real shame.

A different sport but watching the ski jumping this weekend, and I think it's the first time I've seen the out-run left totally green, usually they'd at least cover that in snow. Assume it's the warm temps, they can't keep it on there. Quite odd to watch, though I realise they have a summer series which must all look like that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ElzP, The outrun of the jumping hill will be green dryslope matting, not grass.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
@ElzP, The outrun of the jumping hill will be green dryslope matting, not grass.

Yes, understood, but still green! NehNeh In fact at Wisla it seemed to change from dryslope mat to astroturf - its a short, up hill out, so possibly to slow the jumpers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The warm weather is really causing havoc - this is now 1 of the 8 scheduled races to date having taken place.

Generally speaking though the FL is not dropping below 2000m even at night across big parts of the alps. There is mid-precipitation, then next week is showing possibility for more. But the FL does not really look like it will come down for another 10 days or so. Be interesting to see if this impacts Val D'Isere races as well. Previously cancelled in 2011 and 2018.

Quote:
"The snowfall and the cold temperatures in the last few days gave reason for optimism, but unfortunately the intensity was only short. In addition, a continuous increase in temperature is forecast for the next few days and the race weekend. Under these conditions, the implementation of fair and above all safe World Cup races is not possible," Rupert Steger, ÖSV Division Manager Events

The women's giant slalom, which was canceled at Sölden, will now be made up for on December 27th at Semmering.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Levi given the green light for next weekend.

In desperation I've been searching for streams of the other competitions to no avail
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
russ_e wrote:
In desperation I've been searching for streams of the other competitions to no avail

There has only been one race held so far.
snow report
Sorry I was talking about competitions other than the world cup.
snow conditions
@russ_e, which events you looking for, the indoor SL from Dubai and Oslo?
snow conditions
So good news - Levi got a green light for the races next weekend - they had stored 60,000m3 of snow from last year!
latest report
swskier wrote:
@russ_e, which events you looking for, the indoor SL from Dubai and Oslo?

I've got no idea to be honest, I was just looking at the FIS Event Calendar and saw the junior races where on yesterday but there also seems to be something on Copper Mountain this week too.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-skiing/calendar-results.html
snow conditions
@russ_e, People don't usually video lower level ski competitions.
ski holidays
Take a look on this guy, he is making all the world cup season and posting how he prepare his world cups on youtube!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZq8TP-0qKwKETtTE8RXClw
latest report
Snow Control for lake louise speed events is positive, and Beaver Creek also has good snow cover and there is not expected to be an issue for those races.
snow conditions
Max Franz, Austrian speed skier, out for the season. 2 broken legs in training at Copper
latest report
@holidayloverxx, that sounds Brutal - had a look around for the crash footage and couldn't find any :/ - He had a pretty bad injury a few years back when he went straight through a gate in a race and was knocked-out.

In other news that probably impacts a few people around here - just got an email from Eurosport:

Quote:

Hi,

Eurosport Player is coming to an end so we can focus on improving Eurosport.com and the Eurosport app — your complete hub for live sport, on-demand content and latest news.

Find out how to continue watching the Eurosport content you love below.

Changes to how you access the Eurosport service

From 13 January 2023 Eurosportplayer.com and the Eurosport Player apps will no longer be available.

Your subscription and the same premium content you love will not be affected.

You can continue watching all your favourite sports on all your devices, by signing in at Eurosport.com or via the Eurosport app.

Eurosport has a slightly different look and feel from Eurosport Player. You can also explore the different ways to browse and discover new sport content.

How to continue watching on your devices

On an Apple or Google mobile phone or tablet:

1. Delete the Eurosport Player app.

2. Download the Eurosport app from the Google or Apple app store if you haven’t already.

3. Sign in using your current username and password.

If you watch on an Xbox, Playstation 4, Samsung TV, Android TV or Fire TV, sign in and watch as normal.
snow conditions
Surprised the Eurosport App is being promoted, would have thought it would be Discovery+

Looking forward to the racing this weekend.
ski holidays
Don’t forget there is the women SL this morning

Levi Run 1 : 0900
Levi Run 2: 1000

FIS have given the green light for snow control at Birds of Prey
snow conditions
@extremerob, thanks for the reminder, thats UK time.
latest report
extremerob wrote:
Don’t forget there is the women SL this morning

Levi Run 1 : 0900
Levi Run 2: 1000

2nd run at 12 noon not 10.00
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shame for Charlie, just lost rhythm and caught her ski. Just go again tomorrow.
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
Shame for Charlie, just lost rhythm and caught her ski. Just go again tomorrow.

Huge shame, she was going great, and her split times were looking good to potentially stick her on top after her run and guarantee herself a top 10.
latest report
Unlucky Charlie, nearly got to sit on the leaders chair.
snow conditions
@russ_e, not unlucky...not good enough. Tough message but there you go
ski holidays
Right - I've made an effort to make sure I type the right times down for Sunday:

Run 1: 0915
Run 2: 1215

FIS also gave the green light for snow control at Lake Louise today too Smile
ski holidays
I'm hoping that Discovery Plus have a Black Friday sale next week so that I can watch online. Eurosport coverage on Sky cuts a large part of the first race out
ski holidays
poor old Wendy Holdener, beaten by Shiffrin again
latest report
So close again for Charlie Guest in that first run. Her times on both days have been right up there.

Shiffrin just a machine today, class, and she had to be for that 2nd run after the run Holdener had laid down
snow report
Pressure must have been immense. Well done Shiffrin!

Charlie, keep the faith!!
ski holidays
If Wendy can ever beat Shiffrin I want to see her face, it will be electrified. Hell, I bet Shiffrin would be happy for her! The whole tour, probably.
snow conditions
Quote:

If Wendy can ever beat Shiffrin I want to see her face, it will be electrified. Hell, I bet Shiffrin would be happy for her! The whole tour, probably.

yes, I'm sure everybody on the tour would be happy. But will it ever happen Puzzled
snow report
I find it hard to comprehend how good Shiffrin is !!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy