Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Steve Angus, That makes sense as well depending on which way it's blowing. On top of that there may well be local anabatic or katabatic winds, turbulence etc. So, I think it's fair to say, there's no easy or one answer.
Like a lot of things weather related it is easy to understand an effect in isolation, but when you throw in the interrelationships it gets mighty tricky. Hence those ginourmous computers in Exeter at the UK Met Office.
There's nowt like local knowledge to help as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adiabatic and Katabatic winds? Often feel the effects of these in the Lakes as the land warms up in the afternoon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GeorgeVII, Its a good job we don't have sea breezes to throw in the mix up here!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Minion1980, Sounds like you are after an old school shop with a decent man cave of bits and bobs. Sadly they are becoming a rarity. Maybe start with Tignes Spirit in Lavachet, then Sport 2000 on Rue de La Poste, bit more French required in the 2nd one!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@Steve Angus, That makes sense as well depending on which way it's blowing. On top of that there may well be local anabatic or katabatic winds, turbulence etc. So, I think it's fair to say, there's no easy or one answer.
Like a lot of things weather related it is easy to understand an effect in isolation, but when you throw in the interrelationships it gets mighty tricky. Hence those ginourmous computers in Exeter at the UK Met Office.
There's nowt like local knowledge to help as well.

With the lack of sun at the moment Ana and Kata winds luckily quite minimal! Slightly different note but I try an explain Retours in these parts of people and how it can be sunny in town but dumping at the Val glacier! Ah the mountains dont you just love the way they make their own weather - keeps it interesting eh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, thank you appreciate the help!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, thanks for all the forecasts! As you know we arrived this afternoon- easy journey from Troyes / no traffic to speak of and got parked up after unloading just in time for tea and biscuits.
Looking forward to catching up, but it’s great to be back after two years. Can that really be true? Yes, I think it is… Eh oh!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
And onto today, but just before I start the local paper is running an article on the closure of the sluice gates in the Dam 70 years ago, I have looked but can find no actual date, but 70 years ago plus or minus a few days was when the villagers of the old Tignes knew that there time was up and out they had to move. The rest, as they say, is history!

I heard they knew the gig was up when the French Government ordered their houses to be blown up. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bobski62, it has been gone for years not just this season . Plus it stopped well short of the new carbuncle .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick spot of flake news, we have had between a half and 1cm of snow overnight, its certainly made the place look prettier. It also looks like yesterdays forecast needs to be moved 3 hours to the right, should be sunny (or a thin veil of high cloud) for most of the day!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well the thin veil of cloud has just started to thicken as I type, so pretty much a good day's skiing was had by all. The resort is quite busy so it was great to go and play off piste down Familial with that 1cm of fresh snow, but in north eastern facing gullies it was up to 3 cm deep. So, by being gentle on the smooth surface we made some pretty lines, as Bowie sang - "We can be heroes for just one day" Laughing Laughing Laughing

After a couple of goes at that we headed for Solaise via Santons which was like Spaghetti Junction on a Friday afternoon and coffee in the Lounge at the top of Solaise, there were an occasional few turns here and there but nothing to write home about. L was much better as we came down just before the end of lunch to head back to Lac the long way round. There are one or two very hard bits on some of the pistes, some just a cm or so below the top, yes I had a 'moment' on Henri, luckily cat like reactions ( Madeye-Smiley saved the day. So lots of good skiing to be had, but concentration required.

I see in other news that the UK papers have caught up with Tom Daley's trip to Val last week. Seemingly he was crowd surfing in Cocos and got more than he bargained for, as I suspect most of the punters did as well Shocked

The weather over the next 4 days is going to warm up and the various models are disagreeing over the amount of cloud as the flabby high pressure ebbs and flows, so again LOOTW. The cloud will thicken tonight and there may be a bit more snow like last night, though Meteo France think not (boo). By first lifts we should have sunny periods and the cloud will clear to leave a warm afternoon with little wind, the temperatures may well still be positive in the villages through the night. Wednesday - Scorchio. A veil of high cloud may appear late afternoon, but otherwise factor 50 and beers on a terrace. That veil of cloud will persist through Thursday, making it feel cooler. But it will be off the tops of the mountains so no worries. Confidence in Friday's forecast is low, possibly sunny periods all day with light snow showers after dark.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Seemingly he was crowd surfing in Cocos and got more than he bargained for, as I suspect most of the punters did as well

Thread quote of the season
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deserves a link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10602855/amp/Tom-Daley-PANTS-pulled-overexcited-fan-crowd-surfing-France.html Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grinning wrote:
Deserves a link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10602855/amp/Tom-Daley-PANTS-pulled-overexcited-fan-crowd-surfing-France.html Very Happy Very Happy

OMG - I had forgotten to say he had been in town (shared a chair with Clare) but didnt know about this...... what goes on tour stays on tour - well apparently not!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got back from the local whist drive and it appears the snow gods have decided Meteo France were wrong! There's a good couple of inches underfoot and it's still snowing!
latest report
New snow! This is great news - coming to Tignes on Sunday for first time in 6 years !!!!
Bringing our 5 year old for ski school! Very Happy and she wants to see snow Very Happy
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:

This could explain a lot:-
https://en.tignes.net/events/highlights/european-snowpride-gay-pride
snow report
Here in VDI at the moment. Yesterday was a fabulous day. Was one of the first to get up fornet, and even my wife enjoyed a clear bashed red.

Today was like a different world. A dump of Sahara snow fell after the piste badgers went to bed, and Belvarde was horrible. Wife lost all confidence on a green, so it was back down to the Village to regain confidence and then lunch in VX. They remembered us from the carnage of Saturday’s rugby!!
snow report
Very warm! Day off today as I prepare dinner for a gang. But it has remained cloudy all day, but there has been a reasonable amount of light throughout. But the real tale was the water running down the road so things have softened a lot. So expect hard pistes in the morning as they harden up overnight. And as James says there is an orange tinge mostly on southern facing slopes, so another thing for the avalanche forecasters to worry about.

However, just seen a Bearded Vulture soaring over Palafour, so not all doom and gloom.

Over the next few days the forecast is going to chop and change, I have rarely seen such disagreement in the forecasts this close in. But tomorrow will be very warm and sunny, but a high veil of cloud will encroach in the afternoon sometime. Thursday will still be warm, but with a mixed variety of cloud so we could see anything from sunny spells to overcast, especially in the afternoon. Friday will be a bit coler, most forecasts have it as cloudy, some have light precipitation and windy in the late afternoon. As for Saturday, it could be snowy or it might be a day of sunshine its that variable!
snow report
Another day, another world.
The piste badgers (yeah, you thought that was a typo before!!) times it right last night and today’s warm start meant that the ‘face’ was a relatively simple piste at 10am.
It’s a warm day so the lower slopes are getting a little slushy, but visibility is so good that nothing is off limits.
snow report
Funny old day, it was very warm and the pistes are softening quickly, much more effort is required than last week. The avalanche forecasts are now talking about springtime rehumidification happening slowly but inexorably. The skies were a bit weird today, it was more hazy than sunny. I am just wondering if the very fine Saharan dust is still hanging in the atmosphere acting as condensation nuclei, giving a kind of orange mist. Not out for long today but we went up the Motte and round Genepy, the pistes got a bit lumpy quite quickly, there were quite a few early intermediates spearing off in all directions.

Tomorrow will be warm with light winds and will be mostly cloudy, it might be a bit brighter in the afternoon. Friday will be a bit cooler, thankfully, with a chance of a light shower in the afternoon, the wind will pick up at altitude just as everybody is taking their skis back to the hire shop. Saturday is still up for discussion, the forecasts are really struggling with the amount of cloud, so somewhere between sunny spells and overcast. For Sunday - chuck a weather dice - could be anything!
snow conditions
We are thinking of making a last minute booking Val D’isere centre or Tignes Val Claret the week starting 2 or 3rd of April, trying to gage what it is really like in resort and if it is a good idea to book or hold off for another year. We were in Meribel 12th of Feb and the bases reported then are about the same as now (and we were happy with those conditions) but I know that the reports can be a little mis leading. Don’t mind true spring skiing but would want to make sure there is enough underfoot to not have to avoid a lot dirt and rocks. I know this is crystal ball stuff even only 2.5 weeks away (only other time we went in April we had an in forecasted meter dump on us at St. Moritz so know anything can happen) but happy to hear gut feelings.
ski holidays
@kwood, Conundrum! The resorts will still be open up here, but it will be soggy especially down into Val Centre and below the Dam. Maybe hold off for a week. But prices may rise as folks abandon the lower resorts, or they close early. Looking over at La Rosiere this morning, the snowline is getting very close to the village.
ski holidays
Thanks for replying kind of what I thought. I think we will hold off a little longer if the prices get too high just won’t book as we did make it out once this year was just hoping to get a second trip to make up for missing last year. We were looking at apartments close to the bubble lifts in Val d’isere as we don’t mind coming down the lift at the end of the day and thought it should be ok in Val Claret as it is higher. Also have my eye on one in Le Lac as that would give access up/down Toviere. Hmmm decisions Puzzled
ski holidays
Did the Saharan dust get Val d /Tignes much?
ski holidays
Been on the 27th April before and its been fine, no doubting whether to book for the 9th

Certainly looks like the cheaper accommodation in Les Boisses may be worth avoiding
latest report
Another day of mainly overcast/cloud and dust with a faint orange tinge. I had a day off piste booked but it soon became apparent that the slopes into Vallon de la Sache had a nasty crust which was beyond most of us. So we made a collective decision to go back to the piste for skills and drills, which was a much better use of everybody's time. So if you spotted a group on one ski near the Carpe Diem that was us. Evidently it will help with technique off piste, I started to get the feeling required so more practice required when today's bruises have worn off!

So I am a bit tired, I will try and avoid nose diving into the soup at QDC tonight......

Tomorrow will be warm and overcast all day with a reasonable breeze, so another snow chomper. Saturday and Sunday will cooler, thankfully, breezy and with less cloud hopefully, the dribs and drabs of snow have fallen out of most forecasts. Not sure how the ongoing dust will affect the sunny periods. We'll see. The temperatures ramp back up on Monday which looks like a sunny day.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
it soon became apparent that the slopes into Vallon de la Sache had a nasty crust which was beyond most of us. So we made a collective decision to go back to the piste for skills and drills,

Good for you, and refreshingly honest. I'm sooo tired of the off-piste willy wavers (i.e. liars) who stand around in the bar, still proudly wearing their transceivers at 6pm, claiming to have had a brilliant day off piste (when there hasn't been a decent dump for 8 weeks and they seem to think no-one has noticed). No you haven't mate, you've been scratching around on scrapped rubbish and/or breakable crust, the best you've possibly had is 3 turns on a bit of windblow that you've lucked across, because you're too lazy to actually skin anywhere and too tight to pay for a guide.

Rant over...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fmd999 wrote:

We got a decent amount yes!
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
fmd999 wrote:

At least it's dumping something!

I have a trip booked 10 – 17 April, is there going to be any snow left by then? Or should I cancel?Sad
snow report
I’m supposed to be going on the 10th, haven’t pressed the button yet

It’ll be fine High up I imagine but I just don’t enjoy doing the same runs over and over
ski holidays
I’m going the week after and aren’t worried. It’s a different mindset accepting that conditions will be different from earlier on in the season. Start early, late lunch and chilled out afternoon.
ski holidays
@Dr John, Thanks, would they be the same people to claim all fresh snow is 'pow'? Though some of the ski schools do also push that as a myth to be fair so they get a "wow he found some gems of pow for us" to generate a great review online.

Today was designated a shopping day, so down the black run to Bourg. It was an overcast day and warm but there was still plenty of light about I think. The skies seem to be less orange, perhaps the dust has settled out now, or just the winds have stopped blowing from the south. It was very spring like driving down and coming back we saw quite a big avalanche trigger at the other side of the valley behind the dechetterie. Around 4 the breeze picked up in Lac and some tint flocons blew past the window.

So, I think a summary of the next 4 days would be cooling down, especially overnight, which is a good thing, hopefully cold enough for the cannons to be used to refresh the pistes. Tomorrow will be pretty much like today, maybe a few larger gaps between the clouds and light breezes. Sunday will be a bit cooler and again sunny spells and Sunday night will be below zero (hurrah). Monday looks like being predominantly sunny, maybe a few clouds in the morning. it will be pleasant in the sun, but chilly in the shade. The sun will dominate through Tuesday. So its time to expect rock hard pistes in the morning, gradually softening and the sunny slopes becoming soft and mogully after lunch. Aspect is everything!

For the travellers it looks like it is going to be quieter tomorrow, with a forecast of 25k vehicles heading to the resorts and 28 descending, so the odd slow up, especially for those going home, but nothing bad providing we don't have any more broken down buses in awkward places.

Nice day for flying tomorrow, just a hint of a chance of a bit of mist at Chambery and Grenoble, I think they are hedging their bets, but even if it did form it shouldn't cause any delays at Grenoble and probably not at Chambery.

Edit, I have just seen that they are invoking speed restrictions across most of the Savoie, because of the increase in air pollutants thanks to the high pressure system we have had for a number of days. I'm not sure how they enforce these but it means an 80 limit is 70 now. Any limit of 90 or over must be reduced by 20kph. There will be electronic signs but I dont knw if the speed cameras are altered.
snow conditions
cav wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
fmd999 wrote:

I have a trip booked 10 – 17 April, is there going to be any snow left by then? Or should I cancel?Sad

Exactly as brovert says. But yes there will be plenty of snow left - it might be upload ski then download home but as Tignes / Val are somewhat 'upside down' resorts there are plenty of options at altitude to suit all abilities - you'll be fine!
latest report
@chocksaway, the very same. And agree about the schools miss-representation of conditions.
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
cav wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
fmd999 wrote:

Exactly as brovert says. But yes there will be plenty of snow left - it might be upload ski then download home but as Tignes / Val are somewhat 'upside down' resorts there are plenty of options at altitude to suit all abilities - you'll be fine!

thanks for the pep talk all Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I promised last week to check into the new free parking at Tignes 1800. I've done that now and updated Page 1 - here is the relevant excerpt:

A brand new free car park for about 100 cars has been built the other side of the roundabout next to the heliport. Open air and no height restrictions. I've read the signs carefully now and it is managed using the same permit system as Les Brevieres and Les Boisses (and is not seasonnaire-only as I'd originally feared). A nice move for Tignes to have re-instated a decent amount of free bus-linked parking after the last one disappeared under new apartment blocks.

I'll refer to it in future as 'Heliport'.
snow conditions
Quote:
A brand new free car park for about 100 cars has been built the other side of the roundabout next to the heliport.

Thanks for the update bobski62.

Mainly due to the pandemic, we haven't been to Tignes since Dec 2019. Does the new car park replace the very small free car park at the end of the road in the old bit of Les Boisses (where the bus turns round) and the bigger one that was near the new apartments development (ie accessed down the hill past the beginners tunnel ski lift - tricky in snowy weather)?

Or is it in addition to those two?
snow report
Quote:
Or is it in addition to those two?

Yes, indeed, @mountainaddict, the new free Heliport car park is in addition to the small free one in Les Boisses at the bus turn, which remains in place and in which you can now occasionally get a space as there's less pressure on places. The only one that has disappeared (under a piste) is the even smaller free one in Tignes 1800, between the two poly-tunnel magic carpets. Few will even know of this one as it's pretty much summer only.

Quote:
and the bigger one that was near the new apartments development

That one is long gone! It disappeared about, ermm, 2019 so you might not have been aware. It was, as you say, often tricky in snowy weather - I remember trying to get out of it years ago and struggling despite new winter tyres. Made it eventually but a mate parked next to me took even longer and took a lot of pushing and shoving too. With Heliport you'll have trouble getting in when it's snowy, rather than out...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 19-03-22 20:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Cold and hard! A blue sky day, just a few bits of very high cloud and the odd contrail about. But it was much colder especially as there was a breeze in Le Fornet, our chosen destination. So going underfoot was very firm and edges were definitely required. Some of the poorly, or unpisted runs were very challenging (or unpleasant if you like). For some reason the blue Lessieres was an absolute shocker, even at 1 it was hard bumpy and very slippery. The resorts seemed quite quiet and by the looks of the small traffic jams this week is going to be a good bit quieter than last. As we came home, 3 Brit lads had paid and come up the Tov Gondola with the aim of going to the Folie and were disappointed that they couldn't download on the Tommeuses. They asked if they could walk down, not in those shoes! I don't quite understand the draw of the place but on a Saturday when there's very little entertainment on?? Still the views were nice, I suppose.

High pressure dominates for the next week or so, so more sunshine! But it will be cooler than last week, so similar conditions to today. There may well be a few more fluffy clouds around in the morning, but they will vanish to leave a nice day. Mon to Wednesday looks like another 3 days of virtually unbroken sunshine with light winds, but it will be cool on a morning, so days of removing layers.

There is a chance of mist at Chambery early doors but it should be gone before first arrivals time. It might be a bit murky at Leeds for take off but other than that a nice day for flying.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy