Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to everybody who gave some advice, we had a brilliant time in Saalbach last week both on the slopes, in the bars and in our hotel
One of our party in his third week skiing had a great time as we moved round from easier blues to harder ones, to purple ones and his first red run, took till day 3 before he stopped saying 'Saalbach, blue run my bottom' but was skiing in control and now is confident and ready to move to the next level next season
I assume the snowfall we received at the start of the week helped the conditions but would say that it is a great resort to develop on unless you are very nervous
We will be back again, lots of areas still to explore and brilliant to be back on skis after a nearly 3 year absence. From my point of view it was a lovely chilled week practising technique whilst exploring a new ski area
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a great couple of days here so far. Although experienced 2a today at the end of the day (having also skied it in the morning) today - it was a good opportunity to practice my skiing in moguls!

Heading to Fieberbrunn tomorrow as we haven't skied there before in either of our two previous visits. Any advice on must do slopes or a place for lunch much appreciated.

Also another recommendation for Hansi for ski hire - very happy with what I've hired. The snapps is also a nice welcome drink!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arrived sunday lunchtime drove down from rotterdam after overnight ferry on friday and stayed in a hotel near the lake just past the innsbruck turn off , a couple of hold ups en route but only minor and filled up with fuel close to saalbach , for info 110 euro in diesel to saalbach total drive time just over 10hours . Skiing wise took up the 3pm free pass but wasnt the best of ideas as the snow conditions made it hard work to get my legs though a couple of rounds in the bergeralm 2 for 1 cured any aches . Today monday over to leogang enjoyed the skiing over there even though the light wasnt brilliant but had very good goulash and fries in the forstofalm for a late lunch before returning and a fun apres time in the hinterhag on the way back to hotel , hinterhag was almost as busy as the pre covid days with a great atmosphere and a mixed crowd . Weve been here several times in the first week of march and ive never seen the lower valley so bare of snow but the pistes are all skiable and the pisteurs deserve a medal on how they have maintained them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TomBH, would highly recommend the Wildalpgatterl or the Hochhörndler Hütte .

Take 121 of the top on to 109, on 121 take the black it’s short and better than the red bit round it. These two runs are pleasant cruise 109 usually isn’t too busy

105 is not really a red , more a blue and nice to cruise down

110 and 108 are good, be mindful of the last lift back on the TirolS II
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

@TomBH, would highly recommend the Wildalpgatterl or the Hochhörndler Hütte”

Yes, two of my favourites. Another big surprise was the excellent goulash soup that I had recently at the Streuboden restaurant (at the mid-station of the Streuboden gondola).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
for anyone out from 18 March it's Dutch Week which means some venues will be restricted, I've made this simple guide for myself, the night clubs Taverne and Castello are also part of the programme, I've included Schwips Bar not that I'm likely to go there (too small and crowded) the club downstairs is also part of the event.

Dutch Week 2018 - 25 March

Panorama Alm
From 12 to 16.30h

Maisalm
From 14 to 20h

Soul House
From 16 to 20h . After 18h we will check the event bracelet on arrival of new guests

Burgi’s
from 15 to 22h!

Schwips Bar
From 16 to 23h

Event details https://dutchweek.nl/en/dutchweek-winter/locations/saalbach-23/#DWSprogram
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@radar, @tatmanstours,

Thanks, both. A great day we luched at the Hochhörndler Hütte. Enjoyed all the runs suggested plus we thought 122 and 123 were nice in the morning - more challenging in the afternoon as the sun and traffic had an impact.

Finished with a beer at Wieseralm before downloading into Hinterglemm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm still saying 'blue my arsche' quite a lot particularly the bernkogel run down to the pub on a sunny slushy afternoon!
Where else should we look for apres, so far loving the off piste bar too much to risk moving on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ollski2.0, would agree with that one, the Hinterhagalm from 4pm classic Austrian apre, Spitbub if you can try and catch Spacey, Burgi’s further up the same road.

No challenging blues to those

We take the gondola down when on the Bernkogel, if it’s after 11am
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ollski2.0, après-ski starts most days for me at the Bergeralm’s happy hour 15.30-16.30. Hinterhag for silliness, if in the mood, after that.
Spacey’s party at Spitzbub on Monday (it’s only on Mondays) was probably the best après-ski event of this season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks fellas whereabouts is hinterhag?, Think we have caught the others at some point
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ollski2.0, right next to the top of the Turm 6-seater, on 152.

If you don't want to ski back there are always taxis hanging around
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ollski2.0, the Hinterhag has always (or since it was built in the 1970s) been Saalbach’s premier après-ski venue.
Since last year the Soul House has been its main challenger.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wasn't massively interested in the guns and roses tribute type thing last night at the soul house, much prefer a cosy packed bar with an acoustic classic sing along or an hour or 2 of mama Lauda, hermes house band type cheese
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
“much prefer a cosy packed bar with an acoustic classic sing along or an hour or 2 of mama Lauda, hermes house band type cheese”
@ollski2.0, that’s a fairly accurate description of the Hinterhag Alm”
latest report
That's on for tomorrow then, tonight is a restful one on the balcony..
snow report
Looks like plans for today thursday will change due to weather. Weve had two good days, tue over to the hochalm area and beyond and a sunny lunch stop . We did download back to saalbach as was getting a bit late and too soft for mrs sff so had a wander round town before ending up in burgis . Yesterday over to leogang and despite the lower alttitude the blues down to the village were in remarkably good condition awe enjoyed a late rib lunch down at the kralleralm before returning just in time for dinner via visit to the bergeralm 2-1 and a less crowded hour or so of singing along and dancing in the hinterhag although most folk in there had changed out of ski boots which probably explained the smaller crowd but still a good atmosphere
latest report
It's not too bad above middle of kohlmais, just about to go over to bernkogel
snow conditions
@ollski2.0, thanks, we are just about to head out now it's stopped raining!
snow report
How are things holding up? The forecast is a bit depressing, looks like rain on and off for lower half of the mountain at least for a few days.
ski holidays
Rowlski wrote:
How are things holding up? The forecast is a bit depressing, looks like rain on and off for lower half of the mountain at least for a few days.

the weather forecast seems more like guesswork ,yesterday was to be rain and cloud most of the day and in the end a bit of drizzle first thing which then turned into a sunny day albeit warm . for a couple of weeks before we got here snow was forecast in three to four days time whenever I looked and hardly happened just moved on a day.
We went to zell for a look see yesterday and came back for late lunch at the hechterhutte sat on the balcony was like being on a summer holiday
snow conditions
@Rowlski, our last day today having arrived on Saturday. I'm generally really impressed with how well the pistes are holding up. Yesterday was warm which meant on some slopes a bit of a slush fest but otherwise given the snow/temperatures this winter I've got no complaints.

It's warm again today so heading out v shortly to grab the best conditions early.
snow report
We're coming in tomorrow and can't wait, snow seems a bit sketchy and forecasts a bit all over the place this week but as long as theres something on piste I know we'll have a great time... thanks to all the folks here over the last months who have kept our anticipation levels high... should land just in time to get to Bobby's Bar for England vs France... roll on the week!!!
ski holidays
Quick one, just skiing over to leogang, what's the connection back from wildenkarkogel to ski back to saalbach?
snow report
From the top of the Asitzkogelbahn, you need to ski down to the mid-station of the Schonleitenbahn and head up to the top. From there you can ski all the way back to Saalbach, you just need to take the roadway opposite the Bergeralm.
ski holidays
@ollski2.0, download the Saalbach app, you can use it to plan routes and have the map off line, there is free wifi in all lift stations
latest report
Good to know for next year thanks
ski holidays
@Rowlski, having started at 8 30am today we skied until 3pm - didn't stop until 2pm for lunch but that's normal for how we like to ski.

No complaints about the snow given the weather- skied the south side until around 11/11 30 and then switched to the North.

Enjoy your trip when it comes!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @TomBH and @ski for fun, very much hoping that conditions don't deteriorate much more, out there 2 weeks tomorrow!

Can't wait but always have that excitement about the upcoming trip, mixed at the moment with fear that conditions based on season so far being less splendid than our normal Easter trips. Have realistic expectations as we normally go around the same time of season but it's been a lean year snow wise!

I'm confident we'll enjoy it whatever but doesn't stop me fretting Very Happy
latest report
[quote="Rowlski"]Thanks @TomBH and @ski for fun, very much hoping that conditions don't deteriorate much more, out there 2 weeks tomorrow!

Can't wait but always have that excitement about the upcoming trip, mixed at the moment with fear that conditions based on season so far being less splendid than our normal Easter trips. Have realistic expectations as we normally go around the same time of season but it's been a lean year snow wise!

I'm confident we'll enjoy it whatever but doesn't stop me fretting Very Happy[/quote

dont panic yet it just needs to get a bit colder, weve skied this week all on piste but have not come across a rock, a bare patch, or hard ice . Other than the oft closed 168 all of the area is open albeit a tad heavy after lunch, the runs are being well prepared so its just a situation that if you are looking for mileage get up early , for balance we where still on the piste in both interpretations at 7pmleaving the apres bar to ski the last bit home having left hotel at 9.45 this morning .
snow conditions
Arriving two weeks today just like @Rowlski, fingers crossed. Wepowder has snow in the forecast for next week. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Spoke to one of the rental guys at Heli’s on Thursday, at he more or less said, that they probably would be renting out MTB’s only in three weeks, unless the situation changes dramatically - This have been the worst week I have had in the area, that I can remember - That said, there is still good skiing to be had in the area.
snow report
We left at 0530 this morning and it didn't stop snowing until we got back to Salzburg
snow conditions
@ollski2.0, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
That's what we like to hear @ollski2.0! Very Happy Very Happy Hopefully a decent journey for you.

Looked crazy warm for 2 days after this then the forecast looks very promising, fingers crossed

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 11-03-23 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Now back in the UK after some carnage in Salzburg airport this morning where it took 2 hours to check in......

A quick write-up of our trip.

Me and Mrs BH travelled with my parents (non skiers in their late 60s) who wanted to do some mountain walking.

Travelled on TUI flights after BA cancelled our outbound one and other than the less generous hand baggage allowance this was all fine. No idea if the chaos at the airport today was a TUI thing or an airport thing.

Stayed in Hotel Die Sonne just outside Saalbach on an all inclusive basis and this worked great for us as we don't tend to apres hard in the evening - a quiet beer and the spa is more us. I would absolutely recommend the hotel - lovely spa area, nice rooms and the service and food in the restaurant was great. Dad in particular was a fan of the cheese selection!

The all inclusive basis works well for people like us who don't mind missing out on the bars at the bottom of the slope and it was very generous, including most spirits. The hotel offers a taxi service that will take you to lifts in the morning in either Hinterglemm or Saalbach. It will also pick up you and we didn't wait more than 10 minutes either in the morning or afternoon.

Would also recommend the ski guiding they do on a Monday, we had a great time with other guests.

Mum and Dad enjoyed the walking and made use of the sun seeker pass to go up and down gondolas to visit huts and begin walks.

Skiing wise as I've said above given the conditions Saalbach delivered again. We will be back!
snow report
One for the weather watchers, it started snowing last night and it’s still snowing it’s expected to continue until lunchtime, more snow is forecast at 960m for Tuesday and Wednesday
snow report
yesterday so long as we kept below the thick fog the runs where more or less empty(a benefit of changeover day) and we managed a circuit round saalbach ,though we did download to the halfway in hinterglem to miss the fog before venturing over to piste 2 at about 3pm which normally by that time would have been grim but was in good condition and ended up again in a fairly full hinterhag apres .

late start today as early rain and wet snow dampening the enthusiasm but on our way now as it looks to be clearing a bit and can see the top of schatberg and zwolferkogel from our window .
snow conditions
I didn’t go out today, but a Scottish friend, who arrived yesterday, skied over to Leogang. He commented that the pistes were better than when was here in January.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I would agree, we did both runs down to leogang before stopping at the AsitzBräu for a late lunch.
2a was also in excellent condition
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy