Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
ster wrote:
Lanyards, laminated cards? This pandemic is worse than I thought. We have gone back to the stone age.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ster wrote:
Lanyards, laminated cards? This pandemic is worse than I thought. We have gone back to the stone age.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have to please guilty to doing this in Italy last week - but while the rest of the group were fumbling with their phones, I was already supping on my beer snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip wrote:
ster wrote:

I have to please guilty to doing this in Italy last week - but while the rest of the group were fumbling with their phones, I was already supping on my beer snowHead

Good stuff … and this is what I’m about to do for my 3Vs trip next week. Can I please ask what did you actually print off to laminate? Just the QR code or the whole certificate? Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip wrote:
ster wrote:

Were you on the pre-birthday bash?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ster wrote:

Good stuff … and this is what I’m about to do for my 3Vs trip next week. Can I please ask what did you actually print off to laminate? Just the QR code or the whole certificate? Thanks

The screenshot from the NHS app - it was the booster QR from the travel section. I attached it one on those extension key rings and attached to the pocket zip - really straightforward to use.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bassman wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ster wrote:

Were you on the pre-birthday bash?

No just in Cervinia
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Handy Turnip wrote:
franga wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ster wrote:

The screenshot from the NHS app - it was the booster QR from the travel section. I attached it one on those extension key rings and attached to the pocket zip - really straightforward to use.
Fab, thanks very much. Great idea. Amazon sell the lanyards with the plastic / zip transparent cases.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franga wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
franga wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ster wrote:

Fab, thanks very much. Great idea. Amazon sell the lanyards with the plastic / zip transparent cases.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from a week based Les Menuries. Covered all 3V areas lots. No enforcement of facemasks anywhere really, just 1 old French guy mentioned on a lift, and again whilst inside the tourist office. Had Covid qr codes checked just once at the end of the week on Friday morning at bottom of croisette chair lift, by then we had stopped carrying the print outs and had to find on phones. No 1m distancing anywhere. Desperately needs snow, good piste coverage, hard picked better when groomed, but it is getting thin lower down..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree, 3v really needs snow and this week might give a welcome boost.

Lots of icy runs, especially towards the end of the past week. Had a great day in and around Orelle and VT on Friday. Courchevel area not bad either. Maribel area icy and terrible, don't understand the appeal of staying there to be honest. Lots of pissed twenty somethings skiing badly.

As ever, ignore the route colours, ski the conditions and stay within your limits.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coming out on Saturday, just hoping for an improvement in snow conditions by then.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bassman wrote:
Coming out on Saturday, just hoping for an improvement in snow conditions by then.

Looks like you might get a timely top up this week to freshen everything up - not sure about after that though!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blue bird skiing yesterday. Perfect day with a little wind at the top. Pistes lovely in the morning but chopped up in afternoon.

Cloud rolled in today and it’s been snowing since 10.30. Lovely power on the pistes but no visibility up high.

Tomorrow looks lovely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NoMapNoCompass wrote:

Lots of icy runs, especially towards the end of the past week. Had a great day in and around Orelle and VT on Friday. Courchevel area not bad either. Maribel area icy and terrible, don't understand the appeal of staying there to be honest. Lots of pissed twenty somethings skiing badly.

As ever, ignore the route colours, ski the conditions and stay within your limits.

Surprised about your thoughts on Meribel. We did all areas yesterday and today and I really rate the Meribel area.

Some lovely runs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must admit aside from Mont Vallon and Cote Brun sector which I've always loved I have tended to mostly ski the middle valley passing through. But perhaps part of that is because I usually don't stay in that valley either. That said I've definitely had some fun times when conditions were good. I think that it does seem to get warm, slushy, patchy more than the other areas. But I am sure the "pissed twenty somethings" don't just stay on the slopes around Meribel or indeed that some don't stay in Val T!
ski holidays
bezthespaniard wrote:
NoMapNoCompass wrote:

Surprised about your thoughts on Meribel. We did all areas yesterday and today and I really rate the Meribel area.

Some lovely runs.

Definitely agree - the Meribel valley seems to get a lot of bashing, sometimes justified ... but mostly not.

There are some lovely. long and sweeping runs on the Tougnette ridge such as Faon + Lievre (stunning combo), Gelinotte, Dahu etc ...

Lapin down to Meribel Village is a family favourite.
snow report
Jerusalem was my fave piste.

Went down it 3 times today singing loudly as required
snow report
Ha! We only did it twice-once first thing, and then again around noon. Visibility was in and out all morning everywhere.
There's been some gently falling snow this afternoon, a cm or two. More overnight I hope!
ski holidays
What a great day. Did all 4 valleys in a day with blue skies and powdery pistes.

Amazing
snow report
Snowfall on Tuesday was about 10cm but with lots of wind so scoured in places and drifted in others - plenty of fun to be had though...

Wasn't up the hill today, but it went super-warm - will see what tomorrow brings (more warmth according to MeteoFrance!).

snow report
Tuesday was great Very Happy . Fresh snow, albeit wind blown in places. Mr P and I had a blast off the top of Olympic and down to Le Raffort. There was probably a good 5-6 inches of fresh snow in and around the trees. The overall snow cover was much more consistent on the Meribel side. The cloud came and went. We headed to Cote Brune chair intending to ski back down under the lift. The lift was stopping and starting when we got there. After a 10 min wait at the bottom it restarted, only for it to take at least 20-30 mins to get to the top, stop start all the way. By that time, and with cold hands, a dodgy lift and a chilly wind we headed home.

On Tuesday evening more snow fell - perhaps 2-3in at resort level, and we woke this morning to cloud/fog. It had got warmer and at 1400 m the fresh snow had a crusty top. However we felt very optimistic as we headed out this morning thinking that it would be fluffy up high. Sadly it wasn’t! Groomed runs topped up with crusty stuff were pretty challenging for all. We still had a good morning, but then lifts started closing cos of wind (then St M express broke down too!). It warmed up a lot today. Pistes were excellent by the end though, and the OP softened in the sun. Heading home tomorrow. Temps look mild for a few days which is a shame, but the new snow this week, though limited, has definitely improved on piste skiing.
latest report
Silly question, will cell phones work on the slopes?
ski holidays
visualx wrote:
Silly question, will cell phones work on the slopes?

Yes. As long as you have roaming or whatever. Great coverage.
snow conditions
@Perty, We'll be heading to 3V in a couple of weeks, not having been for a few years. Can you remind me, is it much of a walk from the bottom of Raffort to the Olympe lift? Also, what's the red Villages run like at the moment and how far is it from the bottom of that run to the Les Allues Olympe lift? Is it worth doing, or a mess? Thanks
ski holidays
@Hamlet, From memory Raffort is just across the road. From the bottom of villages it's a longer walk but you do arrive close to the bus stop. No idea what it's like at the moment.
latest report
@Hamlet, bottom of Villages run is literally across a road to lift. with the new cabins and faster running it is worth skiing down. did it yesterday and quite nice . The Les Allues run is shut at the moment lack of cover.
snow conditions
Thanks both. It looks like the Villages run to Les Allues is shut. Will aim for Raffort if it's still open.
snow report
@Hamlet, the access to the telecabine at Raffort is much improved with a ramp replacing the old metal steps. The Raffort run is easier since it was widened. As others have said, the run to Allues is closed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can anyone please recommend a family friendly restaurant in Le Praz? We are stopping there for 1 night next week on our way to Mottaret. Thanks very much.
ski holidays
@franga, Le Praz as in Courchevel Le Praz? Why would you stop there en route to Mottaret - it's only a short drive from there - maybe 20 mins or so? In terms of places to eat, I dont think Le Praz has a lot to offer, it's pretty small. I dont think there would be more than a handful of places to choose between.
ski holidays
monkey wrote:
@franga, Le Praz as in Courchevel Le Praz? Why would you stop there en route to Mottaret - it's only a short drive from there - maybe 20 mins or so? In terms of places to eat, I dont think Le Praz has a lot to offer, it's pretty small. I dont think there would be more than a handful of places to choose between.

@monkey, yes. We are flying out on Friday to avoid the Saturday queues and are spending the night in Le Praz before our week in Mottaret (Saturday to Saturday). We normally stay in La Tania and we would have booked the Marmottons but we just fancy a change.
latest report
franga wrote:
Can anyone please recommend a family friendly restaurant in Le Praz? We are stopping there for 1 night next week on our way to Mottaret. Thanks very much.

Not been to Le Praz for a few years, but there used to be a pizzeria with a lively bar.
snow report
The elephant in le praz is decent. Good pizza and nice relaxed bar.
snow report
Rich D wrote:
The elephant in le praz is decent. Good pizza and nice relaxed bar.

Booked it last night, thank you.
ski holidays
Is the Saulire cable car running? I think not, but can find no info.
snow conditions
joffy69 wrote:

Out of action all season as I understand it.
snow report
joffy69 wrote:

Has been closed since I’ve been here since Thursday.
latest report
Cov_lad wrote:
joffy69 wrote:

Has been closed since I’ve been here since Thursday.

The sign says closed all winter. Pre season testing incident apparently.
latest report
Yes, closed all season. Don't know how to post photos, but this link will show you. In testing they run it at higher than normal speed, loaded with weights...and, well, let's say it didn't go well. Both cable cars have been removed and will apparently be back next winter...

https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1446031205976186886
latest report
I came back from Meribel last weekend.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before in this thread, however the piste maps handed out by the lift pass offices and the identical maps around the mountains are not up to date. The new La Masse gondola is not shown neither is the new gondola above Platieres.

The most surprising omission for me, was that none of the lifts in the Orelle valley are shown at all. There is another new gondola bringing you back from where the previous chair was. There is yet another new gondola descending into Orelle itself. It is not possible to ski down however I took the gondola out of curiosity which turned out to be a twenty minute journey each way!

There are also two new chairlifts in the valley which I do not recall previously. With so much significant investment I cannot understand why it is not better publicised.

Be wary of the black run down into Orelle from the top of the Cime de Caron cable car. When I did it, it was windblown and very icy. Take the red down from the other high point.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy