Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Cacciatore wrote:

Correct on where he’s playing these days. A real shame he’s no longer at the Sport Hotel, IMV.

Remember the glorious days when the sport hotel bar looked like this?, This last year the strass in particular appeared to have fallen up its own jacksie.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski wrote:
@chrisbristol, the goaßtahl tends to be quite housey these days

Which is probably why a drunk dutch guy was raving about it the other night in Fast Fürst to us.

Seems as though this week there's a pre Dutch week warm up, ahead of the main event in March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:

Seems as though this week there's a pre Dutch week warm up, ahead of the main event in March.

There's a Dutch week in March? Is that Carnival or something else?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
swskier wrote:

There's a Dutch week in March? Is that Carnival or something else?

https://dutchweek.nl/de/dutchweek-winter/standorte/saalbach-23/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, I dont like Im missing out on anything so I will keep an open mind on this
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This sounds amazing - I've got a beginner boarder with me so probably have no chance of grabbing any but she's up for trying her best to move quickly!!

MajorQ wrote:
I posted on here a while ago about doing a treasure hunt for people when I'm in resort. I've been a bit quiet since, but things are now organised, and I'm flying out tomorrow.

A little background: For those that used to listen to Simon Mayo’s Confessions, some time ago there was a confession from a Major Q (wonder who that was?), about a fictional artist called ‘Van Kleist’. Well, since then, people have been noticing ‘Van Kleist’s’ everywhere, and pre-pandemic there was even a treasure hunt, The Hunt For The Golden FOKERs (Friend Of Kleist, Evocative Recogniser). Six Golden FOKERs were hidden around the country, and by working out a fiendishly clever and complicated clue, they could be found (think a cross between geocaching and Kit Williams Masquerade). It was totally free, no subscriptions, no personal details needed, nothing. Just find it, and it was yours.

So, with that in mind, Van Kleist is setting a new treasure hunt, The Hunt For The Wild FOKERs. If you’re in Saalbach Hinterglemm and the surrounds from 21/01/23, and want to do something different on the slopes, then this could be for you. There are going to be four boxed Van Kleist creations, three Wild FOKERs, and a ‘Custard Cream of Excellence’, but which one will be in which box? There’s not going to be any complicated clues, just a ‘what3words’ reference on here, and a photo of the location on the Van Kleist facebook page. Find it, it’s yours!

The boxes will be attached using reusable zip ties, so when found please take everything with you. Just remember to post that it’s been found (or not, and let other poor souls search in vain, as you sit there in your glory!). Wear your FOKER with pride at apres ski and elsewhere, and you never know, Van Kleist might make a personal appearance!

Happy hunting!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p062v235
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So annoying, our return flight on the 11th Feb has been moved from around 6pm to just after 3pm. Return bus on public transport worked out pretty good but now not so much Sad
Looking at the sites, it seems our options are an 8am departure on the 680 then 260 from Maishofen which gets us to airport at 10.35am which is pretty early for our flight.

Other option is leave Saalbach at 9.30am on the 680 to Zell am see, then train(?) to
salzburg @ 10.16am with one change and then a bus to airport. Arrival at airport is 12.16pm (flight at 3.15pm)
For those used to the public travel
1)would the latter option be a pain with the various changes?
2) If the bus was late and missed the train, to us it looks like there are other train options a bit later? We are looking at the OBB app.

Did think about getting a taxi to Zell or Maishofen but when you factor in 50 euro for taxi the 17.80 euro for fares we’d be as well paying the 120 euro for a transfer.

All thoughts welcome Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gilly28 wrote:

Pay the 120€ for the transfer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, Thanks - wasn't aware of that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
Gilly28 wrote:

Pay the 120€ for the transfer.

Lol you and my husband are in agreement, I just wanted to try out the public transport! Doing it on the way there I guess.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilly28 wrote:

Lol you and my husband are in agreement, I just wanted to try out the public transport! Doing it on the way there I guess.

Best way. That's what we do. On the outbound leg, adventurous public transport is all part of the fun and adds to the excitement

On the way home it's 'Beam me up Scotty, TAXI!!'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best way. That's what we do. On the outbound leg, adventurous public transport is all part of the fun and adds to the excitement

On the way home it's 'Beam me up Scotty, TAXI!!'

@red 27, I’m the opposite, early flight, taxi, in resort early (relatively given +1hour time difference) and hopefully get at least an hour on the slopes as nice little warm up. Can live with public or shared transfer on way home
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ribblevalleyblue, I get that. Each to their own snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatmanstours wrote:
@chrisbristol, the only way to embrace the specific aspect of Austrian culture that is après-ski music is to suspend all expectations and banish all preconceptions of what “modern music” should sound like.
I know people who struggle with this and sit at après-ski parties wearing a pained expression on their faces, whilst others get into the spirit, and even dance on the tables.
For me, traditional Austrian après-ski songs (and there are many) are the best (rather than rehashed classic rock songs). They tend to have strong melodies - ear worms (“ Ohrwürmer”) and sometimes have very defined dance moves.
They also have the ability to get everyone, of all ages and nationalities, animated and grinning from ear to ear, no matter how many times a day they hear them. This is largely how Austrian après-ski has acquired its reputation for being a hundred times better than après-ski in other countries.
Compilations of classic Austrian après-ski songs are easily found online.
By contrast, whenever an Austrian après-ski bar tries to show that it’s “moving with the times”, and replaces its traditional music with a DJ playing that terrible, repetitive, monotonous dross that I understand is called “deep house”, or “trance”, you see a markedly different reaction from those in attendance. They talk amongst themselves, sip their drinks, occasionally sway a little, perhaps tap a foot… but gone is the joy, the celebratory party atmosphere, the singing in unison.
Traditional Austrian après-ski music is a celebration of skiing (and I suppose snowboarding) in Austria. You won’t hear it anywhere else, and it’s what people expect and look forward to when they come to Austria, even if they have a love/hate relationship with certain songs (like “Jonny Däpp”, and “Wie Heisst Die Mutter Von Nikki Lauder”). I’ve been hearing many of the same songs since I first skied in Austria in 1982. To be added to the playlist and earn a place as a “standard”, a song has to be rather special; one example I can think of is “Atemlos Durch Die Nacht” by Helene Fischer.
Now I’ll stand by for the inevitable discussion of Austrian après-ski music.
did you just acknowledge snowboarding lol
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@red 27, absolutely, life would be boring otherwise
snow report
@kb36, I’m mellowing in my old age.
snow report
We had a fantastic trip, many thanks to everyone who contributed intel. We actually really enjoyed Goaßstall, for us it was the best apres session we had, the setting, the views, nutcases sledding down at the end. We spent the first couple of hours inside where unless I'm mistaken the music was more traditional apres cheese? Taverna also hit the spot for the extra big night out, the Dutch were great, very friendly and they certainly know how to party. Conditions were close to perfect for me, knee deep just of the sides almost every day, my skier buddies weren't so happy about the afternoon bumps but hey ho I think they just need to get better. Saalbach now joins the very short list of places we'd happily return to.
snow conditions
What is better, cash or card?
Just noticed one of my travel cards expires mid trip, so need to make sure I have proper arrangements.
snow conditions
There is no "better" - you will most likely need both, as paying for passes and/or kit hire and/or lessons by cash means a large wad of notes and multiple trips to the cash machine due to daily withdrawal limits, or using multiple cards each with charges.

Some alms and bars will be cash only. I carry €100 in cash to cover 2+ days just in case.
snow report
ousekjarr wrote:
There is no "better" - you will most likely need both, as paying for passes and/or kit hire and/or lessons by cash means a large wad of notes and multiple trips to the cash machine due to daily withdrawal limits, or using multiple cards each with charges.

Some alms and bars will be cash only. I carry €100 in cash to cover 2+ days just in case.

Thanks.
Its jus for food & drink really. I dont need lessons or hire & pass is already covered with accommodation booking.
snow report
In that case, everywhere will take cash, and 75% will take cards for payments of > €10 - I'd still have both. Several alms now also have cash machines near the entrance, so those who turn up with only a card can be directed there instead.

It also depends on whether you are eating out in the evenings, or are in a hotel with an evening meal. Prices are noticeably higher this year for everything, and some places seem to be starting into rip off territory, so for example one of the restaurants in Hinterglemm was advertising a cheese and ham toastie at €18 while the cafe bar next door was knocking them out at €8. OK, the restaurant might be adding a side salad and maybe a portion of fries with it, but it didn't say that, and the cafe version also came with salad. One mountain alm was clearly milking the Dutch, as a schnitzel and fries was €14 while a plate of fries on its own was listed at €12...

For years, the price of a coffee or a beer has been around €4.50 or maybe €5 for something unusual or in one of the more expensive places. This year it seems everything is around €6, and soft drink prices have similarly leapt, including skiwasser at €5 - what exactly is it in 490ml of water with 10ml of raspberry cordial that justifies this price? Same with food - a burger and chips was around €12-14, but now ranges from €18-24. They've also moved into "gourmet" territory, which simply means more salad and sauces between the bun halves and maybe a slightly more expensive type of bread, but it's not worth a 50% price increase.

The range of beer available also seems to be decreasing - where previously it was possible to find a dunkel beer in most places, this year it seemed to be Stiegl, Gosser or Zipfer only in almost all places. Covid-related business optimization or impacts, or a change in the clientele? Either way, it was underwhelming to discover yet another place serving only tasteless fizz.

On the flip side, we ate in Der Jennerwein twice, having never been there before as a result of it looking like a wine bar from the outside. Great service, good range of drinks (including Franziskaner dunkel Happy ), and excellent food. Reservations were essential last week, despite it usually being a relatively quiet period, and if you want to be able to talk during dinner then a table upstairs is recommended.
snow report
@ousekjarr, Yes skiwasser has turned into a total wee wee take, I normally had this at lunch to reduce my total alcohol intake over the week but have now moved to shandy to feel less ripped off. wink
latest report
I have never ever encountered a mobile karaoke unit walking the streets of any ski resort before last week, outside Schwips Après-Ski bar.
I've sent it to my son, trying to show him why Austria must be his next ski choice but he was reluctant, being the engineer he is Laughing
Luckily my grandson started dancing to it (2.5 years old) and now I am trying to find the actual apres ski song, because there's a future generation that needs to be initiated NehNeh
Can anyone recognize it?

http://youtube.com/v/3kBtcurtuu0
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, “soft drink prices have similarly leapt, including skiwasser at €5 - what exactly is it in 490ml of water with 10ml of raspberry cordial that justifies this price?”

You’re paying for the waitress’s dirndl or lederhosen

The Bergeralm has been serving me very acceptable Dunkelweissbier at a very unnoticeable price (probably around €3 per half litre at happy hour)
latest report
Just got back from a week in Saalbach (14th - 21st Jan) staying at the residence Kristall near the near the Schattberg express. Was a group of 8, five of which as beginners and needless to say we managed to gain 5 converts to the sport Toofy Grin I thought it might be helpful to write a quick trip report from a first time visitor to Austria (having only skied in France prior, primarily with the UCPA)

First day after arriving it was rather toasty and rained down at the bottom, but from then onwards it was just great piste enjoyment with almost continuous snow top up, natural and machine made. Not masses of sunshine, but that just keeps the snow nice and fresh snowHead .

I much preferred the blues and reds here compared with the carpet motorways I've previously had in France. I even enjoyed the zwolferkogel world cup run on the Thursday despite poor visibility, finding myself in shin deep powder on-piste (what a treat!). Although we managed to skare the beginners unintentionally come Friday by taking them down piste 2 then 2a from the schattberg (the instructor recommended it to us, probably should have taken them for a warm up Embarassed )

The recommendation of Hansi's on here for ski hire was perfect and was very happy with the quality of equipment compared with some of my previous trips.

We all enjoyed the Apres ski, with much light hearted revelry about and the atmosphere of the hinterhag Alm was unlike anything I had seen prior, even if the owners singing leaves a little to be desired.

I think all in all Saalbach lived up to everything me and my group hoped for (despite a couple of unfortunate incidents with sharp ski edges Embarassed ) and I expect we will be returning in Jan 2024! Perhaps even in Chalet Tatman if he's got availablity.
snow conditions
Anyone know how booked up the shared transfer bus gets or if I can book/walk up on the day?
I need a backup option the postbus!
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
Anyone know how booked up the shared transfer bus gets or if I can book/walk up on the day?
I need a backup option the postbus!

While I don’t know if we were just lucky, but last year we never booked anything. When we arrived we tried with Crystal and Inghams if they had anything, which they didn’t (well Inghams did but it wasn't for a few hours), so we just booked up with one of the transfers at the airport (there was a desk just before going out if I recall correctly. On the return we just booked a day or two before.
This year again we haven’t booked anything, we will try on arrival with the tour companies and failing that (or if it isnt cheap) will get the local bus. On way back I think we ate going to decide when there whether to get the local transport or a transfer.
ski holidays
@Gilly28,

We got lots of time for the return journey.
Going out does not leave much wiggle room for public transport.
The shared transfer taxi/bus posted a few pages back would mean a longish wait at the airport if arrival is on time.

Incidentally, how is Salz. this season for arrival? How quick are people getting through immigration, baggage & out of the airport?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gored, we got through Salz airport with luggage in about 20 minutes last week. Very surprised by the speed. This was for a midday arrival.
latest report
Saturday 14th was 3 minutes from entering the terminal building to leaving it, but unfortunately although the baggage signs said that skis would be delivered to the coach park we waited for 15 minutes before discovering that EasyJet flights have them delivered to the baggage hall instead, which meant getting a Crystal rep to open the door and let us back in through the "one way" door despite us being nothing to do with them. January is relatively quiet - February can be manic in both directions.
ski holidays
As promised, the Treasure Hunt has started, with not one, but two prizes put out today. What 3 words directions are on here, pics of placement are on the Van Kleist Facebook page.

///desks.grain.uniquely

///concedes.bubble.agreeing
snow report
@MajorQ, it’s very frustrating when I can see where they are, but I’m suffering from my second dose of man flu this month and don’t dare go skiing for fear of making it worse.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@MajorQ, it’s very frustrating when I can see where they are, but I’m suffering from my second dose of man flu this month and don’t dare go skiing for fear of making it worse.

Don't miss out, get someone to get it for you!
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, if it makes you feel any better, I'm over near the hochalmbahn with a beginner in tow - I know I could nip over and get them but I don't think she'd make it!

Hoping I can sneak off for an hour or two and get one
ski holidays
@MajorQ, desks.grain.uniquely is gone now wink
ski holidays
@Gow87, my sense of frustration at being unable to go out skiing on such a fine day has just been eclipsed by the mental agony of having this unique work of art snaffled from under my nose (as it were)!
snow conditions
And long time lurker @marmot_on_skis has snaffled it from me for his fine art collection.... It will take pride of place next to the framed pictures of Michaela Shafer and The Hof!

We have kept all of the original packaging for the all important valuation on Antiques Roadshow many years from now ...... #artquest
snow report
@tatmanstours, it's worse than that. The loop I've got planned takes me by the next one. Do you want one delivering? Very Happy

Edit: nevermind, I see someone beat me to it!
snow conditions
Update on piste 168. The incomparable Hecherhütte reports that the piste is groomed as far as the Hecherhütte, but not from there down to the valley. The snow is still too thin, but the piste maintenance team are doing everything possible to be prepared for any further snowfall that might enable the piste to be opened.
If it had snow cannons (as it used to have before the environmental lobby protested about water being taken from natural water courses), it would have been open by now.
There is still the possibility of skiing to the Hecherhütte, having an après-ski party and dinner there, and getting a taxi down, either to Viehhofen or back to Saalbach.
The Hecherhütte used to have an arrangement with a local taxi firm, which charged €40 for an 8-seater taxi back to Saalbach. I’m assuming that the special deal still holds, but that the price may now have increased. Probably still worth considering though for a group.
snow report
Well done on finding the first two, the third was placed today. Pic on the Van Kleist Facebook page as before:

///soundtracks.straddle.carnivores
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy