Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
chrisbristol wrote:
@t44tomo, Thanks for the update on this - from your description I have managed to find some Youtube footage.

- Blue 9 towards Zell Express. Blue 10 can be seen to the left at the end of the vid

http://youtube.com/v/sTcptHmn4i8

Looks quite a trek up to the Zell Express! Maybe Red 11/12 and the lift might be easier - I will have to do a trial run of both options before I dare ask the wife!

- Heading away from Zell Express - Blue 10 onto Blue 9/9a

http://youtube.com/v/oK_N-UfeIg4

Red 11/12 would be the easiest way to go by far, (the walk up to Zell am See express whilst lovely in the summer would be a pain in the winter with skis etc). Red 11 is a longish cat track with a steepish drop off to the right, its not particularly steep but its narrow and the drop off to the right could put off a nervous skier. once you join Red 12 (watch out for skiers from uphill when joining) its a short drop down (imagine a standard red pitch) to the lift, this can be soft and bumpy due to the aspect but if you stick to right side it is better. I would not recomend run 21 down to the Zee amSee Express Mittelstation unless a very competent red run skier, we end up helping more stuck skiers on this run than any other in the whole region.

If you really do want to ski in Saalbach area and your wife is not comfortable with the skiing to get to the Zell am see express, the 680 bus is a simple option, starts from the Postplatz goes via the bus stop near the trian station,has several pickups through Zell and runs all the way up the valley to Hinterglem so you can get off where it suits you.

Black 9 in your second vid is a great run for ticking off your first Black as its always in great condition, has a nice consistant pitch and is very wide.

Give me a shout if you want anymore info
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spacey rocking at the Hotel Post

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They haven't let him in yet then.....? He's better off outside - more bants with the passersby Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@beano, Thanks for the recommendations, I am quietly confident that the red 11/12 will be ok - we had some practice on cat tracks over Christmas in a very crowded Obergurgl! I actually did my first black there also, albeit a very short one, so will be having a look at black 9.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Klamm Franzer, they only have live music outside, various artists all finished by 4.30. Not sure why. You can’t even have drink after that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies this has already been covered in this thread already, but.....

Saalbach apres ski on the slopes. Are we aiming for the Kohlmaiskopf area? We've been skiing that area anyway today. Which huts are we aiming for?

Am I right in remembering posts on here that there's 3 bars to aim for?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, yes that’s the place to be, Berger Alm between 330 -430 for buy 1 get 1 free. I also like atmosphere in Panorama Alm umbrella bar, just below the top of the Kohlmaiskabin lift
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ribblevalleyblue, Brill thanks. Then places like Baurers/inferno and Spitz back down at the bottom?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergi’s is better than Bauers. It’s next door to Bauers, lovely family run (small) bar.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@blondends, totally agree can’t remember last time I went in bauers, always Burgi’s for us

@swskier, Make sure you go to Soul house at bottom of bernkogel aswell, can also walk up to it from town centre
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@swskier, for me it would Panorama Alm umbrella until it is dark, as love skiing down in the dark. Then inside at Bauers (the proper inside, not one of the umbrellas) it gets really kicking in there. Bar staff pay real attention to filling your beer pot promptly if you round up a bit on the bill !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours, you mentioned that you thought Spacey might be be playing in Hinterglemm , do you know any details??

Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@blondends, Burgi’s totally agree with you.

@swskier, Montana Royal is a fav as well
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, +1 for Montana Royal love it
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all, Berger Alm for happy hour, €11.20 for 4 beers!!

Then Bergi's, back home to drop off the kit, take off the ski boots, then one in Schwips and back home for dinner.

Ate in Soul House last night, imagine it's great for Après, but would not recommend for food.
snow conditions
You need to do a tour of the Bergeralm shots menu next time you’re there. The horseradish one is ‘interesting’.
latest report
@Yorksboy,
“@tatmanstours, you mentioned that you thought Spacey might be be playing in Hinterglemm , do you know any details??”

I’ll ask him when I next see him - probably tomorrow evening as he’ll be doing his Sunday gig in the Ötzi Bar.
latest report
@swskier, “ Ate in Soul House last night, imagine it's great for Après, but would not recommend for food.”

Noted. It’s hard to know what to know what to make of the Soul House. It’s a lovely building, and it always used to feel like a special place to eat. Fondues we’re one of its specialities.
Then a few years ago it changed ownership (and its name from the “Bäckstättstall” to “Soul House”).
Basically the previous owner sold it to his brother, who also owns the Hotel Saalbacherhof.
It then acquired a reputation for its smoked, very meaty spare ribs. I’ve heard people say that they were the best ribs they’d ever had, and I wouldn’t disagree.
However in the last few seasons it also seems to have acquired a reputation for appalling service - but we still went for the ribs, other favoured menu items, and the attractiveness of the surroundings. Sometimes we asked for the bill to be reduced to reflect the terrible service, which we attributed to temporary (possibly pandemic related) staffing problems.
I haven’t yet dined there this season, but it’s certainly useful to get some feedback.
I really don’t know what they’re playing at. They have a beautiful restaurant with loads of potential, owned by one of the most prominent hotels in Saalbach, and they can’t seem to get their act together.
Having said all that, I suspect that it will be the best place to go for early evening après-ski this season (as it was last season). Peter Thederan and his Swedish band have arrived in the last few days to take up their residency, and I understand that they put on a fantastic show last night. I predicted last season that the Hinterhag Alm (closed last season but now reopened) might struggle to compete with the Soul House, and early indications are that this is coming to pass. And, as long as the owner of the Hinterhag persists in her delusion that she has a singing voice, which people actually want to hear, and refuses to invest in musicians, I can’t see anything changing.
latest report
swskier wrote:

Then Bergi's, back home to drop off the kit, take off the ski boots, then one in Schwips and back home for dinner.

Ate in Soul House last night, imagine it's great for Après, but would not recommend for food.

Thats good. 3 for me. 1 for her.
snow report
Gored wrote:
swskier wrote:

Yeah but don't order 4, if you do 8 will arrive
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@swskier, “ Ate in Soul House last night, imagine it's great for Après, but would not recommend for food.”

Noted. It’s hard to know what to know what to make of the Soul House. It’s a lovely building, and it always used to feel like a special place to eat. Fondues we’re one of its specialities.
Then a few years ago it changed ownership (and its name from the “Bäckstättstall” to “Soul House”).
Basically the previous owner sold it to his brother, who also owns the Hotel Saalbacherhof.
It then acquired a reputation for its smoked, very meaty spare ribs. I’ve heard people say that they were the best ribs they’d ever had, and I wouldn’t disagree.
However in the last few seasons it also seems to have acquired a reputation for appalling service - but we still went for the ribs, other favoured menu items, and the attractiveness of the surroundings. Sometimes we asked for the bill to be reduced to reflect the terrible service, which we attributed to temporary (possibly pandemic related) staffing problems.
I haven’t yet dined there this season, but it’s certainly useful to get some feedback.
I really don’t know what they’re playing at. They have a beautiful restaurant with loads of potential, owned by one of the most prominent hotels in Saalbach, and they can’t seem to get their act together.
Having said all that, I suspect that it will be the best place to go for early evening après-ski this season (as it was last season). Peter Thederan and his Swedish band have arrived in the last few days to take up their residency, and I understand that they put on a fantastic show last night. I predicted last season that the Hinterhag Alm (closed last season but now reopened) might struggle to compete with the Soul House, and early indications are that this is coming to pass. And, as long as the owner of the Hinterhag persists in her delusion that she has a singing voice, which people actually want to hear, and refuses to invest in musicians, I can’t see anything changing.
. Your usual apres ski itinerary isn't conducive to getting to soul house, last lift up bernkogel doesn't work with berger alm happy hour.
snow conditions
kb36 wrote:
Gored wrote:
swskier wrote:

Yeah but don't order 4, if you do 8 will arrive

thats fine if I have no dinner reservations Laughing
snow conditions
I would like to do some sledging runs.
Also night time skiing.

I know floodlight= Hinter but me is staying Saalbach
Any recomendation of a day intenerry?
Was thinking of Goat for nightime. Anyy tips for sledge? Would prefer my stuff is bACK in hotel & rent a sledge
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, we didn't sample much of the menu, pork steaks for the lady and a pizza for me, but they took around an hour to arrive, and when they did weren't that hot.

Pizzas are the Crème Fraîche sauce type, which was fine, but the base was just a tortilla wrap and the toppings pretty flavourless. The pork steaks were fine but not even hot enough to fully melt the garlic and herb butter they came with.

We had a much better time for lunch in Schattbergstube yesterday.
snow conditions
One thing that stood out for me skiing yesterday, was how busy the pistes were, especially compared to our afternoon ski on Friday in Alpbach. I'm hoping it was the nice weather and being a Saturday, but the pistes on Kohlmais were super busy.
snow conditions
“One thing that stood out for me skiing yesterday, was how busy the pistes were, especially compared to our afternoon ski on Friday in Alpbach. I'm hoping it was the nice weather and being a Saturday, but the pistes on Kohlmais were super busy.”

@swskier, Let’s hope so, but it’s a worrying trend, especially for the middle of January. A good reason for recommending French resorts. There was a time when Saalbach was slightly under the radar for skiers from the U.K., but this season I’ve noticed British voices everywhere I go.

Re the Soul House, the standard of service sounds unchanged from last time I was there. It’s normal to send food back, demand a discount, or even get up and leave after waiting an unacceptable length of time. However its saving grace has been the quality of the food, especially the ribs.
But it does help to know what to order, whichever restaurant you visit. For example I wouldn’t order pizzas in the Del Rossi, but it’s good for everything else. And I would no longer go to the Schattberg Stub’n for ribs, as they no longer offer them (last season the ribs were good in Bauers Schialm and the Parma).
The best pizzas are to be found in the Napoli, the Parma, and Bobby’s.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 15-01-23 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
At at the Soul House last night in the restaurant, the first time since 2019, there were a couple of spare tables, we all had the ribs which they smoke in house and we weren’t disappointed, they were as good as we remembered, service was interesting nice waiter we weren’t asked if we wanted coffee or dessert.
ski holidays
@Gored, For night skiing, choose an itinerary that involves calling at the Pfefferalm and then ending at the Goassstall for the party. Or forget the Pfefferalm and end at the Schwarzacher. Then go night skiing at around 7.00-8.00pm, maybe then a bite to eat in Hinterglemm, and a taxi back to Saalbach.

For tobogganing, book via the Spielberghaus website. They take you up on the back of a piste basher, you can have a drink or meal, and then it’s several km to toboggan back.

Or maybe use the toboggan run at the Reiterkogel and lock your skis up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have used the new Nightrider bus service on a couple of occasions and it’s been really good, nice new mini coach very friendly driver , speaks good english, make sure you have the exact fare €5, on each occasion it’s been about half full. For us it’s a saving as there are 2 or 3 of us and a cab back from Saalbach is €20 -23 and about the same to get to Hinterglem.

Edit: The Nightrider stops at the bus stops between Saalbach Schattberg express and Hinterglem 12er Kogel

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 15-01-23 9:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Want to know when the next ski bus is? Download the Sbg Verkehr app within it there is a bus monitor which shows the ski bus and the 680.

latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@Gored, For night skiing, choose an itinerary that involves calling at the Pfefferalm and then ending at the Goassstall for the party. Or forget the Pfefferalm and end at the Schwarzacher. Then go night skiing at around 7.00-8.00pm, maybe then a bite to eat in Hinterglemm, and a taxi back to Saalbach.

For tobogganing, book via the Spielberghaus website. They take you up on the back of a piste basher, you can have a drink or meal, and then it’s several km to toboggan back.

Or maybe use the toboggan run at the Reiterkogel and lock your skis up.

At the moment the night skiing is only Monday, Wednesday & Friday up to 9.30pm. Schwarzacher have a different DJ. (Not the man in a hat of previous years). Very loud with lots of bass- I know my room is about 80 meters away!
latest report
We found the Bergeralm, despite poor visibility. It's snowing nicely right now.
latest report
Here’s a snowy picture from today

snow conditions
Early morning in Saalbach after last night's snow:

At noon with my back to the chicken man, the pistes are firm and fast yet the valley beneath Leogang is rather green

You warned me about the prices, I saw that while passing by:

End of day back in Saalbach:

What a lovely place...
snow report
@drporat, Chicken man 3 x half chickens, 2 x small beer, 1 x Aperol spritz, 2 x coffee = €67.40
Seemed reasonable to me Very Happy
ski holidays
Are there any good options for after after ski fun in Hinterglemm? We're going to give Goaßstall a try tomorrow and after a quick pizza/kebab break we'll probably want to carry on somewhere else.

Also what are the better nightclub type places in Saalbach? We have an eighteen year old with us and while he's doing a pretty good job of putting up with his dad and his dad's even older mates dancing around to cheese I think we should treat him and take him somewhere a bit more like the raves he goes to in England.
latest report
@Snow Hound, re après-après-ski in Hinterglemm, no idea, as I don’t bother going there in the evenings now, but I once went to the Glemmerkeller and enjoyed it - live band.

Your son would probably enjoy Castello and Taverne in Saalbach.
snow report
We had a birthday treat at the Chicken man last March. A chicken and lobster sharing plate with 2 glasses of champagne. Generous portions, tasty food and I think it was was about €90. Not cheap - but expensive ingredients in a great setting - out on the balcony with a great view. Not something I'd do every lunchtime, but a very lovely treat.
ski holidays
radar wrote:
@drporat, Chicken man 3 x half chickens, 2 x small beer, 1 x Aperol spritz, 2 x coffee = €67.40
Seemed reasonable to me Very Happy

is it just 1/2 a chicken or does it come with chips? salad? or anything else?
ski holidays
@radar, indeed. Champagne makes any meal price jump to the top.
And for special ocasions it's correct, of course.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy