Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Rowlski,

From https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort :

Planned operating times winter 2022/23 (subject to change)
08.12.2022 until 10.04.2023 lift operation with ski connections between Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn

Probable worst case is that you get boilerplate in the morning, ski the north facing slopes for the day, and maybe have to cross some fields of slush on the way back.

Best case is you get powder and bluebird days. The split is maybe 60/40, and they'll be doing everything they can to remain open for the Easter period. And there is usually snow long after the lifts have closed - the closing date is more about when people stop wanting to come.

Absolute worst case is high temperatures, heavy rain and/or Föhn conditions in mid-March which destroys the pistes and forces them to close. It's unlikely, but it remains a possibility, hence their "subject to change" clause.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And on the Vaya Residence Kristall, it's not one I've stayed in but the location is good as it is close to the Schattberg Xpress, you can ski in from the Bernkogel almost to the door on the new link (though that could very well be closed by the end of March), and the photos on their website make it look really good inside. Vaya are a substantial company offering places in several resorts, and appear to have high standards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rowlski, The Kristall isn't in a bad location - central and handy for the Schattberg Xpress. I'm biased, because my apartments are higher up in the village, opposite the Kohlmaisbahn, and I always recommend people to look for accommodation around that area (Schiliftstrasse, Ronachstrasse, Kohlmaisliftstrasse), or in Oberdorf (the upper part of the main village street, Dorfstrasse). My reasons being that:

(a) I find the two other gondolas, the Kohlmaisbahn and the Bernkogelbahn, more useful than the Schattberg Xpress;
(b) staying in the lower part of the village involves an uphill walk to both of those other two gondolas, and it's a bit of a slog to the Kohlmaisbahn up a steep gradient by the church;
(c) the best or most popular apres-ski bars are all around the Schiliftstrasse and Bernkogel areas. I refer in particular to Bauer's Schialm, Burgi's Bar, the Spitzbub, and the Soul House. The Eva Alm is also in Oberdorf. And the way down at the end of the skiing day, for many people who like an apres-ski drink or two, is via the Bergeralm, the Maisalm, and/or the Hinterhag Alm, all of which are on the Kohlmais - so you ski down to Schiliftstrasse.
(d) To ski back to be near to accommodation in the lower part of the village, you either come down the Schattberg black run, or download on the Schattberg Xpress, or use the new little (narrow) cut through from the Bernkogel (could be interesting in late March), whereas to ski back to accommodation in the upper part of the village, you have a choice of three blue runs and a red run.
(e) In summary, people who live in the lower part of the village (and I have friends who own apartments in the Kristall) are generally envious of anyone who lives in the upper part of the village, because the former spend a lot of their time walking uphill to the lifts and bars. At least that's what they tell me.

Having said all that, walking uphill is good fitness training.

At the time of your planned visit, "White Pearl Mountain Days" will probably be hosting their mountain-top parties - two different restaurants each day for about two weeks, one each afternoon, and one each early evening. Good live music and DJs, and a special menu. Worth looking at.

If it's any reassurance, I have always been able to ski back to my apartments right up the end of the season - and I live on the south-facing side. I would expect the whole ski area, including the links to Leogang, Fieberbrunn, and Zell am See, to be open until at least the end of March.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rowlski, no opinion on the Vaya Residence Kristall, only that it has a good position, you can virtually ski back to it from the Bernkogel and the Schattberg lift station is 50 meters away ascis the bus stop, you have two ski shops opposite, a small bar at the bottom of the Bernkogel to Schattberg link, one of our favourite restaurants opposite, Del Rossi schnitzel, steak, Thai curry and a good wine list, there is a bakers shop underneath as well.

The area should be open and White Mountain Pearl days will probably have started various DJ’s and live music in the mountain restaurants in the afternoon , you will have just missed Dutch week.

It will be great in the morning everywhere and slushy on the sunny side, Bernkogel, Kholmais, we tend to take the lift down from mid station when it’s too slushy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone wanting to wear orange then the week to be in Saalbach is 18 to 25 March

https://dutchweek.nl/en/dutchweek-winter/locations/saalbach-23/

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks @ousekjarr, @tatmanstours & @radar!

I'm not too worried about the snow and know what to expect in terms of hard/slush transition at that time of year. Always tend to go around then and almost always to Austria. It was more that the links and some slopes might have closed based on getting towards end season so good to hear everything ought to still be going.

Based on what you say I think the location should work for us. With the family and actually not too keen on being in the middle of the bars at night given noise for the kids.

@tatmanstours, I wouldn't mind being higher up in the village from a walking point of view but to get an apartment or rooms up there with single beds or bunks for the kids was way more expensive then I could afford! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rowlski, I have availability that week. I’ll P.M. you, in case I can help.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite happy to miss Dutch week, don't know if that or White Mountain Pearl days is quieter on the slopes! Quite fancy some live music up the mountains.

Will def have to investigate the schnitzel place ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rowlski, Dutch week is definitely to be avoided. It wouldn’t be so bad if they had any taste in music! But thousands of orange-clad cloggies all going mental to extremely loud cacophony emanating from various bars that allow them to monopolise and even charge a significant entrance fee … well you get the idea.
By contrast, WPMD is chilled and tasteful, and worth attending. My favourite last season was at the Breitfussalm - perfect weather and venue.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here is an alternative to the Holiday Shuttle which doesn't seem to be running this season, we used them in March and they were fine, its €60 each way, if there are 3 or more then their private transfer works out well as its €180 each way .

https://www.austriatransfer.com/downloads/fahrplaene2021/Saalbach_Hinterglemm.pdf please use this as a timetable and go for live pricing on their site

Link to their site to get a quote: https://www.austriatransfer.com/en

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 26-09-22 7:54; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@radar, thanks very helpful. I am confused though you say €60 each way, it says €90? Less if return trip and if more of you, what’s the €60 based upon?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ribblevalleyblue, I can understand why Toofy Grin

I went for a quote in January from Saalbach for two people one way ,

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ribblevalleyblue, I've just looked back on the Holiday shuttle time table, they used to charge €55 each way or €105 if you booked a return, so the €60 is more inline with this, both drivers we had weren't local but were familiar with the valley and Zell. They were doing an awful lot pick ups at Salzburg in March, many are private ones.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, just got a quote from the website for January and it’s €200 return for 1 person, but only €220 if there are 2 of you !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ribblevalleyblue, you are right just looked at out 7 jan back 14, seems strange, might be worth sending them an email to check, especially as it’s supposed to be a scheduled service .
snow report
@radar, yes will contact them as seems a big penalty for a single traveller on a shared transfer. There are 3 of us so we will certainly get a private transfer on arrival as want to get an hour or 2 on the slopes, subject to no flight delays. It looks of interest if it’s €60 on way back, as we are flying into different airports and my flight is 3 hours later than my friends.
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue, interested to see what they say
latest report
I really ought to start a taxi business!
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, good idea, I can’t understand why the Holiday Shuttle has stopped, maybe the can’t get the drivers or they are making enough on local trips, though 6620 have quite a fleet of coaches and minibuses, I’ve dropped them any email to ask if the shuttle is on for this season, will post an update when I get a reply.
latest report
glad to see the return of the saalbach pages for 23 , hi tatman et al, and to see that familiar folk are offering their sound advice , trust you are all in good heart and like us looking forward to a more normal season .
We are later in sorting our plans for early march usually have the hotel in place july or august .Was a tad concerned that our favorites would have limited choice available but seems that generally bookings are not as strong as usual, maybe its worries over ukraine or the rapidly rising cost of living . However spent a bit of time this morning and looks like we are sorted .As usual we hope to drive across in march as the flight cost and transfers etc work out just about then same and its then possible to extend our ski trip either before or after for a few days wether in saalbach or somewhere new.
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, and anyone else, the tourist office have got back to me with name of a company in Zell who are offering a shuttle service, have sent them an email asking for details. More to follow
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
I really ought to start a taxi business!
taxi for 2 Scots early March please
snow conditions
@kb36, show them what’s under your kilts, Kevin, and I’m sure someone will stop to offer you a lift!
ski holidays
Transfers

Holiday Shuttle have confirmed that there will not be any service this winter, they plan to resume in December 2023

There will be a shared shuttle service run by Rudigier Reisen also know as Austrian Transfers and Gastein Taxi, we used them last March and they were fine, you pay the driver when you get on the transfer, they work differently to Holiday Shuttle and so is their pricing, if there is one of you its €100 each way if its two of you it's €120 each way (so €60 each person), if there are three or more of you then it makes sense to have a private transfer, the pricing was confirmed by email to me.

Use this link to book the shared shuttle or a private transfer https://www.gasteintaxi.com/en/services/airport-transfer/#

There are other Saalbach based taxi companies, prices taken from their website :
Taxi 52 $170 for 1 to 4 people
Taxi Rainer, no prices
Taxi 6620, no prices
Royal taxi, €160 for 1 to 4 people
Taxi Riepler, no prices.

@ribblevalleyblue, had to sort flights and transfer for my daughter so contacted them direct, also mentioned to them that 60 was Ok but 100 wasn't.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@kb36, show them what’s under your kilts, Kevin, and I’m sure someone will stop to offer you a lift!
might get charged for excess baggage though
ski holidays
@kb36, Laughing snowHead Laughing
snow report
We're taking a bit of a longer route to Saalbach, by flying in and out of Innsbruck, as it means we can do Friday-Sunday (8 nights) rather than Saturday-Saturday, and have two plans:

1. Hire a car, stop somewhere en route from Innsbruck airport for a ski Friday afternoon, and then vice versa back to Innsbruck the following Saturday, where we'll spend the night in Innsbruck before flying home Sunday morning. But, hire prices are mental at the moment.
2. Train/bus from Innsbruck Airport to Saalbach, but this means no Friday afternoon ski, and no Saturday ski, as we'll have nowhere to keep our gear.

If we drive and ski on the Friday afternoon, perhaps somewhere like Söll would work, as we're driving through the resort, or Sankt Johann, as again we drive through?

If we train, can anyone think of somewhere with Baggage storage that would allow us to do this as well? I could speak to our apartment owner in Saalbach to see if we can store our gear in there until early afternoon on the following Saturday so we can ski a half day, or we could just get back over to Innsbruck and have a good explore.
snow conditions
@swskier, if you are driving then the Skiwelt is worth a stop with Brixen being the obvious place if you are passing through, or you could try something unusual like Steinplatte, Pillersee, or St Johann.

For train transfer, the obvious place is Kitzbuhel as the station is right beside the lift. There may not be lockers at the station, but you can rent a locker at hire shops and/or the lift station - see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123409 for a previous discussion. Whether they would fit your kit depends on the size - if you travel with a wheelie ski bag only then it might, but a bulky suitcase would be a different matter. Maybe contact https://en.element3-kitzbuehel.at/ski-rental.html and ask them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ousekjarr, thanks for the reply.

Google maps was taking us north of Brixen, through Söll, hence me thinking of there as a starting point. As it's only going to be an afternoon ski, I think it might be nice to try somewhere smaller, like St Johann, especially as we're driving through there anyway, if we take the hire car option.

Will take a closer look nearer the time when we have a better idea around travel costs, and therefore what option we take.
ski holidays
For anyone interested the new 22/23 piste map has been released here https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/piste-map
snow conditions
I am going to be knocking around saalbach for 3 months. I plan to take a car but there is no parking at accommodation (opposite Kohlmaisbahn lift). I believe there is parking further down valley and catch bus back but would prefer car in walking distance for day trips utilising salzburg super ski lift pass. Any suggestions on a better parking spot?
ski holidays
Underground car park at kohlmais lift isn't there. Tatmanstours should be able to confirm, his apartment is directly opposite
ski holidays
Hi, just been looking to book Saalbach next year for 4th-11th March and it looks like many hotels are sold out already. Is there something happening that week such as school holidays or a Ski race event? This time of year Im used to seeing loads of availability still.
snow conditions
I just booked an apartment for that same week and it was a bit of a challenge but looking on different platforms opened up some better options.

Can't wait!
snow report
@WASHOUT, There is a parking garage at the Kohlmaisbahn. It is for day visitors and you need to get your ticket validated at the pass office in the lift station to get out for free. Having said that, I spent too long at apres one day and returned to find the large shutter closed on the carpark. This opened when I waved my skipass at the sensor.....

I wouldn't like to try and park there long-term as I suspect there would be a penalty charge along the line. No details online but I reckon that there is a warning on the tariff notice inside the garage.

Parking in Saalbach is a nightmare. I think that dumping the car at the Schonleitenbahn is the best option, sadly. I know that @Ousekjarr had some fun and games with this in the past....... Embarassed
latest report
Is that Schonleitenbahn a covered car park? How far is it from Kohlmaisbahn lift ?
ski holidays
@WASHOUT, It's open air, the ski bus stops there, obvious I know as it's right by the lift station, you would have to walk down from the Kholmais to the main road to catch the bus, if you are walking it's 30 + Minutes or so in normal shoes/boots

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 7-10-22 15:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@snorks, nothing going on that I can think off, just that it' the first week after the half term season (February )
latest report
I have posted on one of the facebook saalbach seasonaires pages looking for a parking space. Never know if you don't ask.
snow report
@WASHOUT, Have you posted on Inside Saalbach on Facebook, it quite an active one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy