Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2022-2023

Poster: A snowHead
jebroni3_16 wrote:

Any update on this, please and thanks in advance?

The 10th/11th crazy peaks have settled down - they almost always do. More importantly conditions are great and there is a lot more coming down over the next 48 hours. Everywhere should benefit but the Italian side will do best. Valtournenche is looking very good for first week of December. Some years they can still be sketchy at Xmas. Further down the valley from Valtournenche a couple of the small ski areas are opening as well.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great news - i was really concerned at the start of november. now just to work some skiing into the calendar Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twoodwar wrote:
@jebroni3_16, your wish is granted.
Better still go on the Zermatt website and look at the webcams. Town is now white over, and still coming down

Very kind, many thanks.

I did have a look at Zermatt's own website and various other forecasts, but had my interest particularly piqued by the graph you posted before and wondered what that was saying now with us just a week away.

Appreciate both your and @JohnMo's responses Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
twoodwar wrote:
@jebroni3_16, at £90 a night, the Zermatt tourist office will be trying to close them down Toofy Grin

Forgot to ask before: what makes you say this?

Do the tourist office genuinely operate some sort of control over accommodation costs?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, it just seems like that. Certainly not to my knowledge. A joke attack. The joke must be on me as I keep going back at least every other year Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How are the conditions shaping up in Cervinia? ANy one with boots on the piste out there? Looking to book a cheeky break for 5 nights 3rd Jan?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was there from last Friday to Sunday, it snowed all day Saturday, they had a few runs closed, but they seemed to have snow. Zermatt we skiied on Friday as it was sunny on that side and cloudy low light in Cervina,. We skied the glacier and there was only one run open down to Furg, the snow over the weekend though will probably open a lot more .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RetroBod, Crowd of us going tomorrow afternoon, I’ll post up re conditions. Looks good from the webcams.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stevo55 wrote:
@RetroBod, Crowd of us going tomorrow afternoon, I’ll post up re conditions. Looks good from the webcams.
Thanks. Very jealous!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
biddpyat wrote:
I was there from last Friday to Sunday, it snowed all day Saturday, they had a few runs closed, but they seemed to have snow. Zermatt we skiied on Friday as it was sunny on that side and cloudy low light in Cervina,. We skied the glacier and there was only one run open down to Furg, the snow over the weekend though will probably open a lot more .

A lot is open now. On the piste map below anything that has its number on is an open piste.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowed most of yesterday, the slopes are in great condition, snow cannons firing as well. Very flat light though but clear blue skies and perfect conditions this morning. Very busy on the mountain and in the town. Dragon pub was packed for the footy, will be even more so tonight!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, how are the conditions on the ground in Zermatt this morning?

Not long discovered that my flight to Geneve from Birmingham this lunchtime has been cancelled and am trying to work out whether to try and get out there from another airport (although won't make the morning flight from Manchester, afternoon / evening flights from Manchester / Liverpool both get in too late to get the train to Zermatt and then there's the issue of return flights being less convenient too)

Decisions, decisions... Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stay at ibis by Geneva airport tonight. Get an early train. Into Zermatt by lunchtime. The ibis has an airport shuttle.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or get train to Visp (last train ten to 11) and stop in Visp and get early train up to Zermatt.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. I'd worked that much out, but both of those still involve me getting to Manchester or Liverpool to get a flight, and changing my return flights to less convenient ones. However, having just realised that my travel insurance is worth almost nothing, that's a lot more likely than it was about 2 hours ago.

Have had a photo from a very cold piste from @skidm so have now seen what the conditions are like at least!
snow report
This weekend will see the Hirli lift over past Schwarzsee open (and some of the pistes coming down from there) plus the Kumme lift on the north side of Rothorn (and pistes coming down from there). They are also opening the home runs down from Sunnegga and the pistes from Riffelberg to Furi.

It has been a pretty good start. Let’s hope if continues. It might be hard to remember now but the season started well last year - it just then stalled and never really got restarted.
ski holidays
Good to hear re the Kümme lift. Like skiing over there, it used to be very quiet before the avalanche swept the old lift away. Looking forward to seeing what it’s like
latest report
The Kumme area is much improved by that Gondola. When they put the new lift in they got permission to put snowmaking in. So it opens much earlier than it used to. It often wouldn’t open to the new year - particularly the latter part of the run going down to Tuftern.
snow conditions
@JohnMo, you sound like you know your way around! We're staying in Cervinia and had a run to Switzerland today. Skied from Schwarzsee to Furi, intending to take the gondola to Riffelburg. In the end, we took the new, multi stop lift back, because it was there and we couldn't see any signs for the Riffelburg lift. Is it far? Is there a free ski bus? There were some electric taxis around but we didn't have any francs. Do they take cards? We're hoping to have another day there tomorrow if the weather is good.
latest report
@maggi, Oh no. That is. Pity. If you are skiing from Schwarzsee to Furi you come to this lift station. You must have gone to the left hand side (A) and taken the gondola that goes back up to Schwarzsee and then on to Trockener Steg.

What you should have done is gone into the building on the right (B). In that building there are three lifts (actually 4 but one isn’t running at present). The left hand side is the gondola going down to Zermatt (other side of the one you took). On the right hand side is the large cable car to Trockener Steg. It only runs at very busy times (or in high winds). The lift in the centre is the Riffelberg Express gondola. That is the one you want. It heads down to the lower Furi station (just stay on board) and then up to Riffelberg.

snow report
Thank you so much. You are a star! snowHead
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
Thank you so much. You are a star! snowHead

Just thinking about your comment about taxis being around. Are you sure you didn’t ski past Furi and on to Zermatt? There are always taxis down there but there are not often taxis up at Furi.

If you do happen to ski down to Zermatt just get the gondola back up to Furi, come out of the lift station and turn left to head in to the building I describe above.
latest report
@JohnMo, a star and a genius! We were in Zermatt yesterday, Google timeline confirmed, (signing was rubbish). We followed your instructions and got it right today, so thanks.
On topic, weather is sunny!
snow report
Some nice skiing conditions over the next few days. But I am beginning to consider getting excited about Wednesday onwards. Snowline might be high but should be OK for the Zermatt and Cervinia ski areas.

ski holidays
Due out on 3rd Jan for a cheeky short break. Can you give me a view of what skiing is like at the moment?
snow report
Well that is annoying. Thursday’s precipitation looks like it is barely going to make it over. Fingers crossed for the weekend.

ski holidays
@JohnMo, from Snow Forecast I understand that rain is expected in the village this weekend?
snow report
drporat wrote:
@JohnMo, from Snow Forecast I understand that rain is expected in the village this weekend?

I am afraid that looks likely. Those temperatures are rather high throughout the period of precipitation. Anything up to 2000m is likely to be rain during the day. Zermatt is 1620m. Fortunately (ignoring the home runs) the Zermatt and Cervinia ski area is above 2000m so should be good for snow cover. Bit miserable for Xmas in the village though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More pistes opening on the Swiss side:

Thursday , 22. December 2022
* chairlift Eisfluh
* Piste Nr. 5 Eisfluh
* Piste Nr. 28 White Hare
Friday, 23. December 2022
* Piste Nr. 62 Furgg - Furi
Saturday, 24. December 2022
* chairlift Furgg - Sandiger Boden
* Piste Nr. 54 Hörnli
* Piste Nr. 25 Berter
* Piste Nr. 2 Ried
* Piste Nr. 2a Riedweg

A few nice blacks in there and the much loved red 28 down from Hohtälli down to Gant.
latest report
Sorry for going off topic, but this looks like the best place to get local info.
Going to Zermatt with my brother in law. Saw the places on the mountain earlier in this thread. What are the good places for dinner? Good sized portions also a consideration (I remember finishing dinner in a nice resto in Zermatt and going straight to McDonald's, as portions were miniscule, but that was 20 years ago)
latest report
Mazot
latest report
Decent sized portions of fondue to be had in PÖSTLI STÜBLI in the Unique Hotel Post, my son , who can eat, couldn’t finish his fondue even with me helping.

Also the schnitzel in Restaurant Alpenhof in Hotel Alpenhof was great. The place has just been renovated and reopened just over a month ago.

Neither badly priced at all (for Zermatt) but Postli Stubli does charge for tap water. Sad
snow report
Just returning to UK after short trip to Cervinia.
Conditions excellent for both Zermatt and Cervinia
Valtournech area very quiet and lovely snow, skied right down to bottom station with no issues
ski holidays
Some good stuff over the next 48 hours. This is the MeteoSwiss radar projection for 19.00 Friday evening.

ski holidays
Fairly inevitable after such a dump of wet snow. Can’t have been fun even where it was snow rather than rain. However it all helps build up the base.

latest report
@Listening, try Grampis pizza restaurant. Decent value and decent quantities, given you are in Zermatt obviously!
snow conditions
Sparkys too. Not flash but excellent food,run but Sparky from the Channel Islands.Grizzleys as well. All what I would call basic food to a decent standard. Our main meal is late lunch at the many fantastic mountain restaurants.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
Fairly inevitable after such a dump of wet snow. Can’t have been fun even where it was snow rather than rain. However it all helps build up the base.

Any snow in town following rainmaggedon?
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Sparkys too. Not flash but excellent food,run but Sparky from the Channel Islands.Grizzleys as well. All what I would call basic food to a decent standard. Our main meal is late lunch at the many fantastic mountain restaurants.

Sparkys is closed I am afraid. Nothing new has opened in those premises yet.
snow conditions
I believe Sparky works in Grizzly’s now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy