Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Jonpim wrote:
stevew, no: more like the end of 1st ski traverse after getting off the Traverse chairlift
(a bit "Irish" I know, but you know what i mean )

So basically no skiing on the Glacier bit, and no more Chieupe ? just that red down from Traverse, + Rochu and Bellecote ( if open )

If so, that red's going to get very crowded
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eblunt, in a word: yes. Unless they do some new "sculpturing".

Of course, the new gondola will take us up to the real Bellecote glacier (or at least what remains of it)
The present gondola takes us to the Glacier de la Chiaupe, hence the name of the black run.

Just what they are going to do with the slope under the new gondola is not clear at all.
Keeping Rochu and Bellecote open a bit more would be a good start. They are both quite excellent runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
boredsurfin, my version of the email seems slightly different:

............................ Our Flash sale is back! .................................
Be prepared : it’ll soon be the moment to get 10% off your holidays pass!

Don’t miss out on the flash sale from 3rd to 18th November only.

I can't tell whether the flash sale applies to season passes .. I.E is €730 for paradiski a 10% reduction ?

Just trying to judge whether I need to press the trigger before 18 Nov
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blunt, https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/vente-flash
Quote:
10% discount on your 6, 7 or 8-day passes! Limited offer from the 3rd to the 18th of November
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eblunt, Season Passes have no further reduction.

@Jonpim, 200m lower according to this article

Quote:

Its glaciers are running out, its high slopes are depleting on the slopes and the permafrost is disintegrating... Then the busiest resort in the world (2.5 million days/skiers) will dismantle its summit facilities at 3250 m above sea level, to peak 200 meters lower, on the other landscaped slope of the Bellecôte' She has already erected her new gondola that next year will lift skiers to its new, healthier summit. Report.

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2022/11/09/face-au-climat-la-plagne-descend-de-son-piedestal

I'm not surprised there was very little left of the Chiaupe Glacier this summer. Its like an ice cube the smaller it gets the faster it melts, sad but that's the way it is. I have fond memories of taking my Mother in Law up there to visit the Ice grotto 8 years ago, not long after her new hip and suffered from Vertigo but she was determined to go! Chatting to the guys that built it they thought they only had one or two seasons left. They were right!

Interesting comment below that Dauphine article on Fb.
Quote:
Laurent Delcourt
The issue seems mainly political (new route is no longer on the municipality of Champagny) and economic (significant decrease in the skiable area, therefore cheaper to operate). The renovation of the existing was possible (cf detailed proposal consultable at the town hall) but was not retained by the SAP. Some of Bellecôte's best off-track routes will therefore no longer be accessible by gravity, it remains to be hoped that the "crossing" will be secured for hiking ski access. However, the new route will allow very easy access to certain corridors that can be dangerous for an occasional skier. Will access to these corridors be "blocked" like, for example, the Red Needle of the Arches?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice covering of snow as low as Fornelet on the webcam this morning with more to come over the weekend and into next week https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/webcam-montalbert-fornelet
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice to see the white cams. Fingers crossed this is the base for the season. We are heading out on 16th December. It will probably all melt and dump again twice before then
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, boredsurfin, and not just snow, but Cold as well.
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/la-plagne-2000-m/731502
Getting just a wee bit excited . . .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonpim, Snowmaking in Montalbert this morning snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So there was! And elsewhere.
Indeed, all over as far as I can see.
(The ability to look back on the webcams is so useful snowHead )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And snow now down to Montalbert and Montchavin.
https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/webcams/montalbert
Looking good snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
And snow now down to Montalbert and Montchavin
View of the mountains around Albertville this afternoon (en-route to Tignes) Very Happy

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, always good if you can see snow on the hills from there.
Even better if you can see snow at Montmélian when the A41 peels off and the A43 veers left to head up the valley to Albertville.
A welcome sight and the long journey nearly over.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Passes arrived in the post today - franked 24/11 so I guess we'll have to go skiing soon Very Happy
Montalbert almost covered in snow now - which is better than some previous years snowHead
and looks like a few snowstorms over the next few days ....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad you got your pass boredsurfin.
Then there is the anxious moment come next Saturday of "will it? won't it? work" as you approach the first lift barrier of the season.
MeteoFrance forecasting "snowstorms" from next Thursday for the following week - could be fun if that comes off.
snow report
Sometimes the Weather Gods giveth.
The forecasts for today suggest no snow or "quelque flocons" at best.
But actually it has been snowing steadily here since 5.30 this morning. At least 10 cm so far, and still going.
Looking good.

(we arrived yesterday evening)
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Sometimes the Weather Gods giveth.
The forecasts for today suggest no snow or "quelque flocons" at best.
But actually it has been snowing steadily here since 5.30 this morning. At least 10 cm so far, and still going.
Looking good.

(we arrived yesterday evening)

Looking at the webcams it looks like it's snowing lower than a lot of the forecasts seem to be indicating it would yesterday!
snow conditions
Yes, Handy Turnip, webcams suggest snowing below Montalbert and Montchavin.

This afternoon we had some fun skiing before the lifts open (tomorrow): skinned up to top of Melezes lift and skied back down.
Well worth doing to have the Big Faff today rather than tomorrow.
So many things you forget from one year to the next: helmets, gloves, jacket, backpack . . .
I forgot top layer - had to go back up 3 flights of stairs in ski boots.
One year Mrs Pim forgot her trousers. Really. Left apartment on way to boot room with "LongJohns" but no ski pants.

It stopped snowing while we were out - now snowing hard again.

Meantime lots of cars outside sliding around.
The road up the hill has been cleared. The roads in the resort are not.
Quite entertaining.
snow report
@Jonpim, excellent. Brilliant update. We arrive in la plagne a week today. Keep the updates coming please
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

One year Mrs Pim forgot her trousers. Really. Left apartment on way to boot room with "LongJohns" but no ski pants.

It's good to know that it's not just me, then.....except I was going on the bread run at 7.30 am. Toofy Grin
snow report
“Bonjour
Les conditions de circulation sont tres compliquees. Merci d’etre prevoyants, sans equipements ce n’est pas abordable.”

Just received the above from the agents that we are renting an apartment from in Belle Plagne. We’re in a hotel in Chambery where it is currently raining and due to come up to Belle Plagne in the morning. Can I treat their warning as being a bit over the top or are we really in for “snowmaggedon” tomorrow? Could somebody already in resort please put my mind at rest? We are in a 4x4 equipped with 4 winter tyres and I have a set of snow socks just in case but no chains because of clearance issues.

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
rdsweb, I reckon you can relax over your cornflakes.
Snowmaggedon unlikely.
There's been very little snow overnight. The road up to 1800 is clear (the bit I can see from the balcony), so presumably OK up to Belle Plagne.
You should be fine with 4 wheel drive and winter tyres.
You just have to hope the muppets in other cars perform better than those we saw last night.

Meantime we can hear thuds and bangs going off all around. Could be a real fun day.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, that’s great. Thanks for the reassurance. Setting off soon so fingers crossed the new snow hasn’t brought out too many hoards Eh oh! . Can’t wait
ski holidays
According to my friends down in Longefoy it was snowing heavily yesterday morning - apparently taking the village snow plough drivers by surprise!
Good to see the Piste bashers in Montalbert on the webcam yesterday. I hope the snow plough has done our approach road by Wednesday! Cant see anything on the Montalbert webcam today because of low cloud. https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/montalbert

However the Fornelet Cam (at the top of the Montalbert lift) Looks good!
https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/webcam-montalbert-fornelet
snow report
Sat in Matafan at Belle Plagne at the moment in bright sunshine. Quietest and foggiest drive in ever. Must all be day trippers cos busy in resort and hard to park. All approach roads clear right up to Belle Plagne
ski holidays
Glad you made it rdsweb.
Despite hordes arriving last night, lifts and pistes this end of resort pleasantly quiet.
It was sunny here earlier on, but now thick cloud has come in and can't see more than 50m.

Good thing we had all that snow yesterday: pistes not covered by snowmakers already showing occasional signs of wear.
But should be fine until the next predicted snowfall on Tuesday.
snow conditions
Well, a really lovely day.
About 1 cm fell last night: just enough to keep the trees all white and sparkly.
Today was sunny in clear blue sky, but COLD.
A lovely day for skiing.
No queues, pistes relatively quiet. Just had to watch out for the odd Boys Party bombing down at warp speed.
All pistes still in good condition.
Piste Bashers not been everywhere, so some moguls on pistes that are usually flat, like Mont St Sauveur down from the Becoin chair.

Forecast is to stay cold, but not quite so cold, with days either sunny or snowy.
Fine by us.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, I couldn’t agree more. For a 68 year old whose off piste adventures are long behind him it was almost perfect except for the cold. I just about froze on the Arpette chair but the rewards coming back down were worth it. Our bit of the underground car park was busy this morning but there is not a car left (apart from ours) now so we could virtually have the place to ourselves tomorrow. Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
@ebluntIts glaciers are running out, its high slopes are depleting on the slopes and the permafrost is disintegrating... Then the busiest resort in the world (2.5 million days/skiers) will dismantle its summit facilities at 3250 m above sea level, to peak 200 meters lower, on the other landscaped slope of the Bellecôte' She has already erected her new gondola that next year will lift skiers to its new, healthier summit. Report.

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2022/11/09/face-au-climat-la-plagne-descend-de-son-piedestal

I'm not surprised there was very little left of the Chiaupe Glacier this summer. Its like an ice cube the smaller it gets the faster it melts, sad but that's the way it is. I have fond memories of taking my Mother in Law up there to visit the Ice grotto 8 years ago, not long after her new hip and suffered from Vertigo but she was determined to go! Chatting to the guys that built it they thought they only had one or two seasons left. They were right!

Interesting comment below that Dauphine article on Fb.
Quote:
Laurent Delcourt
The issue seems mainly political (new route is no longer on the municipality of Champagny) and economic (significant decrease in the skiable area, therefore cheaper to operate). The renovation of the existing was possible (cf detailed proposal consultable at the town hall) but was not retained by the SAP. Some of Bellecôte's best off-track routes will therefore no longer be accessible by gravity, it remains to be hoped that the "crossing" will be secured for hiking ski access. However, the new route will allow very easy access to certain corridors that can be dangerous for an occasional skier. Will access to these corridors be "blocked" like, for example, the Red Needle of the Arches?

Good info. We also discuss this in E163 of The Ski Podcast https://open.spotify.com/episode/1az5uC8aXajto9XW2cRTtt
snow report
rdsweb, our nemesis today was the Blanchette chair.

Resort today even quieter, but weather even colder, despite lovely clear blue sky.
Hardly anyone about. Whole lifts without anyone on. But bitterly cold.
We admitted defeat at midday and came home for some hot soup.

Maybe snow tonight, maybe not. Depends on which site you look at.
Whatever, should be a lot less cold.
snow report
@Jonpim, Yeah we had a great day too until literally the last step. As we were carrying our skis off the piste my wife tripped on the first step up to the walkway. Ended up face down on a metal drainage grill screaming. A passing French guy offered to phone “les pompiers” which he did and amazingly they were with us within 10 minutes. Very efficient examination in English and French. She had banged her head (luckily she still had her helmet on) and landed on her knee and wrist as well. They took her to Plagne Centre medical centre after being refused by Bellecote because it was “too late in the day”. I wasn’t allowed with her cos of Covid regs so had to come back to the flat and wait. After only a couple of hours she texted that she had already been examined and x-rayed on her knee and wrist and there was only soft tissue damage and that her helmet had saved her head. She was being discharged but the doctor wanted to speak to me about what to do next. Glad we have the car here not sure what I’d have done without one. The doctor just wanted to talk to me about “concussion watch” and get me to pay. It was €160 for the whole thing from start to finish. A bargain for all that I’d say. No more skiing for her this week but we’re fair weather skiers these days anyway so only a small loss.

Not sure how that would compare to the NHS but I’ve my suspicions
snow report
rdsweb, what a ghastly end to your day. Glad it was only "concussion" to worry about.
If you're only fair weather skiers then you probably didn't mind staying in today.
Actually it was quite fun.
Snow started around 5am and stopped around midday, when we ventured out.
Considerably less cold than yesterday - almost warm.
Snow perfect for Snowmen, so quickly pushed into mounds/moguls on most slopes.
So, moguls and 10-20 cm deep patches of new snow. Hard work, but satisfying.
Again slopes empty.
When that lot is pisted out tonight should be lovely tomorrow.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, yeah we enjoyed watching through the window today. I went up to the bakers am and you’re right it did feel “warm “. It was almost raining.

May give it a go again tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
Arrived in Montalbert yesterday early evening unloaded car with dripping snow threatening to avalanche off the roof - it didn't thankfully!
One oddity there are no streetlights switched on - not sure if electricity saving or there is a fault.
Very grey out there this morning - off to Weldom and Super U later to stock for the busy season and visitors ahead.
latest report
boredsurfin, welcome to La Plagne.
And of course impossible to visit SuperU without a mosey round Weldom.
Webcam shows snow quite good down there in Montalbert
It is indeed a gloomy looking day out there - we might go visiting instead of skiing
Maybe see you one day next week when the link opens up . . ?
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Yes indeed, coffee one day next week, we have shopped in both BstM and Aime. Weldom Aime best price for logs which are now sorted and stacked. Having a late lunch and a glass of Apremont!
ski holidays
Lovely sunny day for the first lift opening of the season in Montalbert its -2c and the snowmakers are making to add to the new snowfall overnight.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, you had snow overnight?
Swizz! None here. But it is indeed a lovely day.
(We're still in pyjamas and dressing gown rolling eyes )
latest report
@Jonpim, twas but a smattering! The snowmakers have worked all day and are still working now - which sadly suggests no real snow is expected for a while Sad
Forecast seems to suggest next snowfall is on 31st with a couple of unseasonal warm days before then Sad
But our tour around today showed good on piste alll over with even some powder on piste.
B....y Envers broke down yet again!
ski holidays
And Colosses packed up at lunchtime. Had to take the bus back to 1800.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy