Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Gored,

is it just 1/2 a chicken or does it come with chips? salad? or anything else?

Just 1/2 chicken with a roll (albeit a very nice roll!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, Rich, thinking of popping up from Flachau for a day in Saalbach and a day on the Ski Welt. Might as well use the Superpass while we can. Bloody expensive to stay for one or two nights. Any suggestions?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gored, “ is it just 1/2 a chicken or does it come with chips? salad? or anything else?”

It’s a very plump half-chicken and a bread roll. Such luxuries as butter or a salad can be ordered extra.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gored, they don't have a deep fat fryer, nothing comes with chips, you get a very nice bread roll with it
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers all. Wondered if they done that spit roast like in France where they cook potatoes with the rotisserie chicken.
Will have to give it a miss, as missus cant eat wheat

Found their website https://www.hendl-fischerei.at/en/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I might be able to help, depending on when and numbers. I’ll PM you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is run 168 open at the moment? Arriving Sat 21st Jan and hoping to take my family down it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@garystarling, not yet, it’s snowed all day and still is so you might be lucky, if the snow continues.

We will be watching the online piste map for any updates, we hope to strike lucky
https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/piste-map
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garystarling wrote:
Is run 168 open at the moment? Arriving Sat 21st Jan and hoping to take my family down it.

Still closed
https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/lifts-and-pistes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another snowy picture
View from the Maisalm around 3

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just sampled the ribs at the Soul House. No complaints about either the food or the service. Not very busy, arrived about 7.30pm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I just ask where are the best lockers we can book online are in saalbach?, We are staying a little out of town at Gundi Ripper and none of us.really fancy the walk in boots.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ollski2.0, I have just been checking for a friend coming out later, Brundl by the Kholmais €11 per night, the locker takes 2 pairs of skis, the ski shop at the Schattberg express, Sport 2000 €3 per person per night payable in cash.

Not sure you can book online
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can anyone recommend any mountain huts for good apres music. Ideally looking for something with a DJ playing house/dance music.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
radar wrote:
@ollski2.0, I have just been checking for a friend coming out later, Brundl by the Kholmais €11 per night, the locker takes 2 pairs of skis, the ski shop at the Schattberg express, Sport 2000 €3 per person per night payable in cash.

Not sure you can book online

Thanks, pretty sure I found a 4 person locker to book online in the summer for about 65 quid but now I can't find it again anywhere. I think it probably was brundl but can't book it online any more.
snow report
@radar, that’s interesting about Brundl quoting €11, i have a quote from just before Xmas at €9 for 2 person locker, not sure if discounted if hiring skis from though
ski holidays
@chrisbristol, I can think of several mountain huts that play typical Austrian après-ski music, but your specific request for a DJ playing house music puts me in mind of the Montana Royal Alpin Club. Personally I find it dreadful and enough to drive me away within 10 minutes, whereas I don’t mind any of the other huts and the music they play. Each to his own.
snow report
@tatmanstours, thanks - this is only our second trip to Austria, so not exactly sure what to expect. We didn't really get on with the apres music the last time in Obergurgl. Having only been to French resorts I guess we were expecting something more like La Folie Douce.
latest report
@ollski2.0, Fürstauer is €35 for a week for locker that takes two pairs of skis and boots
snow report
@chrisbristol, another option for you is the Maisalm, which depending on the day is less classic Austrian apre music, or Genus12 definitely no Austrian music

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 20-01-23 8:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
No snowy picture, it was a bit chilly wanted to keep moving

latest report
@radar, there's always time for a snowy picture...

Today on 2b, 0915 - demonstrating the lack of contrast and the looming cloud which covered much of our day

snow report
@ousekjarr, wasn’t far behind you, thought it was great to ski even with the light conditions
latest report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@radar, that’s interesting about Brundl quoting €11, i have a quote from just before Xmas at €9 for 2 person locker, not sure if discounted if hiring skis from though

I popped into the shop last week to ask the price, it might be that if you rent from them they give yiu a discount
snow report
@chrisbristol, the only way to embrace the specific aspect of Austrian culture that is après-ski music is to suspend all expectations and banish all preconceptions of what “modern music” should sound like.
I know people who struggle with this and sit at après-ski parties wearing a pained expression on their faces, whilst others get into the spirit, and even dance on the tables.
For me, traditional Austrian après-ski songs (and there are many) are the best (rather than rehashed classic rock songs). They tend to have strong melodies - ear worms (“ Ohrwürmer”) and sometimes have very defined dance moves.
They also have the ability to get everyone, of all ages and nationalities, animated and grinning from ear to ear, no matter how many times a day they hear them. This is largely how Austrian après-ski has acquired its reputation for being a hundred times better than après-ski in other countries.
Compilations of classic Austrian après-ski songs are easily found online.
By contrast, whenever an Austrian après-ski bar tries to show that it’s “moving with the times”, and replaces its traditional music with a DJ playing that terrible, repetitive, monotonous dross that I understand is called “deep house”, or “trance”, you see a markedly different reaction from those in attendance. They talk amongst themselves, sip their drinks, occasionally sway a little, perhaps tap a foot… but gone is the joy, the celebratory party atmosphere, the singing in unison.
Traditional Austrian après-ski music is a celebration of skiing (and I suppose snowboarding) in Austria. You won’t hear it anywhere else, and it’s what people expect and look forward to when they come to Austria, even if they have a love/hate relationship with certain songs (like “Jonny Däpp”, and “Wie Heisst Die Mutter Von Nikki Lauder”). I’ve been hearing many of the same songs since I first skied in Austria in 1982. To be added to the playlist and earn a place as a “standard”, a song has to be rather special; one example I can think of is “Atemlos Durch Die Nacht” by Helene Fischer.
Now I’ll stand by for the inevitable discussion of Austrian après-ski music.
snow report
I I think our UK equivalent of Austrian apres is bongos bingo!. A ski day is never complete without a bit of Hermes house band for me, or for my old mayrhofen stalwarts an evening of Brian Christopher.
ski holidays
Brian Cristopher was a great listen. Not sure of he plays in Mayrhofen anymore though.
latest report
Corky wrote:
Brian Cristopher was a great listen. Not sure of he plays in Mayrhofen anymore though.

Holland and Portugal only atm I believe, very much missed on the winter scene.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, Agree with all of that. It's the primary reason I do most of my skiing in Austria. Ski hard, party hard.
snow report
@tatmanstours, very well described summary of proper Apres. Personally I love it - the happy vibe it gives off unites people from all nationalities in joyful camaraderie . I think the haters just take music and themselves too seriously.
ski holidays
Has Saalbach got any "on slope" music? I think it was on the Planai when in Schladming area where I first heard some Austrian apres favourites being blasted out on a couple of slopes Very Happy

Clearly aimed at getting you into whichever Alm was at the bottom of the slope. Not everyone's cup of tea but made me smile!
snow conditions
@Rowlski, the way you describe it makes it sound a bit over the top, but in Saalbach you normally hear the music only on reaching or passing a mountain hut. There are exceptions: the Walleggalm (which often has live acts, some of them quite famous) can be heard from a distance away, the Wildenkarhütte often has big speakers outside (on one memorable occasion playing The Blue Danube, whilst numerous skiers waltzed in a blizzard), and the Hinterhag Alm has its après-ski party outside later in the season. And the outside stage and party area of the Soul House is absolutely rocking every day from 4-7pm - but no après-ski music is permitted there, only classic rock.
And when “White Pearl Mountain Days” starts its very cool parties, with top DJs and live musicians, at various mountain huts in late March, that’s quite a different dimension.
The only part of it all that I really dislike is when they have “Dutch Week”, when some mountain huts charge an admission fee to allow you to stand huddled together with hundreds of orange-clad party people, listening to DJs playing the worst (so-called) music at full volume.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 20-01-23 12:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@tatmanstours, yeah don't fancy the sound of Dutch week.

I wasn't clear, but on some slopes on Plannai there are (or were, not been recently) actually speakers on the slope pumping out music. From memory I think that was from top to bottom of the slope. Not seen anywhere else on my travels so far but still many, many areas I haven't got to Smile
ski holidays
I posted on here a while ago about doing a treasure hunt for people when I'm in resort. I've been a bit quiet since, but things are now organised, and I'm flying out tomorrow.

A little background: For those that used to listen to Simon Mayo’s Confessions, some time ago there was a confession from a Major Q (wonder who that was?), about a fictional artist called ‘Van Kleist’. Well, since then, people have been noticing ‘Van Kleist’s’ everywhere, and pre-pandemic there was even a treasure hunt, The Hunt For The Golden FOKERs (Friend Of Kleist, Evocative Recogniser). Six Golden FOKERs were hidden around the country, and by working out a fiendishly clever and complicated clue, they could be found (think a cross between geocaching and Kit Williams Masquerade). It was totally free, no subscriptions, no personal details needed, nothing. Just find it, and it was yours.

So, with that in mind, Van Kleist is setting a new treasure hunt, The Hunt For The Wild FOKERs. If you’re in Saalbach Hinterglemm and the surrounds from 21/01/23, and want to do something different on the slopes, then this could be for you. There are going to be four boxed Van Kleist creations, three Wild FOKERs, and a ‘Custard Cream of Excellence’, but which one will be in which box? There’s not going to be any complicated clues, just a ‘what3words’ reference on here, and a photo of the location on the Van Kleist facebook page. Find it, it’s yours!

The boxes will be attached using reusable zip ties, so when found please take everything with you. Just remember to post that it’s been found (or not, and let other poor souls search in vain, as you sit there in your glory!). Wear your FOKER with pride at apres ski and elsewhere, and you never know, Van Kleist might make a personal appearance!

Happy hunting!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p062v235
latest report
The Almrausch at the top of the Planai bangs out the apres tunes on massive speakers. You can definitely hear their music quite a way down towards Schladming. Especially if the wind is in the right direction.
snow conditions
@chrisbristol, the goaßtahl tends to be quite housey these days
snow report
@tatmanstours, just looked at my apres playlist built up over the last 20 years. 5 hr 34 mins Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ollski2.0 wrote:
Corky wrote:

Holland and Portugal only atm I believe, very much missed on the winter scene.

Correct on where he’s playing these days. A real shame he’s no longer at the Sport Hotel, IMV.
ski holidays
Quote:

the goaßtahl tends to be quite housey these days

@boabski, That's why I and other people of my acquaintance stopped going there years ago. The penultimate time I was there, we waited for about two hours for them to play some proper, traditional apres-ski music, at which point the party got going. Until then everyone just stood there, looking bored, drinking and talking amongst themselves, whilst "modern" house/trance/DnB music was inflicted on our ears.
The final time was when I went with a group of boarders, whom I'd been guiding around, and who were keen to sample the famous Goassstall. We stuck it for about 20 minutes and then left. That was the final straw; I never went again, so don't know if it's improved.
It didn't help that they doubled the size of the standing area, and erected a large gift shop blocking the view. Also some female continually bawling incomprehensibly over the loudspeaker,
ski holidays
Yeah. We rarely go. Schwartzacher is our venue of choice and is just magic - proper apres music and dancing on tables etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy