Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
Petra wrote:
So what’s the lift queue like in La Villa (bottom of gran risa) and San cassiano? These are always a huge crush of people -20 cm distance impossible let alone 2m? Are they enforcing distancing somehow or is it usual scrum situation?

And can someone explain how you upload your QR code to the pass? Do you have to scan it from the Dolomiti Superski app? Does each person need the app or can you have more than one pass registered?

A week ago queue was spaced outside (0.5m ish) until you went through the gates where it was the usual crush. In the cabins themselves they aren't as busy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Petra, No distancing, just well enforced FFP2 wearing. Add booster only QR to Dolomiti Superski app. It's easy, the app walks you through it. It has to be revalidated each morning, which is actually pointless, but required.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks all…when they do check QR codes in restaurants are they asking for id? I don’t mind carrying our drivers license but would really rather not carry teens passport ….
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Petra wrote:
Thanks all…when they do check QR codes in restaurants are they asking for id? I don’t mind carrying our drivers license but would really rather not carry teens passport ….

From experience last week at the PreBB we had on many occasions to do the Green Pass QR code check but never had to show ID.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Petra wrote:

They're not asking. Not once.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevew wrote:
Petra wrote:

From experience last week at the PreBB we had on many occasions to do the Green Pass QR code check but never had to show ID.

Last week we were not asked to show the green pass at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Howling wind again today in the later afternoon, many exposed pistes are now more like skating than skiing!

We encountered very hard packed skaty stuff above plan de gralba, on the run down from Dantercepies to Colfosco and yesterday up on Pralongia (assume it was same today). Although some snow is forecast, with the high winds I don't know what good it will really do.

But in the morning today we had some great runs off Dantercepies.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks very windy again tomorrow which will probably close some of the connecting lifts.
The outlook from GEFS is dry well into February but with less wind later this week and more sun the skiing should quickly improve once the scouring stops and the snow is groomed back into perfection !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just had a quick look at the webcams around Selva and it looks like there might be a little snow falling snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
WePowder are suggesting 15-20cm of fresh around Sella Ronda areas in coming days as there is expected some spillover from the Nordstau that is dumping on Austria. If that transpires, it should freshen & pretty things up a bit for half term snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:
WePowder are suggesting 15-20cm of fresh around Sella Ronda areas in coming days as there is expected some spillover from the Nordstau that is dumping on Austria. If that transpires, it should freshen & pretty things up a bit for half term snowHead snowHead

It needs it. The high winds stripped many areas back to base ice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Downside of the Dolomites is there is often a shortages of natural snow
Upside there are lots of blue sky ski days
Would you prefer Dolomites at the moment with blue sky's or Austria with the last few days blizzards Puzzled
I know we all want fresh snow and sunshine but we are up mountains in the winter.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3cm reported in Canazei today. Hopefully more tomorrow! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bolzano radar now showing snow across the Northern Dolomites, covering Val Gardena and Alta Badia
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
20cm of new snow at altitude reported for Canazei on Bergfex this morning. 10cm reported at Alta Badia. Hopefully there'll be more as the day continues. snowHead
latest report
10cm reported further south at Passo San Pellegrino too snowHead

Some nice crumbs falling from the Austrian table! Very Happy
ski holidays
There's definitely been snowfall into the valleys, the webcam at the village nursery slopes in Campitello is showing an accumulation of white stuff on the fences and pavement compared to yesterday.

https://www.bergfex.com/campitello-fassatal-col-rodella-val-fassa/webcams/c4988/

The next week to 10 days is currently looking pretty dry as the Atlantic High continues blocking and forcing the jet stream north.
latest report
I've just discovered a potential problem.

When you buy the skipass online for under 16's you have to put the pass in the same name as their passport (passports show "first middle")

But the covid pass only shows "first" not middle name. So will it validate online?

Has anyone done this???
latest report
I can't imagine this will be a problem but if it is I guess you just go down to the lift pass office an ask them to change the name.
ski holidays
That all assumes that the pass office are helpful! I think we are currently planning on buying the pass in person so we can show the problem....
snow report
Going down to buy the lift pass in person is certainly the safe way to do it. I have to say though that I've always found the people in the dolomite pass offices very helpful and friendly so I'd happily do it either way.
snow report
@Petra, when we bought passes on the Saturday afternoon on arrival in Pozza, there was no queue at the ticket office. If you're in resort in time, definitely worthwhile buying them the day before you start skiing, to save the hassle and faff, and potential queues.
ski holidays
I should imagine first and last name on skipasses would suffice, as long as these are the same as on the passport and the pic matches the face! wink
latest report
One data point, my lift pass this week says First Middle Last and it validates fine with my covid pass which just says First Last.
latest report
Garfield wrote:
Downside of the Dolomites is there is often a shortages of natural snow
Upside there are lots of blue sky ski days
Would you prefer Dolomites at the moment with blue sky's or Austria with the last few days blizzards Puzzled
I know we all want fresh snow and sunshine but we are up mountains in the winter.

I want both!

(Actually, I prefer blue skies...that's why we go to the Dolomites...my eyes are getting worse and worse as I age and flat light is miserable for me...so a little slush and some brown patches are ok...)
ski holidays
There are so many great itineraries to do in the Dolomites that you need good weather to plan for them, especially if only out there for 6 days.
ski holidays
Bergfex and BBC are both forecasting some snow showers on Monday followed by some unusually hot days mid week. Bergfex are saying 12-14C in Corvara on Wednesday and Thursday. eek!
ski holidays
Quote:
I should imagine first and last name on skipasses would suffice, as long as these are the same as on the passport and the pic matches the face!

The issue is that that doesn't work if you are buying ski passes on line for under 16s - then the name on the ski pass has to exactly match that on the passport - and passports show ALL names in the first name field (including middle names). I'm pretty sure pass office will be fine - and I've heard a rumour that the pass office can validate your pass for the whole week so you don't have to muck around doing it every morning! Which would be brilliant!

But @pinkpig says
Quote:
One data point, my lift pass this week says First Middle Last and it validates fine with my covid pass which just says First Last.
which is really good news!!

Thanks all - I'm actually starting to believe we might be there soon!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Current plan for the week
Day 1 - Badia Plateau with whole large group of us
Day 2 - Sella Orange possibly followed by Sella Green if lift queues not too bad.
Day 3/4 Kronplatz/Falzarego-Cinque Torre-Cortina (dying to try the new lift)
Day 5 - if we can get to Alpe de Siusi on skis we will - depends how many want to come with us and how fast they ski!
Day 6 - back to Plateau

Let's hope the weather/snow hold up and everything else works! And that no-one catches plague.
ski holidays
For Alpe di Suisi, ski to Monte Pana off of the back of Piz Sella ( beautiful wooded track run) and catch the bus. It's one bus trip worth taking. wink
snow conditions
Yes the Monte Pana route is the plan - it’s just a question of how quickly we can get there from Corvara…some of us are effectively limited by lift speed only but the others are not quite so speedy! But if we set off early we can be there in 2 hours, which gives us a couple of hours in Alpe de Siusi before we have to head back!
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Bergfex and BBC are both forecasting some snow showers on Monday followed by some unusually hot days mid week. Bergfex are saying 12-14C in Corvara on Wednesday and Thursday. eek!

Hmmm, getting a bit worried about all that. It's looking very dry and warm next week in the Dollies and not convinced there was as much snow as claimed this week either.

Toying with options further north for HT, I can still swap for free, worth doing? Confused
ski holidays
Petra wrote:
That all assumes that the pass office are helpful! I think we are currently planning on buying the pass in person so we can show the problem....

Sounds like a good option, they will be helpful, they want to sell you a pass.

I wasn't planning on prepurchasing lift passes. I don't think there's any advantage/discount. What if someone gets the Plague and can't go?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-02-22 12:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Petra wrote:
Yes the Monte Pana route is the plan - it’s just a question of how quickly we can get there from Corvara…some of us are effectively limited by lift speed only but the others are not quite so speedy! But if we set off early we can be there in 2 hours, which gives us a couple of hours in Alpe de Siusi before we have to head back!

An hour tops. Down Dantercepies into town, up Ciampinoi, ski down to Plan de Gralba, take the Piz Sella Cable car, not Piz Seteur gondola. Out of top station, ski down to Comicci restaurant and at the back is route to Monte Pana.
latest report
The 06Z GFS is showing a possible extensive snowfall with deepening cold on 11th/12th for N Italy.

Just over a week away, so trying to get indication of likelyhood from experts on the weather outlook thread. It may be an outlier or may be a feature that keeps cropping up.
latest report
Have piste conditions improved now that the wind has calmed down ? Almost everything looks to be open.
Looks like they are making snow again today. The piste depths are now 99cms on the upper slopes and 60 on the lower runs. Presumably enough to last the season out now?
https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en
ski holidays
Doesn't seem like we have anyone on the ground this week. snowHead

There looks to be a bit of spillover from the N tomorrow, not a lot though, then a very mild spell midweek.

The event starting next Fri eve into Saturday keeps cropping up with effects across swathes of N Italy, worth keeping an eye on, as depending on freeze levels and extent of precipitation, could affect transfer day.
snow conditions
Another random question - has anyone had their insurance details queried? Do we need to carry insurance docs or can we just leave them in the hotel room/have them on the phone?
snow conditions
Petra wrote:
Another random question - has anyone had their insurance details queried? Do we need to carry insurance docs or can we just leave them in the hotel room/have them on the phone?

No, never been asked to show. Only likely should you have an accident where Carabinieri become involved and/or medical assistance. A helivac is rumoured to cost in the region of 20k Euro.

I do however, always carry my ins. docs., just in case.
snow report
I'm still keeping an eye out, but the guys on the main Weather Outlook thread are suggesting the feature on 11/12th is weak and not supported across the models, so Atlantic blocking, high pressure, largely dry pattern looks set to dominate N Italy well into Feb, after tomorrow's cooler blast and crumbs spilling over from N.

But maybe it's the best thing for sunny lunches on the terrace at Half Term with children! Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy