Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 21/22

Poster: A snowHead
Pejoli wrote:
Looking at a trip to Nendaz or Verbier week of 29th Jan. We’ve taken train/post bus in the past, but wife is keen to drive this time for Covid reasons. What sort of Saturday drive times are you looking at there and back to GVA for Saturday afternoons?

I understand your wife's nervousness, but the trains we have taken in the last 4 months travelling Verbier/Geneva airport have been very good - everyone has worn a mask.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh it’s good today…

http://youtube.com/v/xtRhws0I_c4
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having skied in France almost my entire life, mainly in 3Valleys and Espace Killy, I'm likely heading to Veysonnaz for a week. Looking at the live lift map, it looks like a few of the high point lifts are shut (Mont Fort and Mont Gele?). Is it even possible to reach those points in a day from Veysonnaz? Looks like quite a long/convoluted route!

Any tips abut Veysonnaz and the area in general would be great.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franga wrote:
Pejoli wrote:
Looking at a trip to Nendaz or Verbier week of 29th Jan. We’ve taken train/post bus in the past, but wife is keen to drive this time for Covid reasons. What sort of Saturday drive times are you looking at there and back to GVA for Saturday afternoons?
Fully understand your wife's concerns BUT the cost of hiring a car at GVA has shot through the roof ... there are multiple reasons for this but I presume the fact that a lot of transfer companies have folded or are running reduced schedules and timetables can't have helped.

Hire car from thrifty (hertz) at geneva swiss side 18/12 - 23/12 so 5 days total came in at £279. Booked 3 days before. Prices had been double that in the 2-3 weeks before that but came down quite dramatically. Excellent service and upgraded us to a 4x4 too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pejoli wrote:

Drove to nendaz from geneva on saturday 18/12 - about 2hrs total. Lovely motorway drive to Sion then an 10 km climb to resort. Roads up to resort were clear of snow so drive up quite straight forward, would be a different story in snowy/icy conditions.

We paid £279 for 5 days car hire (geneva swiss side) very straight forward pick up ( we were 6 hrs later than stated collection time due to cancelled /delayed flight) but phoned them and it was no problem. They even upgraded us to a 4x4 which was welcome for peace of mind incase the resort was snowy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
c1223 wrote:
Having skied in France almost my entire life, mainly in 3Valleys and Espace Killy, I'm likely heading to Veysonnaz for a week. Looking at the live lift map, it looks like a few of the high point lifts are shut (Mont Fort and Mont Gele?). Is it even possible to reach those points in a day from Veysonnaz? Looks like quite a long/convoluted route!

Have just posted a very long trip report in the Resort Reviews section. A reasonably good skier can make it from Veysonnaz to the top of Mt Fort in about 90 minutes, subject to queues, but it is a convoluted route, with 3-4 long drags.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
Oh it’s good today…
Very jealous - it looks like fantastic powder above Col de la Mouche!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oui4ski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Oh it’s good today…
Very jealous - it looks like fantastic powder above Col de la Mouche!

Fantastic pow everywhere at the moment! I’ve just taken the day off tomorrow as it’s looking like a cracker!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
c1223 wrote:

The top lifts were shut today due to heavy snow and wind. Will be open again tomorrow.

If you leave early it shouldn’t be a problem skiing over in Verbier. It’s a bit of a faff on drag lifts to get over but worth it if you are good skiers as all the best terrain is above Siviez and Verbier.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
Oh it’s good today…

Looks great!
If only the person taking these vids could turn his phone 90 degrees, they'd be a whole level better, have a word Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KenX wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Oh it’s good today…

Looks great!
If only the person taking these vids could turn his phone 90 degrees, they'd be a whole level better, have a word Toofy Grin

Like this?

http://youtube.com/v/dKIHoEgihrw
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's more like it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or this even!

http://youtube.com/v/QSfA59udko8
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Channelling your inner Heitz there - love to see it snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@BobinCH, Channelling your inner Heitz there - love to see it snowHead

He was up there today!

Always wanted to open banana couloir. 2nd in wasn’t too bad wink

Bootpack was interesting Skullie
ski holidays
@BobinCH,

Fook that Skullie

I’ve never skied it, was hoping to when I’m across week after next but I ain’t getting in like that Laughing

My claim to fame was getting in S Couloir first in the season but I’m pretty sure I made more than 5 turns Laughing
snow conditions
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@BobinCH,

Fook that Skullie

I’ve never skied it, was hoping to when I’m across week after next but I ain’t getting in like that Laughing

My claim to fame was getting in S Couloir first in the season but I’m pretty sure I made more than 5 turns Laughing

Usually it’s easier but the guy that made the bootpack went up top (and back down) and I didn’t want to be the first person cutting the big loaded slope traversing round. It’s a classic - stick back on your list snowHead
latest report
Perfect in the rock garden today. The aspect is perfect sheltering the snow from the wind

http://youtube.com/v/YrWV5ntLTVw
ski holidays
Mont Gelé a bit more variable

http://youtube.com/v/eAy5AzW13kM
snow conditions
Mont fort opened mid morning or so. We were far far from the first in but managed to score some superb untracked snow off the backside amongst stiff competition. Knee deep or so. Ended the day with a 2000m descent from the top of Jumbo to Le Châble. Even the guide is saying his legs are cooked. Another epic day indeed.
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Mont fort opened mid morning or so. We were far far from the first in but managed to score some superb untracked snow off the backside amongst stiff competition. Knee deep or so. Ended the day with a 2000m descent from the top of Jumbo to Le Châble. Even the guide is saying his legs are cooked. Another epic day indeed.

Do you have touring gear?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, yup; for the scrappers. We skinned behind Mont Gele then descended to Siviez this morning.
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
@BobinCH, yup; for the scrappers. We skinned behind Mont Gele then descended to Siviez this morning.

There’s a really nice tour off the back of Mont Fort via the Fenetre d’Alleves to Pralong. It’s a really nice one and you’ll still get lots of fresh tracks. There’s a cosy restaurant in Pralong for lunch and then a free bus takes your back to Les Masses from where you can use the lift system to get back to Siviez. I did it before the last dump and it was already in good condition. Should still be great for the next couple of days as everything else gets tracked. Here’s a taster

http://youtube.com/v/EBssG0qoIMY
latest report
@BobinCH, nice. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. Needed to put in the graft for freshies today but still plenty of untracked pitches to pillage.
ski holidays
Covid central Shocked
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYt8TfkqBOT/?utm_medium=copy_link
ski holidays
Any tips for accommodation in the 19 Feb week? 4 guys
ski holidays
nunex wrote:
Any tips for accommodation in the 19 Feb week? 4 guys

Difficult. It’s going to be busy. Have you tried airbnb? Also consider Le Chable if you’re on a budget. You could also try putting a shout on the FB Verbier accommodation group
snow report
Thanks! I’ll give it a try. Something with full access to the 4 Vallées would be acceptable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nunex wrote:
Thanks! I’ll give it a try. Something with full access to the 4 Vallées would be acceptable.

Then consider also Nendaz or even Siviez (if you don’t need nightlife but want best ski access)
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
nunex wrote:

Then consider also Nendaz or even Siviez (if you don’t need nightlife but want best ski access)

Many thanks, will do!
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
nunex wrote:

Many thanks, will do!
snow report
snowHead
snow conditions
Any suggestions for transfers from Geneva?
ski holidays
@nunex Train is an obvious one. Regular trains from right inside the airport terminal to Le Chable, then the gondola up to the centre of Verbier. 2½ hours. Might not suit if you have a tonne of equipment/luggage as you have to change trains at Martigny and transfer to the gondola at Le Chable (although the station and gondola are in the same building now). See the SBB timetable - use From Genève-Aéroport To Verbier (télécabine).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-01-22 14:47; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Thanks a lot for the input.
latest report
@nunex, BobinCH suggested this previously, seems decent to me if you prefer a coach - https://www.alpinexpress.com/
ski holidays
Minion1980 wrote:
@nunex, BobinCH suggested this previously, seems decent to me if you prefer a coach - https://www.alpinexpress.com/

Yep it’s really toss up between less bag hassle and theoretically shorter coach journey (outside rush hour times ie don’t take coach back at 16:00 on a busy Sat/Sun!) versus the reliability and comfort of a Swiss train. Costs are similar.
latest report
Verbier is a fine resort. The variety of terrain must be up there on a world level. For me, the town, the bars etc. and the general vibe about the place isn't what I look for in ski resort. If someone were to build a high end ski themed theme park in North London and staff it with Brit gap yar kids, it wouldn't be a million miles from being Verbier. Razz
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Verbier is a fine resort. The variety of terrain must be up there on a world level. For me, the town, the bars etc. and the general vibe about the place isn't what I look for in ski resort. If someone were to build a high end ski themed theme park in North London and staff it with Brit gap yar kids, it wouldn't be a million miles from being Verbier. Razz

Less of them this year. Verbier is pretty cosmopolitan - lots of Brits but also Swiss, Scandies, Italians, Dutch, Belgians, Spanish, Americans etc

And while there’s a lot of wealthy people, there are also plenty of skint freeriders there for the terrain and just people who love the skiing.

I love the vibe because I get to ski and hang out with some of the best freeride skiers on the planet. It’s a far cry from Gstaad, Courchevel 1850 or St Moritz IMO.

And theres a big difference between the vibe at the Farm club versus happy hour at the Pub Mont Fort.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, My daughter and her BF worked and lived at 'The Pub' Very Happy

Yeah I guess, but as an occasional week stay punter of more mature years, it doesn't nail it for me.

..and many of those 'skint freeriders' aren't as skint as they may wish to appear. My lad is hacking out with many of them regularly. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy