Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2022-2023

Poster: A snowHead
Ahh i see - its been a couple of years but I quite like that really long run down into Valtournenche from the top. I assume that roady bit as you approach VT is all spring-like slush?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forecast looking up a bit in the short run with a nice spike on the 15th or thereabouts.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like things get a bit spicy (or at least start to change) from the 9th or 10th onwards?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another great day on pistes and the higher pistes were simply gorgeous with a breathtaking bluebird sky. Sad to say one or two stones starting to show through but please note this is a few and next week’s snow should sort those out……, assuming it delivers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RetroBod, I’m hoping
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am due another trip in Feb and would love to come back here if I can get the right deal from a well known TO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like heavy snow falling in Zermatt town now on the webcam. ( Zermatterhof roof cam)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dorf and Schonegg webcams not showing much in town form what I can see?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like 5cm in town overnight from the Zermatterhof roofcam.@Run28, 50 minutes is a long time in snowfall circles. Just saying what I saw Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Question about lift passes, We are going at the end of the month, ( again) this time for six days, and I'm wondering if we get the international pass for three days, can that be for any three days? or how does it work? no point in buying a six day international pass if it gets closed, also we may not want to cross over everyday, buying online it doesn't state clearly if you can use them on any day, iukwim.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would just upgrade for the days you want to go over. Cheaper and more flexible
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
twoodwar wrote:
Looks like 5cm in town overnight from the Zermatterhof roofcam.@Run28, 50 minutes is a long time in snowfall circles. Just saying what I saw Very Happy

I’m glued to the webcams also. Lovely to see a dusting across the village this morning.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Run28 wrote:
I would just upgrade for the days you want to go over. Cheaper and more flexible

When I booked my lift pass for my aborted trip to Zermatt last month, it was a lot cheaper to just pay for the international pass up front rather than add a single international day.

But the pricing might work out very different if coming from the Italian side Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like most runs on the glacier are closed (as shown on live panoramic map) plus Furgstattel lift but the weather report talks of light winds. Also looks like the link to Cervinia is closed. Any ideas why
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DCG wrote:
Looks like most runs on the glacier are closed (as shown on live panoramic map) plus Furgstattel lift but the weather report talks of light winds. Also looks like the link to Cervinia is closed. Any ideas why

It was/is incredibly windy high up on the ridge. No chance of opening the link. Fortunately from Trockener Steg down the wind is having no impact. A combination of high winds and the need for avalanche control meant it took a while to get things opened up. However, it is now glorious for piste skiing. Just having a rosti and fendant at Sunnegga before heading up to Rothorn.
snow report
@JohnMo, I'm not at all jealous!
Thanks for that explanation and enjoy your skiing
ski holidays
@JohnMo, hope you enjoyed the Rosti!
snow report
DCG wrote:
(as shown on live panoramic map) ... the link to Cervinia is closed ...

Can be checked here ...... https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Zermatt-ski-area/Ski-map?affiliate=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:
DCG wrote:
(as shown on live panoramic map) ... the link to Cervinia is closed ...

Can be checked here ...... https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Zermatt-ski-area/Ski-map?affiliate=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch=1&ref=https://www.zermatt.ch

That's what I was referring to
snow report
Run28 wrote:
Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking, it didn't make sense to buy a full week, when the chances of going over every day are slim, it adds up when there are a few of us.
snow conditions
@biddpyat, Today the Cervinia website is showing links to Zermatt open ... https://www.cervinia.it/inverno/home ... the past few days its been mainly closed, and even the link to Cervinia from Valtournenche has been on/off. I'm out in Cervinia from 22nd Jan and I'll wait to see weather/conditions/forecast before I buy the Zermatt extension, probably on a day by day basis.
snow conditions
DCG wrote:

From facebook, the route via Theodulpass goes over a snow ramp that has collapsed: -

snow conditions
Yes. That is the route that brings you into Switzerland from Italy from the top of the chairlifts above Plan Maison. It probably is not too huge a job to fix it in some way but I don’t know if there are any plans to do it during the ski season or they will leave it until the summer. It is a bit of a faff if you don’t realise it is closed and you are up there. You have to ski back down to Plan Maison and then take the gondola followed by the cable car up to Testa Grigia.

You can still ski from Switzerland into Italy through that pass - that route is the one those skiers are on.
ski holidays
@Wildsmith, @JohnMo, I wish i hadn't read that! I don't particularly enjoy that route and always control my speed until well through the bend. Once had to rescue someone part way along it as they had a panic attack. Do you know when it collapsed? Were people on it at the time?
ski holidays
@JohnMo, Presumably this is what caused the issue that @OTS raised in the other thread about the link being closed back on 1st Jan
latest report
Can anybody tell me if there is a restaurant at the top of the Plain Maison gondola?
snow report
Yes there are a couple. In the main building itself Lo Stambeco has cafe bar and a hotel restaurant and directly outside there is Rock Nere (Resto, Bar and Bistro) plus Biata Tuktu (UP).
snow report
@Wildsmith, Thanks. Going late March so good to know. I have been before but it was a long time ago.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you re meeting a pedestrian it is "walkable" to/from Chalet Etoile too on the skimo track (ie away from the piste)
ski holidays
Just planning to dump the wife at a restaurant while I go off skiing.
ski holidays
so many things come to mind but I'll settle on this allegorical post: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162935#5070161

Also if you are planning on dumping her, Cervinia is quite good - eg you could meet again at Testa Grigia, Chalet Etoile, Baita Cretaz... then do more skiing. Assuming you mean parking not fly-tipping that is.
snow report
@Wildsmith, I’d give Baita Cretaz a miss, based on our experience last year. We walked out due to poor food quality. Chalet Etoile with a pair on snow shoes if not skiing. Worth the trip.
ski holidays
DCG wrote:
@Wildsmith, @JohnMo, I wish i hadn't read that! I don't particularly enjoy that route and always control my speed until well through the bend. Once had to rescue someone part way along it as they had a panic attack. Do you know when it collapsed? Were people on it at the time?

It seems to have collapsed quite early in the season. There are no reports of anyone being on it at the time.

It is going to cause some problems. If you are at the Theodul hut at 4 pm thinking you can just ski back to Switzerland, only to be told you have to do the ski to Plan Maison and then two major lifts up to Testa Grigia, which will get you up there way past last lift, what are you going to do? Your choices are: (1) hotel in Italy for the night; (2) taxi back to Zermat for several hundred euro; or (3) take off your skis and walk for about 100 yards along the fairly level Switzerland into Italy trail? The last one is of course totally against the lift company rules.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
or (3) take off your skis and walk for about 100 yards along the fairly level Switzerland into Italy trail? The last one is of course totally against the lift company rules.

What a good idea! It's wide enough to do that without being a hazard and not uncommon to see people walking up a piste in other situations (missed a turn or overshot a lift).
It would certainly be worth considering as an alternative to the official route (once re-instated) for nervous skiers
snow report
Folks, I’m off to Zermatt for 8 nights B&B with my wife on Jan 28. We’ve got everything but ski hire sorted. Can anybody recommend any companies? We need boots, skis, and poles. Our Summit lessons come with 20% off Bayard Sport, I don’t know whether to just go with them. For what it’s worth, this is our first ski holiday and we’re very much in the beginner or early intermediate territory (done all our skiing in a giant fridge in Manchester). Thanks for any recommendations.
latest report
Firstly, you are going to love Zermatt. It’s a fantastic resort. We love Julen Sport which is next door to Le Petit Cervin, opposite the ice rink. They always have a brilliant ski selection.

Also, Summit is a brilliant ski school.

Good choices.
ski holidays
@Run28, thank you, I’ll take a look at Julen Sport. And yeah, we’re really looking forward to it. That said, after seeing some restaurant menus and (more importantly!) prices, I’m sort of regretting not getting an Airbnb! Anyway, I’ll just have to close my eyes when the bill comes. Also, if anybody has any tips, we’re hoping to do a little hiking while we’re there, but haven’t done any research yet.
ski holidays
@inthecold, summit are good. Had my first lesson in 30 years with them 2 years ago. Julens you will find own a lot of stuff in Zermatt. Bayard sport is an excellent ski shop, however always take my own so not much use here. If you want post another thread under resorts, not snow forecasts and if you want any recommendations I and probably others would be pleased to help out. We’re there from the 4thFeb. It is in my view the best resort I have been to in 50years. You should have a great time
ski holidays
@twoodwar, ah, sorry to those expecting a snow/weather update. My mistake. And thanks, good to know! I wanted something spectacular to get my wife on board with the new hobby, so hoping it all goes to plan.
latest report
inthecold wrote:
Folks, I’m off to Zermatt for 8 nights B&B with my wife on Jan 28. We’ve got everything but ski hire sorted. Can anybody recommend any companies? We need boots, skis, and poles. Our Summit lessons come with 20% off Bayard Sport, I don’t know whether to just go with them. For what it’s worth, this is our first ski holiday and we’re very much in the beginner or early intermediate territory (done all our skiing in a giant fridge in Manchester). Thanks for any recommendations.

Bayard sport have a Stockli rental fleet, the Rolls Royce of Swiss skis. You won’t go wrong renting from there and the 20% will make it marginally less painful!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy