Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
So excited to see the remaining Van Kleist appears to be over in the Fieberbrunn direction, given that I’m stuck that side while the link is closed. But on a closer look, they have closed far more than just TirolS, so it's safe for another day.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots closed.
https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/lifts-and-pistes

Enforced rest day or part rest day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's still a lot open, if you know where to go. And when it does open up completely, there will be deep powder in many places
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The snow falling today is very wet. Temps above freezing atm (here in Kirchberg)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went up this late morning. Abandoned after a few hours due to visibility & saving it for tomorrow. All the bars are rammed (no surprise) with people not in full ski attire.
Tomorrow looking good. 40cm on Friday night could make getting back to Salzburg interesting on Saturday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty open today for conditions. Snow was v nice higher up but a bit breezy coming off lifts. Brilliant day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dinsdale, Go for it. We were lucky enough to meet Van Kleist himself last week after finding the Leogang treasure!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Webcams are looking promising for a cracking day tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WASHOUT, Wait until you get to my age Laughing Out of shape or I got long covid Twisted Evil
Leogang link reopening helped, but I just stuck to the up & downs in Saalbach. Other half went for a walk To Voderglemm & tried to get a bus back, but she said they was all delayed & rammed full.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any recommendations for a hut an injured non skier can get to? Prob hinterglemm, she not keen on 3 buses to leogang for chicken
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gored I ain't no spring chicken either, but enjoyed today. Quick bite in Eva alm then early night, hoping to pull myself out for 1st lift.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gored, Genus 12 or Winkleralm (cash only) mid station 12erKogel.

Wiseralm, top of Reiterkogel

All Hinterglem Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, want to avoid koger - went to winkler & found the goulash a struggle for my palate. Will look at reiterkogol options. Plan is to eat & ski to goat, then ski back to saalbach while she walks back. Early finish for a steak dinner Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gored, the food at the Wiseralm is very good,
Edit if you do go there when you get to the top exit left through the lift station, there’s a side door and the restaurant is opposite
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gored, depends which side of the valley in Hinterglemm - on Westgipfel, either Bergstadl at the middle station or the Westgipfelhutte at the summit, both a short walk across a flat piste.

On the other side, there's only really the Wieseralm, as per @radar's suggestion.

With a single bus to Saalbach, Skyrest at the top of Schattberg or the Bärnalm or Luis Alm at the midpoint of Bernkogel are a few meters from the lift stations.
snow report
Quote:

Any recommendations for a hut an injured non skier can get to? Prob hinterglemm, she not keen on 3 buses to leogang for chicken

@Gored, As the ski bus doesn't go through the centre of Hinterglemm, it would actually be easier (than walking to the Reiterkogelbahn) to stay on the bus and get off at Hochalm, then go up the Hochalmbahn and eat at the Sonnhof. She could then get the ski bus as far as Hinterglemm Ost, from where it would be an easy walk along the walking/cycling path beside the river back to Saalbach.
snow report
@Gored, I'm with @tatmanstours, if you are staying in Saalbach stay on the bus and go to the SonnHof , or as @ousekjarr, suggested the Luis Alm or the Montana from the Kholmais
ski holidays
Thanks - she wants an easy walk. Maybe the river is OK. I would prefer to go via bernkogel and make my way across.
Weird trip. All started when she wanted to adjust her bindings. Fell over on her first turn on the first day & ended up in Zell am See. So not much of ski trip for either of us! Bit boring on my own & I lost my enthusiam because of it. Also llimiting to where we can meet / split & meet again without her being on her own for to long. So have done very little exploring & plan for 1 day in each area/circuit quickly went out the window! We both got apple tag’s to track each other, which has been helpful.
ski holidays
? If you bought Apple tags, then you almost certainly have Apple phones to do the tracking, in which case the Find My app does that free...
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
? If you bought Apple tags, then you almost certainly have Apple phones to do the tracking, in which case the Find My app does that free...

Yes I know, but she is not the best with tech! Instead she carries a tracker linked to my account & vice versa. I also have one on my hardware
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B09MWGDGPN?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Cracking day today, loads of fresh tracks and virtually empty runs this afternoon. Multiple stops but the standard of alm/hutte so consistently good I’ve stopped remembering names! Skied knee deep most of the day between the pistes in the kohlmais-wildenkarkogel area, a few face shots and a few spectacular crashes when finding a deep pocket (including a full double-ejection superman just above Maisalm). Up early for first lifts tomorrow, still snowing now!!
Only bummer was paying for a taxi to the night toboggan track at reiterkogelbahn (and dinner reservations at pfefferalm) to find it shut, despite “live-info” app showing it as open. Next trip…..
latest report
might be a slow start tomorrow for avi blasting
latest report
Avi level was showing as 4 on the web site earlier, now 3-4 with a description which as far as I can tell (I'm no expert on technical German) says

Quote:
Heavy snowfall with strong to stormy winds. Wind slab on all exposures. Pay attention to wind signs and dodge wind slab areas! Also suspect entire terraces in route planning.
snow report
Hi, I will be in Zell am See for a week from Feb. 11 with family. Competent offpiste snowboarder/beginner splitboarder (not new on SH btw. Just a new account). Rather than tour alone, keen to meet up with like-minded skitourers/splitboarders for half days. Accommodation will be at the base of areitXpress lift. Lucky with timing given the current snowfalls!
ski holidays
6th January:

ousekjarr wrote:
@kb36, almost certainly, even with the poor few weeks after a reasonable start to the season. The forecast shows 15cm in the next week, and it doesn't take much to make a huge difference to how it looks and more importantly how people feel about it.

Prediction - Saalbach will have more than 1m of snow depth on the mountain and more than 50cm in the valley at some point this season, and the season will end as planned on 10th April, despite there being enough snow to continue.

3rd February:

Part 1 complete - now to wait for the end of season...
ski holidays
Another great day to round off a fantastic week in Saalbach. Kohlmais opened on time and we were still skiing fresh lines when it closed 8hrs later. So much fun in the trees.
Overall Saalbach has really delivered, infrastructure, pistes, mountain huts all excellent. Fresh snow just the icing on an already enjoyable cake. Having 2x under 10s in tow has meant the apres has slightly passed us by but we’ve seen enough to know that it will add to the enjoyment over the many years that we’ll be back! Heartily recommended.
snow report
Arrived at Salzburg, wee bit of a wait for luggage. Checked with Crystal if any space on bus, they said they were full.
Checked with Ighams and they had space €40 euro each and we left airport before our friends on Crystal bus. Happy with 80 euros as opposed to 120 sterling for airport transfer (or whatever one we had checked)Public bus would have been just short of 36 euro for two, but the convenience of getting on a bus and leaving right away is worth it.
ski holidays
Will Saalbach be ok for first week of April skiing this year? Or is Kaprun better - sorry if this is the wrong thread
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OzParent wrote:
Will Saalbach be ok for first week of April skiing this year? Or is Kaprun better - sorry if this is the wrong thread

Both resorts are covered on the same lift pass. IMV good snow is a guarantee on the Kitzsteinhorn mountain at Kaprun. Saalbach would be a gamble. If you’re happy with the possibility of a bit of travelling, you could stay in Saalbach, with the Kitzsteinhorn as a skiing back-up. Staying in Zell (half-way between the two) would be another option.
snow report
Well, the place isnt for everyone. Certainly wont be back for skiing as I know there are not enough cruisy blues cat tracks for my other half.
We are thinking of a summer trip as part of a mountain bike trip through Austria & italy.
Certainly would not recommend the place for anyone who is a beginner, nervous or dont like full downhill slopes.
Saw quite a few banana recoveries & 3 chopper air lifts.
snow report
“Will Saalbach be ok for first week of April skiing this year? Or is Kaprun better - sorry if this is the wrong thread”

@OzParent, impossible to predict what conditions will be like, but early April has in the past been one of my favourite times to ski in Saalbach, with beautiful spring skiing conditions and few people.
The proximity of the glacier, only 25 minutes drive away, provides some reassurance, in case conditions are disappointing.
snow report
“ Certainly would not recommend the place for anyone who is a beginner, nervous or dont like full downhill slopes.”

@Gored, agree that some blues are easier than others, and it certainly helps for a nervous skier, who doesn’t like to be challenged, to know which are the easier runs, and which are borderline reds.

However beginners are well catered for with very easy learning slopes on the Turmwiese and the upper part of the Bernkogel. These are served by fast, modern chairlifts with heated seats and bubble covers (none of the hated T-bars or drag lifts). The standard of instruction is also generally high. And there are some decent mountain restaurants serving the beginners slopes.
ski holidays
Had a great wee ski from 3.30pm, snow was fab, light wasn’t, but hey that means more snow! Didn't do too much as didn’t want to have an accident for about an hour of skiing, took it easy, had a beer in the Maisalm then down to the one at the road with the bad owner singer (can’t remember name) then back dropped skis and went to Eva Alm for a snacky dinner. Back at apartment (btw tatmantours apartment cannot be any nearer to the lift, superb position for lift and also bars) Having a real early night as only had around 2/3 houra sleep last night. Have 9 friends staying in the Bauer hotel, looking forward to a fab week.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
“ Certainly would not recommend the place for anyone who is a beginner, nervous or dont like full downhill slopes.”

@Gored, agree that some blues are easier than others, and it certainly helps for a nervous skier, who doesn’t like to be challenged, to know which are the easier runs, and which are borderline reds.

However beginners are well catered for with very easy learning slopes on the Turmwiese and the upper part of the Bernkogel. These are served by fast, modern chairlifts with heated seats and bubble covers (none of the hated T-bars or drag lifts). The standard of instruction is also generally high. And there are some decent mountain restaurants serving the beginners slopes.

yep, but nothing in between. She would easily cope with 146 to the top of gondola + 147 + turmwiese & probably most slopes that go across the valley, but she is not great on heights and facing long descend downhill will not be enjoyable.

I would not call 3 runs & no easy ski routes back to a village or even a gondola well catered for IMO. Hoping her injury has not knocked her confidence.
snow report
I think once somebody is a bit "spooked" everything becomes difficult and it's hard to regain confidence, especially if the weather/conditions aren't great. Personally I think an hour or so with a good instructor is one of the best ways - but that's not always easy to fix up with no notice.
snow conditions
Quote:

Certainly would not recommend the place for anyone who is a beginner, nervous or dont like full downhill slopes.”

I will be in the area in a few weeks time. My wife is a nervous 3rd week skier in her 50s - What are the more difficult blue runs that we should avoid please?
snow conditions
What are the conditions generally like in Saalbach in 2nd or 3rd weeks of March? I'm not looking for anyone to get their crystal ball out Laughing - just looking for a rough idea of things are generally all open and good to ski?
snow report
@chrisbristol, So much depends upon the weather and snow conditions. Putting aside the skiwegs, the majority of the blue slopes in the resort can be a challenge for better skiers on a bad day. There are of course exceptions and, as long as you don’t mind skiing the same slopes over and over, it’s quite easy to spend the day avoiding the more challenging slopes. The area at the top of the Asitz, and in particular Blue 206 (down to the middle station) springs to mind as not being at all steep and having a pretty constant gradient. There are some other cruisey blues in the vicinity, not forgetting a handful of the best restaurants and huts in the whole Skicircus.
snow report
@Gored, when I said “well catered for”, I was referring to total beginners, who only need a couple of decent practice slopes. The next step up is probably piste 152, which is generally regarded as easy.
Having said all that, I’ve known very unpromising, unathletic beginners, who have managed to progress to doing the entire anti-clockwise circuit of the main valley after a few days. As you know, they start off mastering the snowplough turn, and then with some of them something clicks and they’re off. However others get stuck on a plateau for years, or even decades, and never have lessons to help them progress. Horses for courses, as ever.
snow conditions
“What are the conditions generally like in Saalbach in 2nd or 3rd weeks of March? I'm not looking for anyone to get their crystal ball out Laughing - just looking for a rough idea of things are generally all open and good to ski?”

@sugarmoma666, the middle of March is generally one of my favourite times to ski in Saalbach. Still cold enough (barring unseasonal heat waves), and not too crowded (making for pistes that don’t get too chopped up).
My other favourite times are usually mid-December, mid-January, and early April.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy