Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Plenty of places to buy a baguette in Val Claret? We got a bit over excited and bought way too much fancy cheese and ham here in Les Arcs. We’ll be having sandwiches most days for the next week I think.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sbooker, Of course! There is a French statute that says a Frenchman must be able to buy a baguette within 100m of his mistresses front door.

Maison Chevallot is probably the best in Val Claret next door to the Sherpa if you want anything more than a basic baguette.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Or is it in addition to those two?

Yes, indeed, @mountainaddict, the new free Heliport car park is in addition to the small free one in Les Boisses at the bus turn
Thanks bobski62.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3 seasons in one run! It was a cold and clear start with a breeze stronger then expected at altitude. It did cloud over mid afternoon, but nothing over dramatic. I was glad of an extra layer, especially with the breeze. The pistes were firm early on around the Palet area but there was enough powdery stuff on the surface to allow you to turn. The aim was Sunday lunch at Rosée Blanche, so we went the long way round by Lanches and Genepy which was fine but cold. Prariond is getting very slick though. Tufs managed to stop with us about 3 chairs from the top where there was a brutal gusty wind - just like December. As we descended we passed through January, February and March and reached April at the Triffolet where there were large piles of very soft snow, not quite slush but not far off (it was only 1145). So yes every run is now different and changing through the day.

There might be a few clouds around in the morning, but generally a sunny but cold day out of the sun, that cheeky wind at altitude will be lurking to chill you on the chairs. Overnight it will be cold and Tuesday should be sunny all day, and perhaps a degree or 2 colder. Wednesday is a repeat but a degree or two warmer. Wednesday evening will be warmer, the air is changing and Thursday may see a few clouds but it will be much warmer, a slush fest in the afternoon. This weather pattern does not look like changing until well into next week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We checked into our accommodation just after lunch. It’s next to Charlies Bar. Nice little place. We had lunch at the chicken place called Les Poulettes. Very nice and wonderful in the sun.

I booked morning lessons with Evo 2. I may be in the same class as my wife. The meeting point is at the Evo 2 office near the Tufs lift. Now in the bar at Couloir. Trying to work out the lay of the land. If we finish the day at the bottom of the funicular or Tichots lift how do we get back to the accommodation? Seems a long walk. Take the bus?

We finish lessons at 12 noon. Are there any complimentary ‘show you the mountain’ type tours that I have seen on other hills? If anyone is in Tignes and want to show a couple of forty something Aussies the sights one day please shout out. Same goes for late afternoon beers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, to get home from Tichot etc take the Bollin lift, at the top cross in front of the Bollin restaurant and either ski down past the bottom of the Tufs lift and walk through the centre or as that run turns left go straight on and the track (we call it dog sh’t alley) ends by the golf car park. Walk down the hill past the cinema and you will be close to your accommodation on the left.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ski lots,
Thanks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got back Saturday night from a brilliant week in Le Lac. Just wanted to give a shout out to anyone who helped with my questions in the run up to our trip. Much appreciated.
It was a joy to be back out for the first time since 2018. Impossible to complain about the weather or the conditions - both were perfectly fine.
Quick mention for the ski schools the kids were in. Older girls (8 and 6) were with Oxygene. They got very lucky as they were the only ones in the class for the first 3 days - they were joined by a boy for the last 3 days. Basically private lessons for the week which was great. The instructor was very nice and did a great job with them. Overall Oxygene were a pleasure to deal with.
The youngest girl (2 years and 11 months) was with Evolution 2. Again, nothing but good things to say about them. She loved it and they took great care of her.
Highlight of the week was the last 2 afternoons going down blue runs with the older girls for the first time. Memories for a lifetime.

Next year I will be avoiding Geneva airport if at all possible.........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A glorious start to the day, blue skies and sunshine, and temperatures on the 'parade square' that belied those aloft and the penetrating breeze that made it feel like early February. The cold nights are really helping but you have to be quite careful of very hard surfaces under a shallow coating of soft stuff in certain places, notably today the glaciers run on the Solaise which was, well, what is French for boiler plate? Even with the cold the strength of the Sun is making the sunnyside runs home very lumpy by mid afternoon.

So, it was a Yorkshire snowHeads day out as I teamed up with @Lynnecha and mates for a trip to Le Fornet. We went the direct none bus route which meant Face at 10am, which was in really good nick (not often you hear me say that), bit firm at the top, perfect for most of the way down until a couple of 100 meters from the bubbles where it was getting soft. A few laps of the Glaciers chair was followed by coffee at Cascades and then lap after lap of the Cascades chair, its never that busy on a Monday! The queue for lunch over there was still large at 1.45. So I had to break away to get home, as I have to be out early tonight for an evening of Savoyarde folk dancing and community singing. From the Solaise side of the up and over to The Tov bus stop in Lac took me 32 minutes, still life in the old dog after 2 years off.

In the last hour or so a hazy layer of high cloud has appeared, but that should dissipate overnight to leave us with a Tuesday identical to today. Strangely enough Wednesday will be the same as well. Thursday - you guessed it, maybe 3 degrees warmer and slightly less breeze so warm in the afternoon. There's going to be huge changes for Friday - we may see a cloud in the afternoon (and it will be a couple of degrees warmer again).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, As you know we're due to arrive in a few days time. Historically our trips go one of two ways. 40-50 cms of fresh snow on or just after our arrival that tend to shut things down for half a day or so.

Or, wall to wall sunshine and not a flocon to be seen. I'd quite like it be the 1st scenario but I've just bought some Cat 4 sunnies and a fair sized bottle of factor 50 sunscreen.

Quote:

o, it was a Yorkshire snowHeads day out

Flat caps and whippets obligatory... sounds like a grand day out Cool .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, so glad you could join us- a grand day out. Seriously impressed by your time back to the Lac bus stop. Suffice to say we were a bit slower than that! I think we rolled into the apartment about 16.30- although a short refreshment break was included. lol:

Hope the birthday party was good fun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GeorgeVII wrote:

Out here it’s baseball caps and whippets with the Barnsley lass leading the way followed by the southern softie Golden retriever

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GeorgeVII, I think its going to be the second option, until at least the middle of next week.

Anyway, to carry on the theme, I am sat here with a mug of Yorkshire tea! The sky was unobscured today and it was a very deep blue. Between the bouts of community singing last night the talk was of the arrival of spring snow. But mainly below Lac and on the sunny slopes above the road (Glattier Vepier etc) but the egress involved walking down the grass as the white stuff does not come down to the road. So we went on an explore to assess how things were developing higher, the answer not really yet. With the very cold nights, there is not enough warmth to get things really going yet. But as both the days and the nights warm up later this week, we may see this changing. As we wandered there was no queue for the cable car so I went up the Motte for the first time this season. I was surprised to see how much snow/ice has vanished in the last 2 years. The exits steps to the left have been taken away. The runs are very narrow down, the prognosis for summer skiing does not look good unless there is a lot more snow. Getting through to Leisse is now a very different route, the Leisse slope was still rock hard, even though it had been in the sun for a good few hours.

Looks like the next 4 days will be a repeat of today with a gradual increase in temperature, there may be the odd cloud bothering the peaks on Friday and Saturday. Friday night will be the first warmer night, and Saturday will be scorchio. TBH I can't dress it up any more!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’re having lessons with Pierre from Evolution 2. He apparently competed for France in Freestyle skiing. He’s a lovely chap and a very good instructor. The lessons are informative and fun and interesting. I highly recommend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another sunny day.... Just a quick walk up Palafour for me this morning before attending to domestic trivia in the apartment and a siesta. Finally managed to get a table at Mendikoa tonight, hope its as good as its reputation.

Thursday will be another Dame Vera, just like today, with just the odd mountain breeze to chill the air. The nights are becoming less cold so the pistes may soften earlier. There may be a few fluffy clouds on Friday morning, but yet another nice day. Saturday back to the sunshine and warm days. There is some disagreement over the amount of cloud for Sunday depending how far a weather feature comes towards us from the South, we'll see closer to the time. As for the longer outlook, it appears more unsettled from Wednesday onwards with potential for some snow (or rain below about 1700m). That's a long way off though.
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
GeorgeVII wrote:

Out here it’s baseball caps and whippets with the Barnsley lass leading the way followed by the southern softie Golden retriever

Aha - 'magic chutes' at the bottom of the Grand Vallon! That was chalky that day eh!
ski holidays
And the cracked record continues to play another bluebird day. But first last night, well the Mendikoa lived up to expectations. A small but varied menu and good wine list. I had the crab in seafood sauce, Scallops and Mango in Chocolate (clearly the descriptions were a bit more convoluted!). Most of the team opted for the Cote de Boeuf, safe to say the dog owned by one of the team will be well fed for a fortnight! About €60 for 3 courses and half a bottle of wine each, all in all a top night out. But generally, you have to book about a week in advance as there is only 40 covers.

A ski round the Solaise today and coffee at the top of the Bubble, the pistes are getting harder and there are more slick patches to negotiate as the days go on. Nothing really of note today other than it was Chaudannes lifts day to break down, long way back to Brev via Aiguille Percée of the bus.

Tomorrow, will be like today in terms of warmth and light winds, and so will Saturday although there may be a few fluffy clouds about. Same for Sunday really. Normal service will be resumed on Monday. Change is afoot for Tuesday, currently it looks like being cloudy all day, but the forecasts vary, ahead of precipitation of one form or another on Wednesday or Thursday. Not nailed on yet but snow is on the way as long as you are above 1800m or so.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
Aha - 'magic chutes' at the bottom of the Grand Vallon! That was chalky that day eh!

Good spot: very chalky back then.
The course looks lethal for the Signal Derby!
Saw them putting out 6” foam “protection” for various obstacles - not entirely sure of their protective effectiveness: god bless them!
ski holidays
Grinning - it certainly was yes! As far as the Signal Derby - blimey - bonkers! Looking forward to seeing some pics appearing tomorrow!
snow report
There were a few mares tails this morning as I wandered round the village attending to administrative trivia and a cheerio coffee with @Lynnecha. But they soon vanished leaving and left us with another warm spring day.

The weather: tomorrow will be another fine day, a little more breeze than today, perhaps. There will be a bit more cloud about on Sunday as a feature to the south ebbs and flows, it will still be essentially a nice day, but out of the sun you may need a jacket on the terrace. Monday returns to blue skies and sunshine before it all starts to change on Tuesday, the timings of the approaching fronts are still a little uncertain but currently Tuesday will start OK but will cloud over to become overcast by the end of the afternoon. There will be showers of rain/sleet/or snow on Wednesday and maybe some longer periods of precipitation, but there will be little wind so where there is snow (above about 1900m) it offers a vast improvement. If you are heading to a resort below 1600m a brolly would be a good idea!

The roads are looking surprisingly quiet tomorrow, the forecast is for 20k vehicles heading our way and 23k heading away. So maybe a few slow km on the way down between 10 and 1300hrs. On the way up - no snags. As for flying its all looking good (although Grenoble and Chambery are late with the most recent forecast). It will be hazy over most of the UK, the only fly in the ointment is a slim chance f fog at Glasgow, but that wont stop the wheels going round. Good luck going through check in security at the airports though, delays seem to be happening across Europe.
snow conditions
So we'll be in the area in 3 weeks time. Noticed today the free lifts that run in Tignes aimed at beginners which is ideal as my girlfriends' sister and fella are both first times, having had some lessons at the Castleford snowdome, so that's day 1 sorted without the need for a lift pass, which saves a bit of money.

Being much higher than Morzine at least we'll get to see some snow around the apartment unlike last weekend, which makes for a nice feel around to town especially for newbies that have never been to the mountains before.

Looking forward to a nice long weekend, hopefully plenty of sun! snowHead
snow report
@swskier, Depending on who is in their group and the progress they make a lift pass is often not required until Day 3 or 4. The free Rosset and Almes chairs provide some challenging skiing for beginners.
snow report
Following some local advice we sent off under blue skies to do the Tour de Charvet today. It was a bit firm at the top but soft after the first ridge and nice to get away from the hordes on piste for a change. That said we did have to avoid some non white patches, maybe only a week or so left in it unless we get significant snowfalls. The pistes are still generally good, if a little firm in places and a few stones are now starting to appear, notably on Piste L.

Tomorrow will be like today, but maybe a few more clouds and a stiff breeze at lower altitudes. Monday will be lovely, but high cloud will encroach by close of play. Tuesday looks like being mainly cloudy with a hint of sun now and again, it will thicken in the late afternoon. The big change will be on Wednesday with showers of rain or snow (or anything in between) its a bit early to say where the snowline will be, hopefully just below Val D'Isere centre, the sun may make the odd appearance between showers.

It looks like being a bit murky in the UK in the morning, but clearing quickly so if any fog patches do form they will not affect take offs and it will be clear for the return journeys. Over here will be spring like, cos it is!
ski holidays
Awesome updates from@chocksaway thanks.

We arrived today. Clear run up the hill, almost no traffic at 9am.
snow report
Morning - have finally got to tignes fourth time lucky after 3 cancellations - so thrilled. Has been a long time since we were here and trying to orient myself as to where to take the family for the best skiing in the conditions morning and afternoon. Anyone here who has got any advice? Kids can ski anything on piste and easy off piste if the snow comes later in the week so some help with which direction is best to head would be so helpful. Thank you
ski holidays
@joanna,
Head low first thing & work your way higher through the day as the pistes soften up. Eastern facing, then Southern, Western & Northern facing as the day progresses - to help your orientation, the Grand Motte glacier in Tignes faces North.
ski holidays
A bit cloudy and a bit cooler today. There was definition all day so nothing too dramatic, the sun was there but not showing itself. We had a trip down to Brev, firm at the top, soft but not slushy at the bottom around 12. We didn't fancy Sache, but actually looking up the steep pitch from the corner looked OK. Generally the place seemed quiet, especially in La Daille where it just happened to be croc o'clock.

The sky will clear tonight as this weak feature heads south, so tomorrow will be scorchio, with blue skies till mid afternoon. The thin veil of cloud will then obscure the sun by the time the pub is open. Tuesday will be overcast but the air will still be warm, hopefully a bit like today. But, there may be a few light showers as the lifts close. After that there is a bit of a battle on, a cold front is heading from the UK which will win out in the end, meaning the end of the week will be much colder. But from the south there is an area of low pressure with numerous troughs and we are sandwiched in the middle. So it makes it a bit tricky to predict what is going to happen and the snow depths expected will fluctuate on the Apps. But Wednesday will be a day of showers, sleet below the Dam (ish), hopefully snow above. I don't think we'll need the sun, so a day for low light eyeware. Thursday will be another day of showers but there will be sunny periods hopefully, it will be a case of picking your moment.

Oh, a few days ago we we were discussing lifts, The Marais replacement was subject to a departmental inquiry. I started with the judgement, that was a mere 36 pages of closely typed academic French. Basically, with a couple of caveats its a goer. For a laugh I opened the document submitted by the village, 150 pages of the same. This was all held last summer, but I can't find a start work date. Same for the new Tichot gondola, at the top of which there will be a new beginners area with a magic carpet, no date, but the relatively new Tichot Chair will be moved to replace the Aiguille Rouge. Hurrah!
snow report
@chocksaway, Almes and Rosset I had noticed, with blue runs off them.

The girlfriend and I are going to take the chance to try out snowboarding, as her sister is likely to be a very nervous beginner still. BiL seems to have picked it up well from lessons at castleford, and is signed off for recreational practise there, so possibility he might get to buying a lift pass, but at most, we might buy 1 day.

Any recommendations for best aprés bars in Le Lac? Somewhere pretty lively.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@sbooker, Of course! There is a French statute that says a Frenchman must be able to buy a baguette within 100m of his mistresses front door.
And as we have a lot of mistresses like any proper frenchman, you can imagine the number of Boulangeries !
snow conditions
@swskier, Don't forget the free Lavachet drag as well, nice wide gentle slopes. As for Apres, tonight in the sun - on the terrace at the Loop, up the promenade du rosset from the centre. Other nights Loop, Marmottes Arms in the lower prt of the Palafour building or the Moose a bit further up the Palafour gallery.

@thierryd, Laughing Laughing Laughing

What a glorious day. Blue skies and warm sunshine, it was almost too hot for ski kit on the terrace at Rosée Blanche.....

And the first Marmotte has been spotted under the Chaudannes lift, the lifty was very excited!

Also today as part of the Live in Tignes programme we had a Bluegrass Trio at the top of the Tov, very lively and what a back drop to the stage - the Grande Casse.

Twas a gentle ski around today with some folks that have not been for 2 years, so nothing dramatic. Under the sun the pistes soon softened up, so again pick your altitude and aspect carefully.

Sadly the sun will not appear tomorrow I dont think, it should be mostly high level cloud so there may be some definition especially in the morning. It will thicken in the afternoon and there may be a shower as happy hour draws to a close. It will feel a lot cooler than today, though. Wednesday will be cloudy with intermittent snow showers, nothing to heavy and it looks like its going to be a bit cooler than we thought a couple of days ago, so a bit damp in Brev perhaps, snow higher than there. Thursday will be a day of sunny spells and showers, the cold air from the UK will have arrived by then, so much cooler and the showers wil be snow. Friday may also be a day of sunny periods and snow showers, though that forecast is a bit uncertain. The models cannot agree on the amount of snow as its a messy synoptic situation. From Wed to Fri we could have 5cm or we could have 35!
snow report
Those marmottes are getting out earlier & earlier. I was in Tignes nearly 20 years ago in the middle of April & the first marmottes were spotted while we were there (we spotted one under the Palafour lift). Our ski instructor told us back then that they were super early to be out in mid April!
latest report
Coming over to Tignes with the family from 3 April after 3 years of involuntary skiing. I know there's a bit of snow probably on the way but what's the odds of being able to ski down (pleasantly) to Les Boisses or Les Brevieres? Should we not bother (we're staying in Val C) or is it a case of doing that area first thing in the morning and then heading progressively higher? Just not sure how the pistes down to those villages are holding up and I particularly hate narrow/ice/scraped runs. Thanks!
latest report
I'm sure I heard a marmotte last week when going up Chaudanne, couldn't spot it but recognise the whistle well.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Good shout for the Steak Dinner on Saturday evening, and a nice Red. An early meal that turned into a late night.

We had a leisurely drive down and I reckon that we spotted more canoes/kayaks and bike racks than ski boxes on cars heading South. As for Rosee's lunch, Mrs G7 reckons that the quiche is possibly the best she's ever tried. Piste skiing is surprisingly good. Even Fontaine Froid is holding up. Marmottes restaurant continues to serve up good value grub too. It's great to be back after a 2 year break.
ski holidays
@swskier, For lively apres ski there's always Coco Rico's. It's in Val Claret but the free buses stop right alongside the snow front there so it's simple enough to get back to Le Lac.
snow conditions
I'm driving up to Val Claret from Lyon airport on Thurs afternoon - if there is light snow am I likely to get away with snow tires or will I need chains.
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
@swskier, For lively apres ski there's always Coco Rico's. It's in Val Claret but the free buses stop right alongside the snow front there so it's simple enough to get back to Le Lac.

Just make sure you lock your skis/board up to something - there's been a spate of thefts - they spot the skis they want, wait for the bus, grab 'em and run... bye bye skis/snowboard and poof goes your apres ski fun.
latest report
@Extremophile, I don't ever recall so many instances of kit going missing. Even from ski lockers in apartment buildings. But yes, Coco's seems to have had more than it's share.
ski holidays
@Kettonskimum1971, Boisses, easily, but leave it till after 10 so it has softened a bit. You can then ski down the blue track to Brev, but you are likely to have to push a bit! Don't bother with Sache!

@GeorgeVII, Good night!

@NoMapNoCompass, No promises but I suspect snow tyres will be enough, even on a two weel drive. Given the temps and the amunt of snow I suspect the roads will be black to Boisses especially in the afternoon.

@Extremophile, Wise words, a mate has an apartment overlooking Coco's, he loves watching the i phone torch dance as folks try to find their skis pi$$ed as farts.

Well today was a full day out as some mates had arrived next door. First off we were in sun and there were clouds to the north and clouds to the south but we were the sunny filling to a cloudy sandwich, the gap closed during the day but the sun finally went from milky to missing at about 4. As the next few days are going to be grizzly we went high, the snow on Genepy was excellent, having been high we went low, down Sache via Palet, hard at the top, slushy moguls from the netted bend. We then lunched at Marmottes and did Solaise, mostly good, the top of the Cugnai piste was a bit slick, then back home via Trolles/JC which was OK at 4 as it had finally softened up.

The synoptic chart is a mess for the next few days with numerous fronts fighting it out over the Alps, so the detail will change hour by hour. But tomorrow will be cloudy with light showers all day, on and off. Meteo France thinks the rain snow line will be about 1800m, dropping to 1600m. The colder air to the north arrives on Thursday so again overcast with snow showers, some a bit heavier in the afternoon. The wind will also pick up so it may feel a bit more like winter. Friday may see breaks in the clouds between light snow showers, again a breeze will blow. Saturday will be similar, that may cause a bit of transfer nonsense with cars without snow tyres/chains/
latest report
@chocksaway, currently in Val Claret having a great time with the family and enjoying your daily reports, particularly the weather which has been spot on.
We are looking at driving early Saturday morning around 5.30 am in our hire car. It's French (Lyon airport) so no winter tyres. Should I be practising with the snow chains supplied in the boot? How good is the resort at keeping the road down to the dam clear? Thanks again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy