Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
The last one has been placed, pic on the Van Kleist Facebook page as
usual. Happy Hunting!

///polymer.bandits.stage
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Saalbach for the first time this half term. Staying in Hinterglemm.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which mountain huts are the best for lunch?

Also my wife is looking for a new ski jacket. We have ordered some online, but there always seem to be issues with fit. Are there any decent ski shops in Hinterglemm?

Overall this thread has been super helpful so far. So thank you to all the contributors.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ski_free, one of my personal favorites is the Panorama Alm in Saalbach.
https://www.panorama-alm.at/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ski_free, there's peoole way better versed than me in the way of mountain huts - I just followed their advice, but for ski jackets, my other half is an awkward size but has found a lot of luck with dope/montec stuff. Might be worth a look and their returns process is pretty simple if it doesn't work out?

If I had to recommend huts, I'm spending a lot of time in 1350 just because they're incredibly friendly. Only had soup and jagertea in there but enjoy it. Went to xandle stadl today, on recommendation of this forum - the run down was lovely and food great! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gow87 wrote:

If I had to recommend huts, I'm spending a lot of time in 1350 just because they're incredibly friendly. Only had soup and jagertea in there but enjoy it. Went to xandle stadl today, on recommendation of this forum - the run down was lovely and food great! Eh oh!

Found it one of the pricier places we stopped in last week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1350 is the one restaurant in the whole area that I tend to avoid.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski_free, if you’d like a copy of my comprehensive guide to the Saalbach ski area, just send me a PM with your email address. It includes a list of all my recommended mountain restaurants.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well in that case, ignore me!

I think we just enjoy the atmosphere and chilling outside - only ever stop for soup or a drink so it's never too pricey. We're also a sucker for a pub-dog.

I'll concede to tatmanstour who has waaaaaaaaaay more knowledge.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
“ I'll concede to tatmanstour who has waaaaaaaaaay more knowledge.”
@Gow87, no, each to his own. The problem with having bad experiences in restaurants is that one tends to avoid them for ever more - and ten years later you’ve almost forgotten why.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've also avoided 1350 since it opened on the basis that 1350 seemed to be the price for a coffee wink

Our favourites are the Wildenkarhutte, Rosswaldhutte, Breitfussalm, Bärnalm, Bergstadl, Westgipfelhutte and PanoramaAlm. Your tastes may differ - we like cosy, relatively quiet places with good food and friendly staff. Usually with table service. Larger places like the Alte Schmiede and Asitz Bräu are OK, but their scale means it can be a little impersonal and there can be delays as well. Likewise the Chicken Man - if you're a big fan of roast chicken then it's a great place, but if you're not then the alternatives are a little limited.

There are few that I'd avoid, the other obvious one being the Walleggalm because of the noise and crowds when they have a performer on. And while the Goaßstall is an interesting apres stop, the food is not generally a highlight.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the feedback folks, very helpful indeed.

@tatmanstours: Thank you, will drop a pm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski_free, I got a new jacket this year from Dope. I’d say im awkward size only 5ft (just) but not skinny, if I was skinny then kids stuff would be fab. The one I got from Dope seems as good a fit as i would get, customer service is great, and easy to return (I ordered two diff sizes).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Our favourites are the Wildenkarhutte, Rosswaldhutte, Breitfussalm, Bärnalm, Bergstadl, Westgipfelhutte and PanoramaAlm.

@ousekjarr, Interestingly I lunch at those particular restaurants either never or hardly ever. My absolute far and away favourite is the sublime Hecherhuette, followed by all six of the Leogang mountain restaurants. And the Pfefferalm, the Wieseralm, the Westernstadl, the Sonnhof, the Winkleralm, the Hintermaisalm, the Pulvermacherschirm, the Hochhoerndlhuette, the Wildalpgatterl, the Fontana, the Bergeralm, and a few others occasionally. And various friends swear by the Reiteralm, the Sonnalm, the Genuss12, the Xandlstadl, the Simalalm, the Montana Royal Alpin Club, the Maisalm, and the Gerstreitalm. Just goes to show what a uniformly high standard there is, and how personal preferences differ.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 28-01-23 23:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly28 wrote:
So annoying, our return flight on the 11th Feb has been moved from around 6pm to just after 3pm. Return bus on public transport worked out pretty good but now not so much Sad
Looking at the sites, it seems our options are an 8am departure on the 680 then 260 from Maishofen which gets us to airport at 10.35am which is pretty early for our flight.

Other option is leave Saalbach at 9.30am on the 680 to Zell am see, then train(?) to
salzburg @ 10.16am with one change and then a bus to airport. Arrival at airport is 12.16pm (flight at 3.15pm)
For those used to the public travel
1)would the latter option be a pain with the various changes?
2) If the bus was late and missed the train, to us it looks like there are other train options a bit later? We are looking at the OBB app.

Did think about getting a taxi to Zell or Maishofen but when you factor in 50 euro for taxi the 17.80 euro for fares we’d be as well paying the 120 euro for a transfer.

All thoughts welcome Smile

Works perfectly- I usually travel with just hand luggage, it might be a pain if you have lots of bags.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, @ousekjarr, so we all agree - the best one is the one you're at when the need for food or drink strikes? Laughing
ski holidays
@Gow87, effectively, yes - if you find one you don't like, don't go back. And explain why on here, and we may avoid it too - or leap to its defence wink
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, agree with you about avoiding the Walleggalm, because of the cacophony, but I was dragged in there once last season, and again a few weeks ago, and both times I was very favourably impressed by the gulasch soup.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, that's the thing - there's somewhere for everyone, so if your idea of fun is drinking 4 litres of Stiegl while listening to the condensed pop career of "stars" like Micaela Schäfer as she jumps up and down in a bikini, the Walleggalm is your place. It's really not mine, but it seems popular.
latest report
I've been to Saalbach a few times over the last 15 years and the only place I recall having lunch is the brewery place.
I am amazed how many people remember where they have had lunch.
I really should pay more attention in future.
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
@tatmanstours, that's the thing - there's somewhere for everyone, so if your idea of fun is drinking 4 litres of Stiegl while listening to the condensed pop career of "stars" like Micaela Schäfer as she jumps up and down in a bikini, the Walleggalm is your place. It's really not mine, but it seems popular.

Will have to give that one a visit
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:

Tbf, i was pretty close to being drawn in last Friday just from the picture they used to advertise her visit Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Jagerbull wrote:
I've been to Saalbach a few times over the last 15 years and the only place I recall having lunch is the brewery place.
I am amazed how many people remember where they have had lunch.
I really should pay more attention in future.

If you use a card like Monzo, it'll show where your transactions were on a map! Makes it fairly easy to keep track
latest report
@Gored, @swskier, shallow doesn't even to begin to describe you wink The picture was indeed eye-catching, and I can only imagine that she's sponsored by Swarovski but she couldn't get more than 50 crystals out of them to make her costume, none of which seemed to be fabric...
latest report
@ousekjarr, i'd like to think of it more as a victim of effective marketing Laughing
latest report
I'm off to Fieberbrunn tomorrow and have been gleaning all the info I can from this thread and @tatmanstours guide.
Does anyone have knowledge of Fieberbrunn specifically, e.g. the best place to hire skis?
I'm also thinking of getting some lessons as it's a few years since I've skied, and was never that good anyway. But will there be group lessons run entirely in English, or am I likely to find them run in German with an instructor who can repeat some bits in English?
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, Have you used the bus then train route to airport? We will have case(s) bags and a ski bag but we’ll be fine with that as long as i guess there won’t be a lot of walking in between.
Also worried if bus was late and we missed the train.
snow conditions
@swskier, thanks for the suggestion. I used Starling for the first time in Serfaus last year. They make the name clear and also have a little map.
My friends and I don't tend to plan where to eat, wherever is close when we get hungry.
latest report
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11684809/Zara-Mike-Tindall-trip-Austrian-Alps-share-boozy-lunch-friends.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gored, you've outed yourself as a Femail Laughing
latest report
Well done to the people who found the first three prizes this week!The last of the Treasure Hunt prizes hasn't been claimed, so is still out there for you to claim next week. Might be a bit more ice on it by now though.:

///polymer.bandits.stage

Pic on the Van Kleist Facebook page as usual.
snow report
@Gilly28, if you’re worried about using public transport (which seems reliable from what I’ve heard), you could get the airport shuttle (www.austriatransfer.com). It runs eight times a day and would cost €120 for two people one way,
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Gilly28, if you’re worried about using public transport (which seems reliable from what I’ve heard), you could get the airport shuttle (www.austriatransfer.com). It runs eight times a day and would cost €120 for two people one way,

Yeah I know, that’s what we are weighing up, doing public both ways will save us around €200 and I quite fancy trying the public transport, just our return flight changed and the public transport option not as good now (as it was)
ski holidays
@Gilly28,

Im getting the bus to the resort & trains back. I think it is 2x trains & a bus back which works best for me!
I could have got bus back, but cuts its tight for time.
snow conditions
I think we managed to end up getting a hire car from the airport for the week for 180.
ski holidays
Gilly28 wrote:
@Yorksboy, Have you used the bus then train route to airport? We will have case(s) bags and a ski bag but we’ll be fine with that as long as i guess there won’t be a lot of walking in between.
Also worried if bus was late and we missed the train.

Hi. I’ve used it both ways, there is minimal walking and it’s been very reliable for me. I use the ÖBB app to plan routes and buy tickets. I try to plan ahead and look at the alternative routes if a connection is missed. It’s always worked out OK for me.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
@Gored, you've outed yourself as a Femail Laughing

I like to mince
I like to eat mince
I am think as mince
ski holidays
@Gored, “think”?
snow report
Trappy conditions today. Viz not the best Exclamation
ski holidays
@ski_free, I totally agree with @tatmanstours, about the Hecherhuette I was asked for rustic/Austrian style mountain restaurants this was my list, I avoided the Montana and the restaurants at the top of Leogan as the might seem too modern though we like them all, and are fans of Genuss 12
"
The restaurant in my list I think fit into the classic Austrian, some might vere towards modern rustic.
Simalalm - Schattberg
Rachkuchl - Schonleiten mid station, simple menu
Wildenkarhutte - top of the Schonleiten, great Kaasknocken
Stockalm - Leogang
Panorama alm - Kholmais
Bergeralm - Magic 6er, cash only
Thuneralm - above Bergeralm, definitely rustic
Reiteralm - Sunliner
Sonnalm- Sunliner
Wieseralm - Reiterkogel
Winkleralm - Kogel 12er cash only, great Tiroler Grostl
Hintermaisalm - Kogel12er cash only
Xandl Stadl - Kogel 12er cash only
Breitfussalm - Kogel 12er
Hochhorndler - Reckmoos
Wildalgatteri - larchfilzkogel
Pfefferalm , oldest mountain restaurant in Saalbach
The Bergeralm and the Xandl Stadl have cash points"

Yes I have eaten in all of them Very Happy
snow conditions
@Gilly28,

Bit of an update.
Bus was full and lucky to get on due to the amount of luggage.
If you arrive early at the airport then I would investigate getting to central bus station and picking the bus up from there!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy