Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
@scorpio, @primoz, your advice of course makes sense and I can't argue with it, but in practice, its application to amateur off piste skiers like me who spend 1-2 weeks per year in the mountains is limited, because no matter how much I read up on avalanches/ read the avalanche report, the gap between my level of knowledge and that of an instructor or guide plying their living in the mountains is too big. Just like the fact that we have a whole section of this forum dedicated to ski injuries, and the most important piece of advice anyone can get, notwithstanding how much googling they do, is see a Sports Injury Professional. I get that it should be OK to ask questions of the guide in a nice way, but there is a fine line between just being annoying or undermining in the setting of a group of skiers who have all paid good money to ski safe but exciting off piste, and coming from place of relatively major ignorance, I am not sure I would know where that line is. But perhaps (maybe more than perhaps), you guys are just telling it as it is.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree it is of huge concern that a professional would take clients into such a notorious area on risk 4 day. I thought in Austria guides could be criminally prosecuted for making such negligent decisions that lead to harm (if they survive themselves)..? Certainly it is something the authorities should be looking at. Easy to say you can't warn any more, but there must be some better system of ensuring ski instructors/ guides to read the avalanche bulletin if they want to keep their licences?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@peanuthead, yes, easy: less free market. Regulations!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@peanuthead, yes guides, just like anyone else, can be prosecuted (and have been) if reckless behaviour on their part leads to fatalities. Whilst the recent incident is rather perplexing, the fact remains that there is always an element of risk skiing off piste guide or no guide. One of the "attractions" of any mountain sport is that element of risk, sensible people look at ways to reduce the risk. Some people accept (or perhaps even desire) a higher level than others but its there for all. One of the issues with skiing is that we all feel "too safe", it is someone else's job to minimise the risks for the paying customers, we are there to have a holiday. As much as I love skiing my best experiences in the mountains have been on my own, on foot, when I have been responsible for myself. On some of those occasions perhaps I took more risk than I should have done but it was solely my responsibility to ensure I got home safely.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avalanche warnings must be taken more seriously

https://www.meinbezirk.at/tirol/c-lokales/lawinenwarnungen-muessen-mehr-ernst-genommen-werden_a5859739
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

he's a big part of why people go to St Anton

@xscreamer, Really? There's me thinking it was the excellent snow record, the lift system, lift served freeride skiing opportunities wink

Not seen him at Murmel, just heard him as walked past, used to watch him at Graibli but I don't particularly like Murmel, too cramped and stuffy.
Yes you're right St Anton is an incredible place, what I should have said is that Gunar does add to the attraction of going there. I still don't know if he is actually retiring, can anybody confirm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@xscreamer, Was only messing wink Not sure re his retirement, he's late 50's i'd think, can't see why he'd need/ want to retire, he looks like a pretty happy person and enjoys that environment and lifestyle i'd think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@xscreamer, Was only messing wink Not sure re his retirement, he's late 50's i'd think, can't see why he'd need/ want to retire, he looks like a pretty happy person and enjoys that environment and lifestyle i'd think.

He's older than that. 64/65ish I think. Last year was his 50th year since he first played a live gig (not in St Anton - he started there in late 80s). If the bar is quiet before he starts playing he often takes the time to chat to customers, we have talked with him quite a lot, he's a really nice guy with great taste in music. He certainly didn't mention he was considering retiring last year but maybe circumstances have changed. I'll probably find out more in March but I'm sure there will be others on here with more info before then. Our cow-whispering taxi driver must know surely, unless it's a locals only secret Happy

It's strange to see people in town retiring that have always been there since I started going 30+ years ago. It was the same when Joan retired from the Underground last year. At least DJ Gerhard is still doing his thing in the Moose, though his son Thomas seems to be doing more days each week with every passing year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JohnS4, Whats happened to the dreadlocks boom-boom guy that worked in the new Underground, and his side-kick the Kiwi guy?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead wrote:
I agree it is of huge concern that a professional would take clients into such a notorious area on risk 4 day. I thought in Austria guides could be criminally prosecuted for making such negligent decisions that lead to harm (if they survive themselves)..? Certainly it is something the authorities should be looking at. Easy to say you can't warn any more, but there must be some better system of ensuring ski instructors/ guides to read the avalanche bulletin if they want to keep their licences?

indeed...in Germany also.
Even if you are not "working" and you are with friends looking for new lines, if you (and your company) cause an avalanche, you are in troube as a guide, or even instructor , althoug you were not "on duty"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@JohnS4, Whats happened to the dreadlocks boom-boom guy that worked in the new Underground, and his side-kick the Kiwi guy?

Do you mean the guy with the dreadlocks who played the acoustic guitar in there and wandered around from table to table singing and playing ? I'm now racking my brain to remember his name.

I'm not sure you mean by the Kiwi guy - was it one of the staff there ? There was a couple of regular staff who were there every year but I don't know where they are now.

The guy who used to play the piano and sing in there was James Carter Stringfellow, he plays in a pub in Spain in Summer, but is recovering from a motorbike accident last year and is not in St Anton this season. He's another guy who is happy to sit around and chat over a beer, he's a very accomplished musician and interesting to talk to.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dread lock Leon, he was selling his book of experiences a couple years ago ("Neon Leon" I think). He wasn't in the Underground last winter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnS4, @davidthornton, Yup that's him, he's a funny guy. Not young likely mid/ late 60's.

the Kiwi person played acoustic guitar covers, late 50's short hair keyboards and guitar.

Also a guitar/ vocalist Tony Wilson (?) have seen around town, very good guitarist, lives in Pettneu.

I really like the live late afternoons in Griabli and on terrace in late season when Heli gets the Lederhosen on and inflatable guitar and long wig, very funny, good laugh and music in there.

Some characters.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all

Can anyone recommend an apartment/chalet in St Anton (or connected areas) that could sleep 8 adults with a decent shared social space and kitchen? Trying to avoid hotels if possible!

Thanks all
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
@JohnS4, @davidthornton, Yup that's him, he's a funny guy. Not young likely mid/ late 60's.

the Kiwi person played acoustic guitar covers, late 50's short hair keyboards and guitar.

Also a guitar/ vocalist Tony Wilson (?) have seen around town, very good guitarist, lives in Pettneu.

I really like the live late afternoons in Griabli and on terrace in late season when Heli gets the Lederhosen on and inflatable guitar and long wig, very funny, good laugh and music in there.

Some characters.....

Yeah I like the Griabli too, the best place for rock music in St Anton. The terrace is great but also when bands play inside on a cold snowy day and you can warm up by the fire in there. It's certainly a lot less frantic in there than the Moose and KK.
snow conditions
@Fridge03, Sidney Reilly St Anton apartments
ski holidays
For those lovers of the Hospiz Alm

There new Wine Dome could use your cash !

https://www.falstaff.at/nd/hospiz-alm-am-arlberg-praesentiert-einen-neuen-wine-dome/

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JpkCzGC120M

_________________________________________________________________________________________-

Gunnar is definitely retiring this year he is in his 60's ... He used to play non stop in the Picadilly

Kiwi "Flossie" works at the Swimming Pool/ Sauna / Gym. He is around on the Hill.

Rasta Leon lives in Germany

Tony Wilson ?? Tony Wright had a bad ski accident a couple of weeks ago ..

There will be one less bar/Pub in town soon.........

After the weekend Temperature will rise quite a bit .... There is no new snow in sight ...
latest report
@stanton, yes Tony Wright, hope he’s ok
ski holidays
Glorious bluebird day.

Still some dry snow, albeit tracked, to be found on north facing slopes. Anything facing south has been pretty much sun-baked despite the low temperatures.

The gully route from the Flexenbahn Mittelstation has now been groomed.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:

That's a good idea, it always seemed strange that the only route from the middle station down to Zurs started off with with a fairly tricky entrance which meant that some people needed to go right to the top before they could ski down. Grooming it will make it accessible to skiers who might not have previously liked the look of it. It also used to have some uphill sections where you needed to carry a fair bit of speed to avoid pole pushing, have they made any changes there too ?
latest report
Quote:

Yes you're right St Anton is an incredible place, what I should have said is that Gunar does add to the attraction of going there. I still don't know if he is actually retiring, can anybody confirm.

Defo. He took my brother in law, plus my sister out for dinner on Tuesday night. For me he will be a big loss to the off snow fun of St Anton.
snow conditions
@boabski,

Would you mind asking Gunar when his last performance in St Anton will be this season and send me a PM or post it here.

http://youtube.com/v/lKZC4OzaXdQ
snow report
JohnS4 wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

…. It also used to have some uphill sections where you needed to carry a fair bit of speed to avoid pole pushing, have they made any changes there too ?

Yes, it looks like there are still some uphill sections - hard to find a line in that gully that avoids them. I did not ski it today, so not 100% sure. I did the bumps from the top of Tritt. They were big and the exit was “exciting”!
snow report
Forecasts are giving a little top up for the 21st - 23rd February, with a decline in temperatures as well.

It is still to uncertain but can anyone confirm if this is plausible?
latest report
@nunex, Meteoblue says snow no, temperature decline yes.
But too far for sure.
ski holidays
What I always liked about Gunner was that he usually played his music almost non stop without any intervening banter or faffing about.

I always found it interesting as well to hear an Austrian, assuming he is Austrian, playing Bob Marley which he used to do quite a bit.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
@nunex, Meteoblue says snow no, temperature decline yes.
But too far for sure.

I am surprised to see Meteoblue quoted, for there was a poster who was adamant that ZAMG was the only source of truth. Toofy Grin

WePowder is not too optimistic above snow in the next 14 days, but I don’t have Pro, so cannot see the details.

The local forecast (for those who not could be bothered to click through):

Quote:
A high-pressure bridge over our area consisting of two cores is still affecting the weather. One of them is located over East the other one over West Europe. Until the weekend, they will combine into a massive high-pressure area, which will only slightly withdraw to the west at the weekend. In doing so, the wind will veer back northward and slightly revive. Thus, scattered minor cloud banks will reach us on Saturday and on Sunday. These clouds will not result in any precipitation, but a significant rise in temperature. Perfectly nice conditions, expected on Friday, will be followed by nice conditions, forecast for the weekend. At the beginning of next week, the core of the weather-determining high will settle down exactly over our area. Bright sunshine and clear skies will take command of the weather. Moreover, spring-like mild temperatures will set in

Looking like pleasant weather to be out, but not so good for fresh powder.
snow report
I was basing that on Wetterzentrale, GFS Deterministic model, with the 10 day meteogram. 00 and 06 runs give some snow for those periods. But I guess the valid models are the ensembles. (never quite got the difference between the runs)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richjp wrote:
What I always liked about Gunner was that he usually played his music almost non stop without any intervening banter or faffing about.

I always found it interesting as well to hear an Austrian, assuming he is Austrian, playing Bob Marley which he used to do quite a bit.

Yeah he's Austrian, lives down the valley from St Anton In Bludenz if I remember correctly. Its also interesting hearing him sing corazon espinado in Spanish which he does surprisingly well considering he doesnt speak Spanish
snow report
DB wrote:
@boabski,

Would you mind asking Gunar when his last performance in St Anton will be this season and send me a PM or post it here.

http://youtube.com/v/lKZC4OzaXdQ

Yeah I'd be interested in knowing when his last gig is too. We will be in town early March but I was thinking of making a late season visit too so I might be around for that depending on the dates.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, that's no so difficult. ZAMG does not do long term forecasts, at least not easily accessible. Meteoblue is in nearby Basel. I prefer local weather services instead of Dutch anglophone commerce.
latest report
@JohnS4, @DB, mid to late march according to my brother in law

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 10-02-23 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@boabski,
Thanks
snow report
I fear the pub/bar our roving reporter speaks of is Pub 37...set to go the same way as Jacksie's and the previous incarnation of the Underground. This would be another sad loss to the town.
ski holidays
richjp wrote:

SW helps alot ..he was one of the first to use the tech in Austria Very Happy Very Happy Been fooling folks for decaades.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why do Brits travel wih so much luggage for just a one week Holiday..... it is like they are moving House (forever)??

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No change in Weather... (new snow) .. It will get significantly warmer next week

https://www.meinbezirk.at/tirol/c-lokales/viel-sonnenschein-und-frostige-naechte-am-wochenende_a5864398

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best customer nowaysa are 100% Eastern Europeans .. They know how to Tip !!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apres Ski Bars looking to Close (last day) on April 9th but i would not be surprised this is bought forward to April 2nd
snow conditions
Valluga wrote:
I fear the pub/bar our roving reporter speaks of is Pub 37...set to go the same way as Jacksie's and the previous incarnation of the Underground. This would be another sad loss to the town.

Yes that wouldn't be surprising, it will be a shame though I always wondered how it made enough money to stay open, I mean it's really tiny. I've not been in it for the last few years but will make a point of having a farewell drink in there this year.
snow report
JohnS4 wrote:
I always wondered how it made enough money to stay open, I mean it's really tiny. I've not been in it for the last few years but will make a point of having a farewell drink in there this year.

It is the only place in St Anton that is open all year.. €€€€€ !!

Anyway ..downtown St Anton is History... It really began the final closing down 10 years ago

It all happens now (& will grow) in Nasserein..

http://youtube.com/v/5TVfg6Efupw

http://youtube.com/v/J3urJvxHlKM

http://youtube.com/v/M-ix09dm9PY
snow report
I am surprised by this:

Quote:
Anyway ..downtown St Anton is History... It really began the final closing down 10 years ago

It all happens now (& will grow) in Nasserein..

I have not seen anything new in Nasserein, certainly not bars, or similar. It is largely a quiet, residential/accommodation area, apart perhaps from the area around N’Bahn valley station. Odd place to centre your hospitality business growth. On what do you base your comment, @stanton?

The crowds have arrived and thus it will be for the next month.

The mild weather has also arrived and it looks to be with us for at least a week. No significant cooling in the 7 day local forecast. The snow on pistes getting significant sun radiation, like Kandahar and Nasserein, has changed. Still, we have snow, sun, and we are skiing… so what’s not to like!?!

14 Feb Update: spring has sprung - well & truly! Very warm today. Bluebird and no wind, but the sun has really done a job on the snow. Slush on south-facing slopes. Caffè latte pistes in Lech. Best snow & skiing was in Warth.
snow report
Weather

This weekend possibly a top up of Snow in the hill & Rain downtown ... It is still unclear ..

@ulmerhutte, Not sure why your surprised .. Downtown has been closing down for years.. I could list all the places (Bars/clubs) that have gone/closed and have not been replaced ..most have been converted back into Apartments etc...

There is an active working group in the Gemeinde on with the specific subject "apres-ski and noise" The Tourism board has an active image campaign going ..The w/group is trying to find out what addditional measures can be taken & who bears repsponsibilty for incidents (trouble) and even a University Proffesor has been appointed to see what next steps can be taken ... All active partys (Tourist board, Board of the Gemeinde) are in full support ..
snow report
@stanton, Simple answer: we very rarely go out. The apres and bar scene does not appeal to us.

That said, you have not answered my question as to why you think Nasserein will become the new entertainment centre.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy