Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2021/2022 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
22nd January

Dressed up a bit warmer this morning, very cold, sunny and clear. Snow was perfect for what we wanted to do, so did lots of laps of Gron and the reds with VI skier skiing very closely, short and long turns, getting much faster. Got too busy by about 12, so came home about 13.00, with a deserted Timalets which was fun.

They had a minute lift stop at 11.30am in respect of the little girl who passed away last Saturday in Flaine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our latest 360 photos of various points in the Grand Massif

Click on the link, then press play and the various photos will appear as thumbnails at the bottom of the picture

Enjoy! Very Happy Very Happy

https://bit.ly/3JQfmCc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Zorrac, great pics!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all, looking for some input from this forum !we were last in Les Carroz in March 2020 just before lockdown so dying to get back on the slopes. We have booked a 3 day trip just 3 of of us from Friday 4th of Feb to the Tuesday. We have only booked flights so far ( friends letting us use their apartment Smile ) Just a bit concerned how the snow will be by then as not much fresh snow forecast on the horizon. We are really only piste skiers - intermediate level so off piste not a worry. How are the slopes holding up - can they survive another 2 weeks without snow? On the web cams slopes still look good and I think it has been very cold so maybe making snow.....If the ski-ing looked like being poor we might not go as have not yet committed to transfers, passes , equipment etc. Also have 4 days booked in Italy at the start of March to look forward to with a larger group. Any advice/views gratefully received!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dunc999, Thank you, should be some more later as we took lots today.

Snow was hard base with sugar on top, a few thin bits, e.g. bergin in morillon, and sairon had lots of marbles at the bottom, but sharp edges and if you like piste sking its fine. Also a bit busier than last week, with quite a few stag do type things going on, skiing in costumes eg. Pink panther, tigger etc etc, and some sort of t-rex that was so big he got a bit stuck on biollares!! It seemed to be lots of big groups skiing together. Overall pistes are fine, off piste is crusty and rough.

@Simone, Pistes will be fine, and will probably stay as above, as there is basically a deep hard base. Chamonix meteo thinks it may become unsettled next week.

You may find it rather busy as that is the first week of French school hols, only 1 area on holiday, so it should be ok, but Sunday will be rather busy. see here for dates https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4739608
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
interesting on Gers/Faust, is that just the lifts that are shut and I could technically ski tour up the Gers bowl?

Yes you could like we did. We did Gers from the Flaine side, but people had already done it from the Grands Vans and toured back up. I am guessing now Gers is a tracked out mess and its open, so not worth the effort, unless you like steep moguls... Two years ago Lindars was closed yet again, but that didn't stop us skinning up and having a blast on the way down...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tuesday 25th January

Doesn't seem a month ago it was Christmas, time goes quickly...........on to the snow

Excellent day in the sun, with really well groomed pistes in Les Carroz and but mostly we skied Morillon. They have been farming snow from all over the place, but a few rocks sticking out in places, VI skier managed to find one, so a bit of a dent to repair tonight. Sairon in particular was excellent, really superb snow. Seemed slightly less people today, saw the huge T rex person again, somewhat mad, but cool in a weird way! and met another VI skier and guide which was interesting, from Belgium and part of the Blind Challenge, see here http://www.blindchallenge.eu/

Have done some more 360 photos, 2 new ones from Morillon, click on the link, then press play and the various photos will appear as thumbnails at the bottom of the picture, new ones at the start.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great pictures Zorrac - the snow does look like it is holding up so even if nothing until the 4th Feb pistes should be ok! Forecasts are threatening some snow next week although the chances seems to be reducing - looking at the weather thread on this forum Austria is the likely recipient of all the snow.
Thinking of getting a lesson while we are there - have not had one for years but have lots to learn. Any Instructor or ski school you would recommend . With French holidays starting might be difficult to get one....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Simone, ESF in les carroz is a good one, but for private lessons I have been told Lynne Stainbrook in Flaine is very good, friends of our use him alot

https://en.flaine.com/directory/post/flaine-ski-clinic
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thursday 27th January

Mostly skied Flaine today, much busier than the Les Carroz and Morillon end, and snow is much harder. Actually found our first lift queue at Vernant, but only 5 mins. Super sunny day, warmer than previous. Quietest area was Aujon, and Flaine lifties were superb helping my VI skier, especially the one at the Aujon drag, very impressed. There was even some powder (well sort of) off the runs at Aujon.

They are preparing lindars nord to open, and piste basher was working in a roped off area around the lift filling the holes

We did lots more photos, just got to be uploaded so will appear in the next few days
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friday 28th January

Penultimate day for us, stayed over in Les Carroz and Morillon, snow hard but ok, softened up at lunchtime. Bergin was the only run that we should have avoided as quite a few rocks / twigs sticking out.

Plein soleil / timalets was so good we did it 3 times, everything emptied between 12 and 2 which made things fun. Sairon lift stopped a number of times which made it a bit of a queue to get on. Again lots of large groups skiing, so busy on a run, and then totally empty.

Last morning tomorrow until Easter
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit late, but Saturday morning report. Only did Les carroz as it was quiet first thing. Hard snow, and needs more or it, hopefully arriving Monday, but even zorta had grass sticking out, but was fine to ski. Got v busy by 12, so we called it a day.

Hopefully back at Easter.........
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@zorrac - thanks for all the snow reports. Here’s hoping for some snow nest week - we arrive on Friday . Every weather forecast seems different depending on the site I look at !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been in Flaine for about 9 days. On piste conditions generally very good but the off piste is gnarly so I've been avoiding that. Some of the pistes are getting quite scraped towards the end of the day but the cold temperatures means they are not getting slushy. There has hardly been a cloud in the sky since I arrived, so beautiful skiing weather. More snow is needed, about 25cm forecast for Tuesday/Wednesday, so fingers crossed. Some of the pistes are even wearing so thin that grass/gravel etc is showing through in a few places.

The Serpentine in Flaine has been diverted round the back of the Blanchot restaurant, joining the piste about 100m down. This could be a reaction to the tragic accident a few weeks ago.

This weekend has been quite busy, judging by the number of cars in the car park I would guess that this is day trippers. Still nothing compared with new year/half term, though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deleted double post
snow conditions
There was some lovely powder off piste yesterday (Tuesday) in the Flaine bowl, not deep but very skiable. This morning the visibility was poor so we mainly stayed on piste. The snow off piste was very heavy (wet) and extremely hard work. On piste was much better and the runs either side of the Aujon drag were lovely to ski. It was snowing most of the morning but has now stopped and it is brightening up. A few hours this afternoon is looking promising.
snow report
Thanks for the updates Chris - we are arriving on Friday so great to see some new snow! really looking forward to it!
ski holidays
The visibility improved this afternoon but was very variable. The pistes were very chopped up and when the light was bad it made skiing quite difficult and very hard on the legs. We tried going out of the bowl down to Molliets but it was no better. Came back into the bowl and did a few more runs before calling it a day.
latest report
Added two more 360 photos, so you can go down Stade in Morillon!

Click on the link, then press play and the various photos will appear as thumbnails at the bottom of the picture

Stade are the last two

ski holidays
Anyone there for a snow report?

Have added some more 360's, the new ones are the first ones in the list. Les Molliets chair top and bottom, plus others

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 8-02-22 21:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Over 20cm on Sunday night. Sun out Monday at 10.30. Stellar off piste in Flaine bowl. Lovely snow skier’s left in Pente a Jules. Gers closed.
Today more sun, and Gers open. Off piste mixed. Shaded and untracked lovely, but where it had caught sun some refreeze.
Pistes will be lovely tomorrow?
ski holidays
Had a great 3 and a half days in les Carroz- pistes were in great condition and good weather on Friday, Sat and Sun although I found it very cold! Treated to 20cms as @BAN says on Sunday night for a lovely last day's skiing. We're not really off piste skiers but could play a bit in the powder and admire the skills of the more serious off-pisteurs! Only really icy run we found was the Pacotoy under the Coulouvrier chair. Each day seemed busier than the next but really only had to Q at the Gondola in les Carroz in the morning. Top of the Tete de Saix the usual carnage by the end of the day - we avoid it if we can at all!
Off to Madonna di Campiglio for a short trip in the beginning of March but don't think it can beat what we had in the Grand Massif!
snow conditions
Deleted

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 9-02-22 21:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mardi. No new snow. Skied over from Flaine to Vercland: crowd going other way.
Pistes fine. A few small bumps.
For those who fancy spoiling themselves, Grand Cret by 17th marker of piste of same name is lovely and food excellent.
Coulouvier back up and skied down to Les Carroz. Every man and dog there so headed back via Croc Bar. TBC…
ski holidays
Last day. Clear skies and cool breeze. Pistes in Flaine in great shape. French holidays upon us, and lifts very congested until 13.00. Time for us to move on, returning in a fortnight...
ski holidays
@BAN, Thank you, will get even busier over the next couple of weeks

My VI skier has done some photos on her website of the Grand Massif, have a look if people would like to.

https://sites.google.com/threesixtysphere.com/threesixtysphere/photo-collections/massif-sunrise
latest report
Flew in yesterday morning and had a quick ski in the afternoon. Few laps of tête de saix - snow better than I thought it would be as was quite warm. V busy and the first pitch down tête was not for the faint hearted. Scraped hard between moguls and lots of people picking their way down. Apart from that was fun though. Snow hard , but quite good.

Rained hard in the valley overnight, which turned to wet snow and stopped around 11 this morning. Snow line looked to be about 1200 metres. Went up , pottered around a bit and had an early lunch whilst waiting for the fog to clear which it did around 130. Went over to morillon and Carroz and had a fantastic day.

Some places still mogulled and scrapey, but apart from that fantastic snow. Lots of fun just off the sides and really was an excellent days skiing.
ski holidays
Skied this morning, nice and quiet before half term madness.

Stayed Samoens side as had to get back early to meet friends. Snow harder than yesterday but still in quite good condition. Skied colouvrier from 1600 for the first time in ages. V hard and scraped all the way down - now I remember why I’m not keen on this piste.

More snow forecast this week which will be welcome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all - quick q - how convenient is Morillon village as a base? Am looking at it for first week of March (5th-12th). Do the runs down from Les Esserts to Morillon village tend to stay navigable, or might you often find yourself taking the gondola down at the end of the day?
ski holidays
@parigi, Just take the gondola down its no big deal loads of people do and for a lot of most seasons have to. I have not skied Doina for a few years, but when I have done before, it was always really thin.
snow report
Yep agreed. Although they have snowmaking all the way to the bottom now. I’m in Morillon this morning lapping Marvel with some beginner friends so I’ll probably ski down it today. I’ll report back!
ski holidays
First day of half term holidays today and it was really good. Drove some friends to morillon and got there at 830 and car park was half full. By the time we got to the lift it was running and queue was small.

Lapped Marvel a few times. Snow in good condition. Took my son to the snow park on the side of Sairon and he enjoyed doing the jump there. Lapped Biollaires a few times as snow was really nice.

Down Sairon and lunch at Morillon then one more run of Marvel with our friends. They downloaded and I skied Doina with my son. Wasn’t bad actually - although v scratchy and sugary in places with all the man made snow.

Glorious weather but change tomorrow I think.
snow report
Thanks Zorrac, and thanks for the report Ghanny! Sounds like you've had a good day of it!
latest report
Been in Flaine since last Saturday. Snowed last night and on and off all today. Total of about 20cm, I would guess. Visibility today quite poor higher up but when it cleared there was some lovely fresh snow to ski on but the pistes got very bumpy by the end of the day. Went off piste under the Tetes de Verds chair and to the left of the Almandine piste, which was lovely when the cloud lifted. More snow forecast for tomorrow so looking good for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
Went out with friends today for more beginner marvel action. Although I squeezed a couple of laps of Sairon with my son. Snowing all morning although turning to sleet / rain and slushy snow as you get towards Sairon chair.

Higher up just great. Visibility ok, snow and not too many people.

Skied Doina again - like London buses as haven’t skied that piste in at least 5 years. Instead of scratchy snow it’s now heavy sludge / slush. But still nice to be able to ski down. Morillon car park virtually empty at 840.

Weather not looking great tomorrow - rain at 1600 affording to yr.no
snow report
It's been raining most of the night in Flaine at resort level and it is still raining now. Everywhere is very slushy. Don't know where the snow/rain level is/was but the skiing condition don't look great. After the fresh snow yesterday this is very disappointing.
ski holidays
V warm today. 17 degrees on Chariande express lift. Snow not great unsurprisingly. Scraped at top and sludgy down below.

Also large queues at Chariande this morning. Lapped a couple of times and now it’s closed as high winds at the top.
snow report
Yesterday (Thursday) there was very heavy piste conditions coupled with poor visibility. Raining on and off all day with very low cloud most of the day. Tried going out of the bowl this pm but the vis at the top of Tetes des Saix was dreadful. Very busy, everyone skiing very slowly and carefully, not much fun at all.

Today much better. Early morning the pistes were quite hard, the previous day's rain having frozen, but softened up in the afternoon. Much warmer today but clear. This afternoon the wind got up and some of the lifts closed and the DMC seemed to be running at half speed. The wind blew the snow off the more north-facing slopes and some runs (Lapiaz, eg) were like sheets of ice. There were nice conditions on Faust, Crystal and Serpentine. Off home tomorrow, hope to be back at the end of March.
snow report
Hi!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ‘shared’ transfer into Flaine from GVA?

I have booked a private transfer for a party of 8 with alps2alps whom we have used before.

Unfortunately, one of my party can’t fly with us now due to having to attend a funeral… but, he is planning on flying out the next morning. Problem is, I’ve struggled to find a shared transfer company at a sensible price.

Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
[quote="Richie_S"]Hi!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a ‘shared’ transfer into Flaine from GVA?

I have booked a private transfer for a party of 8 with alps2alps whom we have used before.

Unfortunately, one of my party can’t fly with us now due to having to attend a funeral… but, he is planning on flying out the next morning. Problem is, I’ve struggled to find a shared transfer company at a sensible price.

Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy