Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@winterstickboarder, in general, it's worth getting the PdS pass. Unless you are only a beginner.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@winterstickboarder, in general, it's worth getting the PdS pass. Unless you are only a beginner.

Thanks! Yeah bit worried about how quickly we could cover the Morzine/Les Gets pistes. Do you know if you can upgrade to PdS just for one day for example?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski 90% of each season in LG....year after year....as long as the snow is good I'm happy

While Avoriaz area is higher, bigger, with longer reds and more off piste of course....it is also a lot busier, gets tracked out way quicker, it's rocky underneath, tends to have a lot more moguls or bumpy pistes, less charming, much worse viz when snowing than below treeline and the food options are definitely not as good. Oh and it's a lot more dangerous in my view....apart from busier / faster pistes, when the viz is bad there you have to very careful off piste if you don't know the terrain well.....big drops / cliffs around. Below the treeline is safer in my view, and can be just as much fun. But yeah understand that lot's of people enjoy clocking up mileage and travelling to new runs each day, PdS is great for that.

As for difficulty of terrain.....entirely down to how fast you travel, your skills and lines.....

You can upgrade any day you want, think it's just the difference between normal single day prices to pay
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much for the detailed response! Think we will stick with Morzine and see what the weather does Smile just looking forward to getting back to it having missed out last season!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whilst Avoriaz can get bumpy pretty quickly due to the numbers, the Swiss side is normally fantastic and empty!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi quick question for anyone who is currently in or around Avoriaz at the moment. We have just spent the week skiing in Les Gets / Morzinne and were hoping to spend some time skiing over in Avoriaz tomorrow with a quick pop into Switzerland just to say we'd done it. I notice on the PDS ski map app that a few lifts like Mosettes are currently closed - is this normal? Is there a problem? We are intermediate skiers and aware that at the end of the week we are tired so had planned a route on blues to just have a bit of a cruise . Any info on lift status or advice on different routes welcomed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jillyg80, the new Cases lift that runs beside it will bring you close to the border. Alternatively take Choucas from Fornet side to top of Swiss wall and ski back down the French side. Or take the scenic route via Lindarets - plaine dranse - Chatel, reds and blues.

Best option probably Cases if want blues only, depends where you start….Choucas from Prodains or Cases from Ardent
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All the links were closed out of Avoriaz on Thursday, because of the wind. Hoping it’s ok today
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone know of anywhere in Morzine that we could get breakfast at say 8am on a Saturday? We will be arriving before the previous people are out of our chalet and don't want to get in their way while they are clearing up and leaving. It's a private chalet, so it isn't a commercial changeover, but all the same, it's not really fair!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like a good snow forecast for this week!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any boots on the ground in the PDS area available to give a snow update? Lots of snow was forecasted for yesterday and overnight.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@karin, is it your own chalet? Anyhoo, maybe Beanies?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Karin - I'd recommend Le Colibri. They open at 8am and do good breakfast's. Located very close to the Pleney lifts, if you need to go and buy lift passes as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roscoe, 15-20cm light and fluffy off piste. Now sunny.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
winterstickboarder wrote:
Thanks! Yeah bit worried about how quickly we could cover the Morzine/Les Gets pistes. Do you know if you can upgrade to PdS just for one day for example?

You can't get a 1 day 'upgrade' as such, but you can just walk up to the lift pass office (or even automatic vending machines outside) and buy a 1-day PdS pass.

karin wrote:
Does anyone know of anywhere in Morzine that we could get breakfast at say 8am on a Saturday? We will be arriving before the previous people are out of our chalet and don't want to get in their way while they are clearing up and leaving. It's a private chalet, so it isn't a commercial changeover, but all the same, it's not really fair!

Never used them and don't know opening times but often walk past the little place just up from the petrol station roundabout, opposite the bakery. They always seem to have a sign out advertising "Full English Breakfasts". You can even see it on Google Street View Smile (though sadly not the name of the place).

A little more Google staking gives us La P'tite Pause - open from 8am till 6pm 7 days a week.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 22-02-22 12:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
polo wrote:
@Roscoe, 15-20cm light and fluffy off piste. Now sunny.

Sounds like a perfect day for it! Lets hope the snow continues to be good for the next few weeks!
snow report
More like 25-30cm at 1700m, looking towards Nyon from Chamossiere freeride

ski holidays
polo wrote:
More like 25-30cm at 1700m, looking towards Nyon from Chamossiere freeride

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
I've done a quick video....to some orchestral reggae Cool

First run under Nauchet was tracked early so we took a nice itinerary from back of Ranfoilly over to bottom of Chamosiere, then over to the freeride zone
Tried Nyon but was closed most of the morning for avi clearance

http://youtube.com/v/XvU58Zv1_l0
snow conditions
polo wrote:
I've done a quick video....to some orchestral reggae Cool

First run under Nauchet was tracked early so we took a nice itinerary from back of Ranfoilly over to bottom of Chamosiere, then over to the freeride zone
Tried Nyon but was closed most of the morning for avi clearance

http://youtube.com/v/XvU58Zv1_l0

Wow!! Looks fantastic!!
ski holidays
@polo, Nice vid! I was Daddy Daycare... Confused snowHead
ski holidays
@under a new name, Not my own chalet, belongs to my aunt, but we've been going regularly for over 20 years.
@under a new name, @doddsie, @Mjit, thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like it won't be a problem at all.
Getting really excited now Smile
ski holidays
@shep, day care gets better with age as roles reverse Very Happy

I am in a much better place when following my 16yr old around. It’s like having a personal guide as he spends so much time with his ESF off piste group.

Problem is I’m too slow for him so inevitably gets bored and goes off with a mate, leaving me in danger. There are some nasty cliffs and dead ends between Chamossiere black and freeride
ski holidays
@karin, ah, I see. Anyway, lots of options, at least if all you want is a croissant Happy
snow report
Quick question for those in the know regarding Morzine.

Is there a way of joining Le Lievre Blue from the Choucas blue run? Then to the Retour des nants blue home?

My plan was to ski from top to bottom (potentially with some nervous beginners/intermediates) from Chamossiere. I know the first part, les arbis, will be a red run but hoping thats its wide and not too bad for them?
snow report
Roscoe - Yes it is possible, but needs quite fast conditions and is not for beginners. Also Les Arbis is a hard and difficult red, also very long and not for beginners.
snow conditions
You're better off going from the top of Ranfoilly, you can then follow an easy blue path all the way down, Gentiane into Choucas. But I'd advise going up Troncs and continuing from there and not trying to link Choucas and Le Lievre.
ski holidays
@doddsie, Thanks. I'm in Morzine for a week with intermediates/advanced skier's with the beginners joining us over the weekend. We can do the run from Chamossiere (inc Les Arbis) during the week and then bring the beginners down from the Ranfoilly at the weekend. This will the beginners 3rd time in Les Gets/Morzine so that run should suit them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, Also, I've heard of a 12km full blue route in Morzine/Les Gets, is it the route above?
latest report
@Roscoe, As Doddsie says, Troncs is the route for your intermediots ( wink ). But the little skate up (a minute or so) from the bottom of the Troncs lift to the Joux Plaine road and onto Le Lievre is quite fun and a useful hack if Troncs is busy/closed.

Adding piste lengths as given on the interactive map https://www.portesdusoleil.com/destination/plan-des-pistes/plan-interactif.html gives around 8km for the Ranfoilly-Morzine hack as described. I can't imagine there's a longer piste-ski in M/LG. Mossette to Ardent comes out to around 10k, although I've heard people saying it's 12. Maybe it depends how much traversing you do?! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
How flat is the Retour des Nants? Much skating for a boarder?
latest report
@shep, I was always told Mossettes to Ardent was 14kms Embarassed
snow conditions
@under a new name, Well it's all rather academic anyway. Who knows how they calculate those piste-lengths. Let's just say it's further than the local chip-shop. Especially for you and I! wink
ski holidays
@shep, quite!
ski holidays

You'll need to walk through the tunnel but from about 20m the other side there's enough gradient to make it down the the base of the Pleney so long as you don't get too many random zig-zagging / poleing skiers en route.
latest report

As a halfway decent skier Retour de Nants is my least favourite piste in the whole of the PDS. When it has good snow on it it is flat and slow, and when it hasn't it's awful.
snow conditions
I'll be first to admit the minute the kids say they want to downlift on the bubble rather than do either of the blue runs I'm a happy man Very Happy
snow report
We're out in Morzine from Saturday, but one of our group has managed to drop a brick on her big toe and break it. She can't get her foot into a shoe, let alone her snowboard boot (thought they were supposed to be nice soft things compared to ski boots...?), so she's bailing on the trip.
Question is, can she get a refund on her lift pass that she has already bought online? I've tried reading details on the Ski Morzine site, and it seems to say no refunds, but my french isn't good enough to know whether I've read that right. Can anyone shed any light, please?
snow report
The staff in the lift pass office are usually very helpful and will be able to understand an English email so drop them a line explaining the situation and asking if it's possile to get either a refund or credit to the ski pass account for next year.

Other option is to look at travel insurance and see if she can claim there.
snow report
karin wrote:
We're out in Morzine from Saturday, but one of our group has managed to drop a brick on her big toe and break it. She can't get her foot into a shoe, let alone her snowboard boot (thought they were supposed to be nice soft things compared to ski boots...?), so she's bailing on the trip.
Question is, can she get a refund on her lift pass that she has already bought online? I've tried reading details on the Ski Morzine site, and it seems to say no refunds, but my french isn't good enough to know whether I've read that right. Can anyone shed any light, please?

Is there a chance you could sell it while in resort? Not wanting to make you a tout, but if you offer it to someone at face value, what's the harm? It may have a name on but when was the last time a name on a ski lift pass was checked against its user?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy