Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2022-2023

Poster: A snowHead
hd wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Fairly inevitable after such a dump of wet snow. Can’t have been fun even where it was snow rather than rain. However it all helps build up the base.

Any snow in town following rainmaggedon?

There is some snow lying in town but not as much as 48 hours ago and it all looks a bit grotty. Not if widespread interest but the potential opening of the cross country skiing in Täsch and Randa has been pushed back somewhat.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I arrive in Zermatt today. Which areas/runs have the best snow given its been raining so much? Is this going to be a disaster? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gturkish, Cervinia
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JohnMo, sad to hear
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gturkish wrote:
I arrive in Zermatt today. Which areas/runs have the best snow given its been raining so much? Is this going to be a disaster? Puzzled

The rain was unpleasant low down and the wet snow would not have been nice to ski in but it has added to the base. Anywhere above the home runs (which nobody skis on except to go home) should be good.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. About to go up to sunnega. Fingers crossed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Out to Cervinia in just over a week would love at update of how it’s shaping up?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was icy as expected. I thought more pistes will be open but officially over 80 kms are available ATM. Basically you could only ski in one direction in Rothorn area.
11 12 13 and 14 were closed, no access to Hohtalli.
I remembered black 25 as an interesting narrow and steep short piste. Now it is boiler plate, especially on its last part. It was either this or poling on red 26 (27 was closed too, no access from there to Gornergrat). It's still better than being at work.
BTW, no queues in Sunnegga Rothorn sector. I'm impressed, I still remember Verbier in the same week some years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @drporat for that feedback. I have not skied the area before so not entirely clear on whats open and whats not but the question right now is whether to go for the area pass or just Cervinia. Will the area pass open up areas with skiable pistes across the border in Zermatt? I am going to buy my pass with the TO before I go out as this seems the cheaper option unless anyone says otherwise? As you say will always beat being at work even if it only a short breat (5 nights).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RetroBod, it is very windy up top today so the link is closed. Forecast is for that to die down over the next couple of days. If you are only there 5 nights you are probably better off just buying an extension to take you over to Zermatt on a day you want to go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JohnMo, great advice thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good advice indeed. You can use Matterhorn app, it has a Panorama submenu that shows you what's open.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If staying on the Italian side it is better to use the Cervinia app. The Matterhorn app will show everything on the Italian side as closed if the link over is closed.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1537364601
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So last minute advice on whether to hire skis or continue on my own. Ie are there many rocks showing through yet?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RetroBod wrote:
So last minute advice on whether to hire skis or continue on my own. Ie are there many rocks showing through yet?

Not out myself for another week but I can’t imagine there is any off piste worth attempting. There are no itineraries open yet. There will be no rocks on piste.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, Thanks. not a big off pister as broke my leg last year so still taking it easy. First obstacle to avoid however is Covid with half the family coming down with it! Albeit milder than 2 years ago I dont want to be abroad with it!
snow report
There isn't enough snow to open even the luge piste.
I don't ski off piste but in Cervinia sector above Plan Maison they had enough deep snow between the pistes to safely and enjoyably traverse.
All in all, the Italian area was more fun this time.
Black 62 coming from Furgg to the village was boiler plate even yesterday. Reminded me of going post FIS event in Tignes on Face (only happened once, for obvious reasons)
ski holidays
This sounds grim.

Quote:
Starting today, Thursday, December 29, 2022, increasing winds from the westerly to southwesterly direction are to be expected. Wind peaks will reach over 80 km/h between Friday, December 30, 2022 and Monday, January 02, 2023.

For this reason, restrictions on rail and slope operations are to be expected. This will mainly affect the glacier area. It must be assumed that the connection to Cervinia cannot be used until Monday, January 02, 2023 due to the strong winds.

We ask guests to inform themselves about the respective situation before starting their skiing day.
ski holidays
Arrive Tuesday so hopefully a bit calmer by then. Bought a local pass for now on recommendation of yourself @JohnMo, we will see whats what when we get there. As an aside I dont suppose the lift pass gets ativated late afternoon. I know I have had this in some other resorts. I was hoping to get a few turns late Tuesday afternoon......
latest report
I have never heard of that. You can buy a half day pass (although it is much more than half the price of a full day pass).
snow report
Yes in both Soll and Sallbach you lift pass gets activated early. Always useful to know when dusting off the cobwebs!
latest report
Hi folks,

Can someone in Zermatt right now let me know how the conditions are? I am arriving in Zermatt next weekend, and plan on skiing from January 9th - January 14th. My friends who were in Zermatt last week/now (they go there a few times every year) said the conditions/snow and skiing were terrible. I cannot change my flights, but I can go anywhere else in the alps (via car/train). However, I wanted to hear how Zermatt was from people that were currently there before changing my plans and going to Val-d'Isère or St. Moritz. Furthermore, if I choose not to go to Zermatt, do any of you have suggestions of other places I could go to in the alps in an attempt to find the the best conditions.
snow report
@SimpleSkier92, I can only talk about last week 'cause that's when I was there. The conditions weren't good but definitely not terrible.
The rain wasn't limited to Zermatt and everything was rather boiler plate but the south facing reds from Rothorn were a treat even then. This is a better week everywhere
I imagine @JohnMo will have updated info, I would choose according to the distance from the airport as well. OTOH, I have been to EK many times and Zermatt was high on my check list.
Enjoy, wherever you'll get to!
snow report
@SimpleSkier92, Cervinia's website ... https://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/home

Lots of details and info.
snow conditions
Anyone out in Cervinia this week? An inhumanely early start this morning on our way to Turin. Hoping to get a cheeky ski this afternoon Eh oh!
snow report
Better forecast on latest gfs run. Better prospects, let’s hope it holds snowHead

snow conditions
SimpleSkier92 wrote:
Hi folks,

Can someone in Zermatt right now let me know how the conditions are? I am arriving in Zermatt next weekend, and plan on skiing from January 9th - January 14th. My friends who were in Zermatt last week/now (they go there a few times every year) said the conditions/snow and skiing were terrible. I cannot change my flights, but I can go anywhere else in the alps (via car/train). However, I wanted to hear how Zermatt was from people that were currently there before changing my plans and going to Val-d'Isère or St. Moritz. Furthermore, if I choose not to go to Zermatt, do any of you have suggestions of other places I could go to in the alps in an attempt to find the the best conditions.

I think it is fair to say there is nowhere in Europe that is having a great season so far. There have been high temperatures and quite a lot of rain in most places. I am not back out in Zermatt until Thursday so I can’t say for certain what it is like although I do follow what is going on there closely. The things that Zermatt has is that: (a) it is very high; (b) it has a lot of snowmaking; and (c) on the Swiss side most of the pistes are north facing. Therefore, it tends to cope with the conditions Europe has had better than most.

It is hard to compare different resorts as you would really need to have one person doing all of them. Often when you get a report you are getting the natural optimism or pessimism of the person posting – or in the case of some posters they act as the paramilitary wing of their favourite resort’s tourist office. From what I can tell Verbier (where I will be skiing a lot this month) is a bit better than Zermatt. But I am not sure the difference is sufficiently large to change bookings.

Here is a report posted today by Martin Jordan who is the SCGB rep out in Zermatt at present. He is a natural optimist but he is someone whose opinion I would respect.

Quote:

Ignore the doubters , doomsters and gloomsters, as some geezer said. Zermatt is buzzing! Saw an article yesterday in the Times about lack of snow in the Alps. It mentioned that 50% of the Zermatt runs were closed. This is rubbish…
I’m fresh off the slopes today and I can tell you that at least 80 % are open. All the links between the various ski areas are open. The pistes are in great condition although some of the home runs can be icy in the late afternoon. The off piste? Well, there isn’t any to talk of.
Today we started by getting the train to Gonergrat, and skied down to Furi. The home runs are great first thing. There we took a democratic decision that it would be fun to go to Italy.
The snow over the Cervinia side is fantastic, as good as pistes get. We blasted down the long run to Valtouneche, and stopped at Willys for a hot chocolate as is traditional.
Then went back up via the new 6 man lift that has replaced the poma, hurrah.
We flew down no 7 to Cervinia, love that run , then rushed back up for lunch at the Rifugio Teodulo.
Was tempted to have one of their famous tomahawk steaks, but resisted it.
If you thinking of some on-piste skiing , Zermatt would be a great choice.
ski holidays
Quote:

sounds like Cervinia might be an even better choice!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnMo Thanks for the insight here. It is really quite helpful. Glad to hear to the Cervinia link is open again!
latest report
SimpleSkier92 wrote:
@JohnMo Thanks for the insight here. It is really quite helpful. Glad to hear to the Cervinia link is open again!

It has not been closed much this season. Even this last weekend when the winds were predicted to be dreadful and they were expecting to close the link, it stayed open.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

sounds like Cervinia might be an even better choice!

At this time of year I ski over to Cervinia very regularly in any case. Skiing all day in the sun is extremely nice. Skiing back over to Switzerland at the end of the day can seem dark and cold. If the snow is slightly better on the Italian side even more reason to go there. The second SCGB rep says the piste down to Valtournenche is in the best condition she has ever seen it. That surprises me as, lovely as the run is, it can get really icy and slushy. I look forward to testing it out myself in the next few days.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
SimpleSkier92 wrote:

It has not been closed much this season. Even this last weekend when the winds were predicted to be dreadful and they were expecting to close the link, it stayed open.

Did you see this other thread, JohnMo?
ski holidays
DCG wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
SimpleSkier92 wrote:

Did you see this other thread, JohnMo?

No. What was it about?
latest report
@JohnMo, Forgot to post the link!
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162588&highlight=
snow report
DCG wrote:
@JohnMo, Forgot to post the link!
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162588&highlight=

That is a bit strange. I tend to look at the lifts every morning over a cup of coffee and they have been open almost all the time. There seems to be a suggestion that they were open one way but not the other which I have never heard of - and I can’t see how it could be done. Theodulpass being closed while Test Grigia being open I can just about imagine (although I have never seen it). Theodulpass can get icy and wind scraped - much more so than Testa Grigia, despite the latter being higher. All very odd.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
SimpleSkier92 wrote:

It is hard to compare different resorts as you would really need to have one person doing all of them. Often when you get a report you are getting the natural optimism or pessimism of the person posting – or in the case of some posters they act as the paramilitary wing of their favourite resort’s tourist office.

This should be a sticky on these pages for people torturing themselves about conditions

Its like that fable of the dog with the bone looking at the reflection in the river
snow conditions
The views and the food and beer are all still good. People ski in summer in Zermatt. It will be substantially better than than that and due to the height and northerly facing aspect, better off than most other resorts. That’s the way I am looking at it.
snow report
2/3cm of wind blown fresh this morning is no season changer but when skies cleared we had a cracking day. Pistes holding up well and have now skied twice down to the bottom of Valtournenche at 1500m albeit on man made soup this afternoon!
latest report
Good to hear @RetroBod, where are the best conditions at the moment then, is it all on the Italian side?
snow conditions
@Russeh, Only here for 5 nights so not bothering to go over to Zermatt. We are making the most of our days here in Cervinia having travelled 60miles today (lifts inc obs). I feel the sun on the pistes here make for a good ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy