Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2022-2023

Poster: A snowHead
Yes glad I’m not booked to arrive till Feb! Nothing in this mornings run suggests any help either Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very sad to see the cancellation. Am I reading it correctly that its been pushed to the first weekend of November?

A few more weeks hopefully allows things to settle down.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Run28 wrote:
Very sad to see the cancellation. Am I reading it correctly that its been pushed to the first weekend of November?

The first weekend in November are the womens’ races which are still scheduled. I doubt they’d re-schedule the mens for then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ster wrote:
Run28 wrote:

The first weekend in November are the womens’ races which are still scheduled. I doubt they’d re-schedule the mens for then.

Inspection for the women’s race tomorrow (Tuesday 25). I fear that will go the same way and be cancelled.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks like the have got the piste to reach the finish line - surely they know how to ski slush Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wildsmith wrote:
It looks like the have got the piste to reach the finish line - surely they know how to ski slush Very Happy

It would be an interesting event: race skis to the end of the glacier and then strip them off and put on wider slush cutters to get to the finish. I would definitely watch!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Autumn ski area is not yet open (usually would be by now) but the piste bashers are working hard this morning with the fresh overnight snow to try to get it ready. There is a large longitudinal crevasse between the part of the glacier that flows down from Testa Grigia (left of the photo) and the part that flows down from Furggsattel (right of the photo). Obviously the part of that that intrudes onto the piste (not much of it) will need to be filled in. It is a good warning that in early season it is best not to duck under the ropes they have on the side of the piste where it runs on the glacier.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnMo wrote:
The Autumn ski area is not yet open (usually would be by now) but the piste bashers are working hard this morning with the fresh overnight snow to try to get it ready. There is a large longitudinal crevasse between the part of the glacier that flows down from Testa Grigia (left of the photo) and the part that flows down from Furggsattel (right of the photo). Obviously the part of that that intrudes onto the piste (not much of it) will need to be filled in. It is a good warning that in early season it is best not to duck under the ropes they have on the side of the piste where it runs on the glacier.

Morning John,

Is this normally the area where the freestyle park is during the winter? I assume that will cause problems for its opening?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Run28 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

Morning John,

Is this normally the area where the freestyle park is during the winter? I assume that will cause problems for its opening?

The freestyle park is more in that area you can see to the top right up from the upper piste bashers where they have scraped off snow to put it on the piste. Once they get the Autumn ski area open they will start working on that (not due to open for several weeks yet). As long as it snows Eh oh! it should be OK.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooh, ooh. Sorry about multi posting this morning but they have the Furggsattel chairlift running (not open yet of course). That means it can’t be long now. Come on: do it.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well and that's the women's opening speed races in Zermatt/Cervinia also cancelled now due to warm weather

https://www.fis-ski.com/en/alpine-skiing/alpine-news-multimedia/news-multimedia/news/season-22-23/women-s-audi-fis-world-cup-races-in-zermatt-cervinia-cancelled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
is it unseasonably warm just now?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kj82 wrote:

Ironically “Frozen ski lifts” is the reason given that they will not be open or spinning tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kj82 wrote:

I am afraid it really is. Just look at those forecast temperatures and how they compare to the average for this time of year. OK this is for Zermatt and not up in the mountains but it is consistently mid teens when it should be in single digits. Up on Gornegrat it is not forecast to go below zero all week (including at night). That is at 3,000m.

Even if the temperatures fall and precipitation comes the ground really needs to cool for a decent base to start forming.

It is making for lovely walking weather – although ironically the wife slipped on ice and landed on her backside coming down from Riffelberg today. That was of course on the all day shade part of the mountain.

The only good news is that the Klein Matterhorn temperatures have stayed low – not getting above freezing even during the day. It does mean the heavy precipitation of the last few days should have made conditions nice. As @ster has pointed out stage one is that the heavy fresh snow and freezing temperatures have frozen up the drag lifts. Once they get them going it should be good

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnMo wrote:
As @ster has pointed out stage one is that the heavy fresh snow and freezing temperatures have frozen up the drag lifts. Once they get them going it should be good

Fingers crossed its by Thursday morning when we’re there, hopefully, to ski!
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Ooh, just seen on the Cervinia Facebook page that this season they are building a new piste (34) to connect the Cieloalto area to the ski lifts up to Plan Maison. Don’t be fooled by “bis 16” on the map - up until now if you skied into Cieloalto you had to walk through town to get back to the Plan Maison area. For that reason I hardly ever went there, which was a pity as on a good snow day those blacks are lovely.

Here is the new piste map showing the new piste 34. Really looking forward to skiing that area more this season.

There are going to be some interesting decisions to be made by intermediates. If you make it down to Cieloalto on the reds and want to head back over to the town do you get the lift up and ski the black to the red 34 or do you play safe and do the unpleasant walk through town?

latest report
JohnMo wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Ooh, just seen on the Cervinia Facebook page that this season they are building a new piste (34) to connect the Cieloalto area to the ski lifts up to Plan Maison. Don’t be fooled by “bis 16” on the map - up until now if you skied into Cieloalto you had to walk through town to get back to the Plan Maison area. For that reason I hardly ever went there, which was a pity as on a good snow day those blacks are lovely.

Here is the new piste map showing the new piste 34. Really looking forward to skiing that area more this season.

There are going to be some interesting decisions to be made by intermediates. If you make it down to Cieloalto on the reds and want to head back over to the town do you get the lift up and ski the black to the red 34 or do you play safe and do the unpleasant walk through town?

are those blacks 'black'? i think i've only skied them a few times but can't recall them being 'black'?
snow conditions
Kj82 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

are those blacks 'black'? i think i've only skied them a few times but can't recall them being 'black'?

The poles are black. The pistes are pretty steep - I certainly wouldn’t send an intermediate up that chair. I think they are designated black because of the steep parts - I can’t remember any particularly narrow bits that would make them feel they had to designate them black.
snow conditions
The weather has cleared up a treat and the pistes that are open are in decent condition. It looks set fair for the next few days, very lucky us.
latest report
ster wrote:
The weather has cleared up a treat and the pistes that are open are in decent condition. It looks set fair for the next few days, very lucky us.

The pistes up on the top glacier are in superb condition: lovely grippy snow from top to bottom. I skied until 3 o’clock today and even then there was no ice or slush to be seen. They have the exit down to Trockener Steg open – that is a lot nicer way of leaving (for those on the Swiss side; those on the Italian side leave at Testa Grigia as always). However, as soon as you are off glacier (about 300m from Trockener Steg, just where there is an uphill section) you hit pure slush – not pleasant. The pistes running down from Furggsattel (mainly on the lower glacier) are looking very good and they must be due to open soon – I imagine either tomorrow or the weekend.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
The pistes running down from Furggsattel (mainly on the lower glacier) are looking very good and they must be due to open soon – I imagine either tomorrow or the weekend.

Are those the ones they were bashing today?
snow conditions
ster wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
The pistes running down from Furggsattel (mainly on the lower glacier) are looking very good and they must be due to open soon – I imagine either tomorrow or the weekend.

Are those the ones they were bashing today?

Yes. They were still going in the dark as well.
snow conditions
Couple of more runs open today. V nice when they’d softened up a bit in the sun as early on they were making my skis and teeth chatter.
snow conditions
Should be a good Friday! snowHead

latest report
Is there any advantage to buying lift passes in advance or just wait till we get there? Going in March...
Thanks
snow report
viciousvulture wrote:
Is there any advantage to buying lift passes in advance or just wait till we get there? Going in March...
Thanks

They operate dynamic pricing. So as a general rule tickets bought earlier are cheaper.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
viciousvulture wrote:
Thanks

They operate dynamic pricing. So as a general rule tickets bought earlier are cheaper.

It doesn't seem to be the case though.

A 6 day pass from the start of peak from 22nd Dec to 27th Dec is 423 CHF. And is also the same price at the end of the peak season from 14th March to 19th March.

There doesn't seem much incentive to buy early, although I hope in leaving it late the prices don't jump up!
latest report
@viciousvulture, those were my thoughts too but all the dates you mentioned are still far away. A last minute buy is supposed to cost more, specially in high demand weeks.
I sent an email to Zermatt Bergbahnen ticket office asking for details of the dynamic nature, that was their answer:
Thank you for your email. We are pleased to welcome you in Zermatt.
Our price system is dynamic. This means that it depends on the season and demand.
For you, this means that the earlier you book, the cheaper your ski tickets will be. There is no exact percentage that tells you how much cheaper your ski tickets are now compared to when you buy them on site.
The single trips, Peakpass and Peak2peak are not dynamic. The price remains the same online and on site.
Kind regards and see you soon in Zermatt

Anyone here has experienced the dynamic prices in the last season? How much can the prices rise for Christmas for example?
One of my considerations to wait for the last minute is the weather/visibility at altitude. My partner doesn't ski and I can always find what to do in a bad day scenario
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
drporat wrote:
@viciousvulture, those were my thoughts too but all the dates you mentioned are still far away. A last minute buy is supposed to cost more, specially in high demand weeks.
I sent an email to Zermatt Bergbahnen ticket office asking for details of the dynamic nature, that was their answer:
Thank you for your email. We are pleased to welcome you in Zermatt.
Our price system is dynamic. This means that it depends on the season and demand.
For you, this means that the earlier you book, the cheaper your ski tickets will be. There is no exact percentage that tells you how much cheaper your ski tickets are now compared to when you buy them on site.
The single trips, Peakpass and Peak2peak are not dynamic. The price remains the same online and on site.
Kind regards and see you soon in Zermatt

Anyone here has experienced the dynamic prices in the last season? How much can the prices rise for Christmas for example?
One of my considerations to wait for the last minute is the weather/visibility at altitude. My partner doesn't ski and I can always find what to do in a bad day scenario

Hmm fair enough, that's not really reflected on their site though. Even looking at buying 6 day tickets starting tomorrow compared with end of April it's still the same price.
Our group will be needing some Peakpass tickets so I guess that answers that bit.
snow conditions
viciousvulture wrote:
Even looking at buying 6 day tickets starting tomorrow compared with end of April it's still the same price.

I may be wrong, but I think you may have misunderstood what is meant by "dynamic pricing".
It's not that the price is different for different weeks, but that the price for a particular week will change over time depending on demand.
So, for example, if the first week in february has only sold 10% of capacity then the price for tickets will be relatively low, but if it goes up to say 70% then the price will rise.
It follows that the sooner you buy, the cheaper it is.
ski holidays
Supply and demand, I guess. Not many people skiing the next few days, especially when you compare it to Christmas week.
I've done Verbier at NYE a few years ago, I'm sure it won't be less crowded here for Christmas etc.
A quick search found this, with Zermatt being mentioned (above 80 CHF difference for 6 days I think)
https://www.smart-pricer.com/dynamic-pricing-for-ski-lifts-current-status-benefits-and-models/
And after watching the next Youtube interview, I fail to understand why all the major European resorts didn't implement dynamic prices yet.
It's diabolical but financially effective for the resorts Evil or Very Mad

http://youtube.com/v/48VxWGnFm-Y
As I said, having a non skier partner with me this time will influence my usually desperate stubbornness to ski in almost all condition.
I am OK with skiing less and cuddling more, if only for a day.
latest report
The snowfall has made the place look prettier and the low temperatures allowed the snow cannons to work hard on the Italian and Swiss sides. The small lake at Trockener Steg even has a thin layer of ice on it. Unfortunately the temperatures have trended above average again. Could do with a bit lower temperatures and some more precipitation in that forecast.

snow report
Zermatt glacier looking fun
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkqixGsDePg/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
snow conditions
Wow, I hope he knows what he is doing. There are a huge number of crevasses around that section. You can just about see some of them in the video. There was some great snow last weekend but not enough to create stable bridges over the crevasses. I was up there 10 days ago (very much on piste for now) and several people had got some turns in areas they really shouldn’t have - but no-one as far across as that.
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
Wow, I hope he knows what he is doing. There are a huge number of crevasses around that section. You can just about see some of them in the video. There was some great snow last weekend but not enough to create stable bridges over the crevasses. I was up there 10 days ago (very much on piste for now) and several people had got some turns in areas they really shouldn’t have - but no-one as far across as that.

He won the Freeride World Tour in 2014 so is pretty experienced although I’m sure you are right that he shouldn’t really be there this early!

Where is that?
snow report
If you come out of the top of the Klein Matterhorn lift you ski along a fairly flat section for a while and then turn right to head down to the summer ski area. He has come out of the Klein Matterhorn lift and ducked under the the rope pretty much straight away. I have tried to draw his line on the piste map. There is more room between the piste and those rock faces than the piste map would suggest. Ironically it might easier to do at present as the crevasses are still fairly easy to spot. In a few weeks time they could be filled in but not yet strong enough to take the weight of a skier/boarder.

ski holidays
looking a little whiter this morning at Trockner....
ski holidays
Yes, that precipitation that came through yesterday helped. Most of it pushed north and south. There are benefits in being high but also that can happen.

At lower levels they are trying to get the pistes ready for the end of the month. You can see the piles of manufactured snow on piste 11 coming down from Rothorn to Blauherd. That is one of the hardest to get going and keep fresh as it is south facing.

Temperatures are heading back up to the crazy heights again. However mid month looks more hopeful for lower temperatures and the sort of unsettled weather that can bring repeated precipitation.

snow conditions
thats a great run down from memory.... in April with the sun shining.

12 C in Nov is rather unsettling.
ski holidays
Maybe not the right specific thread for this Zermatt question so please excuse my ignorance if so…Has anyone skied Zermatt this month, or is perhaps still there? From their website, it looks like the Schwarzee/Matterhorn glacier side has opened though with not all lifts operational. Also Breuil-Cervinia has opened on that interconnecting side it seems as well. We’re arriving in Zermatt for the first time ever on the 18-Nov and staying until 26-Nov. Am wondering whether to pre-purchase the Zermatt only pass for 6 days which I know would only give me access to the above opened section, or stump up the additional CHF for the Cervinia section as well.
Is there currently enough runs open on Schwarzee to keep one entertained for 5-6 days as an advanced intermediate, or would it be better to add the Cervinia component? Or is the current snow cover situation such that it may be better to wait until arrival and assess conditions on a day by day basis?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy