Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
A lovely sunny day on piste - a credit to the Pisteures of La Plagne so many avalanches visible all around, I hope they were all tripped by them!
Biggest surprise of the day (apart from Envers continuing to work!) was Capella normally a lovely smooth wide rolling blue piste today it was roughly machined avalanche debris making small moguls and scraped smooth in places - I have skied Blacks in the area that were easier! Stood on the side watching quite a few proficient skiers being caught out, generally speaking pistes were in good condition considering the rain of the last 48 hours. Clearly all the main pistes had been worked on overnight but the smaller short cut pistes had been left and were suffering and a little brown and bushy in places. Others, such as Reservoir were still closed - mainly due to an avalanche crossing the piste - in the usual place were an avalanche crosses it, I guess there was no time to clear the debris and re-instate the piste.
Looks like another sunny day tomorrow things will improve as I guess a whole nights posting will be carried out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, boredsurfin, for us it was a resort or two halves.
Pleasant or dangerous depending on altitude (north side) or sunshine (south side).
So, top of Inversens was lovely, until you got to Friday's rain line.
Then all suddenly changed to vicious boiler plate with everyone sliding wildly all over the place. Beware.
Conversely, the top half of Rossa was pretty horrible until you got to where the sun has worked its magic, and then it was all soft and fun.
Christmas lunch in Roc des Blanchets where Plât de Jour was Guinea Fowl - as close to Turkey as we were likely to get (and really yummy as well). Excellent meal as usual.
Now home for tea and Bananagrams.
Merry Christmas! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gorgeous morning, a lot more people about, evident already before the opening of the lifts in Bellecôte, as quite a few people were in line before 9. The right side of the stade de Belle Plagne had seen a piste basher, so excellent start to the day. The ESF Belle Plagne will hold a flèche (GS competition open to anyone) in Plagne Centre, for better conditions than on it's own stade de slalom, on wednesday morning. Over lunch time clouds came up, a few drops of water but mostly nothing. Change of the weather in the second part of the afternoon. 5 min of hail, and since the closing of the lifts continuous drizzle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent conditions, 10cm fresh snow on piste this morning, sun's out, colder than it's been in a while. So much fun. Lots of people around, but still a wonderful day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beautiful winter day. Slopes are hard packed and busy but the top layer is a little whiter in appearance than at the end of last week. Suns out, not warm yet. We'll see what's coming on that front soon Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks would appreciate an update on conditions sometime Friday. Are you skiing down to lower levels 1500meters ? Bit more snow forecast I can see?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Montalbert at 1300 is currently easily accessible on made made snow. Snow is in the forecast, but at 1400m its +6c and raining right now. Snow is forecast above 1900m but tomorrow evening rain is forecast up to 2300m followed by snow..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for update, coming out on the 31st Dec
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Out of curiosity does anyone know why the red runs down to La Roche haven't been opened so far this season according to the interactive piste map? Most of the other reds and blacks on the Biolley side seem to be stubbornly remaining closed too which must limit options for more advanced skiers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nigel_SW, it was open last week when we skied down - not 100% sure what day that was but I would imagine the interactive map is just wrong.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Busy but lovely morning, weather is starting to turn and very small snowflakes are currently starting to fall in Bellecôte.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forecast freezing level seems to go up to 3500m tomorrow afternoon, that is just nuts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nigel_SW, They haven't been pisted since opening, no idea why not but the rain has now badly affected them.

Was snowing down to around 1800 at lunchtime and now turning to sleet ..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's been doing something in between rain and snow for the last few hours in Bellecote. It mostly looks like snowflakes in the air but it is really wet. Lots of instructors that regret having left their cape at home. There * should * be snow higher up..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sun with some clouds in the sky. Lots of people enjoying holidays on the slopes; next to the slopes in Bellecote some rocks and terrain peeking through. I'll get some skiing in later this afternoon. I did all the washing, cleaning and a little bit of sleeping longer to get ready for next week. My snowboard had a strap that broke down last saturday and I had it repaired this morning as well. Have a wonderful last day of the year. Wearing new sunglasses, so that's double excellent today.
snow report
Hi all, can anyone recommend a ski hire shop in Belle Plagne? We are heading out next weekend & it will be our first visit to La Plagne
snow conditions
@rara1989, there are 3 ski set shops in Belle Plagne so depending on which building you’re staying in then chose the one closest - there’s a map of shop locations on their website when you book.

Alternatively there’s another (independent?) hire shop in the commercial centre which you can book through AlpinResorts website.

There used to be discount codes/affiliate links on SnowHeads in previous years but can’t find them just now.
latest report
Sunny but hardpacked snow conditions, ''avec des boulettes'', tiny hard snowballs. Still calm on the slopes at the moment.
latest report
Hello @rara1989 . We are also in La Plagne for the first time the same week and have just booked hire through AlpinResorts. Discount code "snow", (may have been a capital S), worked for us.
latest report
Anyone currently in La Plagne, just wondered how things are holding up?
latest report
@Handy Turnip, Surprisingly well, just been reading scare stories in the UK press which are possibly real for resort slower than 1000m and certainly don't apply to La Plagne. Bear in mind we had 48 hours of non stop rain up to 2500m, the pistes are incredibly well looked after, sure there are quite a few closed but not ones that are 'critical' to the enjoyment of the resort.
Skied 20 miles around today and the only 'duff' bit was the red track by Club med to Plagne centre - the blue track was fine. Some sections of piste that were scraped earlier at the weekend have been improved with 'harvested' snow. For example Capella was a nightmare of scraped ice and avalanche rubble at the weekend and is now back to its normal excellent self today.
Lower resorts like Montalbert are open but with access via the main red pistes made from manufactured snow, so downloading via the Gondola is recommended.
Going over to the Champagny sector tomorrow to see how that's holding up.
snow report
I saw a long range forecast suggesting snow in a couple of weeks Very Happy I hope so
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@Handy Turnip, Surprisingly well, just been reading scare stories in the UK press which are possibly real for resort slower than 1000m and certainly don't apply to La Plagne. Bear in mind we had 48 hours of non stop rain up to 2500m, the pistes are incredibly well looked after, sure there are quite a few closed but not ones that are 'critical' to the enjoyment of the resort.
Skied 20 miles around today and the only 'duff' bit was the red track by Club med to Plagne centre - the blue track was fine. Some sections of piste that were scraped earlier at the weekend have been improved with 'harvested' snow. For example Capella was a nightmare of scraped ice and avalanche rubble at the weekend and is now back to its normal excellent self today.
Lower resorts like Montalbert are open but with access via the main red pistes made from manufactured snow, so downloading via the Gondola is recommended.
Going over to the Champagny sector tomorrow to see how that's holding up.

Thanks @boredsurfin, that sounds pretty positive considering. One of my friends has been over in Morillon over the NY, and looking at some of the photos there it looks pretty bad - I was hoping that La Plagne was holding up better being higher so good to hear that's the case. It's still another two weeks till I go and the forecast looks promising for next week, so I'm not overly worried at this point. We're staying in La Roche, so hopefully those runs are holding up (have you been down those runs at all recently?).
ski holidays
Anyone got any info on how often the glacier chair is running? Every time I look at the webcam it looks empty and the lift status shows "prevue"
latest report
@qanuk, I've skied in La Plagne/Paradiski 17/18 weeks and I've barely ever been up the glacier - for various reasons... it's a schlep, if bad weather it's closed anyway, if good weather/conditions there is a masses to ski anyway, etc, etc. So personally I wouldn't sweat it.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@qanuk, I've skied in La Plagne/Paradiski 17/18 weeks and I've barely ever been up the glacier - for various reasons... it's a schlep, if bad weather it's closed anyway, if good weather/conditions there is a masses to ski anyway, etc, etc. So personally I wouldn't sweat it.

Yes totally agree - in our early trips, we spent far too much time looking at whether it was open or not (invariably not). By about our third trip it was finally open, and it turned out it was just another ski run. So now, rather than consuming too much time on whether it's open, we plan our days without it - there's so much more skiing to be had!
latest report
Ditto @Layne, its the area I've skied the most and probably only been up to the La Plagne glacier about half a dozen times for the same reasons Laughing

Return in 2 weeks after a 4-year gap, looking forward to skiing terrain I know well. Do like checking out places I've never been before but there is definite value in knowing a resort, where to go in what conditions etc.
snow report
@Handy Turnip, None of the runs down to La Roche except Cornydogwheel have been open this season - they don't even look although a machine has been down them! The good news is since the dodgy start they have managed to open Envers every day so very few skiers are going on down to La Roche so the lower sections of Cornydogwheel should be in 'reasonable' condition.

We went over to the Champagny sector today and were very pleased to see so much open - was fearing the worst!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
@Handy Turnip, None of the runs down to La Roche except Cornydogwheel have been open this season - they don't even look although a machine has been down them! The good news is since the dodgy start they have managed to open Envers every day so very few skiers are going on down to La Roche so the lower sections of Cornydogwheel should be in 'reasonable' condition.

We went over to the Champagny sector today and were very pleased to see so much open - was fearing the worst!

Oh yikes, hopefully the forecasted snow will put that right - those reds down to La Roche are the normal route home - not a big fan of the blue, normally because it's not usually in the best condition (so maybe the silver lining is that it'll be better this year).
snow report
@Handy Turnip, Will need a lot more snow and a sustained drop in temperature - it was 10c in Montalbert today, the ground is not frozen and so the hoped for snow will fall on warm soil which wont make a very good base. I'll let you know if they open more than the blue.
latest report
Todays pic from Pierre Blanche of the Dos Rond chair
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@Handy Turnip, Will need a lot more snow and a sustained drop in temperature - it was 10c in Montalbert today, the ground is not frozen and so the hoped for snow will fall on warm soil which wont make a very good base. I'll let you know if they open more than the blue.

Thanks boredsurfin, much appreciated
ski holidays
Just finished a week staying in Montchavin, considering the lack of new snow conditions have been pretty good. There are some runs closed but most of it’s open, seems like man made soft snow on top of hard packed ice in places which gets chopped up/mogully in the afternoon, but for a peak week not as bad as it could be. We’ve had sunny days sat outside with a beer on the mountain, not skied as many miles as we usually do but still a fab week, the resort desperately needs snow which looks to be promised Sunday/Monday, if you’re heading out soon, enjoy Eh oh!
snow report
Did a couple of lifts and pistes that I haven't done for a long time. The bubbles up from Bellecote, quite a surprise how old they feel now! - I think they are being replaced 24/25 season. Then did Tunnel - no disco lights or music in the tunnel itself what a shame Very Happy
pistes up there were pretty good, as all are Above 1800.
Lovely sunny afternoon and temp on the balcony +8c no sign of snow yet.
snow conditions
Snowing in Belle Plagne, fresh layer on the slopes and small snowflakes falling down Smile
snow report
Dream conditions on the slopes.
snow conditions
@JulieAimeLeSki, any ideas how low the snow is falling at the moment?
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, Snowing in Champagny village at the moment.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, Snowing in Champagny village at the moment.
latest report
It snowed in Belle Plagne/Bellecote untill after lunch, with a short moment of very wet precipitation somewhere in between. Since 3 pm visibility has improved a lot. Some clouds moving around, but it is easy to go above/stay in the clear. Slopes had a touch-up. Enjoyable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy