Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@skifamily - Re ski schools in Saalbach.

The closest school to your accommodation, Avenida Mountain Lodges, is actually Heugenhauser at the Schonleiten lift. They offer groups for children's lessons and there is a (free) magic carpet lift where the beginner lessons take place. Once the kids have found their ski legs they'll be up into the really nice area by the Polten lift and Seidl Alm.

To get there, just cross the road from your hotel and take the free ski bus - it takes 5 minutes to Schonleiten. The bus back stops directly outside your hotel.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all! We're going to be staying in Hochfilzen for a few weeks, including that World Cup week. I can't quite tell from the piste map, but is there any way to get over to the Saalbach/Hinterglemm side from Leogang or Fieberbrunn as a pedestrian using lifts/walking trails?

Thought it worth a check in case, though I imagine it's wishful thinking. Laughing I don't drink and ski so it's only really so we can go and watch with some beers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant say ive ever seen any body walking, other than the barmy folk who ski up hill in the area. The summer paths/cycle routes are either skied on trails or blocked , think you had better ski there and back ,its a fair way to walk and buses are possible but not direct and very impractical /time consuming . Just refrain from the amber nectar should you wish to watch a bit but reckon you wouldnt stay watching for long or drive round if youve got a car . cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ski for fun, thanks - I thought as much, though was vaguely hopeful there might be a pedestrian way down to Saalbach from Asitz (there's a walking trail across the top on the piste map but no obvious route down).

Will just have to ski, there are worse things! Laughing Can't wait to be in the area again, had a fab trip when we were firmly blue run ploughers and looking forward to exploring properly this time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hope you and yours enjoy your trip , all the best cheers. Im getting on a bit but my trips to saalbach rejuvenate me every visit or at least let me re live my youth for a week or so. Interested to know why you are going to hochfilzen for a few weeks are you in to langlauf?, which mrs ski for fun says could be the future.!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski for fun, thank you. Smile

We are doing nearly three months on a bucket list visit to Austria, using the Super Ski Card and spending a few weeks each around Kitzbuhel, Ski Amade and the Saalbach area... but as you can imagine it's very expensive to get comfortable, practical accommodation (washing machines are difficult to find) especially when races are on! So we're a little out of the main spots in each place, no bother as long as it's an easy ski bus to a lift.

However, we started XC skiing last season and I'd like to do more, perfect opportunity. Mrs Ski for fun is right I think, though my husband disagrees - less keen!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ElzP, are you driving out? Your stay will be so much better with a car, especially if you have a Superski pass! Hochfilzen is a bit of of the way but there are some really good little ski areas close by but the bus network might be a bit limiting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElzP, picked up on your washing machine needs, most apartment houses in Austria will have a communal washing machine and dryer, ours has and Casa Alpina does too you need lots of 50 cent pieces, i get a €20 roll from the bank Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Skifamily, as @quinton, has mentioned you can go the other way, been trying to remember the ski school.

Yesterday we walked past Skill , the 10 am start is certainly attractive, the meeting point is right outside the shop then the two slopes are a short walk away, both of them are T bars. If you do decide to got with them and you want private lessons in Hinterglem , Penhab comes highly recommended by Yorksboy, there’s comments about them in this thread.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Klamm Franzer, we're not, specifically after using public transport on this trip. Doesn't seem so limiting - from our accommodation 10 mins on the bus to lift at Fieberbrunn, under 20 mins on the bus to Leogang, and 25 minutes on the train to Zell. Not bad! Very Happy Austria has such good train/bus/lift connections.

We're not the type of folk who need to ski different areas or runs every day. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, I’m trying to find accommodation for a group in Saalbach over a long weekend. I’ve tried a load of hotels and guesthouses in the town but no luck. I see the Avenida Mountain Lodge has room for us according to booking.com.
Has anyone stayed there and would you recommend it?
We usually stay somewhere central, is there a bar in the building?
Is the shuttle bus service sufficient and does it run in the evening and at night?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@donie75, Accommodation is geared to a weeks stay, long weekends are difficult to find, you could DM @tatmanstours, who has a centraly located apartment. When are you looking to go?

Hotel shuttle buses, they usually finish around 5 - 5.30, you would need to check directly with them, the ski bus stops right by the Mountain Lodges the last one from town is 5pm, taxis are plentiful and you would be looking at €15-20 one way, cabs take 6 -8 people and skis if you wanted to have a bit of apre in town. Your can also use the 680 bus for which you will need to pay €2-3 pp (the driver may let you off paying) as its the scheduled bus services that runs upto about 7pm. There is a night bus service "Night Rider" I haven't been able to work out it's times from the Shattberg Xpress down the valley, but I think it's once an hour but every 15 minutes up to Hinterglemm.

They have a restaurant and bar onsite

Haven't stayed there looked a buying one and they are modern and well equipped , https://www.mountainlodgessaalbach.com/en
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Radar, I have had very little luck finding a place that will take a group of 15-18 people for 5 nights over a weekend. The Avenida have availability according to booking.com so I will email them directly and see what’s available.
We usually go to Mayrhofen but we are thinking of trying Saalbach for a change.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@donie75, don't think Tatman can take that many! the reason they won't take you is the empty nights either side of the weekend, you could try Gasthof Alpensport we have stayed there they have a bar and you can walk into town without ski boots, there is a bus stop nearby and it's one stop to the Schattberg Xpress, the link below takes you to the tourist office website for accommodation

https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/Hotel_Gasthof%20Alpensport_17187_0

direct https://alpensportsaalbach.at/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@donie75, try Adler Resort in Hinterglemm. Been there a few times and can cater for large groups. Can choose self catering or all inclusive (per day if you want). Cracking rooms and location
snow report
This coming season’s operating dates

Operating times winter 2023/24*
Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
01.12.2023 to 07.12.2023 lift operation in the areas Schönleiten, Asitz, Zwölferkogel and Fieberbrunn
08.12.2023 to 01.04.2024 lift operation with ski connections between Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
02.04.2024 to 07.04.2024 partial operation in the Skicircus
*Subject to change
snow conditions
@radar, should have started a new cotton for that
latest report
@Mother hucker, Tatman creates the annual thread, probably next month Very Happy
snow report
radar wrote:
This coming season’s operating dates

Operating times winter 2023/24*
Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
01.12.2023 to 07.12.2023 lift operation in the areas Schönleiten, Asitz, Zwölferkogel and Fieberbrunn
08.12.2023 to 01.04.2024 lift operation with ski connections between Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
02.04.2024 to 07.04.2024 partial operation in the Skicircus
*Subject to change

Saalbach is contention for my early Dec weekend, didn't think the full area would open until week before Christmas...... now we just need the weather gods to be onside!
ski holidays
@TomBH, We are usually there from around 11 December and the full area is always open, no issues getting around , there is always the snow cannon, though not my favourite type of snow.
latest report
@radar, good to know. Looking at arriving 7 Dec and leaving 11 Dec. There should hopefully be plenty of hotel space then. One to make a call on nearer the time.

Mountain huts tend to open with the ski area or do some of them wait until a bit nearer Christmas?
ski holidays
@TomBH, It’s a great time to ski , most mountain huts will be open, the piste uncrowded .

The Saalbach tourist office website will have which mountain restaurants will have a rest day , with over 60 mountain huts you will have a choice.
snow conditions
“Tatman creates the annual thread, probably next month”

Yes, August always seems a bit early, as the summer tourist season in Saalbach is at its peak, and thoughts tend to turn to the winter in September - but open to persuasion if you good people think we should have a new thread running at this relatively early stage.
I’ve been enjoying myself recently in the U.K., but heading back to Saalbach next week, and will share any interesting news.
snow conditions
Hi all,

I'm jumping ahead to 2023-2024 and booking things earlier, must be the lovely weather we have had the last few weeks.

Choice for a early March week comes down to Hotel Die Sonne again (stayed March 23) - it was absolutely fantastic - or Hotel Kristiana. It's £325pp cheaper for the Kristiana (although its half board not all inclusive so would spend on drinks) and would continue our trek down the valley having started in a chalet in Lengau in 2020, Hinterglemm 2022 and Die Sonne 2023. Basically wondering if anyone has stayed in both and has any views.

Suspect the £650 saving we would make (Kristiana is the cheapest hotel in Saalbach on Inghams for our dates!) will hold sway but thought I would see if anyone has any direct comparison.
ski holidays
@TomBH, haven’t stayed there however @ribblevalleyblue, has and has recommended it in the past, here’s one https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3460182&highlight=kristiana#3460182
snow report
@tatmanstours,
could be time Tatman and folks dont have to reference 2 threads. Just left saalbach after a few day MTB. We picked the worst week of the summer to go
latest report
@TomBH, the Kristiana has a good reputation and is in a much better/more convenient location than the Sonne, so, even without the significant cost difference you mention, I would say it’s a no-brainer.

As we seem to be getting discussions about making bookings for next season, I will start this year’s new thread.

And, if anyone’s looking for an apartment, I would mention that I have a small network of British friends, who own rental apartments in Saalbach (and one in Hinterglemm), so it’s always worth messaging me.
snow report
The new thread for 2023/24 is now up and running, so I suggest that we draw a line under this one and use the new one for any future posts and discussions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TomBH, having stayed in both Hotel Sonne and Kristiana about 3 times in each I would say it all depends on what your priorities are. Sonne is the better hotel for variety of food, plus pool and spa, but it’s a pain for not being central. Kristiana is better for location.
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, thanks- we are going to give Kristiana a bash for 2024.

We to some degree quite liked the Sonne location as we could finish in a wider range of locations and just get the hotel taxi to come and get us.

I'll try to remember to report back on what we thought come March.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy