Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 21/22

Poster: A snowHead
Got it! Very helpful - thanks. Pretty onerous and maybe excessive then?! So that means to go to any 2G+ places (basically take part in apres) you would need a daily test. Phew Skullie Are they all 30CHF each?? Quite a heavy daily levy!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scotchmist wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of using Alpybus for a transfer from Geneva to Verbier? Or indeed any other shared transfer? I know you can get a train but it also involves a gondala ride and not sure I fancy that with my snowboard bag and other luggage

Done Geneva to/from Verbier a dozen or more times and it's 100x easier to use the train directly from the airport - very smooth. No advantage to a road transfer as a shared bus will be more expensive, more arduous and take considerably longer. Gondola from train terminus at Le Chable to top of the village isn't a problem with luggage - have done that frequently but if you really don't want to do it there are also buses from Le Chable into Verbier as well as taxis - the bus is also very efficient if sometimes involving a wait at certain times of the day. I would advise the train as a no brainer versus other options from Geneva unless you are driving.

+1 for the train. The timetable is on the SBB website - just put in from Genève-Aéroport to Verbier (télécabine). The railway station is inside the GVA complex: turn left outside the Arrivals gate, past the UBS ATMs and shops, through the doors and down the escalator to the ticket office. The platforms are the next level down. You usually change at Martigny for the short ride to Le Chable. At Le Chable, the efficient swiss now have the train platform and the gondola up to Verbier in the same building, with the PostBus stop outside if that's your preference or you're travelling outside the gondola hours.

Like any public transport to/from an airport, just be aware that you may be a target for pickpockets so just keep your passport and valuables on you, not in any of your bags, rucksacks or luggage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scotchmist, CHF30 is pretty good - I think they're 45 in our village. Remember too that you also need to provide ID. U.K. driving licences seem to be acceptable if you don’t want to take your passport everywhere with you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scotchmist, Now that the Le Chable to Verbier (Medran) gondola is running from 05:15 to 23:50 daily (the gondola was designated part of the public transport network on 12th December 2021) - I was under the impression that the Postbus was no longer running on this route.
Your lift pass is actually valid after 15:00 the day before it officially commences - which enables you to take the gondola from Le Chable without passing the CHF6 for a single trip (or you can buy it at the lift station just before the barrier by the cabins up the stairs).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @telford_mike... Are these tests always 30CHF each? Pretty hefty extra daily cost!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scotchmist, yes it’s a lot - 30 is pretty cheap, we were paying 50 before we got our boosters!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@telford_mike... Useful intel, anyway - thanks again. All seems a tad excessive Skullie (as I saw today even a Swiss legislator is complaining). Hopefully the situation may change (for the better) before March ..,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oui4ski wrote:
@Scotchmist, Now that the Le Chable to Verbier (Medran) gondola is running from 05:15 to 23:50 daily (the gondola was designated part of the public transport network on 12th December 2021) - I was under the impression that the Postbus was no longer running on this route.
Your lift pass is actually valid after 15:00 the day before it officially commences - which enables you to take the gondola from Le Chable without passing the CHF6 for a single trip (or you can buy it at the lift station just before the barrier by the cabins up the stairs).

That may well be right... I was last there in the 2020 season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
therock wrote:
LaForet wrote:
If you're based in Nendaz, then the №6 Navette shuttles between there and Siviez.

So if you're returning from an excursion and find yourself at Siviez and want to call call it a day, you can get that instead of going Siviez>Plan du Feu>Prarions>Tracouet>Nendaz.

If you want to go out to the Veysonnaz Sector from Nendaz, then there are the tedious Greppon Blanc drags up from Combatzeline to negotiate but that'd be first thing. So it's not like it takes most of the morning to get there and you should have plenty of time to ski the area and not get caught out by the lifts shutting. The route back from there is fine, but perhaps a bit longer than the map implies thanks to perspective. Although the final Red down from Combatzeline to Siviez is steep (but wide). If you have novices in the group, then plan the day so they have enough energy left to tackle this.

For an intermediate/expert, doing the Savoleyres Sector from Nendaz is entirely practical as long as you start off promptly in the morning. You might consider starting the return after an early lunch if you wanted to avoid range anxiety.

Verbier Sector is even closer but I suspect skiing here is where it'd be easy to lose track of time and then find you're stranded: the key link to not miss is the chair #118 up from Lac des Vaux to the top of Chassoure and the télécabine #119 down to Tortin. At Tortin you want the #71 to still be running - or you've a long walk on the flat to the top of the run down into Siviez. So basically, to wok out the Nendaz return deadline from Verbier, note the time the #71 closes when you take it up in the morning, and then work your timing back from there, with the obvious margin, and also note the close time of the #119 and #118 to make sure they're not closing ahead of the #71.

Thanks that is all really useful. Should save a bit of time trying to work it all out.

First time in 4V and first post on Snowheads, but I'm in Siviez right now and was coming back from Verbier sector earlier today: Medran last ride up is at 1530, last Attelas ride up is 1545, last Lac 2 ride up is 1600, last Chaussoure ride at 1615, and Tortin is either 1630 or 1645. All in time to catch a shuttle from Siviez back to Nendaz. Of course, the timings could change, but they seem to have a good idea on allowing people move efficiently as long as they start moving on time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scotchmist wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of using Alpybus for a transfer from Geneva to Verbier? Or indeed any other shared transfer? I know you can get a train but it also involves a gondala ride and not sure I fancy that with my snowboard bag and other luggage

Done Geneva to/from Verbier a dozen or more times and it's 100x easier to use the train directly from the airport - very smooth. No advantage to a road transfer as a shared bus will be more expensive, more arduous and take considerably longer. Gondola from train terminus at Le Chable to top of the village isn't a problem with luggage - have done that frequently but if you really don't want to do it there are also buses from Le Chable into Verbier as well as taxis - the bus is also very efficient if sometimes involving a wait at certain times of the day. I would advise the train as a no brainer versus other options from Geneva unless you are driving.

This is a very strange post!

The advertised transfer time by bus is 2 hours. Mine took 1h50. The train time is 2h 30.

And how is it more arduous to have a driver load your bags at Geneva and unload them in Verbier than to carry them yourself on 2 changes of train/gondola?

The price unsurprisingly for Switzerland is the same.

I know facts don’t matter any more but really?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
Scotchmist wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:

The advertised transfer time by bus is 2 hours. Mine took 1h50. The train time is 2h 30.

And how is it more arduous to have a driver load your bags at Geneva and unload them in Verbier than to carry them yourself on 2 changes of train/gondola?

Yeah I've travelled a lot with my snowboard bag, large rucksack and laptop bag, I know from experience it is a hell of a lot easier to get a coach than trains/lifts/gondolas etc... Snowboard bags are amazing but are still difficult to transport more than small distances.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scotchmist wrote:
Got it! Very helpful - thanks. Pretty onerous and maybe excessive then?! So that means to go to any 2G+ places (basically take part in apres) you would need a daily test. Phew Skullie Are they all 30CHF each?? Quite a heavy daily levy!

Anyone know the position with EU covid passes? I looked online and was happy that the Covid pass would allow me to access restaurants / wellness etc. My second jab was in July but I haven't gotten boostered.

EU rules mean my Covid pass will be valid until April and I had presumed that was good for anything in Switzerland, am I wrong or will they look behind the validity of the pass to see am I actually boostered?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fab day with my split boarding BiL opening the Pralong itinerary from Mont Fort. Bit more spicy than usual!

http://youtube.com/v/EBssG0qoIMY
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@8611, you need to be boostered to get into places with 2G+. So get boostered.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes but I wonder is that for UK travelers? I'm coming from EU and therefore have the Covid Pass.

I'll look online.

May be SERIOUS spanner in my ski plans as was targeting Switzerland as they've been rather less oppressive re covid than the other three ski nations. Principles are an awful thing.
ski holidays
@8611, it’s for everyone, including the Swiss.
ski holidays
@8611, I have a Swiss Covid cert but not yet boostered so no 2G+. No problem with restaurants, bars etc. It seems the nightclub joints like Farinet are requiring 2G+ but haven’t tried and frankly not sure it’d be a great idea!
ski holidays
Ok, thanks, I looked there and that seems to be for bars and nightclubs, which I'm happy to forego. Would like a beer, but can have one outside or in hotel / restaurant

But wellness, that may be a deal breaker!

Surprising as Swiss website tells me only 22% of the population is boosted, mad that only 22% can go into bars without testing
ski holidays
@8611, not all bars are 2G+, so you should be able to find a few that are just 2G.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
@8611, not all bars are 2G+, so you should be able to find a few that are just 2G.

I’ve been here for the last 10 days and not been anywhere that requires 2G+
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

I’ve been here for the last 10 days and not been anywhere that requires 2G+

We have a few here, but they're in the minority.
latest report
@telford_mike, @BobinCH,

Thanks guys, gosh remember when we only had to worry about the snow!

Soon be back to normal I think
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Fab day with my split boarding BiL opening the Pralong itinerary from Mont Fort. Bit more spicy than usual!

Looks tasty. I was in Verbier yesterday for my first day on snow since March 2020. I was almost tempted to drop you a line but wisely stuck with plan A of an easy warm up. Pistes weren’t bad. A mixture of crunchy old snow, a bit of soft snow and concrete death moguls off to the sides.
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Looks tasty. I was in Verbier yesterday for my first day on snow since March 2020. I was almost tempted to drop you a line but wisely stuck with plan A of an easy warm up. Pistes weren’t bad. A mixture of crunchy old snow, a bit of soft snow and concrete death moguls off to the sides.

Haha ya big pussy! Kids are in Freeride club this afternoon so happy to hook up if you want to do a lap. Looks like 15cm overnight so will be hunting out some pow stashes… PM me your number if interested
latest report
Feels like a Backside day…
snow report
@BobinCH, thanks but skiing with Tim today / tomorrow in Grimentz. We’re in Le Chable next week with Zeb Roche though so might end bumping into you anyhow!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Scotchmist wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:

I'm not sure why your response needs to be quite so pejorative - can't anyone post advice that was well-intended and friendly any more without being attacked - it's not Twitter here is it?!
I don't think my post was "strange" at all - however, I would accept that the choice of bus vs train might well be a matter of personal tastes and preferences!
To address your points: on time, sure, the bus could take a similar time but is much more likely to be delayed by traffic/weather than the train - especially an efficient Swiss train; re bags etc, yes, if not schlepping your bag(s) on changing train and via the gondola is an issue that matters then the bus might be your personal preference... But presumably most going on a ski trip are reasonably fit and able to move their bags a little distance! Equally, the train station is in the airport complex which is very convenient. By "arduous", I meant that (*personally*) I really dislike coach journeys - usually cramped - and tend to get motion sickness whereas I find the train in general, and this trip in particular to be a very pleasant one where I can relax and enjoy the view etc. On cost, I've not checked bus/coach costs and I imagine you are right that they're similar. In the past, the train could be taken at a very reasonable price although my recent experience was that it seemed to be harder to get a cheap return for the price I used to pay of about 50CHF and it was more like double that (from memory, lest I be accused again of being unfactual). Again, *I've not checked*, but I imagine the trains are more frequent than dedicated coaches from Geneva to Verbier, and there is certainly lots of train capacity. And the train is better for the environment locally and emissions wise.
So... I don't think my post was "strange", your points on costs and bags are reasonable. It seems to be a matter of what preferences one has. No need to be accusatorial though Happy
snow report
Trains are also less risky if you have a group where people are arriving on different flights. I recall five of us having to wait three hours at GVA for the last person's flight to arrive after it was delayed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2G+ is largely only for late night bars and clubs. Most places you'll go are 2G which should be fine.

Bizarrely a hotel swimming pool requires 2G+.
ski holidays
@Scotchmist, I’ve got nothing against Swiss trains. They are certainly a nice way to travel and very reliable but you made a bunch of strong statements that were simply wrong and misleading to others. The transfer bus option is a good one and when it works smoothly, is 30 mins quicker (not a similar time) and easier (lugging skis and bags on and off trains is a pain and I am fit). The buses leave from straight outside the terminal - closer than the station platform.
snow report
@BobinCH ... Perhaps I expressed my train preference a little too strongly Happy But your critique of my post seems a wee bit OTT! I've already conceded your points in favour of the bus were perfectly reasonable ones. But saying 2hrs and 2hrs30 are not "similar" is a bit unreasonable, surely! If you have a lot of kit (I hire mine, in fairness) then lugging it through a change of trains might well be something to avoid but I conceded that! Maybe I'll edit my original comments tomorrow to reflect the nuances. Or perhaps we've covered those in the discussion! Wouldn't want to mislead anyone and there was certainly no intention to do that. Maybe you will even convert me to the bus! wink
snow conditions
Conditions best on the upper slopes

http://youtube.com/v/KNkF3X1A0U8
snow report
Bruson day
ski holidays
Morning all - can I please check that an unvaccinated 14Y old (he's only had 1 jab) is allowed to freely enter bars and restaurants and access lifts in Verbier?
ski holidays
Looking at a trip to Nendaz or Verbier week of 29th Jan. We’ve taken train/post bus in the past, but wife is keen to drive this time for Covid reasons. What sort of Saturday drive times are you looking at there and back to GVA for Saturday afternoons?
ski holidays
Pejoli wrote:
Looking at a trip to Nendaz or Verbier week of 29th Jan. We’ve taken train/post bus in the past, but wife is keen to drive this time for Covid reasons. What sort of Saturday drive times are you looking at there and back to GVA for Saturday afternoons?
Fully understand your wife's concerns BUT the cost of hiring a car at GVA has shot through the roof ... there are multiple reasons for this but I presume the fact that a lot of transfer companies have folded or are running reduced schedules and timetables can't have helped.
latest report
@franga, under 16s are exempt from the 2G stuff.
snow report
@Pejoli Do you mean hire car? Because you need to be aware of the high rental charges currently at GVA. I just looked for the week 29.1.2022 and the smallest class car was CHF 568 (£455) basic, with no add-ons. That's £65/day, albeit not as high as it has been, and you do get winter tyres and chains included. I always go to the GVA Car Hire pages as a starter just to get a baseline idea. If you join the Hertz Gold Club (which is free) you'll get a 2nd driver fro free and potential upgrade, plus a dedicated priority lane at the desks but obviously other companies may be cheaper.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
@franga, under 16s are exempt from the 2G stuff.
Thank you Mike
snow report
Thanks - yes I saw the comments about GVA car hire prices, the other day - but when I checked on rentalcars.com (which I generally use), they were coming in at £310 and above for a corsa for a week - so not cheap-as-chips, but not a deal breaker either, in the grand scheme of things. Now wondering if that’s showing me French-side prices …

Edit - no it does seem to be giving me GVA / CHF prices

And as for the drive time … ? I’m looking flying Swiss and they have a return at 17.55 - wondering whether that gives me enough time for a cheeky morning on the slopes, or whether I’m still going to have to leave at midday to allow for weekend traffic (which once I’ve returned the rental gear etc means the morning is probably a write-off).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 9-01-22 14:56; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy