Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Hans1979, @Tatmantours makes a good point about change over day and it not being too busy, from memory The Sonnhof doesn't do reservations, if there is a large group get there early or end someone in advance, you have two options self service or table service with the latter they have a lot of large tables.

You can certainly book at the Wiseralm, it's one of our favourite places.

These are other "Hinterglem" restaurants

Genuss 12 is another good restaurant the food is not your typical Austrian , they take reservations and it a small venue.

Xandl Stall is another good one and they take bookings.

Winkler Alm is opposite Genus 12 and is traditional Austrian, they Troller Gostil if good, they are cash only.

Simalalm , they smoke their own meat, I think you can book, but not 100% sure

Towards Saalbach

Wildenkarhütte, self service and table service, you can book their Kaasknocken is good

If 168 is open then the Hecherhütte is a must, great Goulash Soup and their Apple Strudel with vanilla sauce is wonderful

If you go over to Leogang Hendl Fischerei is a must do stop , you should definitely book, roast chicken and a roll doesn't sound much but its so much more than it sounds.

There is also the KrallerAlm in Leogang, Austrian classics as well as some more creative choices, they take reservations

Above Saalbach the Maisalm, eat in the restaurant at the back not in the modern bar at the front, i'm sure they take reservations

There is also Montan Royal modern mountain restaurant and below it the Panorama alm, both take reservations

There are more that I can recommend and I discovered these over the years thanks to Tatamantours
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went in Jan, loved it so much, just booked a long weekend end of March...@tatmanstours, or anybody else in the know, what are the best Salzberg transfer options? Quick google search seem to be staggeringly expensive....is train to Zell Am See or Maishofen then taxi a credible alternative?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dravot, it’s all covered exhaustively earlier in this thread. But in summary:
- the bus from the airport is the cheapest and probably the best if timings workout (see www.oebb.at)
- the train necessitates a short bus shuttle from the airport to the main railway station, and then a bus from Zell am See, or a taxi from Zell or Maishofen (again see www.oebb.at)
- many people prefer the option of booking the shuttle service provided by www.Austria transfer.com or www.gasteintaxi.com
- or there’s the private transfer option with recommended firms like www.salzburgtaxi.eu
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@radar and @tatmanstours thanks a lot ! We have Hendl Fischerei lined up for Friday and will look into the reccomendations @radar gave. Cant wait to hit the slopes and get to know the area! Smile Razz

Not sure I understood how to tag people... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hans1979, tap on the name Toofy Grin

Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hans1979, I forgot to mention the Xandl Stadl is cash only though they do have an ATM, I can highly recommend them for dinner as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tatmanstours wrote:
@Dravot, it’s all covered exhaustively earlier in this thread. But in summary:
- the bus from the airport is the cheapest and probably the best if timings workout (see www.oebb.at)
- the train necessitates a short bus shuttle from the airport to the main railway station, and then a bus from Zell am See, or a taxi from Zell or Maishofen (again see www.oebb.at)
- many people prefer the option of booking the shuttle service provided by www.Austria transfer.com or www.gasteintaxi.com
- or there’s the private transfer option with recommended firms like www.salzburgtaxi.eu

Danke. Hugely helpful!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dravot wrote:
Went in Jan, loved it so much, just booked a long weekend end of March...@tatmanstours, or anybody else in the know, what are the best Salzberg transfer options? Quick google search seem to be staggeringly expensive....is train to Zell Am See or Maishofen then taxi a credible alternative?

Been covered in this thread.
There is 1 bus every few hours.
My experience - we was lucky to get on. Some people could not get on the bus, as there was not enough room for luggage!!! If I did the bus again, then I would walk to the stop before the airport one - if I had lots of time, then I would make my way to the main departure point for that route.

On the return, we took the train as the bus times did not work out (thankfully!). Much easier for luggage space. To/From Maishofen if you can instead of Zell am see, as the bus from Zell to Saalbach stops at Maishofen, which is about 1/2 way between the two!
Also, worse case scenario, a Taxi from Maishofen or Zell is going to be a lot cheaper than a taxi!

.... you do say long weekend, so if you are avoiding the crossover day of Saturday, bus will probably be fine snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How are conditions in Saalbach at the moment please?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
How are conditions in Saalbach at the moment please?
conditions are great, had a little snow over the weekend and it’s got quite a bit colder, clear blue sky today- it’s just before 4pm now and I haven’t come across any spring slush yet. It’s busy this week so The Valley runs are getting a bit bumpy, but that’s due to the number of skiers. Piste crews are doing a great job, even had the snow cannons on at the Schönleiten midstation at lunchtime.
I did a few hours with the Penhab instructors on the floodlit piste in Hinterglemm last night, it was in great condition.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 28-02-23 22:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you access the Goatstall without being on skis?
Agree with Yorksboy that conditions are great but yes the slopes are busy, skiing over lunchtime is much quieter
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
one way to avoid the crowds could be to start on the lifts that open early ,there are a few that open 8.30 however the chances of me being up and ready to go are slim to say the least
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Final stages of packing tommorrow, document and car check before catching the ferry friday night after work , then drive down from rotterdam sat and overnight before arriving sunday morning .Hopefully somewhere below munich last year kufstein in time for a walk round and dinner. Depends on traffic and weather how far we get , in the past weve driven all the way to saalbach but nowadays find easier and cheaper to overnight then get a full day on sunday or if like a year when the ferry was delayed so didnt get as far as usual ( beast from the east) just start at 3 pm . Im currently fixed on the weather forecasts but each one ive looked at is different .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@roguemazza, “ Can you access the Goatstall without being on skis?”

Yes. There’s a path leading up to it from the bottom station of the Reiterkogelbahn. Only about 100 meters.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Via the road (Hasenbachweg, and then the left fork), and into a tunnel through the roller shutter door off to the left side of the road. It brings you into the basement, from where the stairs take you up past the goats to the bar
snow conditions
roguemazza wrote:
Can you access the Goatstall without being on skis?
Agree with Yorksboy that conditions are great but yes the slopes are busy, skiing over lunchtime is much quieter

Yes, there is a road to the right of the building & a tunnel on the left as you are parallel to the building.
snow report
Question for anybody local to the area: Arriving Saturday - Any projections on how busy next week will be ?
snow conditions
ski for fun wrote:
one way to avoid the crowds could be to start on the lifts that open early ,there are a few that open 8.30 however the chances of me being up and ready to go are slim to say the least

Was great in Ellmau in January - the lifts open at 8; I was on the first one every day and the slopes were near enough empty for at least 90mins
latest report
Some of the lifts in Saalbach open at 8.00am, but it’s academic for me as I’m invariably still in dreamland.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
Some of the lifts in Saalbach open at 8.00am, but it’s academic for me as I’m invariably still in dreamland.

Also... you live there! You aren't trying to get the best out of 6 days...(or my 3 days in Ellmau)

Obergurgl.. lifts open at 9am. That's absurd (the only reason I can think is that because there are never queues they think people get enough hours skiing with lifts working from just 9 until 4)
latest report
@tatmanstours, the Kholmais is now opening early LOL
latest report
@buchanan101, yes. I realise that I live in a queueless fantasyland, as I seldom go out before 10.00am. I actually haven’t seen a queue all season. I also try to avoid having lunch at normal lunchtime. Don’t like rush hours and crowds.
snow report
@roguemazza, @buchanan101, lift opening times https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/operating-hours
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@buchanan101, yes. I realise that I live in a queueless fantasyland, as I seldom go out before 10.00am. I actually haven’t seen a queue all season. I also try to avoid having lunch at normal lunchtime. Don’t like rush hours and crowds.

Exactly - I never lunch between 12:00 and 1:30. And you do live in possibly the best ski resort in the world for lifts.
ski holidays
Thanks for the Goatstall directions
Another amazing day, we are skiing till mid afternoon then a late lunch
snow report
DanishRider wrote:
Question for anybody local to the area: Arriving Saturday - Any projections on how busy next week will be ?

A lot quieter than this week as the Nord-Nederlandish Very Happy are all here on their final half-term week. Very Happy
snow conditions
@tatmanstours,

What are thoughts on Hotel Vaya versus Hotel Bauer? The former seems to get mixed reviews but looks very smart.

Also, now getting slightly nervous that last week of march first days of April that the snow may be a bit, erm, slushy. I'm guessing up at 1500+ it will still be pretty decent. Does Soul House, SpitzBub, Off piste and other favourites remain open in early April?
snow conditions
@Dravot, I don’t stay in hotels, but based on hearsay, I would say the Bauer is preferable to the Vaya.
We normally get decent skiing through to early April, but it’s typical spring skiing - get out early, and don’t expect much of the snow in the afternoon.
The bars start winding down in late March, but it’s a nice, relaxed atmosphere, and some of them will still be open. Google “White Pearl Mountain Days”.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
@Dravot, I don’t stay in hotels, but based on hearsay, I would say the Bauer is preferable to the Vaya.
We normally get decent skiing through to early April, but it’s typical spring skiing - get out early, and don’t expect much of the snow in the afternoon.
The bars start winding down in late March, but it’s a nice, relaxed atmosphere, and some of them will still be open. Google “White Pearl Mountain Days”.

thank you
ski holidays
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

A lot quieter than this week as the Nord-Nederlandish Very Happy are all here on their final half-term week. Very Happy

Absolutely fabulous- Thank you!
snow conditions
Same question for zell am see. Arriving at the weekend and wondering how busy it’s going to be? Thanks
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, there is a GB ski club facebook page for zell its very active might be a better place to ask or ask Snowcamp, not many of us go over there on a regular basis, but would imagine it will be similar.
snow report
@Dravot we are staying in the Bauer and it has been great but cannot comment on the Vaya
It’s a great location, short walk to any of the lifts in Saalbach and easy to ski home above the hotel for an easy walk back, about a minute to the supermarket, great food and staff
Only issue is the previous guests in our room took the ski locker key home but we have worked around it and not the hotels fault
snow report
Roguemazza. That’s useful thanks
snow report
Heading out to Zell tomorrow and planning on getting at least a couple of days over in S-H. Possibly tomorrow afternoon for some skiing and apres. Where's best on a Saturday for apres?
snow conditions
@boabski, nothing specific happens on Saturday. Could do worse than do Bergeralm, Hinterhag Alm, Spitzbub, Off-Piste Bar. Not sure if the Soul House does après-ski on a Saturday, but if so you could fit that in before the Off-Piste Bar.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, cheers. Where's the off piste bar?
ski holidays
@boabski, until a few years ago it used to be called “Zum Turm”. It’s in the old tower just next to the church, with entrances at the top and bottom of the steep slope where Schiliftstrasse descends to the village square. Opposite Pizzeria Napoli (formerly Bar Alibi).
snow report
I keep encountering British skiers, who seem a bit clueless about the après-ski opportunities in Saalbach. So here’s a run-down:

Late afternoon/early evening: Bergeralm (happy hour 15.30-16.30)
Maisalm
Hinterhag Alm
Spitzbub/Burgi’s/Bauers Schialm
Soul House
Spacey’s show - every Monday at Spitzbub
Off-Piste Bar

Late evening:
Sunday/Wednesday - Spacey in Ötzi Bar (from 22.00)
Thursday - Spacey in Bergers Sport Hotel (from 21.00)
Bobby’s
Underbar
Off-Piste Bar

For the children:
Castello
Taverne

For solitary souls:
Irish Bar

For locals:
Steiners

I’ve been selective and kept it to Saalbach
ski holidays
Thurneralm also has a happy hour 3-4pm and is more chilled than the Bergeralm and would allow you to get another 30 mins of après on the hill if you were so inclined as it's just around the corner from the Burgeralm!

Spacey is always fun and the Underbar is probably the friendliest bar I've been to in any ski town and always has a great mixed crowd (different nationalities and genders!), so always recommended!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy