Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

avalanche courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody done an L1 avalanche course in the alps you’d recommend? Keen to go on Boxing Day, ski for a few days and then avi course for a couple of days. Not sure if there are any on at that time of year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a 2-day avalanche academy course with Jonny Baird a few years back, he was very good. Not sure if it's L1-compliant, but it's "close enough" then I suspect you could get it tweaked a bit.

It is cost neutral at 3-4 people vs just hiring a guide, so an alternative would be to find a couple of mates and book a guide direct.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Out of interest, is there any reason to specifically want it to be "L1 compliant"? I'm not aware of anywhere within the (UK and Europe) ski industry that would require it.

As for courses, I could certainly recommend the Engelberg mountain guides. I used to work with the ski school they share an office and booking system with, so know many of them quite well (I'd recommend Freddi in particular). They run a number of courses around that time https://www.engelbergmountainguide.ch/en/winter-2/off-piste/avalanche-courses/ but can arrange them individually for groups of three or more.

One nice thing in Engelberg is that there is a transceiver practice area at Truebsee, with various search patterns to practice. Makes things much quicker if you're not needing to bury and dig out backpacks or individual transceivers each time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chaletbeauroc, that was my curiousity - why do you need avalanche awareness to teach on a dry slope?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, You certainly don't; BASI only adds mountain safety at level 3. It's a while since I did that but I recall the level was not particularly high. I'd done multiple Ski Club leader refresher courses by that time, which included all sorts of scenarios, multiple burials, probing lines, loads of stuff, whereas the BASI one only had the most basic "find a single transceiver in a couple of minutes" search.

No, this refers to an American avalanche training course (I'm pretty sure). L1 is the most basic, recommended as a minimum for anyone doing any sort of backcountry ski/board/hike.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah that’s right. I meant basic avalanche training, as per the US and Canada nomenclature
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did the Avalanche Geeks L1 a few years back: it's run by UK guide Bruce Goodlad and Mike Austin. They run it very well - a good mixture of classroom and 'practical'. Very enjoyable couple of days. They're based in Megeve / Contamines. Thoroughly recommended.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not even sure I knew such things existed (i.e. in such a formal fashion), or at least, rather, I hadn't thought too deeply about them existing.

Looks pretty good, if not exactly cheap* https://www.americanavalancheinstitute.com/course/avalanche-level-1/

* yes, yes, I know how do you price ... etc., etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy