Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
timlongs wrote:
sbooker wrote:
I put this in the Tignes section but I’ll put it here too as the week before I’m in Les Arcs-

I’m due to be in the Tarentaise in mid March. I’ve recently read in another part of the forum that “France doesn’t have good beer anyway”.
I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a decent ale while I’m holidaying. Please tell me there is an availability of decent ale (if it’s the crafty IPA type stuff even better). If it is only the watery lager styles I will be abstaining for the week.

Hey, I run a brewery in the valley (Sapaudia Brewing Co.) and live in Bourg.

You can find our IPAs (Lost in the Woods & Cosmique IPA) at the following places in Les Arcs.

Charlys Factory at the funi in BSM
Mont Blanc in Vallandry
Bois de l'ours in 2000
Benjis in 1800

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Does a Les Arcs day pass give access to the funicular down to BSM for an evening meal or bit of shopping?

The normal use of a day pass in Les Arcs is to park at the funicular and use that to get up to Les Arcs. As @Arctic Roll, says it is easy to get the funicular down to Bourg st Maurice. We use it to go down for shopping - big rucksacs and a walk to the Super-U - and have gone down to use the municipal swimming pool. This is a "proper" pool that you can swim in as opposed to the leisure pool in 1800. Interestingly my son and I had to walk across to the sports shop and buy speedos as men have very prescribed requirements on swimming attire.

I would reccomend a shopping trip to the Super-U and see some proper French produce for sale - lots of different sea food and fishes, rabbit and some interesting cuts of meat, including andouillette

There is one problem with going down for a meal. They have just changed the times of the funicular. It now stops about 21:00, too late to go down for an evening meal.

Too late for an evening meal?
So if you make your dinner reservation for 7pm and are back at the funicular by 9pm all is good?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross wrote:
timlongs wrote:
sbooker wrote:
I put this in the Tignes section but I’ll put it here too as the week before I’m in Les Arcs-

I’m due to be in the Tarentaise in mid March. I’ve recently read in another part of the forum that “France doesn’t have good beer anyway”.
I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a decent ale while I’m holidaying. Please tell me there is an availability of decent ale (if it’s the crafty IPA type stuff even better). If it is only the watery lager styles I will be abstaining for the week.

Hey, I run a brewery in the valley (Sapaudia Brewing Co.) and live in Bourg.

You can find our IPAs (Lost in the Woods & Cosmique IPA) at the following places in Les Arcs.

Charlys Factory at the funi in BSM
Mont Blanc in Vallandry
Bois de l'ours in 2000
Benjis in 1800

Awesome, and good luck with the business. Do those bars stock your beers kegged or bottled ?

Yes all in keg. You can find our cans in Super U in BSM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
@timlongs, any bars in Les Coches selling?

not in Les Choches but Camp de Base in Montchavin have our beer on tap.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, Isn't 7pm a tad early for an evening meal? Normally I book for 8. But as you say if you can find a place for 7 and out by 8:30 then you'd be OK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thought I'd seen that the Funni, had a late night service finishing at 11pm on Thursday evenings?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gilly76, You are correct. The message sent from the operating company earlier appears to appy only to the navettes running between the villages where they will stop the service around 21:00. The funicular will still run until 23:00 on Thursdays Smile

I hope I have that right; a taxi back to 1600 costs around 50€
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
@sbooker, Isn't 7pm a tad early for an evening meal? Normally I book for 8. But as you say if you can find a place for 7 and out by 8:30 then you'd be OK.

Back from skiing. Relax and shower. Head out about 5.00pm for a couple of pre-dinner drinks. Dinner at 7pm. Early to bed for another big day on snow the next day.
Other evenings we can stay in the village and enjoy apres or make it a late night. I'm keen to check out this place that someone put me onto.
https://www.facebook.com/cherrygardenbourg/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good choice, we'll be in there Thursday evening next week.

It's an easy 5-10 minute walk from the Funni station.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all - we've been here since late Sunday night. I bought a 6 day pass online starting from Monday morning, but declined the offer to get the extra half day the day before, since we were arriving so late. Turns out we aren't being picked up till gone lunchtime on Sunday, so could quite easily get a morning of skiing in on Sunday. Does anyone know if I rock up to the pass office, they'll give me my extra half day the morning after the pass expires, rather than the afternoon before it starts?

Doesn't seem to be an option to add a half day online.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A new live view webcam has been added to the Les Arcs website, at the top of the Varet gondola.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where is my old mate snowcrazy? JS and friends will be out in w/c 12th March.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The livecam from the Combettes lift now appears to have gone. This (apart from showing my aparment building) was usful in showing real world snow conditions at the end of the season at the lowest part of the main sk area.

From the Varet lift livecam you can watch people being launhed down the zipwire towards 2000.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE The Combettes livecam seems to be working this morning
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skitrack, great and thank you for the notification.
Now I can watch my friends heading out for the day.
latest report
Getting really excited now. Less than one week until we leave Oz. We’re in Les Arcs for the week starting 14-3-22. It will be exactly two years since we last saw snow (Aspen in March 2020). I’m hoping we can still ski!
On that I’m looking at getting a private lesson on our first day. Just something that can give us some things to work on over the ensuing days. (We are doing Snoworks courses in Tignes the following week). It will be our first ever ski lesson so we’ll need someone that can work with experienced skiers with ‘homegrown’ techniques.
Suggestions?
snow report
@sbooker, JP McCarthy at https://www.ski-aim.com/ or John Thomas at https://www.skinewgen.com/peisey-vallandry-ski-school/ . Both are great instructors, native English speakers and nice guys.
snow report
Thanks@rob@rar,
snow report
@sbooker, agree with Rob, if you can get JP you'll be in good hands. Thoroughly nice chap.
snow conditions
@sbooker, I wouldn't book the private for the first day. You will quickly get back on the bike even after 2 years but the first day you will be rusty and finding your ski legs. Second or even third day would be better.
snow report
Thanks all.
snow report
I just discovered this forum and my family (2 adults, 2 kids) are skiing Les Arcs mid March for 3 days. We're from Canada and ski mostly blues and single black runs in larger western North American resorts (occasional double blacks but we do them slowly we're ok). Since it's our first time to ski in France, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the Classic pass for the first 2 days and only ski Les Arcs, and then the 3rd day get the Essential pass and go over to La Plagne. Is 2 days in Les Arcs enough to explore most of the mountain?

Will the Priority Lines be useful if we're skiing on March 17-19?

What's the quickest way to get from the Funicular over to La Plagne?

We're staying in a hotel in Bourg Saint Maurice, so we'd have to come back to ride the funicular at the end of the day. Thx.
snow conditions
@royaljelly288, welcome to snowheads.

1st up - good choice of your first ski experience in France!

I would suggest since it is your first time in Les Arcs, and as you have described your level, that a Classic is exactly the right thing to do. Since you're only here for three days, with a necessity to return to 1600 for the funi each day, there's more than enough territory to enjoy on this side of the domain.
As an example, we ski 3 weeks a year for 20 years in Les Arcs, and still only venture over to La Plagne 4 or 5 days a year.

Having said that, nothing ventured, nothing gained - and I wouldn't put you off exploring further afield. I would suggest you buy the Classic for 3 days ( don't worry about priority passes at that time of year, they gain a little bit, but honestly, not very much) and then you can get an extension from the lift pass office at Peisey (about 100yds past the Vanoise express entrance) if you decide you want to do the trip.

To get from the top of funi ( 1600) over the Plan Peisey You can do it in 2 lifts - Either Mont Blanc or Cachettes, and from both take the Belvedere blue to Arpette - from the top of which you can ski direct to the Vanoise (Arpettes3, Chamotteger and Plan Bois Pistes, all blue).

But note that these blues make it a journey across the mountain face rather than up and down it so if you want to have a bit more fun on the way, then there are plenty of options for dropping lower and getting lifts back up - you'll probably get used to the layout in your preceding days, so you'll feel comfortable with it by the time you go across.

Once over, it is a bit of a trek to get into the main La Plagne areas, so advice is to get there as early in the day as possible to explore the full range of skiing on offer in their part of the domain.

Coming back JohnE will probably be better placed to advise, but once across the Vanoise, it is again a minimum of 2 lifts, Peisey and Derby (or Peisey and TransArc 1): the most direct i think is to use the Traversee 3,2,1 to get back to 1600 and the funicular station. I might stay a bit higher (by taking a 3rd lift) and use the Arpette track, but obviously it will depend on your available time.

As I say though, JohnE may have some other options - he's a 1600 resident so knows the prettier / slightly steeper and therefore faster routes.

TL:DR plan on a minimum of a day exploring the 1600/1800 face; a day in the 2000 / 1950 bowl, and if the weather holds, a trip across and into La Plagne for day 3, Or explore more of the existing Les Arcs terrain, because you are unlikely to have covered it all in 2 days!

But whichever and whatever you do, have a great time. I'm sure you will - and I think there may be other snowheads around that week (we don't arrive until 19th) who will be delighted to show you the hidden gems.
latest report
@royaljelly288, AR has it pretty much right.

We stay in Les Coches so we can swing both ways but if I was staying in Bourg and had 3 days skiing I would stick with Les Arcs.

Must do's - get up the Aiguille Rouge, enjoy the views and then ski the 2km vertical down to Villaroger. The runs above Vallandry are especially nice through the trees. If the weather is snowy that is the place to be but if not go there anyway. Down Malgovert and Mont Blanc (first bit interesting, second bit open and tranquil). Plenty more you will find too.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-03-22 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@royaljelly288, My suggestions are as follows.

1/ Just get the classic pass for 3 days. If you exhaust your runs in Les Arcs after 2 days then get an extension at the lift pass office in Peissey as @Arctic Roll, says. Like him I usually ski a couple weeks a year in Les Arcs and maybe go over to La Plagne only once or twice a season. It feels like a long trek without a lot of intersting skiing. We often get as far as the Vallandry sector and just think "this is nice" and don't bother going across.

2/ However, if you do want to get from Bourg st Maurice to La Plagne. Take the Cachette lift and ski down to the Arpette from there it is a straightforward ski to the Vanoise Express. We tend to ski all the way from the top the cachette to the Vallandry lift but it is easy to get lost on this route and the vallandry lift has now been replaced by a telecabine

3/ For the return we use the Peissey lift followed by Vagere. From there we take the red piste cutting across to the Altiport to watch people taking a bath then often the quiet piste Gollet and the gentle track through the woods and chalets back to 1600.

4/ The last funicular back is about 21:00 so you can have a drink at the Altiport before returning.
ski holidays
Thank you guys so much for all those extremely helpful tips. I'll have to study my trail map to find all those amazing routes you've all suggested.

If we do venture into some off piste areas to search for some fresh powder, but not bring any avalanche gear, do you think it's too risky (we aren't expert skiers but more advanced-intermediates)? johnE mentioned about being easy to get lost on one of the runs, and I heard from friends who also skied in Europe many years ago that sometimes the signage is not the best. Are there wide open unmarked areas we should avoid skiing to search for fresh powder?

Are the passes the same price if I buy online early vs. if I buy on the first morning I get to the ticket window? Can I also buy the passes at the Bourg Saint Maurice train station on the day I arrive (one day before we start skiing)?

The dinners in Bourg Saint Maurice seem a bit underwhelming at the restaurants I researched (we're foodies as well and love authentic/regional french cuisine). Is there a restaurant in Les Arcs that is worth riding the funi back up for a dinner meal for one night?

Also which places do you guys like for lunch in Les Arcs? Doesn't have to be fancy sit down meal, a quick bite or even a good cafeteria style place is ok too.
latest report
royaljelly288 wrote:
If we do venture into some off piste areas to search for some fresh powder, but not bring any avalanche gear, do you think it's too risky (we aren't expert skiers but more advanced-intermediates)? johnE mentioned about being easy to get lost on one of the runs, and I heard from friends who also skied in Europe many years ago that sometimes the signage is not the best. Are there wide open unmarked areas we should avoid skiing to search for fresh powder?

So don't conflate two things. Pistes are well marked and well sign posted. The reason it's easy to get lost is because pistes crisscross each other.

Off piste, the advice in Europe in general would always be to not ski off piste without knowledge of where, why and how avalanches can occur, without avalanche rescue kit (bleeper, probe and shovel) for all participants and the knowledge to use them. Off piste in Europe (outside of the marked piste) is not secured or patrolled routinely. Alternatively you go with a guide who will provide all of the former. That all said.... there are slopes with near zero risk, slopes that are clearly visible from the lifts/nearby slopes that you can have some fun on. And with younger children that is all you can/want to do anyway. It's quite possible someone will come and flame me. As often happens on these threads/discussions. There are some people for whom there is no grey area. It's clearly your choice.

royaljelly288 wrote:
Are the passes the same price if I buy online early vs. if I buy on the first morning I get to the ticket window??

Pretty much. If you are skiing on a Saturday it is cheaper to do this: https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/samedi-je-skie
snow report
@royaljelly288, where the Belvedere piste crosses the Charmatogger piste it is more or less horizontal and not clearly signposted. The temptation is too drift too low and get into the crisscrossing pistes around there. It is the only problem area in Les Arcs.

As to offpiste @Layne, is correct, but there is a large amount of skiing through the trees if thats your thing.

My favourite place for lunch is the Hotel Vanoise - just order the plat du jour
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@royaljelly288, If I was eating slopeside then on the run from 1800 to Peisey, we always stop at le Blanche Muree. When in the 1950 bowl, then best value & craic is the Bulle (just at the Arcabulle lift) or Chalet de l'Arc , just a bit further down the hill (towards 2000). But as per previous posts on this thread, there's not many bad places out there.

And if you get to stop in 1950, then its ski to the door for all the restaurants and shops. Build by Intrawest, it a 'mini' Tremblant if you are familiar with Canadian East coast skiing!
ski holidays
@royaljelly288,
I’m in 1800 for your dates but being a first timer will be of no help showing you around. If you’re happy to spend some time with a forty something Aussie couple give me a shout. We could swap war stories about BC ski hills as I do have at least some experience in western Canada.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@royaljelly288, where the Belvedere piste crosses the Charmatogger piste it is more or less horizontal and not clearly signposted. The temptation is too drift too low and get into the crisscrossing pistes around there. It is the only problem area in Les Arcs.

As to offpiste @Layne, is correct, but there is a large amount of skiing through the trees if thats your thing.

My favourite place for lunch is the Hotel Vanoise - just order the plat du jour

This is helpful. Noted the trees. Noted the Hotel Vanoise which appears to be in Peisey?
snow conditions
Quote:
This is helpful. Noted the trees. Noted the Hotel Vanoise which appears to be in Peisey?

Yes, it's slightly off to one side under the Peisey lift: if snow is in good condition, you can ski onto their terrace. But you need to spot it before you get down to the lift entrance, and make your way across: otherwise its about a 100m shlepp up the hill.
Can take a bit longer than a "Quick! give me food, I need to be back on the snow" type of lunch, but it is very nice, and especially useful if the weather conditions are a bit meh, and you want a nice sit-down indoor meal.
snow report
@sbooker, thx for the offer to meet up. Since it's both of our first time at Les Arcs, it might be like the "blind leading the blind" Smile

For the tree runs on Vallandry side, I've been studying the trail map and google maps, trying to figure out how dense the trees really are. Our family loves to weave thru trees (usually at a slower speed). Is it possible to ski thru these tree areas, or is it too dense?
snow conditions
The trees are fairly dense but it is possible to ski between them. It is not just around Vallandry but also in the trees below the deux tete and malgovert in 1600. Beware children with their shorter skis can do it much easier than adults. It is also fairly easy to lose contact with one another so work out a protocol in advance. Once in deep snow I got my skis stuck under a sapling bent over by the snow covering it. It took ages to extradite myself.
ski holidays
royaljelly288 wrote:
@sbooker, thx for the offer to meet up. Since it's both of our first time at Les Arcs, it might be like the "blind leading the blind" Smile

For the tree runs on Vallandry side, I've been studying the trail map and google maps, trying to figure out how dense the trees really are. Our family loves to weave thru trees (usually at a slower speed). Is it possible to ski thru these tree areas, or is it too dense?

Skiing in the trees was really good fun a couple of weeks ago when I was last there with the children, they spent nearly as much time in the trees as they did on piste, and as John says, making it look much easier on their short skis!
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Beware children with their shorter skis can do it much easier than adults. It is also fairly easy to lose contact with one another so work out a protocol in advance.

I'd agree with the issue and with children it's difficult to have a protocol other than have one adult follow each child and the child being told to not get too far ahead and maintain visual contact. But easier said than done. We have had a couple of temporary loss of contact but always managed to meet up in the end.
snow report
Can't wait to get to Arc1800 on 2nd April. I've missed my second home. I normally ski Feb half term and this will be my first Easter trip there.

Does the ski show and fireworks still happen on a Wednesday in April like it does in Feb?

Has anyone taken on the Red Hot Saloon bar yet? Its a great place to sit outside in the sun for a beer.
snow report
Morning Guys anyone coming out to stay in 2000 this Saturday. Just wondering if anyone can give an upto date precis of the conditions from what I can gather from the website it's a bit icey and dicey.
latest report
@Arteta10, from what I've read believe piste conditions have been generally excellent because the temps have stayed low. However, freezing level is forecast to rise substantially from Monday through Wednesday so could get heavy/slushy - with maybe some precipitation finally turning up mid-week.
snow conditions
@Arteta10, I have friends skiing in Les Arcs at the moment and they are having a great time. They have made no comments at all on the condition of the snow so I assume it is good. The livecams show pretty good snow conditions as well but obviously they only show a tiny part of the resort.

As @Layne, says you may have spring like conditions next week anyway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy