Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite possibly the wrong place to ask but has anyone had any experience of ESF in Belle Plagne? We’re planning on New Year’s week next winter and our kids will be first timers aged 4 & 6 - reckon they’d allow them both in Piou Piou? I know technically the older one should be in Ourson class but neither have ever skied before and they’d be much happier together.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two of our group had private lessons from them just a couple of weeks ago and were very happy with the standard of instruction. The people in the office were very helpful too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi everyone! My family and I are heading to Champagny for the Feb half term. I'm trying to work out if there is any advantage to booking the ski passes ahead of time, other than convenience? Best deal for us is the family pack, but I can't tell if this is an online only offer. Can anyone confirm? I would prefer to buy in resort for a number of reasons, not least because we would need to pick up th cards anyway, but just wanted to check. Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am just back from a week in La Plagne with Snoworks.

Last Thursday and Friday the off piste was wonderful. Blue skies and deep powder. The guides thought it was the best couple of days for several years.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MummyChristmas, makes no odds. Just buy on arrival.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chopkins13, My partner is an instructor for ESF Belle Plagne. I have in the past helped out in the ''jardin d'enfants''. Both piou piou and ourson start out together in the jardin/enclosed garden, with games and breaks and gliding/sliding. The children able to stop in a snowplough / make their first turns, no matter their age, will in the later part of the week start taking trips out of the jardin, first in Belle Plagne itself and then for a bigger outing down to Bellecote (via the very gentle blue on the left of the Col de Forcle when going down to Bellecote) to go up Arpette and ski down again to the jardin in Belle Plagne. So once one or both of the children progress out of piou piou (the base level, stays in the garden), he or she or they would get an Ourson or Blanchot or Loup Garou (different ski animals of the garden, to indicate the different sublevels) shirt and be a part of that subgroup. So the different subgroups in the garden will change during the week depending on the individual childs progress. Obviously the secretaries of the ski school will be much more capable than me and glad to answer your question, but I hope this is of some help already. There are 2 jardin d'enfants in Belle Plagne, one in the higher part and one in the lower part, so you can choose the one closest to where you are staying.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JulieAimeLeSki, thank you that is fantastic information! Really helpful. We’re staying in Andromede so the top snow garden I think is very close indeed.

I emailed the ESF and they replied very quickly just to confirm both would start in Piou Piou but likely in different groups.

I need to enquire about lift passes with them as seems daft buying them a lift pass for the week if they might well not make it out of the snow garden!

Very excited to get them on their ski journey though Smile

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
4th day in a row of very cold temperatures, sunny weather and excellent snow conditions.

Productive day of training on the stade for me.
Blanchets did not turn at all today, so I took a detour via Colosses to Col de Forcle to go train.

This morning at 9 am, -12 C / -18 C felt/ressenti, tomorrow morning at 9am according to meteoblue should be just a little warmer, -9C / -15C felt/ressenti.

The past week most of Bellecôte was filled with 1600 students (Skiozarts; students of l’Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Arts et Métiers ParisTech (ENSAM) ) wearing their individualised grey Harry Potter capes. Yesterday was a calm change over saturday after all the events and people of Skiozarts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chopkins13, You're very welcome. Obviously again, the secretaries of the ski school can advise a lot better, but from experience : the instructor will normally indicate the day before when for a specific child a liftpass will be needed. For the first outing in Belle Plagne itself they use a public lift (no lift pass needed), if the child does well during this little trip, the next day they would do the bigger outing and go down to Bellecote and up Arpette.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lane Brilliant! Thank you Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JulieAimeLeSki, thanks again. Apparently ESF don’t put their lessons for next season on sale until August but will get them booked in when they do. It’s going to be a long 11 months waiting for this holiday Razz
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fabulous skiing today. Forecast was ‘overcast’ but I found a mix of sun and cloud. The pistes are brilliant, some lift queues at sticky points like the Arpette, but 10 mins max I would say.

Went across to Les Arcs today, all the way to Villeroger from the top of the Glacier. It says it’s a black run, but it’s perfectly pisted for a red run skier. I skied red at the top the black was steep, but pisted.

Some incredible runs today, I love skiing too to bottom and through the trees, yesterday montalbert and afternoon for a tad in champagny. Going to go there again when we have a bit more time. The runs into the ravine were breathtaking. I need to take pics
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I can't the SOPiB this year, considering a Snoworks course in La Plagne in March. Course starts from Plagne Centre at 9:15 however best deal I have found for travel and accommodation is to Plagne Bellecote. Colosses lift I think opens at 9 so can't ski there (reliably).

Have found an online bus timetable for the navette between Bellecote/1800/Centre but only has the times from Plagne Centre to Bellecote. Can you reliably get from Bellecote to Plagne Centre by say 9am by bus?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrNo, I believe the bus returns direct from Bellecote to Centre with a couple of stops on the way (it doesn't go into Plagne 1800 on the return journey). The timetable shows the first bus arriving at Bellecote at 08.50 so it should be back at Centre by 09.00. A previous version of the Yuge app showed bus times for the full loop and I'm sure the return was no more than 10 minutes (this years app seems particularly useless, and not just for the meagre bus information). What I don't know is how well to time the buses run, I'll let you know when we've tried them next month.
snow report
@DrNo, I suppose you also have to make allowances for weather related issues affecting the road. The timing feels a bit tight to me for comfort.
latest report
https://www.la-plagne.com/sites/default/files/brochures/pdf/Navette%20Plagne%20Centre%20-%20Plagne%201800%20-%20Plagne%20Bellecôte.pdf?_ga=2.261602253.1394082510.1674564653-1317062494.1673806750&_gl=1*7hy9yw*_ga*MTMxNzA2MjQ5NC4xNjczODA2NzUw*_ga_RGHX4L1ZKT*MTY3NDU2NDY1Mi4zLjEuMTY3NDU2NDcwNy4wLjAuMA..

Navette supplémentaire le matin : 8h05 Plagne Centre / 8h13 Plagne 1800 Haut / 8h15 Bellecôte / 8h20 Belle Plagne /
8h25 Bellecôte / 8h35 Plagne 1800

Need to cut and paste entire link - snowHeads cant cope with it Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 24-01-23 13:59; edited 2 times in total
snow report
In both the summer and winter seasons, there is a free shuttle bus service between the different altitude sites. Our tip: the Mov'in La Plagne application which allows you to follow your shuttle in real time. Downloadable from the Play Store or the Apple Store.

hope the above links may help
snow conditions
@Nigel_SW, @boredsurfin, thanks for that.

The linked timetable is the one I found but it only has the times from Plagne Centre to Bellecote and not the reverse! If the first bus from Bellecote is 8:50 or close to it then I agree, a bit tight for 9:15. However if there is one starting in Bellecote around 8:30 as they do from Plagne Centre, that should be enough of a margin for weather etc.

Will try the Mov'in app to see if that has a more detailed timetable.
snow report
@DrNo, If not telephone or e mail one of the tourist offices, I'm sure they will help.

There is an e mail form here https://en.la-plagne.com/contact

There is also a system of staff busses no idea how they work 'tho maybe try the La Plagne seasonaires group on Facebook

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-01-23 14:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Turns out the Mov'in app "is not available in your country or region" so clearly the bus times are a secret until you reach France... Razz
latest report
@boredsurfin, good idea, will send them an email
snow report
@DrNo, Let us know the answer it may help to answer questions in future
ski holidays
Been here since Sunday and it's been really great, definitely noticed the lifts are slower but the conditions are fantastic.
latest report
@Nigel_SW, I echo the advice from @Layne, I think your plan is really good. I collect my daughter and leave straight from her school too. I have a bit further to drive than you to Eurotunnel/ferry so your 1930/2000 is probably realistic from London, depending on traffic, customs, etc. Stopping at a hotel is personal preference, and as this may be your first time doing this journey at HT, will mean you can grab some quality sleep. Personally I drive as far as I can safely, we have sleeping bags, pillows etc and daughter is used to it, so I pull over, usually between Troyes and Dijon, grab an hour or two, and then resume my journey. I also invested in the Emovis tag, as it means I don't have to stop at the tolls or wake up daughter to tap my card on the toll machine. I think getting your ski rentals on Saturday afternoon is essential, that is what I always do. If the conditions are good and I am up for it, we may grab a few runs while we wait for the apartment. Accept you are going to be sat in queues on the roads. Think M5 to Cornwall in summer and you are nearly there Laughing I am on Eurotunnel evening of 10/02 and Plagne Centre from 11/02 so if you see a zombified British redhead with a teenage daughter - it's probably me!
ski holidays
Thanks @Snowmadmum. The consensus is in favour or doing a stop even if it's just for a few hours then up early to continue the drive but we'll stay flexible depending on weather forecast and Eurotunnel hold ups. Will keep a look out for you around Centre Smile
snow conditions
snowmadmum - with the 6 day pass you get a free half day so can use that for the Saturday you arrive
snow report
Thanks @stefoy4me, yes that's my plan, already purchased the ticket as we have refillable cards from a few years back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m hoping to spend most of the day in La Plagne tomorrow (staying in Bourg).

Any suggestions on the best areas to ski and places to eat? Nothing fancy, just a decent self service place will do me.
latest report
@Raven, pistes or off piste?

Assuming the former. Sources, Pierres Blanches, either red down the base of Roche, one of the blacks from the top of Becoin, if they are open, top of Rochette down to Centre.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@Raven, pistes or off piste?

Assuming the former. Sources, Pierres Blanches, either red down the base of Roche, one of the blacks from the top of Becoin, if they are open, top of Rochette down to Centre.

Definitely pistes. Still getting my ski legs back at the moment Very Happy
snow report
Raven wrote:
I’m hoping to spend most of the day in La Plagne tomorrow (staying in Bourg).

Any suggestions on the best areas to ski and places to eat? Nothing fancy, just a decent self service place will do me.

Maybe I am too late, but if the run is open, Mont De La Guerre in the Champagny sector might just be the best run in the entire resort in my opinion.

It's a fantastic long red that goes from over 2200m down to village level in Champagny. You get a fantstic view of the valley and Courchevel whilst up there, but as it is south facing it is often closed due to the sun melting the snow apparently(?)
snow report
@Ruswit, yeah it's often closed or dodgy. I'm not one for downloading unless absolutely necessary but when I stayed in Champagny going down the piste was really challenging.

But in the right conditions for sure it's a lovely long run with great funs. Probably worth doing once if open anyway - especially if you've come all the way from Oz and might not come again.
ski holidays
So I may be a bit behind here, but it looks like they've changed the pistes from the top of Bijolin lift down to the start of Pierres Blanches. You used to have two blue choices, Dos Rond on the far left, or the rather entertaining Mont Blonc which had what I would describe as 'rollers' which were good fun. It looks like the latter is now some sort of ski-cross track (closed off with netting on the webcam today) and the old Dos Rond piste has been renamed Mont Blonc.....

Anyone know if this is all right? It would be a shame to have the top of the original Mont Blanc piste and it's rollers netted off a lot of the time.
snow report
@chopkins13, no, the ski-cross is in the middle of the two. It wasn't open at Christmas but we'd often ski off piste down between and we were pee'd off they'd taken some of it away by fencing off this area.
snow report
https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/UVHdOZeUCoicqz04lO5fcc5KmyPTwLHktWTA92ofnfn?tag=amz07b-21

Trying to post a link to a picture explaining what I mean….

First picture is last season’s piste map. Second is this season’s which shows the missing Dos Rond piste and the Mont Blanc piste taking its place….
snow report
@Layne,

Yeah in the 10 times I've skied Champagny the run has only been open on one of my trips. Always a fun game on the télécabine up spotting people regretting their decision to go around the piste closed signs and trying to ski through a slightly icy field.
latest report
@chopkins13, Ah, I see. Well, I am fairly certain the piste map is not a reflection of what is on the ground.

What was the Mont Blanc piste on last years map, was still fully open at Christmas when we were there. As you know it's very wide. And even though skicross wasn't yet open there was fencing and signage off to the left of the old Mont Blanc as you are going downhill. Now, as it wasn't fully open it's possible they could change things but I don't see how or why they would.

Strange.
snow report
@Layne, that makes more sense and from the webcam at the top of Bijolin I think I can make out a thinner version of the old Mont Blanc piste so hopefully it and the rollers are still there!
snow conditions
@chopkins13, It all seemed 'normal' there last week ....
Food at Pierre Blanche the same as well, the Pizza Hut on the terrace was only taking cash....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy