Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Ben Wyvis
Winter's on its way Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do they have a "snowfactory" installation at Glencoe?
I see the typical cone-shaped mountains of snow, seems to be artificial.
Or is it just traditional snowguns.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing up here in Shetland rn, looks like some decent potential accumulations down South (everywhere is South) [Windy, next 3 days]

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Onnem, yes one snow factory I believe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot of fresh snow in Lochaber overnight, was surprised how much came in overnight, first noticeable snowfall of the winter for us in the west. Nevis area and Grey Corries very white and not just tops.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some eye-catching phrases on the MWIS forecast for the Cairngorms NP on Friday and Saturday. If you don't read these forecasts often - it's rare for them to use this type of wording.

Friday:

"How windy (on the Munros): Northwesterly 40mph morning. From middle of day, abruptly 70-90mph to in gusts 100-120mph in hurricane force winds."

"How wet: "Snow, intermittently heavy giving whiteout. Sometimes hail and risk thunder. Least precipitation S Cairngorms NP to Ben Alder, where little snow morning. Widespread very heavy snowfall to lowest slopes developing toward and after sunset from the north. Extreme falls northern areas in particular."

Saturday:

"How wet: After a massive fall of heavily drifted snow overnight; further snow and blowing snow will bring sustained whiteout to higher areas. Showers with small risk thunder."
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@denfinella, Indeed - snow is not that surprising as the weather has definitely turned over the last week or so. While its looked "benign" the temperatures and windchill have fallen off a cliff.

Those wind numbers though !!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Loads of snow today, roads shut at hayfield. This is hayfield carpark.

https://i.ibb.co/N9D37sB/20211128-110937.jpg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Loads of snow today, roads shut at hayfield. This is hayfield carpark.
Similar to when Cairngorm infamously described cover as 'cosmetic' and didn't open... Toofy Grin

Oh! They're closed from 1 Nov to 6 Dec anyway... rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could be a good season if Swiss disease catches on in France and Italy!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Telephone, mobile phone, electricity has been out since Friday evening. Just been turned back on today! It is cold here, and there is some snow on the ground. No skiing yet though!

I have two networks, both of which the local tower stopped sending signals. One of them did give a very weak signal from the 3rd floor, but this must have been from another tower as there was no signal from that network locally where it usually gives 5 bars. (these are 2g phones, so it is not 3 network which does not do 2g!)

On the other hand there is a lot of dead wood lying around. 5 trees uprooted by the road, two taking half the road with them. The cycle path has had lots of trees crash down, local car parks have trees down all over the place, however it is not stopping people parking there. Tree cutters are too busy to bother with these windfalls currently!

The only battery which went flat was my electric toothbrush, I had to go manual this morning!

Frozen food in the freezer remained frozen. Tested the temperature in the freezer yesterday at 3c, temperature where the freezer is did not go above 6c. Fridge stayed at 6c as the room temperature in the kitchen barely got above 8c. (however the frozen area of the fridge defrosted and I had to clean up some water from the drip tray)

Luckily I have plenty of canned gas for many different sized stove heaters. So I had some coffee and could cook my chicken soup.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 28-11-21 18:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Lecht webcam has been off for a couple of days so does anyone know if they've had a big dump of snow there? I'm hoping they have and I'm hoping they'll open this week if the rain and milder temperatures hold off.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Electricity went off again this morning at 9am, and came back on at about 3.30pm. Also I have a signal now from both mobile networks (which came on today at about 2pm when I noticed), albeit a weak signal which is normal.

My electric toothbrush is still charging..... Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BBC traffic was reporting snow gates shut at Spittal of Glenshee today. Has to be a good sign Puzzled
latest report
Only skied Scotland once. Tempted to change France for Scotland this Boxing Day. Was looking at staying at Moness Resort and skiing Glenshee. But route planners suggest a 4 hr detour to get there from Moness. Is this really going to be the case?
snow conditions
@Macker13, what is suggesting a 4 hour detour? Google maps shows a 1hr 13min trip.
snow conditions
@kitenski, Moness resort is near Aberfeldy, to get to Glenshee you would have to go via Pitlochry - Kirkmichael, not sure what route they are suggesting but knowing these roads I think it would be more than 1hr 13min but definitely not 4 hours
snow report
@larry1950,

ski holidays
@Macker13, I wouldn’t come to Scotland over the festive season expecting to ski - in any of the ski areas. They might be open, they might well not have any snow. Plenty of other fun things to do, though, if skiing isn’t an option - if you come looking forward to getting outdoors you’ll have a blast. But best not to think of it as equivalent to an Alpine ski resort package holiday.
snow report
Cairngorm has a covering to low levels today Very Happy - but freezing level rising over the next few days Confused

Still nice to see though.

ski holidays
Amidst all this international travel chaos... Scotland's had a fair bit of snow this week, especially in the east.

At least four days of falling snow in Edinburgh in the last 10 days too, which is good going for the time of year.
snow conditions
Glencoe and Cairngorm looking very white today Very Happy

Glencoe will need a lot more snow to cover all the rocks, but wondering if Cairngorm might try and get something open soon. (A train to the top would be very handy rolling eyes )

snow report
CG not opening till 17th and railway closed for season.
latest report
Lecht has done some pisting already so on the ball for trying to keep the snow attached to the hill. Most places only open from Weekend after next so fingers crossed we get some decent snow inbetween times.
snow report
Quote:
CG not opening till 17th and railway closed for season
In years gone by, the ski centres would take advantage of November or early December snow and open as a result. No longer, it would seem...

My handy train to the top remark was an attempt (somewhat misguided) at humour... rolling eyes I'm aware that it last ran at the same time as Stephenson's Rocket Toofy Grin
latest report
The Lecht is filling in nicely Very Happy

snow conditions
The Lecht and Cairngorm are looking nice and white at present - but has anybody been up for a spot of ski touring Puzzled

Just got a good price on accommodation for Sunday night so will be going for it (ie ski touring) somewhere that day after staying in Perth on Saturday night. We're very easily pleased - and any turns at all will be a bonus - especially as it's my birthday Very Happy

The panorama cam is off at Glenshee but we're assuming it's got snow because Glenshee has.... So, Cairngorm, Glenshee or The Lecht? That is the question!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/

Sunny side opening this weekend
ski holidays
If you @mountainaddict, indulge in Facebook there is a huge volume of reports from folk who have been out on the hills in the last 4 or 5 days. My impression is that it would be well worth a go at either Cairngorm or Glenshee.
snow report
Just been back to Facebook and can confirm further skiing activity off the back of Cairngorm today.
The group appeared to have skied down the south side to Loch Avon. Snow cover looks terrific.
@mountainaddict,
snow report
https://app.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
snow conditions
I'm keeping a close eye on The Lecht as I get the impression they're more likely to open than anyone else. The minute they're open, snowboard is going in the van and I'm off up the M6. Hope to sneak past the border guards just north of Carlisle.
snow report
Glenshee is open albeit very partially today.
snow conditions
The Lecht are open this weekend. Not sure if they'll be open next week.
snow conditions
Quote:
Glenshee is open albeit very partially today
Sunnyside only. Snow cover looks fantastic on the panorama webcam.
That's the good news.

And now the bad news...Lift tickets are sold out for every day shown on the booking calendar... Confused
snow report
@boisdevie, Lecht is opening for the weekend, from site "We hope to open Eagle, Grouse, Carpets and the Buzzard. These will be confirmed in the morning".

Cairngorm is opening the Daylodge run, only 100 tickets available, Glencoe are also going to open the lower runs, again only 100 tickets, both say intermediate/experienced only. As Glenshee are already open only Nevis Range will be closed.
ski holidays
100 tickets won't get very far. Also the forecast for next week is very mild which makes me wonder if what snow there is will last. I'm tempted to go but it's a 600 mile round trip which I'm reluctant to do if I can't snowboard when I get there.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info earlier Rogerdodger. I'm not on Facebook, so very useful.
snow conditions
Can't find Lecht ticket price on the website...Or any information on whether you can just turn up and buy a ticket Confused

Not ideal...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy