Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
(I comment from the perspective of someone who isn’t a natural skier, learnt as an adult and despite having been skiing in La Plagne for about 10 years, still sticks to mostly blue runs in all but perfect conditions Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chopkins13, Going to have to be a strong disagree on that run being suitable for absolute beginners (read: first week skiing).

Have you been in the school holidays, particularly this year?

The "steep" bit at the bottom of the Carella chair gets significant bumps on it when the snow is bad as it is now and it is chopped up by school holiday traffic - the piste tends to be very busy, as it serves as a major through route. My other half who is somewhat intermediate, always hates that run in school holidays but is fine taking quite a few of the reds in the area.

In the end we ate at the Borselliers restaurant, decent onion soup and as the weather was nice they had a BBQ going so I had some decent ribs too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ruswit, You got me, I’ll be losing my school-holiday-skiing-virginity in December this year - up to now had the luxury of having preschoolers or not taken the kids! Your description confirms my fears!!

Glad you got some decent scran though.

Weather forecasts seem to be hinting at turning colder in a few days, fingers crossed this materialises alongside some precipitation of the much needed white stuff!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chopkins13, The difference between Feb holidays and the weeks either side is absurd in terms of how many people are on the pistes, which can have a pretty significant knock on effect to snow quality at the end of the day. I cannot comment about Dec as I've never been, but I understand that the weeks that include Xmas and NY tend to be only second to Feb hols in terms of business.

I'd always recommend Easter hols skiing if taking kids, the pistes are quiet and the sun can be lovely. Sadly this seems like it is becoming more of a non-option as the years ago by.

As it is has been so warm and melty in Feb atm, there are loads more people in Champagny trying to get up for ~9 am to get good snow in the morn. This has lead to gondola queues of over 20 mins, with the queue stretching out of the ESF zone at the foot of the gondola into the streets nearby. If you wait until 10 am to go up, the chair lift lines are then huge so Puzzled

Have had good success with suffering the big gondola queue and eating a light lunch at 11-11.30 so that we can ski when the pistes are empty when everyone else is eating. Might be hard to do with kids in ski school, but that lunchtime emptiness is heavenly in school hols.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ruswit, sounds horrendous!

Our secret weapon for New Year week will be non-skiing grandparents in tow…. We (wife and I) plan to drop off at ski school, then ski through morning and hopefully quieter lunch time, meanwhile grandparents collect kids from ski school then RDV for non-skiing family fun in the afternoon.

Trying not to expect too much and just hoping the young kids get the taste for it really. I’ll save my ‘proper’ skiing for my annual 2nd week of March boys long weekend trip on quiet(er) pistes.

Now back to praying for that cold and snow….
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've done all of the options.

December (New Year), February half term, Easter and even taking them out of school for a week, maybe only once for the latter option. If they're in Year 6 or even 7 personally I don't think that they miss out that much at that age, but it's all down to personal circumstances and attitudes.

Easter does seem to be quieter, but of course outside of school holidays is quiet as well! Although there are risks in going late in the season.

We've done Esprit and Club Med before. Both were good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christmas week isn't too bad in terms of busyness. Not as bad as HT or NY. And if you are not big into Christmas it's a good chance to get away from it all. Plus you have to take less days holiday from work.

The one time I've done HT it was liveable.

"Easter" is great and probably the pick if you can only do one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big difference between years when Easter on 22 March and on 24 April. The former is probably great; the latter much more uncertain.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ecureuil, the term "Easter" can be confusing. Usually it means when the schools break up rather than when Easter actually falls. And the former is more consistent. I think the latest for me has been something like April 10th. Of course schools also have a two week holiday aswell. I usually go first week but have done the second. Actually, just checked, 13th to 20th April 2019. That is the latest I've been.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can anyone help this chap:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163871&highlight=

I've never stayed in 1800
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne, doned it snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What is the snow like there at the moment ? We are probably coming out in a week's time - is there any decent skiing to be had Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@eblunt, Not great but most things were still open - I last skied there Sat. Mostly hard packed snow and there was a LOT of slush the middle of last week, but you might get luckier with the temperature.

I found there was a sweet spot around 10.30 when the snow isn't as hard and hasn't yet been fully cut up by the day's traffic.

There was also a noticeable amount of debris on some slopes, especially on lower ones.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am a complete newbie to booking a skiing holiday, last one I went on was with school, so trying to get my head around snow reports... I've got a week and a bit free w/c 13 March. Does La Plagne ook like a good bet? Or should I head somewhere else? Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@macski1978, whilst it’s not shaping up to be a classic season by any stretch of the imagination, I’m heading out on 11th March and expecting to be able to ski plenty of pistes. Yes, without more snow, then conditions will be variable but we’ll still have a great time. I’d say go for it, and pick a high village to stay in if you can - I thoroughly recommend Belle Plagne.
ski holidays
Snow forecasted every day from March 7th. snowHead But confidence is two or three out of five Sad
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/la-plagne-2000-m/731502
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, 3 out of 5 is 60% in my book - I’ll take that and keep doing my merry snow dance!!
snow report
I'll be in Vallandry w/c 13th March so hoping that weather report is correct. If not, as Chopkins13 said, there will be snow even if we have to go up high so we'll still have a great time!
ski holidays
Tuesday/Wednesday looks like being cold with a chance of a modest amount of snow- Finger's crossed!
snow conditions
Looking very good

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne/6day/mid?fbclid=IwAR1t_5oH4732-KglCERV3DDeZVyLQP9TMTxiLAjL4WEoP1RGK8yh2WRPE4o
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, freezing level could do with dropping a bit… but certainly looks promising on the precipitation front! The drive up on Saturday when we arrive could be interesting.
ski holidays
@chopkins13, yep, I was going down to BstM on Wednesday - maybe not...
ski holidays
How bad are the conditions for those that are out there at the minute? Have the half term crowds inflicted damage?
snow conditions
@chopkins13, I can't really comment as I'm not there, but from the webcams it looks like the pistes are holding up pretty well considering the lack of snow this season.

My go-to webcam is the one above Bellecote, showing Belle Plagne. Looking at the far slopes around Belle Plagne, you can see how much snow has melted off the pistes, demonstrating the lack of snow base. It looks more like early April than early March. But on piste I'm sure they'll be doing an incredible job keeping them in good nick.

https://en.la-plagne.com/discover/ski-area/webcams/snowpark-bellecote

Plus, by the end of the week things could be looking very different!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 6-03-23 14:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
chopkins13 wrote:
How bad are the conditions for those that are out there at the minute? Have the half term crowds inflicted damage?

Quote:
most of the returns are still skiable via snow tongues, except for Champagny which I tested and which I don't recommend.

At the top it's hardly better, the snow is either hard or soupy or full of stones in too many places.
ski holidays
I believe the picture above is Montchavin at 1250m as an FYI.

I had a message from someone who was in Meribel last week and said the pistes were holding up as did Steve on the Val D'Isere thread.

It's obviously not what you'd expect in the first week of March though.
snow conditions
In La Plagne this week. Most Blue / Green pistes are open, but only half the Reds and less than half Blacks. Montalbert and Montchavin very thin. High up snow still in reasonable condition. Champagny side suffering more as south facing.

Lots of precipitation forecast later this week, but some sites are showing the snow line at well over 2000m, so at resort level everywhere it may be rain. Which could almost wipe out the lower ones. Sad
snow conditions
chopkins13 wrote:

Pisteurs doing an amazing job and we were surprised yesterday at how skiable the main runs were both in LP and Lea Arcs . Today though , it seemed worse , with unpredictable icy bits . It remains to be seen if the new stufff forecast falls as snow , sleet or rain .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boulevardier, likely to be all 3 at different elevations Laughing

Let's hope the freezing level stays low as much as possible.
snow report
Spent today in La Plagne. Some bits better than Les Arcs but other more scrappy and lots of closed runs. However a bright, sunny and generally cold da mad2 for a good time. Interesting to see how weather develops over the next few days
snow conditions
Hi, We have been at Plagne 1800 since 12 th Jan and the snow cannons have never been used down here. Even when it was cold enough. A ski instructor said it was because they are not allowed to use the water? Someone else said it was because of the cost of the electricity and they were running the lifts 10% slower for the same reason. Has anyone else heard anything? Peter
snow report
@nashman, I’m sure one of the regulars/locals will be along to confirm or deny but I’m sure there are limits on how much water they can use each season. Can’t imagine how frighteningly expensive running the snow cannons is at the current electricity prices though!
ski holidays
nashman wrote:
Hi, We have been at Plagne 1800 since 12 th Jan and the snow cannons have never been used down here. Even when it was cold enough. A ski instructor said it was because they are not allowed to use the water? Someone else said it was because of the cost of the electricity and they were running the lifts 10% slower for the same reason. Has anyone else heard anything? Peter

Yes. I was there in summer, and the problem is that the reservoirs are empty. Basically they knew then that if they didn’t get decent snow this winter that they were going to be in trouble.
ski holidays
France has a serious water shortage brewing

The article says that the cooling of power plant is a major consumer of freshwater. That took me by surprise; I had though that water simply passed through the plants, with little net loss.
ski holidays
@nashman, great reflexion/ question I'm in Bellecôte for the season. I've been so focused elsewhere that I didn't even notice this, but very true that there maybe hasn't been a snow cannon running (all season ?).

They do regularly dump quantities of snow on slopes and areas in need, like the evening of the Born to be show, there was a dump on the bottom part of the blue slope from Plagne Village to Plagne Centre; there have been dumps of snow on the front de neige in Bellecôte so the track in the direction of the bus stop keeps existing somewhat.
ski holidays
Snowing in Montalbert now and has been for since 6 ish snowHead
Lets hope it continues through the night, temp is -1C

On the man made question they made so much artificial snow and stored it ready for February they used most of the stored water. Thus they couldn't make anymore until it rains/snows again.
latest report
@boredsurfin, everything crossed that the forecasts have got the freezing level wrong for the next 5 days!
snow conditions
We have been at 1800 since the 12th January and no man made snow has been made at 1800.
In previous years when the temperature was low enough they made snow all night and stored it in heaps until it was needed, but not this year.
ski holidays
Snowing steadily this morning snowHead
and 0.8 on the balcony
ski holidays
@nashman, I guess that none was made in 1800 to use the water in lower resorts and the high traffic areas.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy