Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
we booked our hotel a while ago, recently weve been considering adding a few days onto our initial trip and moving to another area/village .Having thought long and hard have come to the conclusion there is nowhere better that suits myself and mrs SFF than saalbach , so a couple of emails sent and looks like we are sorted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thinking of heading out March 11th for a week. Had planned March 4th but everything seems booked up in the area that week or the previously mentioned ski race.

What are conditions like at this time of year. I very rarely ski in Austria but I am guessing it will be similar to Morzine given the elevation profile of the resort. I know the usual caveats of many of the slopes being South facing.

Alternative is go a week earlier on Feb 25th. Are conditions likely to be significantly better two weeks earlier?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Thinking of heading out March 11th for a week. Had planned March 4th but everything seems booked up in the area that week or the previously mentioned ski race.

What are conditions like at this time of year. I very rarely ski in Austria but I am guessing it will be similar to Morzine given the elevation profile of the resort. I know the usual caveats of many of the slopes being South facing.

Alternative is go a week earlier on Feb 25th. Are conditions likely to be significantly better two weeks earlier?

There is some availability in hotels or self catering (weve just booked extra time) ,depends wether you are independent or tour company. You could try contacting hotels directly , we have been several times first saturday in march and also for the 2nd week in march cant remember ever loosing a days skiing due to weather or not been able to ski all the way down , ,Im thinking that folk dont take into account the very good piste preparation or the the orientation of the slopes which helps . the actual race / practice dont impinge too much on the area esp if staying in saalbach rather than hinterglem ( having skied morzine in march though a long time ago would plumb for saalbach)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NoMapNoCompass, there is certainly self catering available Very Happy , we will be arriving the week of the 11th as we have done for the last few year and it's been good , if it gets to0 sunny and warm in the afternoon on the sunny side there is always the other side of the valley.

Had a quick look and Hotel die Sonne behind us has availability
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those who like the 'Wildenkarhütte' at the top of entrance to Leogang, is it just me or does it look like they've had a modern extension put on the side?

https://saalbach.panomax.com/wildenkarkogel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snorks, yes, that's a new build and one which had entirely escaped my attention. I'm assuming it was prefabricated as panels and assembled quickly on site, as I don't remember seeing it when I last looked at the cameras a few weeks ago...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ousekjarr ...and seems to have some great views from the front and back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snorks, to complement the great views from the panoramic lounge on the western end Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ousekjarr, which a lot of people avoid as it's the self service end, we always head there Toofy Grin

Looking forward too checking it out in three weeks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at possibility of bus/train/bus to Salzburg airport in January as travelling back solo due to flight times of friends, looked on the OEBB app and it only offers price for train part at €36, anyone know what is the cost for bus from Schattberg to Zell and then Salzburg train station to airport?

It doesn’t offer the bus all the way option, but looking at the timetable of the 260 bus from Maishofen that might be reason, as it’s every 2 hours and won’t work for me

I am comparing to the solo person penalty of the www.Austrian.transfer.com shared shuttle of €100, which seems only shared option this year

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ribblevalleyblue, https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/ will give you the timetable and the fares, you can also download the app which also gives the train options.

Edit: they aren’t showing the January fares, currently the fare from Saalbach to Zell is €5.10, as the new timetable goes live 5 December I would expect the fares soon.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@radar, thanks, it says €2.1 at salzburg from train station to airport, so about €43 end to end, so less than half shared transfer and timings work well
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@radar, thanks, it says €2.1 at salzburg from train station to airport, so about €43 end to end, so less than half shared transfer and timings work well

I believe that the Zell to Salzburg train fare is normally about €18 one way. So about €25 end to end one-way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Austrian Seagull, as I recall I had 2 options of train out of zell, based upon leaving Saalbach on 0930 bus. One got me to airport about 1230 (which was quoting €36) and I think involved a change, there was another direct but arrived 1310 and more stops, perhaps that is the cheaper one you reference. Purely guessing based on cost, one is a more local/regional v intercity ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all, some questions regarding SH.

We are a family of three (wife, my 7 year old son and myself) and planning on heading there this half term. Likely driving down (first time driving) due to extortionate costs of flights.

At the moment we have booked Glemmtalerhof in Hinterglemm, which looks reasonably well located to access both sides. Though there is also availability at the Kohlmais hotel in Saalbach, which does seem to have lots of tremendous reviews. However judging from the Saalbach website, there are more family activities located in Hinterglemm, e.g. fun slopes, snowtubing, Fairy tail forest, etc.

So I was wondering if Hinterglemm is the better place to stay for a family?

Also if anyone knows where the ski school meeting point for kids (intermediate-ish) is in Hinterglemm, I would appreciate that information, as I was unable to find it online (for Saalbach I gather it is next to the Schattberg Xpress)

Cheers.
snow report
For at least some of them it is near the 12er Express - Schwarzacherweg where there is also a kids beginners area. Don't know Hinterglemm town well, I am sure others will come with more info but regarding the Kohlmais, it is in a great location for the lifts, it is also just across the road from the biggest Apres bars in town so may not be the quietest. Hinterglemm has the night options for toboggan and night skiing. Otherwise fun slopes etc are pretty well spread out. Good areas for fun trails etc are the Bernkogel "learn to ride" and towards Leogang on Asitz (which also has great mountain lunches!). Enjoy your trip,
ski holidays
The Hinterglemm ski schools (there are several) meet near the bottom of the T-bars (Snow & Fun), or around the same area (Aktiv, Heli's), within 5 minutes of the Glemmtalerhof. "Skill" meets just outside the village at Wiesenegg, so you don't really want to book with them if you're staying in the centre of the village.

EDIT ..! Furstauer have a small baby slope next to the Schattberg Xpress lift and this is where the kids' groups meet. Adult group lessons (only Furstauer offer these) usually meet either at the top of the Bernkogel lift, or by the Turm lift (almost directly opposite the Kohlmias Hotel). The other schools (Snowacademy, Easyski) meet their private clients at their offices in the centre of the village, or at a pre-arranged lift.

For half-term you need to book lessons well in advance - for groups either with Snow & Fun in Hinterglemm, or Furstauer in Saalbach.

There's not really much difference between what's on offer for families in either resort - and it only takes a few minutes to ski from one to the other. Hinterglemm does have the night slope (assuming that this is going to be open this season and does not fall victim to energy-saving measures), but otherwise, choose the hotel that suits best. Hotel Kohlmais gets very good reviews - including from Snowheads - and could hardly be more convenient for the lifts. It is far enough away from the apres bars to not suffer from the noise, and the revellers walk in the opposite direction to get to the rest of the village, not past the hotel.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 17-11-22 18:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@ski_free,

I stayed in the Glemmtalerhof in Jan 2022 and loved it (disclaimer we don't have children). There's a pool on the top floor that looks out onto the slopes, excellent food and very good rooms.

It's a 2-3 minute walk from lifts on either side of the valley and the main ski school meet up in the village (Snow and Fun) at the bottom of the lift labeled as A9 on the piste map. I've had private adult lessons with S & F and they were good, no idea what they are like for kids I'm afraid but it is very popular.

As to whether to stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm. Much debate rages on this..... we are not staying in Hinterglemm this coming season as we wanted to try further up the valley and are just outside Saalbach but as a couple who enjoy skiing, followed by a beer, spa and then a beer or wine with dinner it was great.
ski holidays
@ski_free, others will have better info, but on the meeting point for kids in Saalbach being next to Schattberg, I would doubt that if your son is 7 and intermediate ish that it will be down there. It is for absolute beginners, we took our son in 2020 just turned 5 and that’s where they taught him. I am a Hotel Kohlmais fan, we stayed there in 2020 and if you like food, it’s fantastic, not Michelin but on another level from the other hotels in Saalbach.
ski holidays
Another question for Salbaach gurus. Looking to go on a boys weekend - Thursday to Sunday . Stay at the Adler . Group of 6 strong on-piste skiers . Any reason not go to this resort ?
latest report
@Spyglass, you won't regret it. The only downside is the cost of returning more regularly in the future
snow conditions
@Spyglass, probably better to go on another thread to ask the question
ski holidays
@Col_the_Yeti, @quinton, @TomBH, @ribblevalleyblue thank you all for the feedback and additional insights. First hand experiences are alwasy very useful.

The A9 in Hinterglemm does seem to be central to many activities, so being close to that certainly would help.

For Saalbach, there seems to be no piste link between Kohlmaisbahn and Benrkogel. How easy is it to get from one to the other?
latest report
@ski_free, 1 minute to get from Kohlmais to Bernkogel, you go down a lift to Main Street, walk across the road, easy
snow report
Nice to see on the webcams a dusting of snow higher up today
ski holidays
Updated transfer options

The tourist office have updated their website with the transport links, including the “new” airport shuttle service, which is Austrian Transfer, if there are two or more its €60 each way, a single person is €100 Shocked

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/arrival

The bus timetable from 11 December has been published, the fare from Salzburg airport is €15.00 one way, https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/, you’ll get train options too.
snow report
@radar, can’t see Austrian transfer getting many single travellers with bus/trains seriously cheaper
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue, totally agree, I did drop them a line, my view is that they are concerned that they may have one passenger on the shuttle at at €60 it wouldn’t make it viable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, surely 2 on a shuttle doesn’t make it viable, I’m pretty sure if there was only 2 booked on a particular trip they would cancel that
snow report
eeek....
Scheduled landing is 15:30
last bus is 16:49
snow conditions
@Gored, plenty of time, Salzburg is a small and efficient airport, the bus stop is 2 min stroll from the terminal.
ski holidays
I'm thinking of setting out a FREE treasure hunt when I'm out in January, using the What 3 Words app. The idea is that I ski for a bit, find a place to attach a prize, find what the what3words code is, and put it out that night for people to find the next day. If they're not found while I'm in resort, they stay until they're found. What are people's thoughts on this?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 20-11-22 19:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
radar wrote:
@Gored, plenty of time, Salzburg is a small and efficient airport, the bus stop is 2 min stroll from the terminal.

More concerned about a flight delay or the slot moves between now departure!
ski holidays
@Gored, we work on 30 / 45 minutes as our minimum, only had one instance were it was close in 14 arrivals since 2016.

Your post prompted me to have a look at how frequently we have arrived at Salzburg, sad I know Toofy Grin

I’ve probably jinxed it now!
snow report
Gored wrote:
eeek....
Scheduled landing is 15:30
last bus is 16:49

I’d aim for the 260 bus. If you miss it, just jump on the number 2 bus to Salzburg station and catch a train.
ski holidays
@TomBH, Hopefully there will be enough snow as there I no snowmaking on the run, we have skied it in mid March, the number has also changed to 86 or 86a if you join it from beneath the Sunliner 4 or the SonnAlm.

Red 85 is a nice run, never too busy.
ski holidays
@radar, fingers crossed and good to know on 85.

Checked the webcams today, winter has arrived!
latest report
Loving the webcams... so long to wait though still Skullie
ski holidays
its all gone quiet on here ,not a post in a week and tis meant to be opening day, though doesnt look if much is open other than the top of leogang but webcams show a covering and that groomers have been in action.
snow report
@Spyglass, the Adler is a cracking hotel in a good location. Highly recommended the area for a boys trip. You'll just be a few minutes stagger home from the Goasstahl and 10 mins from the Schwartzacher (our favourite).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy